Welcome to Gaia! ::

Camillo
Riviera de la Mancha
Olya
Riviera de la Mancha
Olya
So it's men vs women? OP clearly never heard of Carla Homolka or Elizabeth Báthory.

I'll answer a question with a question. Why must we teach our children to not take rides in cars with strangers? Why must we teach them to never open a door to someone they don't know? Why not just work with the adult population. I mean, hey, if you talk to ***** enough, they'll understand that raping kids is wrong and won't do it, right?

gaia_angelleft gaia_star gaia_angelright

Answering a question with a question is a pointless rhetorical tactic.

Yay me?

Indeed.

Turns out there was content in that there post, but I guess you can call an apple a tomato if you want! Have fun not listening to debate opponents while decrying their "tactics"!

There is no content when someone responds with a question- well, at least nothing that actually answers the question asked.

How someone conducts themselves in a debate is very important. If they answer questions with questions, then it comes off poorly. Very poorly. If her content was strong, then she would just come out with it and not do so obliquely.

Hilarious Genius

Riviera de la Mancha
Camillo
Riviera de la Mancha
Olya
Riviera de la Mancha
Olya
So it's men vs women? OP clearly never heard of Carla Homolka or Elizabeth Báthory.

I'll answer a question with a question. Why must we teach our children to not take rides in cars with strangers? Why must we teach them to never open a door to someone they don't know? Why not just work with the adult population. I mean, hey, if you talk to ***** enough, they'll understand that raping kids is wrong and won't do it, right?

Answering a question with a question is a pointless rhetorical tactic.

Yay me?

Indeed.

Turns out there was content in that there post, but I guess you can call an apple a tomato if you want! Have fun not listening to debate opponents while decrying their "tactics"!

There is no content when someone responds with a question- well, at least nothing that actually answers the question asked.

How someone conducts themselves in a debate is very important. If they answer questions with questions, then it comes off poorly. Very poorly. If her content was strong, then she would just come out with it and not do so obliquely.

Don't read much fiction, do you?

Edit, since that's "oblique": Answering with a question in general implies you're the one who needs to stop and reflect. For example, I can counter an argument for intelligent design by saying "that begs the question, does that not imply infinitely recursive gods?" In fact, that's a debate term, begging the question. So.
Camillo
Riviera de la Mancha
Camillo
Riviera de la Mancha
Olya

Yay me?

Indeed.

Don't read much fiction, do you?

Edit, since that's "oblique": Answering with a question in general implies you're the one who needs to stop and reflect. For example, I can counter an argument for intelligent design by saying "that begs the question, does that not imply infinitely recursive gods?" In fact, that's a debate term, begging the question. So.

I read alot, actually. Relevance? I would ask, but its pretty clear you are new to this discussion thing...

To claim that something is 'begging the question' is to point out a logical fallacy. So, from the outset, your usage is widely recognized as incorrect. All the same, in discussions, to say that something 'begs the question' is never thrown out as a response because that is just answering a question with a question. That is to say, it doesnt answer anything. So, in your example, if all you did was say, "That begs the question..." without some kind of preface or framing, the response properly is, "How does that address what I said?". That is the problem with with just responding with questions; they give no direction because they are not direct responses.

Its a poor rhetoric technique, no matter how its sliced.
1. Because there are cockbags in the world.
2. Because there's more focus on chick rape than dude rape.
3. #YOLO

Hilarious Genius

Riviera de la Mancha
I read alot, actually.

Go on.

Also for sake of actual content, answering a question with a question is an effective means of communication, this isn't a formal debate forum, and you're being a pedant in order to obfuscate meaningful content because you don't like its wrapper. Also, you can't spell "a lot". Kindly ******** off.
I don't know any women who are in constant fear of being raped. s**t happens, get used to it. No reason to have a knee-jerk reaction to anything, that never solves the problem.

I AM R U's Spouse

Blessed Rogue

10,775 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Mega Tipsy 100
marshmallowcreampie
black_wing_angel

Because it isn't a problem of "control".

And some people simply can't be taught to be a decent human ******** being.

So why should anyone have to suffer, because someone else can't be taught?

True, but there is the whole "rape culture" thing that certainly doesn't help.

That just comes down to people not being capable of being decent human beings. Some people simply can't be taught.

Hilarious Genius

It is the responsibility of each individual to defend their person to the best of their ability. Rape education is one way of empowering those who would otherwise be powerless. As an instrument, it should be well-tuned, fact-checked, and unbiased, because any of these introduces flaws and disables the defender.

Dapper Informer

9,200 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200
Argus Plexus
I don't know any women who are in constant fear of being raped. s**t happens, get used to it. No reason to have a knee-jerk reaction to anything, that never solves the problem.

I'm not quite sure how to respond to this. neutral

"I was raped."
"s**t happens, get used to it."

neutral

Hilarious Genius

Ontological Empiricism
Argus Plexus

"I was raped."

neutral

That's about right.

Dapper Informer

9,200 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200
Camillo
Ontological Empiricism
Argus Plexus

"I was raped."

neutral

That's about right.

Well I mean, of course s**t happens. That's the way the world works. House burns down? s**t happens. Drunk driver killed your relative(s)/friend(s)? s**t happens.

According to Argus Plexus, having a knee-jerking reaction doesn't solve the problem, but neither does shrugging it off like it was nothing. "Someone just forced their p***s inside my v****a/a**? OH WELL. s**t HAPPENS." [insert "Better Drink My Own Piss" joke here]

We have this rape culture where men are all thought to be rapists, and women had it coming based on their dress/behavior.

That is something that needs to change, but it's doubtful it would.
Kobe Bryant is a rapist.
Ontological Empiricism
Avgvsto
Even though it's illegal and likely immoral to steal a car even if you leave your key in the ignition, it is still very stupid to leave your car like that. It's not so much that I think you should consider yourself morally responsible or anything, just, what do you expect?

Ah, victim-blaming. It warms my heart.

People need to be aware that criminals are not all the same.

Some criminals are out looking for crime. In the context of theft, someone like this might have tools to quickly and effectively break into your car and steal it. In the context of rape, someone like this might be planning to overpower you at knifepoint as you take out the trash behind your restaurant.

Then there are opportunists. In the context of theft, someone like this might see you've left your wallet on the dashboard with the windows rolled down. In the context of rape, someone like this might see that a potential victim is getting more tipsy than they may have intended.

And then there are people who don't have the same ideas as their victims do. In the context of theft, someone like this might be my friend coming over to my house and seeing I have something nifty, and thinking "Well we're friends and we share things so I'll just borrow this, Nonesuch has so many anyways." In the context of rape, someone like this might be my partner thinking "Woot, I'm gonna get some tonight, hey Nonesuch hasn't said no yet, awwyeah."

The person still makes the choice to take your s**t or take advantage of you. There's an obvious difference between a person planning to harm you, a person who sees an opportunity and figures they might as well take it, and a person who completely misapprehends your purpose.

And there's a difference between telling people "IT'S YOUR FAULT" and "Hey, here are some ways you can decrease your risk."
Nyan_Derek
Why is it that in society, we have to teach women how to defend themselves from rape? Why can't women wear certain things in public without being in constant fear of rape?
I know this may seem drastic, but it's true.
I think everyone, man/woman/child, etc... Should have basic knowledge of self-defense and proper etiquette. However, I don't understand why so much pressure is put on women. Why isn't society trying harder to teach men how to control themselves over teaching women how to put up with it? Why is this even an issue anymore? I know 100% that this has been posted on here before. I want to know what people think about this.

I think it is an issue of practicality. I mean I it is cheaper to take my own defense into my own hands. The police can't be everywhere, and we don't want them everywhere. Like, I lock my car door to prevent my car from being stolen. Its just not practical to hope there isn't a criminal lurking about.
one of my friends explained it best to me
rape is wrong no matter what the circumstances, a woman should be able to dress however she wants, etc etc etc. we can all agree on that
but walking down a dark alleyway with a skirt that stops a half inch below your butt is like walking into a warzone without a bulletproof vest

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff