Welcome to Gaia! ::

Lonely Hunter

5,750 Points
  • Bidding War 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
With all the upheaval around the United States, I believe now is a dangerous time to become a police officer.

The point I am making is not about the "bad cops" or the ones who overuse power. I am not denying that those types of police officers exist and this has nothing to do with the media attention that certain cops have been getting.

I know that the police officers have always had some form of corruption but is it as prevalent in society today or is it because of a few incidents that have the media coverage.

How does it affect the police as a whole? Including the non-violent, aggressive, ect. ones?

Were there, at any point, distrust of the officers of the law, in any other time?

What can we do to help remove or remedy this view that all cops should not be trusted?

What are the pros and cons to these solutions?
When a good cop covers for a bad cop, he probably doesn't realize he's making s**t a lot worse for ALL the cops.

And if America has any balls, it would be. If you're thinking of joining up, don't.

Lonely Hunter

5,750 Points
  • Bidding War 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PureCocainePureCocaine
When a good cop covers for a bad cop, he probably doesn't realize he's making s**t a lot worse for ALL the cops.

And if America has any balls, it would be. If you're thinking of joining up, don't.

While I haven't seen any "good cops" cover for "bad cops", I could see how that would be a problem. Again, I simply want to discuss what the solutions to these issues could be.

No I don't plan on joining the police force but someone very close to me is and it concerns me deeply.
Vexting
PureCocainePureCocaine

While I haven't seen any "good cops" cover for "bad cops", I could see how that would be a problem. Again, I simply want to discuss what the solutions to these issues could be.

No I don't plan on joining the police force but someone very close to me is and it concerns me deeply.

Never heard of the code of silence? "You don't cross the thin blue line"?
Vexting
PureCocainePureCocaine

Are you in a position to see it?

Warn them. Make them heed you well.

Lonely Hunter

5,750 Points
  • Bidding War 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
God-The-RapistV2.0

No. I have not. Enlighten me.

Lonely Hunter

5,750 Points
  • Bidding War 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PureCocainePureCocaine

Considering that I've never been in trouble with the law or have known anyone to be involved with the law, no, I suppose not.

It's their choice and I'm supportive of them. However, that does not change my opinion on whether or not it is a dangerous job.
Vexting
PureCocainePureCocaine

Considering that I've never been in trouble with the law or have known anyone to be involved with the law, no, I suppose not.

It's their choice and I'm supportive of them. However, that does not change my opinion on whether or not it is a dangerous job.

I will not tell you again. Warn them. Make sure they know.
Vexting
God-The-RapistV2.0

So the way that it works is this:

Police are in charge of themselves. They don't have to answer to any authority except other police. That is why Internal Affairs exist. They are the "Cops Cops" and it is supposed to be their job to weed out any 'bad cops.'

The biggest problem though is this: If you are in IA you are hated by other cops because they think that IA is only there to get Cops fired. If you talk to IA you are considered a 'rat' and you will be persecuted for your compliance. That means you could get the worst duties, it means that the other Police will threaten you, harass you, physically assault you. Basically they will do everything and anything they want to get you to leave the force, or if you really hurt them they will kill you/force you to commit suicide.

During your time in the Academy it is drilled into you that there is an unspoken law of the Police and that is called the 'Code of Silence.' It teaches all cops that they are NEVER allowed to stop or speak up about another officers wrongdoings. They do this because they think that even if they might so something outside of the law they are doing it to stop criminals, and criminals aren't real people anyway.

This is not a secret and it is not hard to figure out that the system is extremely flawed. Firstly any system that governs itself is going to be full of corruption. Secondly there is no oversight for their laws and rules. They can make up any system that they want and enforce it however they please. This is why most of the time even is someone complains there is nothing to be done. You need a Cop to stop a Cop and that just won't happen.

It also doesn't help that police forces are unions and pretty much have immunity from wrongdoing through 'Color of Law.' ie. Cops can break traffic laws, Cops can break into private homes, cops can assault citizens, as long as they are acting in an 'official' capacity.

Fanatical Zealot

God-The-RapistV2.0
Vexting
God-The-RapistV2.0

So the way that it works is this:

Police are in charge of themselves. They don't have to answer to any authority except other police. That is why Internal Affairs exist. They are the "Cops Cops" and it is supposed to be their job to weed out any 'bad cops.'

The biggest problem though is this: If you are in IA you are hated by other cops because they think that IA is only there to get Cops fired. If you talk to IA you are considered a 'rat' and you will be persecuted for your compliance. That means you could get the worst duties, it means that the other Police will threaten you, harass you, physically assault you. Basically they will do everything and anything they want to get you to leave the force, or if you really hurt them they will kill you/force you to commit suicide.

During your time in the Academy it is drilled into you that there is an unspoken law of the Police and that is called the 'Code of Silence.' It teaches all cops that they are NEVER allowed to stop or speak up about another officers wrongdoings. They do this because they think that even if they might so something outside of the law they are doing it to stop criminals, and criminals aren't real people anyway.

This is not a secret and it is not hard to figure out that the system is extremely flawed. Firstly any system that governs itself is going to be full of corruption. Secondly there is no oversight for their laws and rules. They can make up any system that they want and enforce it however they please. This is why most of the time even is someone complains there is nothing to be done. You need a Cop to stop a Cop and that just won't happen.

It also doesn't help that police forces are unions and pretty much have immunity from wrongdoing through 'Color of Law.' ie. Cops can break traffic laws, Cops can break into private homes, cops can assault citizens, as long as they are acting in an 'official' capacity.

But do you have any proof?

Politicians make laws, not cops, and cops are still held responsible for all kinds of things. They can't just kill people for no reason and what have you.

Conservative Regular

Vexting
PureCocainePureCocaine

But it's a dangerous job anyway

And nothing major has happened to make it more dangerous
Suicidesoldier#1

Politicians make laws, not cops, and cops are still held responsible for all kinds of things. They can't just kill people for no reason and what have you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Code_of_Silence

As I said, this is not a secret.

You are right, they can't kill for 'no reason' but the people who determine which 'reasons' are acceptable or not are Cops.
God-The-RapistV2.0

Suicidesoldier#1
But do you have any proof? Politicians make laws, not cops, and cops are still held responsible for all kinds of things. They can't just kill people for no reason and what have you.

In 129 years since police and fire commissions were created in my home state of Wisconsin, there has not been a single ruling by a police department or review board that a cop in the state of Wisconsin acted incorrectly or unjustly in a situation where the cop killed a civilian.

So either humans are perfect, or we're dealing with corruption at its finest.

Fanatical Zealot

Brothern
God-The-RapistV2.0

Suicidesoldier#1
But do you have any proof? Politicians make laws, not cops, and cops are still held responsible for all kinds of things. They can't just kill people for no reason and what have you.

In 129 years since police and fire commissions were created in my home state of Wisconsin, there has not been a single ruling by a police department or review board that a cop in the state of Wisconsin acted incorrectly or unjustly in a situation where the cop killed a civilian.

So either humans are perfect, or we're dealing with corruption at its finest.

Or, since police fatalities are more rare than lighting strikes hitting people, it almost never happens. (400 police fatalities annually, roughly 500 lightning strikes on people).

How many police fatalities have their been in Wisconsin in the last 129 years, total?

Fanatical Zealot

God-The-RapistV2.0
Suicidesoldier#1

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Code_of_Silence

As I said, this is not a secret.

You are right, they can't kill for 'no reason' but the people who determine which 'reasons' are acceptable or not are Cops.

No, law makers do, who are dependent on the people to be elected. Cops don't make the laws, politicians don't enforce them.

Furthermore, that isn't evidence. In fact, no evidence is provided that this is a general trend. "The Blue Code of Silence (also known as the Blue Shield[1] or Blue Wall[2]) is the idea of an unwritten rule that exists among police officers not to report on a colleague's errors, misconducts, or crimes."

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff