Welcome to Gaia! ::

1,750 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Dressed Up 200
Why is it that in society, we have to teach women how to defend themselves from rape? Why can't women wear certain things in public without being in constant fear of rape?
I know this may seem drastic, but it's true.
I think everyone, man/woman/child, etc... Should have basic knowledge of self-defense and proper etiquette. However, I don't understand why so much pressure is put on women. Why isn't society trying harder to teach men how to control themselves over teaching women how to put up with it? Why is this even an issue anymore? I know 100% that this has been posted on here before. I want to know what people think about this.
Because, when I'm walking down the street, and a guy going the other way mumbles, "You're beautiful, babe," I look straight ahead and keep walking. I won't say anything, and by doing that I've give the stranger permission to go on to the next girl and do the same thing. And, frankly, I probably will never say something: even if the guy wasn't five inches taller than me, who knows what he might start doing?

There's also a bit of a culture thing. I live in New York City (Bronx, to be exact), so there's a lot of diversity. Hispanic males think it's a compliment to watch a woman walk down the street. I'm not being racist at all; it happens, not all the time, but enough to make the statement. But it's their culture (I've had it explained before), not a white catholic school girl's culture.

I suppose what I'm trying to say it begins with objectivity, which begins with silence and the overbearing presence of culture.

That, and rape is actually performed by people the women are close to/know. Rarely is it by a stranger.

I AM R U's Spouse

Blessed Rogue

10,775 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Mega Tipsy 100
Nyan_Derek
Why is it that in society, we have to teach women how to defend themselves from rape? Why can't women wear certain things in public without being in constant fear of rape?

Because there are sick people, out there. Like it or not.

Quote:
I think everyone, man/woman/child, etc... Should have basic knowledge of self-defense and proper etiquette.

All I need to know about self defense:

1: unholster and take aim at the center of mass (torso)

2. Unlock the safety.

3. Issue the verbal warning, and prepare to pull trigger, if warning is dismissed.

You can take it from there.

Quote:
However, I don't understand why so much pressure is put on women.

Because they're the most vulnerable.

Quote:
Why isn't society trying harder to teach men how to control themselves over teaching women how to put up with it?

Because it isn't a problem of "control".

And some people simply can't be taught to be a decent human ******** being.

So why should anyone have to suffer, because someone else can't be taught?

Quote:
Why is this even an issue anymore? I know 100% that this has been posted on here before. I want to know what people think about this.

I think you have all the wrong impressions on what exactly breeds rape.
black_wing_angel
Nyan_Derek

Because there are sick people, out there. Like it or not.

Quote:
I think everyone, man/woman/child, etc... Should have basic knowledge of self-defense and proper etiquette.

2. Unlock the safety.

3. Issue the verbal warning, and prepare to pull trigger, if warning is dismissed.

Quote:
However, I don't understand why so much pressure is put on women.

Because they're the most vulnerable.

Quote:
Why isn't society trying harder to teach men how to control themselves over teaching women how to put up with it?

Quote:
Why is this even an issue anymore? I know 100% that this has been posted on here before. I want to know what people think about this.

I think you have all the wrong impressions on what exactly breeds rape.
bold part yep that's pretty much way i see it 3nodding

Eternal Sex Symbol

44,250 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Battle Hardened 150
black_wing_angel

True, but there is the whole "rape culture" thing that certainly doesn't help.

Fashionable Conversationalist

11,900 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Megathread 100
So it's men vs women? OP clearly never heard of Carla Homolka or Elizabeth Báthory.

I'll answer a question with a question. Why must we teach our children to not take rides in cars with strangers? Why must we teach them to never open a door to someone they don't know? Why not just work with the adult population. I mean, hey, if you talk to ***** enough, they'll understand that raping kids is wrong and won't do it, right?

gaia_angelleft gaia_star gaia_angelright

Fashionable Lunatic

1,750 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250
black_wing_angel

2. Unlock the safety.

Sorry, but I'm trained to never draw or ready my weapon unless I mean to use. And frankly, if I draw a gun, I have full intention of using it.

AcidStrips's Husband

Dangerous Conversationalist

8,175 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Contributor 0
I'm sorry, but i'm not sure what correlation you're making between rape and gender. Could you perhaps be more clear on why you perceive that it is the male demographic that not only rapes more but is less likely of being raped?

Once you do, you'll probably have answered your own question.
Nyan_Derek
Because those men who care don't need to be told and those who don't care ... well, they don't care what you tell them.

Hilarious Genius

Congratulations, you have male privilege!

Eternal Sex Symbol

44,250 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Battle Hardened 150
The20
Nyan_Derek
Because those men who care don't need to be told and those who don't care ... well, they don't care what you tell them.

But maybe if we start teaching them from a young age, it wouldn't be as much of an issue.

Beloved Lunatic

marshmallowcreampie
The20
Nyan_Derek

But maybe if we start teaching them from a young age, it wouldn't be as much of an issue.

Did you know some people will do whatever you tell them they can't or shouldn't just because you tried to control them? Crazy, huh. You really can't teach the populace well enough to eliminate rape. Noble goal and all that, but some people just don't work right.

Hilarious Genius

World hunger is lame, why aren't we fixing it by teaching people how to farm from a young age rolleyes

Eternal Sex Symbol

44,250 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Battle Hardened 150
Bob and Others

Did you know some people will do whatever you tell them they can't or shouldn't just because you tried to control them? Crazy, huh. You really can't teach the populace well enough to eliminate rape. Noble goal and all that, but some people just don't work right.

We can't eliminate it, but perhaps we can reduce it, as well as make it easier for people to come forward. Make the definition of rape very clear, a lot of people aren't aware that pressuring someone into sex or having sex with them while they're drunk is rape. Instead of placing responsibility on the victim, place it on the rapist. There are all these "rape prevention" tips but they mostly have to do with avoiding strangers, but it spreads misinformation by implying that most rape is done by strangers in the alley, when the large majority are by people the victim knows. I think victims would be more likely to come forward about their incident if more was done to make them feel comfortable. When all the responsibility is placed on the victim like it is now, they're more likely to have the idea that it's at least partially their fault so they're less likely to come forward. Eliminate the victim blaming, it might not reduce rape but it would make it easier for victims to report it.

Kawaii Sentai

stealthmongoose
I'm sorry, but i'm not sure what correlation you're making between rape and gender. Could you perhaps be more clear on why you perceive that it is the male demographic that not only rapes more but is less likely of being raped?

Once you do, you'll probably have answered your own question.

User Image
User ImageUser Image

I am liking you the more I see your posts.

User ImageUser Image

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces