Welcome to Gaia! ::

prof-whoriarty
ahahah hello again ed I know how much you guys love me no jk most of you probably don't know who I am

an interesting topic has come to light recently in my life and that was the topic of veganism.
I, myself, am not a vegan. I do know people who are & that's all fine and well, but there's certain vegans who like to berate people who aren't vegans and I am aware that these vegans have caused the term "bloodmouth" to start floating around the internet
bloodmouth: An insult or slur commonly used by vegans for people who eat meat, indicating their distaste for eating creatures that bleed.

nowwwwwww I was wondering, wonderful ED, what your thoughts on the fact that this term actually exists?
do you find it disgusting that some vegans actually use this slur towards others?
and also, do you understand veganism? if you're a vegan, do you find it disgusting that others eat meat? why?
do you believe that eating meat is just a part of the circle of life?
for the vegans out there I am really curious as to how you feel towards the fact that the animals you're protecting by not eating are, a lot of the time, meat eaters themselves?

for those of you who do eat meat: what are your thoughts on vegans? have you ever considered dropping meat out of your diet?

I'm really just trying to become more educated on this subject; any information/conversation on it would be interesting! 4laugh

The term bloodmouth doesn't surprise me. People love coming up with "clever" slurs for each other.
I understand veganism. I think it's adorable and (somewhat) admirable when someone has that much empathy for a creature they can't even communicate with.
I do believe eating meat is part of the circle of life. Animals eat other animals all the time. It's nothing new.

I eat meat. I have considered dropping meat from my diet more than once. It's actually really healthy to exclude meat from your diet. The only nutrient you can only get exclusively from an animal to my knowledge is the DHA, EPA and ALA (Omega-3 fatty acids useful for brain development) found in fish. So, I think perhaps pescatarianism is for me. At the moment, I can't afford to be vegetarian because it is an extremely expensive diet--if you plan on doing it correctly and getting all the nutrients you need.
I go back and forth on how much I support vegetarianism. On the one hand, if I were cattle--I wouldn't want to be treated that way. On the other hand, animals viciously kill each other all the time. It isn't unique to humans to be cruel to a weaker species.

REGARDLESS, I don't think anyone should be bashing anyone for what they choose to eat. It's just not nice. My sister is vegetarian and I have had vegetarian girlfriends in the past and I have had vegetarian friends periodically in my life. I never made them feel guilty for their lifestyle choices. Most of them didn't make me feel guilty for mine.
Corrupting Clay
Most vegetarians could and would eat meat if there were a way to produce it without producing a being with a nervous system along with it.

I suspect many vegans, being driven by similar motivations, would do the same.

I suppose that slurs aren't about distinguishing the groups in a logical manner, though. You can't make "I'd eat that burger if it didn't involve enslaving and eventually killing a cow and I think you're a d**k for promoting cow enslavement/killing" into an insult that's both pithy and accurate.

That's why I prefer political correctness. Given the choice between pithy and accurate, I'd take accurate.

I'll stop "enslaving" and eating lesser beings when they speak and tell me to stop.
Tadpole Jackson
I'll stop "enslaving" and eating lesser beings when they speak and tell me to stop.

Of course. Here, have some dolphin sandwich.
Corrupting Clay
Tadpole Jackson

Of course. Here, have some dolphin sandwich.

sounds delicious.
I'm a vegetarian, and really the only reason I'm not a vegan is because I work at a non-vegan bakery.

That term is awesome, I've been wondering if there were any good words like that.

Animals that eat meat are either not capable of eating a plant-based diet and do not possess the cognitive capacity to understand why eating meat would be bad.
Besides, they eat meat from nature, not from industrial meat farms, and they also don't have populations of 7 billion.

No, I don't go around telling everyone what bastards they are. Most people are too stupid to grasp the concept that humans probably aren't going to be around much longer.
But since you're asking, yes, you are selfish for eating meat, there are no reasons, only excuses.

also, in b4 "sustainable meat"
Je Nique vos Merdiers
I'm a vegetarian, and really the only reason I'm not a vegan is because I work at a non-vegan bakery.

That term is awesome, I've been wondering if there were any good words like that.

Animals that eat meat are either not capable of eating a plant-based diet and do not possess the cognitive capacity to understand why eating meat would be bad.
Besides, they eat meat from nature, not from industrial meat farms, and they also don't have populations of 7 billion.

No, I don't go around telling everyone what bastards they are. Most people are too stupid to grasp the concept that humans probably aren't going to be around much longer.
But since you're asking, yes, you are selfish for eating meat, there are no reasons, only excuses.

plants are alive too, though. so isn't that just as selfish?

Shameless Mystic

prof-whoriarty
Je Nique vos Merdiers

Shh, stop trying to rationalize with the over opinionated. You know by now that never works.
prof-whoriarty
Je Nique vos Merdiers

Plants do not feel pain, they are in no danger of going extinct (like your seafood), many of them can survive being eaten, and they have entirely different lifecycles than animals.

It's not animals being alive that makes it selfish for you to eat meat. It's that:
1. Factory farming is pretty much the most horrific s**t ever. Animals, which unlike plants have brains and emotions and stuff, are packed into areas too small for them to move around easily, have their dangerous body parts removed, are pumped full of antibiotics to make up for their overly close proximity (which causes antibiotic-resistant disease to become more common), usually live their lives covered in s**t, and frequently don't get killed properly when they're slaughtered.

2. These farms, of course, are separate from plant farms, which is where animals actually belong. The plant farms require fertilizer to be brought in from the outside, and the animal farms produce kilotons of animal s**t, which often gets dumped into rivers. This means that a simple solution is divided neatly into two problems, and rather than letting nature take its course, we claw the guts of the Earth for fossil fuels to turn into fertilizer and energy inputs to separate and control then food chain.

3. Those animals you're raising also need to eat plants, and here's the kicker: Rather than feeding them grass that grows from the ground, like in nature and stuff, we feed them that low-grade, roundup-resistant corn we grew with petroleum, thus doubling our losses.

4. If that wasn't dumb enough for you, cows release greenhouse gas. So much of it. They account for 18% of anthropogenic GHGs, including 40% of methane.

5. Livestock production takes 70% of agricultural land. Much of that land used to be forest, or in the case of South America, Amazon rainforest.

I had another point but I'm nodding off.

Hygienic Gawker

"Bloodmouth" sounds like a viking or a pirate. I'd rather be Bloodmouth the Dread Pirate than Cecil the vegan women's rights major.
Je Nique vos Merdiers
prof-whoriarty
Je Nique vos Merdiers

Plants do not feel pain, they are in no danger of going extinct (like your seafood), many of them can survive being eaten, and they have entirely different lifecycles than animals.

It's not animals being alive that makes it selfish for you to eat meat. It's that:
1. Factory farming is pretty much the most horrific s**t ever. Animals, which unlike plants have brains and emotions and stuff, are packed into areas too small for them to move around easily, have their dangerous body parts removed, are pumped full of antibiotics to make up for their overly close proximity (which causes antibiotic-resistant disease to become more common), usually live their lives covered in s**t, and frequently don't get killed properly when they're slaughtered.

2. These farms, of course, are separate from plant farms, which is where animals actually belong. The plant farms require fertilizer to be brought in from the outside, and the animal farms produce kilotons of animal s**t, which often gets dumped into rivers. This means that a simple solution is divided neatly into two problems, and rather than letting nature take its course, we claw the guts of the Earth for fossil fuels to turn into fertilizer and energy inputs to separate and control then food chain.

3. Those animals you're raising also need to eat plants, and here's the kicker: Rather than feeding them grass that grows from the ground, like in nature and stuff, we feed them that low-grade, roundup-resistant corn we grew with petroleum, thus doubling our losses.

4. If that wasn't dumb enough for you, cows release greenhouse gas. So much of it. They account for 18% of anthropogenic GHGs, including 40% of methane.

5. Livestock production takes 70% of agricultural land. Much of that land used to be forest, or in the case of South America, Amazon rainforest.

I had another point but I'm nodding off.
and notice how you depriving yourself of meat has changed none of this lol
Je Nique vos Merdiers

Selfish and proud, brother.
Je Nique vos Merdiers

Then I must be a time traveler, because check the thread's third post.

Savage Fairy

13,250 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Super Tipsy 200
funkyfrog
I AM R U

(joking!!!) As a vegetarian, I do often find vegans annoying - I may not eat meat, but it's my choice, and I'm not going to stop any one else from eating meat.. I even cook it! Seriously, some people just need to relax. Although the same could be said for people who do eat meat - it does get tiring being asked to explain why I don't eat meat constantly, then treated with a dozen opposing arguments that sum up to me being called an idiot for not eating meat stare

Y'know what, how about everyone just eat what the ******** they want and not complain about what other people eat and just be glad they eat something *stomps off to eat some lettuce - screams of dying lettuce*

You're my favorite vegetarian.
That last paragraph just sums up everything. lawdy heart

thanks xp
I need a high protein diet, else I get very sick. It's part of an illness I have. I can't afford to eat expensive vegan food.

And I like plants more than most animals, so. To me, it's not really much different. We don't know for a -fact- that plants can't feel pain, either.
mellifluous glass optics
I need a high protein diet, else I get very sick. It's part of an illness I have. I can't afford to eat expensive vegan food.

And I like plants more than most animals, so. To me, it's not really much different. We don't know for a -fact- that plants can't feel pain, either.

I've eaten vegan food before, if i had to live on that s**t I'd eat my ******** gun.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff