Welcome to Gaia! ::

Weird, strange, freaky. Those are all synonyms of the word different. Different can be described in many ways and shown through many examples. For instance, just about everything in your avatar is different from mine. (original, I know) Maybe the way you talk, act, and the things you wear are different from me. Religion is a big example of diffence, like Christianity is different from Judism.
But I'm not here to talk about how one thing is different from another.
Difference between things and people can get out of hand. If you're not a mindless sheep who's following the same person everyone else is, you're different and can get picked on for that. There are still religious fanatics out there who believe in the words of Hitler and eliminate people different than them.

My question is, is different really all that different?
You might say that yes it is, but if you look at it another way I hope you will see that it is not in a lot of cases. Take the example of Christianity vs. Judism. To a Christian, a Jewish person might be different, but to a group of Jewish people the Christian will obviously be different, and the original Jewish person won't be since there are a lot of other people like them.
What if you get picked on for being different, like liking and wearing different things from other people? If you find a group of people who are just like you when it comes down to those things, you will not be so different anymore. surprised
Of course, difference is not a good thing, like if you get a different answer than everyone else in the class (and yours is wrong) it's best to get the same result. (no more on that subject of different being a bad thing)
we all are different,nobody is the same
tribal_dragon

In some sense maybe, but not always.
im different to most people,mainly because of my habits
im bi,i practise magik,psy and vamparism,im a cutter as well

Friendly Elocutionist

8,150 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Flatterer 200
  • Popular Thread 100
It's all really an issue of perception. In the example you describe, of course the Jewish group of people think that the Christian person is different from them in his beliefs. That's merely one group of people seeing another group of people as individual in their beliefs.

People, and humans, by nature have a desire to be accepted by their peers. When they are not, they feel different, and at times that can be both negative and positive. Negative, because sometimes when people are too different, they are ridiculed. Positive, mainly because it's usually a good thing to march to the beat of your own drum.

Of course, if you just want to be an unassuming face in the crowd, then you can. Provided you follow the lines of perfection which seem set for us. Some people want that, though. Of course, that's expressing yourself to the limits that society lays down. Which is another thing altogether.
I think that we are all individuals, and are all different, however, in most cases, similarities can be found, if you only would care to look for them.
every single person on the earth is different: no one's normal.
Luminae
I think that we are all individuals, and are all different, however, in most cases, similarities can be found, if you only would care to look for them.
i found that with me and my boyfriend,it was scary
as far as DNA goes and use as people. we ARE all differnt. buuut theres somethings people do taht USE to make them differnt but they have all become fads now. like the following

1.) drinking alcohol under the legal drinking age.
2.) smoking weed
3.) self mutilation
4.)having sex as soon as you hit puberty without even considering marriage
5.) having a fake ID
6.) hating athority
7.) having a disorder
8.) hating god.
9.) being suicidal.
10.) being "bad"

all of them things USE to be considerd differnt. now they are all social tabboos and fads...everyone does ATLEAST one of them things. thinking they are "diffenrt" or "rebelious" the truth is they are just part of growing statistics. its quite sad really.

to me being differnt means dying yer hair bright neon orange, wearing shoes that are 8 inches high, wearing butterfly wings, getting yer forehead tattooed, wearing animal ears, going to a fur suit convention, getting red eye contact lenses, dressing up like pickachu on a daily basis! - you get the idea.
tribal_dragon

Hella correct....and depending on who you are, different can be very extreme. Take myself for instance; Short purple hair, I'm a mixture of dark dark colors, and then again bright colors at the same time,and I make a lotta things on my own, I haven't met a single person like myself; so I kinda conclude, sometimes different isn't as different as you think, but sometimes it is....DUN DUN DUN eek

Ok that was kinda dumb but i'm jsut gettin' my point across to ya'll.
Candy2021
as far as DNA goes and use as people. we ARE all differnt. buuut theres somethings people do taht USE to make them differnt but they have all become fads now. like the following

2.) smoking weed
3.) self mutilation
5.) having a fake ID
6.) hating athority
7.) having a disorder
8.) hating god.
9.) being suicidal.
10.) being "bad"

all of them things USE to be considerd differnt. now they are all social tabboos and fads...everyone does ATLEAST one of them things. thinking they are "diffenrt" or "rebelious" the truth is they are just part of growing statistics. its quite sad really.

to me being differnt means dying yer hair bright neon orange, wearing shoes that are 8 inches high, wearing butterfly wings, getting yer forehead tattooed, wearing animal ears, going to a fur suit convention, getting red eye contact lenses, dressing up like pickachu on a daily basis! - you get the idea.

I second her opinions.
tribal_dragon
im different to most people,mainly because of my habits
im bi,i practise magik,psy and vamparism,im a cutter as well

Attention whore. 'Oh, I cut, look at me! Oh, I kiss the same sex! blah blah.' There are tons of people who do that out there.

There is no such thing as true difference. It just depends what the situation is to what might be temporarily labeled as different.
Candy2021

2.) smoking weed
3.) self mutilation
5.) having a fake ID
6.) hating athority
7.) having a disorder
8.) hating god.
9.) being suicidal.
10.) being "bad"

Bravo and well said. Though I think you should add gothic and a few other things onto that list. Though I feel your having a disorders point is iffy, some people really do have disorders while others just fake it to as you say go with the fad.
dyeing your hair bright colors is a fad. millions of people do it. its not different.
Candy2021
2.) smoking weed
3.) self mutilation
5.) having a fake ID
6.) hating athority
7.) having a disorder
8.) hating god.
9.) being suicidal.
10.) being "bad"

To say "everyone does AT LEAST one of these things" you may want to generalize them a little more. I never did any of those. However, generalize it a little more and then I would believe that everyone fits at least one. Something like:

1.) Drinking alcohol or smoking under the legal age
2.) Doing drugs
3.) Self-mutilation
4.) Having under-age, "worry-free" sex.
5.) Having a fake ID
6.) hating athority
7.) having a disorder
8.) hating god/religion.
9.) being suicidal or depressed.
10.) Breaking rules set to them by authority

Most along the same vein, yes. Still, more generalized. Otherwise, I totally agree with you.

I don't think there's a thing left to be done that could be "different"... either that, or my imagination is too short (thus why I'm not "different" either).

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff