Welcome to Gaia! ::

Fanatical Zealot

The-Real-Youth
Suicidesoldier#1
Look, you should say Tonka Truck.

That would be more masculine.

It would seem weird if a woman grew up wanting to be a construction worker.

This is something someone might be concerned with.

Both genders play with actions figures and dolls, so it's a poor example.

Tonka Trucks and barbie dolls are good comparisons.

Sports not so much, but still.

A woman wanting to grow up to be in a profession surrounded by other men in a purely physical endeavor, that might seem weird.
Based on your comment, I could say a man wanting to be a hair stylist or baker would be "weird" because it's mostly female-dominated. You see more male construction workers and more female hair-stylists because society tells us these are the careers you should have based on your gender. It's weird to you because your told it's weird.

But tell me, why is it specifically weird to you for a woman to be a construction worker? You don't need masculine attributes for the job, just the right physical strength and capability.

Idk, a woman being around other gruff men is weird.

But my point was more or less the gender toys would be more appropriate with tonka trucks and barbie dolls, as G.I. joes are a less accurate portrayel of a "manly" thing.

There are female G.I.'s.

But I guess they might be called "janes" but the box doesn't say that.
theothermanoverthere
Schwerpunkt
theothermanoverthere
Schwerpunkt
theothermanoverthere
change is good but a company as the hardiest time changing s**t. they have to pander to the majority not the minority to make it. I this first hand I'm run my own business. they best thing for it is to not get butt hurt when they dont call you out on tv.

Changes have to be step by step; don't overhaul the whole product line at once. That's just overkill that will send a company to the death. But, that doesn't mean people should quit whining about the way things are; change happens because of that. If people didn't make a racket at all, nothing would happen.

Just because change is hard for companies doesn't mean it doesn't happen. It does, no matter how slow the process is.
Look I run a business you can only try to put something like this out there if it don't take fast you die. So I cater to my market. That's what I have to do to stay alive.

And markets change.
Really now you don't say. You still miss the point the company is not and can not be sexiest. That would be the market. So don't call something it's not. If they change then I will change but as a company I can't do s**t about it. If you don't like it change it but I can't. But I reall don't see whats so bad about selling a toy more for a boy if 90% of the kids that play with are boys. Now should a boy get picked for playing with a toy played with by 90% girls? No same for girls.

Companies don't create the marketing; not the "name-known-in-every-home" ones anyway - They get other people to produce the advertisements. Graphic artists, film makers, animators, etc. Then whoever at the company is in charge of approving the result takes a look and okays it. I blame that guy, and the people who actually create the ads (and sometimes the people who design the products). Not the company.

I don't know of any companies who are one-person shows. But, then again, I'm in the arts division of advertising. People create companies. I'm not going to blame the accountant, the secretary, the people who build the products, etc. for the marketing.

A perfume company? Not sexist. The ads are created for the company to sell their perfumes? Potentially sexist, pending ad content.
Schwerpunkt
theothermanoverthere
Schwerpunkt
theothermanoverthere
Schwerpunkt
theothermanoverthere
change is good but a company as the hardiest time changing s**t. they have to pander to the majority not the minority to make it. I this first hand I'm run my own business. they best thing for it is to not get butt hurt when they dont call you out on tv.

Changes have to be step by step; don't overhaul the whole product line at once. That's just overkill that will send a company to the death. But, that doesn't mean people should quit whining about the way things are; change happens because of that. If people didn't make a racket at all, nothing would happen.

Just because change is hard for companies doesn't mean it doesn't happen. It does, no matter how slow the process is.
Look I run a business you can only try to put something like this out there if it don't take fast you die. So I cater to my market. That's what I have to do to stay alive.

And markets change.
Really now you don't say. You still miss the point the company is not and can not be sexiest. That would be the market. So don't call something it's not. If they change then I will change but as a company I can't do s**t about it. If you don't like it change it but I can't. But I reall don't see whats so bad about selling a toy more for a boy if 90% of the kids that play with are boys. Now should a boy get picked for playing with a toy played with by 90% girls? No same for girls.

Companies don't create the marketing; not the "name-known-in-every-home" ones anyway - They get other people to produce the advertisements. Graphic artists, film makers, animators, etc. Then whoever at the company is in charge of approving the result takes a look and okays it. I blame that guy, and the people who actually create the ads (and sometimes the people who design the products). Not the company.

I don't know of any companies who are one-person shows. But, then again, I'm in the arts division of advertising. People create companies. I'm not going to blame the accountant, the secretary, the people who build the products, etc. for the marketing.

A perfume company? Not sexist. The ads are created for the company to sell their perfumes? Potentially sexist, pending ad content.
none of it is it is targeting the 60 to90% not 40 or 10 that use it. It they did it for both they would miss both and would get nothing. Again I run a company a small scale one right not but I sell all over the US. I buy and sell and I have to think about who is the larger % of people that will buy what I am looking at. If I see ice fishing for sell but I'm in florade I have to think well I'll have to sell this up noth and think what my shipping would be for that and if it would be worth buy. Same goes for every company this want to spend as little and make as much as they can. So if it cost 5g to make one ad and you really don't want to make two this month because of cost what is going to be you aim? That's right the higher % of people that will by what you are selling.

Devoted Genius

6,850 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Citizen 200
Suicidesoldier#1
The-Real-Youth
Suicidesoldier#1

A woman wanting to grow up to be in a profession surrounded by other men in a purely physical endeavor, that might seem weird.
Based on your comment, I could say a man wanting to be a hair stylist or baker would be "weird" because it's mostly female-dominated. You see more male construction workers and more female hair-stylists because society tells us these are the careers you should have based on your gender. It's weird to you because your told it's weird.

But tell me, why is it specifically weird to you for a woman to be a construction worker? You don't need masculine attributes for the job, just the right physical strength and capability.

But my point was more or less the gender toys would be more appropriate with tonka trucks and barbie dolls, as G.I. joes are a less accurate portrayel of a "manly" thing.

There are female G.I.'s.

Thus, re-enforcing gender stereotypes. God forbid anything feminine being associated with macho-ness! The horror!
theothermanoverthere
Schwerpunkt
theothermanoverthere
Schwerpunkt
theothermanoverthere

And markets change.

none of it is it is targeting the 60 to90% not 40 or 10 that use it. It they did it for both they would miss both and would get nothing. Again I run a company a small scale one right not but I sell all over the US. I buy and sell and I have to think about who is the larger % of people that will buy what I am looking at. If I see ice fishing for sell but I'm in florade I have to think well I'll have to sell this up north and think what my shipping would be for that and if it would be worth buy. Same goes for every company this want to spend as little and make as much as they can. So if it cost 5g to make one ad and you really don't want to make two this month because of cost what is going to be you aim? That's right the higher % of people that will by what you are selling.

I've got mad respect for you on that. Gotta for anyone that runs a successful company.

But being in marketing, I don't have to agree with it. One of these days, I need to see what sort of effect a nerf gun ad targeting young girls would result in. lol

Fanatical Zealot

The-Real-Youth
Suicidesoldier#1
The-Real-Youth
Suicidesoldier#1

There are female G.I.'s.

Thus, re-enforcing gender stereotypes. God forbid anything feminine being associated with macho-ness! The horror!

I'm not saying I support the stereotype, just that this would be a better example.
Schwerpunkt
theothermanoverthere
Schwerpunkt
theothermanoverthere
Schwerpunkt
theothermanoverthere

And markets change.

none of it is it is targeting the 60 to90% not 40 or 10 that use it. It they did it for both they would miss both and would get nothing. Again I run a company a small scale one right not but I sell all over the US. I buy and sell and I have to think about who is the larger % of people that will buy what I am looking at. If I see ice fishing for sell but I'm in florade I have to think well I'll have to sell this up north and think what my shipping would be for that and if it would be worth buy. Same goes for every company this want to spend as little and make as much as they can. So if it cost 5g to make one ad and you really don't want to make two this month because of cost what is going to be you aim? That's right the higher % of people that will by what you are selling.

I've got mad respect for you on that. Gotta for anyone that runs a successful company.

But being in marketing, I don't have to agree with it. One of these days, I need to see what sort of effect a nerf gun ad targeting young girls would result in. lol
Just but girl and boys in one for that that's like water guns theyre really not seen as a ginder specific toy not for a long time now.
theothermanoverthere
Schwerpunkt
theothermanoverthere
Schwerpunkt
theothermanoverthere

Just but girl and boys in one for that that's like water guns theyre really not seen as a ginder specific toy not for a long time now.

Nerf guns are a very specific brand of toy guns. They don't just have water guns, but also foam darts and laser tag products. I used to see girls sometimes in the ads alongside the boys, but these days all I see are boys in their late teens. My nieces have to steal those from their brothers if they want a chance to play with them.
Schwerpunkt
theothermanoverthere
Schwerpunkt
theothermanoverthere
Schwerpunkt
theothermanoverthere

Nerf guns are a very specific brand of toy guns. They don't just have water guns, but also foam darts and laser tag products. I used to see girls sometimes in the ads alongside the boys, but these days all I see are boys in their late teens. My nieces have to steal those from their brothers if they want a chance to play with them.
Not from what I've seen and I live in the south.
theothermanoverthere
Schwerpunkt
theothermanoverthere
Schwerpunkt
theothermanoverthere

Huh. That's different. I'm from the north.

I'll just have to buy them the guns myself. razz

Devoted Genius

6,850 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Citizen 200
Suicidesoldier#1
The-Real-Youth
Suicidesoldier#1
The-Real-Youth
Suicidesoldier#1

There are female G.I.'s.

I'm not saying I support the stereotype, just that this would be a better example.
It's your comment on women being around men is "weird" that gets me.
This reminds me of how Hollywood portrays female characters. Like the Smurfette principle. If you have a female character, she's there either as a love interest or as a sidekick. Women aren't allowed to have any part of the action because they're women. This is related to you saying for women being associated with male-orientated jobs because it's a form of segregation. Why can't women be included without it being weird?

Questionable Hero

11,300 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Hotblooded Hero 50
  • Conventioneer 300
The Living Force
Has it really? emotion_0A0
Maybe people like it when there's a product aimed at them specifically rather than to a group? Men sure do care about their image of machismo here in America...
Schwerpunkt
theothermanoverthere
Schwerpunkt
theothermanoverthere
Schwerpunkt
theothermanoverthere

Huh. That's different. I'm from the north.

I'll just have to buy them the guns myself. razz
Do it no one can stop you.

Fanatical Zealot

The-Real-Youth
Suicidesoldier#1
The-Real-Youth
Suicidesoldier#1
The-Real-Youth
Suicidesoldier#1

There are female G.I.'s.

It's your comment on women being around men is "weird" that gets me.
This reminds me of how Hollywood portrays female characters. Like the Smurfette principle. If you have a female character, she's there either as a love interest or as a sidekick. Women aren't allowed to have any part of the action because they're women. This is related to you saying for women being associated with male-orientated jobs because it's a form of segregation. Why can't women be included without it being weird?

Woman can be a part of the action, they just have to be agilic and do backflips- usually they are very skinny and this body type reflects what a gymnast would be like.

It wouldn't make sense for them to suddenly be super strong.

For whatever reason you don't see a physically strong female, just super agility- UNLESS they are enhanced someway by magic- and woman rarely engage in physical combat, even if the lead super villain, it's always some form of trickery.

These are just tropes.

It's not something I believe in.

Just asserting what better examples would be.

Like a woman can be a doctor, or a scientists, or even a soldier and things.

But a construction worker- even female football players and things would be weird, maybe not shunned but looked upon strangely.

I mean, can you think of a female that was portrayed as physically strong- such as punching people in the face or overpowering them in a wrestling match- that didn't have magic?

Toph for instance used earthbending, but Toph was tiny. You will not find a large girl with large physical strength practically anywhere. Tomb raider, salt, anything, she just uses trickery and super agility all the time, sometimes with guns (guns only take the flick of a trigger and aren't really seen as "strength" wink . So, being a construction worker or physical player is just less common if not almost completely absent from hollywood stuff, including most games. Rainbow dash- super fast and agilic, even in twilight there are no physically strong woman, really, it's all mind powers, magic or super agility. Like even in the X-men with that Russian lady, she used a bunch of smaller, longer fingernails in agilic like attacks- why not just be like, large claws, with raw power smashing people around? It's just a stupid trope.

Devoted Genius

6,850 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Citizen 200
Suicidesoldier#1
I mean, can you think of a female that was portrayed as physically strong- such as punching people in the face or overpowering them in a wrestling match- that didn't have magic?
What about Hit Girl from the comic novel, Kick-a**? Able to handle weaponry, combat, agility, and strength. She din't use any sort of "magic" for that.

And I agree about the trope thing. It's out-dated and getting old.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff