Welcome to Gaia! ::

Eloquent Rogue

9,000 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Wall Street 200
  • Elocutionist 200
Ok, so this had been rolling around in my head for a while, and I was debating whether to make this a topic or not, since I'm sure to get some ignorant "shut up *****!" posts in here. rolleyes But I decided, "hey, why not?"

As a black female, I enjoy watching the Boondocks. I realize that the show is one of satire, but one can't help but notice some similarities to the black community:

-Thoughts on spanking
-Snitching
-Use of the word "niggah" vs "******"
-Black Nationalist Movement
-The "Gangsta" Lifestyle
-"***** Moments"

So what do you think ED? Some questions for you:

Does the Boondocks accurately (or somewhat accurately) represent black culture or black community as a whole?
What are your thoughts/feelings on the use of the word *****? Should it ever be used? Is there a difference between "*****" and "******"
Do you like/hate/love the Boondocks, and why? (The why is more important people.)

Aged Lunatic

I loved the comic strip AND the toon.

Why? Because it's about the only attempt to be honest and funny as well about black culture as I've seen it. Aaron McGruder has always made it clear that his goal was to admire his race's culture, but at the same time not hesitate to point out where it get's too full of it'self or just get's downright stupid.
GunsmithKitten

Why? Because it's about the only attempt to be honest and funny as well about black culture as I've seen it. Aaron McGruder has always made it clear that his goal was to admire his race's culture, but at the same time not hesitate to point out where it get's too full of it'self or just get's downright stupid.

Yeah, I think this describes my feelings on the Boondocks well also. I feel that at times it does get a bit too flamboyant, but one does have to watch it while understanding that it's a satire. the MLK eps was funny as hell btw.
|[ I think it shows both the good and bad of the black culture. ]|

Aged Lunatic

Master SBK
GunsmithKitten

Yeah, I think this describes my feelings on the Boondocks well also. I feel that at times it does get a bit too flamboyant, but one does have to watch it while understanding that it's a satire. the MLK eps was funny as hell btw.

oh GOD YES "The Return of the King" was hysterical; Martin Luther King getting turned away from a celebration in his honor because he was wearing the wrong shoes......

Desirable Sex Symbol

7,400 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Flatterer 200
Kazydi
|[ I think it shows both the good and bad of the black various subsets of American culture. ]|

Desirable Sex Symbol

7,400 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Flatterer 200
GunsmithKitten
Master SBK
GunsmithKitten

oh GOD YES "The Return of the King" was hysterical; Martin Luther King getting turned away from a celebration in his honor because he was wearing the wrong shoes......

Seriously. I've never seen a mark hit so squarely.
Appel Juice
Kazydi
|[ I think it shows both the good and bad of the black various subsets of American culture. ]|
|[ Dude, don't. ]|

Eloquent Rogue

9,000 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Wall Street 200
  • Elocutionist 200
Appel Juice
GunsmithKitten
Master SBK
GunsmithKitten

Seriously. I've never seen a mark hit so squarely.

I don't remember that part. gonk

Personally, I enjoy all the scenes with Riley, but I especially like "Guess Hoe's Coming to Dinner."
I think it represents a VERY SMALL portion of black culture.

Eloquent Rogue

9,000 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Wall Street 200
  • Elocutionist 200
Syndactyly
I think it represents a VERY SMALL portion of black culture.

Which portion would that be?

@Last: I lol'ed.

@Everyone else: What are your thoughts on this vid?x

or this one: x
Does it represent black culture.

I really wish it did. It hits its mark most of the time.
But that part of me wishes the fantasy elements were real too.

Eloquent Rogue

9,000 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Wall Street 200
  • Elocutionist 200
Akira Fudoh
Does it represent black culture.
I really wish it did. It hits its mark most of the time.
But that part of me wishes the fantasy elements were real too.

Which fantasy elements? The only ones that come to mind right now are the MLK episode and the many fights that go on in the show.

Desirable Sex Symbol

7,400 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Flatterer 200
Kazydi
Appel Juice
Kazydi
|[ Dude, don't. ]|

Don't what? It's very good at representing how other cultures view the Black community from the outside.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff