Welcome to Gaia! ::

Well i have a intrest in marine biology and i always wondered if the super shark could still exist if anyonee has theories good or bad they are welcomed i would like to hear them i will post my theory later on
A Critical Evaluation of the Supposed Contemporary
Existence of Carcharodon megalodon by Ben S. Roesch
The suggestion by some researchers and cryptozoologists that C. megalodon has survived to the present-day lacks any acceptable supporting evidence. Furthermore, the idea conflicts with current paleontological and ecological knowledge. The case of C. megalodon survival can thus be safely classified as a popular myth without any basis in fact. Pending further, substantial and tenable evidence, the question of C. megalodon’s continued existence should provisionally be considered answered: the shark is dead. In the opinion of this researcher, the question of C. megalodon survival warrants no further serious attention.

[1]
okay thats a very good theory on the shark but the possibility of it alive can still be true. I mean there is still so much unexplored ocean out there how can we suggest thats its dead when we are still uncovering marine life thought to be extinct
The big khauna
okay thats a very good theory on the shark but the possibility of it alive can still be true. I mean there is still so much unexplored ocean out there how can we suggest thats its dead when we are still uncovering marine life thought to be extinct

The marine life being discovered in unexplored depths/areas of the ocean is nothing close to a 20-meter fish.
lol yes true but how much of the ocean have we actually explored it could be possible its still lied deep in the ocean i mean we are still trying to invent a sub that wont implode due to the pressure so we really only covered the surface of the ocean not the deep
Probably not.

Still, there's enough bug-eyed little monstrosities in the ocean to keep my a** in the shallows.
The big khauna
lol yes true but how much of the ocean have we actually explored it could be possible its still lied deep in the ocean i mean we are still trying to invent a sub that wont implode due to the pressure so we really only covered the surface of the ocean not the deep

The fact that our current craft cannot withstand the pressures of the deep ocean should tell you how difficult it is for life to do the same. Furthermore, life in the abyss is very much different from life in the upper oceans, almost alien to what we know. Even if the ancient shark could have at some point made its home there, it'd have to evolve significantly in order to adapt to its environment, rendering the whole argument moot as it would no longer be classifiable as the megalodon.
As neat as a 60 foot shark would be: No.
No, it isn't.

Aged Codger

9,675 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Destroyer of Cuteness 150
No, t' kraken wiped 'em out.

Toothsome Treasure

Not likely. Such a large shark would need a lot of food, and a breeding population would eventually leave some sort of clue. Bones or teeth washing up on shore, an anomaly when looking for giant squid in deep waters, something would raise alarm. So, since nothing new has shown up, it's highly unlikely.

Aged Codger

9,675 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Destroyer of Cuteness 150
Iggy The Balrog
Probably not.

Still, there's enough bug-eyed little monstrosities in the ocean to keep my a** in the shallows.
Ya mean creata's such as t' Lion's Mane Jellyfish?
Kaptain K Rool
Iggy The Balrog
Probably not.

Ya mean creata's such as t' Lion's Mane Jellyfish?

I was actually thinking more of an Anglerfish.

gummie_sourball's Husband

Witty Fairy

For a crazy random creature from a specific ecosystem, you have to have the ecosystem for it to function. That's like asking if there's still fish in a dried up lake. There's no support/foodchain for a meg. Not to mention the totally different climate.
Possible? Sure. Likely? No.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces