Total Votes:[ 0 ]
This poll closed on January 3, 2005.
No longer accepting new votes.
< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Quote:
Quote:
Kalist Flick
Unless it's brain dead, it's suffered.

By what logic did you reach that conclusion?

Because it's been killed at the very least. Most likely before that it's been kept in bad conditions. Even without any bad conditions, if it had a perfect life, killing just isn't right. You wouldn't like someone to kill you or someone you know, so how can you kill or expect animals to be killed for you? It's hypocritical.
YOUR KILLING PLANTS EVERYTIME YOU EAT ONE AS WELL!!!
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Kalist Flick

Because it's been killed at the very least. Most likely before that it's been kept in bad conditions. Even without any bad conditions, if it had a perfect life, killing just isn't right. You wouldn't like someone to kill you or someone you know, so how can you kill or expect animals to be killed for you? It's hypocritical.

Plants don't have feelings.
The fact that we've created a non-sentient being with the inability to support itself for our own pleasure seems fine to me. At that point, the "chicken" becomes just the same as some lettuce. We created it. We are not killing other animals so at that point, I think its ok.

As for having feelings, this chicken has a cortex only. The one part of the brain to keep it alive. It has no emotion, no memory, no motor control, no will, etc. It has no feelings. It was created this way. As such it is the same as a plant.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Kalist Flick

How do you know? Besdies, animals eat other animals, and often it is not very humane. Humans are animals after all.
well sort of but then they probably wouldn't eat eather so they wouldn't have meat to eat and if they did it would be gross.
Kallista Flick

Do fish? Do eggs? Do bees? Does honey?Do animals?
Kalista Flick
Invictus
Again, you place animals and humans in the same category. In my view (indeed the view of most people) that is a mistake. An animal is not someone but something. Some people just don't understand that.

That is your opinion. I have a different one.

So my dear girl, unless I am mistaken. You believe that fish, chickens, cows, pigs and bees are all "someone" as opposed to "something".

Kalista Flick
Invictus
Another flaw to your argument is that here is a big difference between wether an animal wants to be killed and wether the killing is humane.

So humane killing is ok?

You don't put humans and animals in the same catagory, fine. Do you have any pets (or if not, do any of your friends have pets)? How would you feel about someone killing one of them 'humanly' for no good reason?

Humane killing, of animals, for a good purpose, is fine.

I have not pets, I have had lots of pets. I lost about six to the fox and I lost two to cancer. If there were a good reason for their being humanely killed than yes, I would allow it.

You are trying to tell me that humanely killing animals for food is not a good enough reason? Food strikes me as a good reason.

Kalista Flick
Invictus
Finally, stop comparing the death of an animal to that of a person, let-alone a friend. How on earth can you place humans and animals on the same level of value?

I will not stop comparing them, because I believe it is the same issue. I'm not forcing you to think the same way, but I'm not going to change my opinions for you either.

You believe that killing a fish for food carries the same importance as killing a person? stare

Kalista Flick
Invictus
Humans are capable of conscious thought, moral reasoning and awareness of metaphysical concept. Animals are not. They are as different from us as plants are to them. Ergo, cannot be put on the lave level of existence.

This shouldn't make any difference. How about mentally ill people, who cannot think about these kind of things? Should we kill them as well?
Also, animals ARE capable of conscious thought. Morals and such probably not, but they do think. How do you think you train a dog? It learns that if it does certain things it gets rewards, and other things it doesn't. Then it THINKS and REMEMBERS next time, and behaves in the way you've taught it to behave.

Does it really matter what 'level of existence' they're on? They still feel pain, and that should be enough.

How many people want to eat a disabled person? For one thing, cannibalism is deeply unhealthy.
you can train a dog, you can train a tamagochi, you can train a plant, you can train a toy robodog. I suspect that the ability to be made to do something by a person is not proof of value.
Thinking is different from reasoning. Plants respond to stimuli, animals think, some animals learn, none are capable of metaphysical though or the emotions of a human.

You argument, about all existing on the same level of importance, falls.

Courtesy of Invictus.
it`s so.. ew. having a living breathing thing just for that matter? it`s...User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
I have absolutely no clue, actually :S
do they stop being human beings?
they stop feeling and thinking, is that right?....that sounds so strange!! lol
i suppose so....they'd be basically like plants, then? sort of....
maybe thats more humane....since it's basically growing meat? not actual living feeling thinking beings....
Quote:
Kallista Flick

Do fish? Do eggs? Do bees? Does honey?Do animals?
yes, if you have ever seen a dog, i believe so that animals do have feelings. but honey? that`s out of the topic. plants live, but I don`t think they have a main brain, mostly just made up of cells.

and I do believe in your point that if we killed animals for a goodd enough reason, like to stay alive, then it`s ok. but to clone an animal with no brain, feed it, then kill it? I mean, even thought they can`t have the same free will we have, they still have feelings, and they have the right to live like how their kind lives, liek babies have the right to live instead of havign abortions. even if we are of higher level than animals, it doesn`t mean we could treat them like s**t.

450 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200
i think cloning is wrong no matter what. it is not ethical!
Quote:
I have absolutely no clue, actually :S
do they stop being human beings?
they stop feeling and thinking, is that right?....that sounds so strange!! lol
i suppose so....they'd be basically like plants, then? sort of....
maybe thats more humane....since it's basically growing meat? not actual living feeling thinking beings....
I don`t think they`ve even started, to stop sweatdrop what she`s sayign is that they clone animals with no brain, and inplant some mechanical thinger in them and that could control them, like telling a trained dog to roll over, but without training it.. sweatdrop
Quote:
i think cloning is wrong no matter what. it is not ethical!
Har.Har. I agree. and it`s totally against the scientific nature thingy..
People are going way too far to try and be humane, as long as you're not doing any unnessesary killing I think its fine to kill animals for food, but playing around with cloning and stuff just isnt right even if they are trying to "help" the animals.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Kalist Flick

The point of making animals for eating is so that they wouldn't have feelings, either. That way you can whine about how they are killed accidentially when you're harvesting the plants for your veggie burgers.

Also, the bad conditions thing was taken care of in like, the 40's. Pure Food and Drug Act (in America) took care of that, although there are still some questionable things happening, I'll admit.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff