Welcome to Gaia! ::

Today, it's about who you know. It's not even about your skills or passion for the job/career anymore. You worked 2-4+ years to get that degree in whatever, had loads of internships to gain experience, and have so much passion and interest, and you even learned all you can about the company.

In yet you lose to a 1.8 GPA student who dropped out of college, just because he/she knows the employer's cousin. The ********?

Just because you don't know people doesn't mean you'd suck at the job. I mean, you might have a family to look after. Maybe you live on your own and you need this career, not just because you love it, but because it pays enough to pay your bills.

And why do minorities get scholarships, even if they have GPAs in the 1s or 2s? Only people with 4s and high 3s deserve a scholarship, regardless of race. I'm white, with a 4.0 GPA, so I can't get a scholarship cuz I don't speak Spanish? ******** you.

Minorities shouldn't get s**t handed to them on a silver platter. America caters to them way too ******** much. Ok, back on topic:

If I was an employer of a big company, I'd prefer the 4.0 GPA student with the degree, over my own niece with no skills and 1.8 GPA.

Adored Admirer

D0kt0r Bulletz
Today, it's about who you know.

I see it that way, too.

Sparkly Lunatic

I think it is because employers are scared of those of us that are educated enough to know how to take their job.

Altruistic Giver

26,550 Points
  • Frozen Solid 200
  • Generous 100
  • Caroling Champ 100
THeSLuSH
I think it is because employers are scared of those of us that are educated enough to know how to take their job.

Definitely seen this.

There's a couple PhDs I know who have been told not to sign with the "Dr." because they out qualify their bosses. xd

Sparkly Lunatic

Environmental Unity
THeSLuSH

Definitely seen this.

There's a couple PhDs I know who have been told not to sign with the "Dr." because they out qualify their bosses. xd

3nodding When I am applying to 'lesser' jobs, I intentionally leave out some of my education.
4.0 GPA does not equal excellent employee. It indicates good memory skills. The relative may have a track record that you're unaware of, and may be one hell of a worker, and well networked to begin with.
I personally learned hard and early NOT to hire the 4.0 GPA's because most were arrogant douche's that thought their s**t didn't stink and, when given what they considered a 's**t job', which every new employee gets, they whined and cried about it, bitching incessantly.
Must happier with the person who did every job in an exemplary manner, and didn't walk around like they were all that and a bag of chips.
This isn't from a 'fellow employee' standpoint. This is from a business owner standpoint. I'll forget the 'brilliant' mind for the harmony of a work place without conflict.
Technical skills are twenty times more important than academic skills, yo.
InariKistune
Technical skills are twenty times more important than academic skills, yo.

This is quite true. You can teach pretty much anyone rudimentary management skills, but leadership cannot be taught.
Technicians are where the money currently resides.
Pseudo-Onkelos
D0kt0r Bulletz
Today, it's about who you know.

I see it that way, too.

It has, of course, always been that way.

It's how I got my job too.

4,450 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Member 100
Sadly, because of some strange belief in the US that everyone can get a college education, simply having a degree isn't a guarantee of a good job anymore

We need to have less high school and college graduates
My Dog Mr. Kitty
Sadly, because of some strange belief in the US that everyone can get a college education, simply having a degree isn't a guarantee of a good job anymore

Not really, lower expectations on the basis of unremarkable qualification would be better.

4,450 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Member 100
CH1YO
My Dog Mr. Kitty

Not really, lower expectations on the basis of unremarkable qualification would be better.

I don't think I quite understand what you're trying to say
My Dog Mr. Kitty
CH1YO
My Dog Mr. Kitty

Education good, expectation bad.

4,450 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Member 100
CH1YO
My Dog Mr. Kitty
CH1YO
My Dog Mr. Kitty

Education good, expectation bad.

So you think that people need to stop expecting people to have an education when they have a college degree?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff