Welcome to Gaia! ::

Suicidesoldier#1

No, I'm able to understand it, I'm saying assuming that it would be the natural thing a pharmaceutical company would do when they have no likely basis in that is a little silly. So when you say, you'd need to be able to protect yourself from their assassinations, it's kind of a random thing to be concerned with. Seeing as how like, the chance of this being a real problem is rather low.

As low as it may sound to you, "Fortune favors the prepared mind".

Quote:

Corporations are made of people, and thus people with aspirations and goals. Ultimately while they are trying to make money, human things are the desire. If money was to be gained just for money's sake they could commit crimes and give up every luxury and pleasantry, which they don't tend to; most corporations and businesses do their work legally, within the confines of moral and legal premises. Ultimately, CEO's don't get money for money, they do it for Yachts, cars, expensive wine, mansions, and so on. People work originally to survive and live comfortably, and eventually to transcend that.

Ahem...... so I would assume this does not apply to Warren Buffet then? He's a billionaire already, so what will he do with his money if he doesn't wanna spend it on yachts?

Quote:

They may reward themselves a little more than they should, but most don't just take down the whole company or something for a few extra bucks. Ultimately, with something as big as "cure every disease", I think a more major sense of altruism and general well being would take over. Even most businessmen want there to be cures to horrible and life threatening diseases widely available. It's just awful.

You can keep seeing at the world with rose tinted glasses, and I hope you do start a business that genuinely only cares about altruistic intent, and not keeping your seven figure income, along with the insane bonuses at the cost of high prices of your product.

Until then, why dont you write to the pharmaceutical companies to slash the prices of their medicine because of the minimum of 4000% mark-up. Even if you put your excuse of "full cost to manufacture the medicine", it still does not justify the insane profit margin.

Fanatical Zealot

daredevil_keiji
Suicidesoldier#1

No, I'm able to understand it, I'm saying assuming that it would be the natural thing a pharmaceutical company would do when they have no likely basis in that is a little silly. So when you say, you'd need to be able to protect yourself from their assassinations, it's kind of a random thing to be concerned with. Seeing as how like, the chance of this being a real problem is rather low.

As low as it may sound to you, "Fortune favors the prepared mind".

Quote:

Corporations are made of people, and thus people with aspirations and goals. Ultimately while they are trying to make money, human things are the desire. If money was to be gained just for money's sake they could commit crimes and give up every luxury and pleasantry, which they don't tend to; most corporations and businesses do their work legally, within the confines of moral and legal premises. Ultimately, CEO's don't get money for money, they do it for Yachts, cars, expensive wine, mansions, and so on. People work originally to survive and live comfortably, and eventually to transcend that.

Ahem...... so I would assume this does not apply to Warren Buffet then? He's a billionaire already, so what will he do with his money if he doesn't wanna spend it on yachts?

Quote:

They may reward themselves a little more than they should, but most don't just take down the whole company or something for a few extra bucks. Ultimately, with something as big as "cure every disease", I think a more major sense of altruism and general well being would take over. Even most businessmen want there to be cures to horrible and life threatening diseases widely available. It's just awful.

You can keep seeing at the world with rose tinted glasses, and I hope you do start a business that genuinely only cares about altruistic intent, and not keeping your seven figure income, along with the insane bonuses at the cost of high prices of your product.

Until then, why dont you write to the pharmaceutical companies to slash the prices of their medicine because of the minimum of 4000% mark-up. Even if you put your excuse of "full cost to manufacture the medicine", it still does not justify the insane profit margin.

Well, it all comes down to reasonable price. A dollar for a bottle of pills is not too much, or even a few dollars. If someone makes insane profit for giving me a reasonable product I don't mind that. They don't sell them 10 dollars a pill for motrin, although medicine does seem to be a tad expensive. Total produce of manufacture is often a lot more than material costs; carbon fiber is a lot more expensive than the price of dirt, even though it's just carbon. Changing it under sterile and ideal conditions is probably where price issues start to come in.

Warren Buffet actually donates most of his money to Charity. Bill Gates has helped to cure polio.

I'm not saying that people don't go for personal profit and are 100% altruistic, I'm just saying when it comes to big life and death matters, most people are not completely heartless, to the point of killing others to be making money. Things really aren't black and white, there are many shades of grey.

You've got Christians, muslims, people with a code of ethics attached to lip disks, but when it comes to overarching concepts of life and death, most people have the same sense of empathy and thus sense of mortality and opinion on the subject.

Also I'm not saying that I don't prepare for the unlikely scenario of a world wide disaster of some kind, like nuclear war, or local stuff like my state just so happening to be the target of the commie's (like China, Russia, and North Korea's) invasion, but, I do admit that it's unlikely. xp

Or giant spider invasions as a result of mutation or the inevitable rise of the dinosaurs who are the ones causing global warming. ninja

I mean one escaped batch of flying scorpions from a lab? It's over man, over!

They'll just take over the environment, grow huge, and take us all out. I can't live in a world like that, because I have 3 babies!
Suicidesoldier#1

Well, it all comes down to reasonable price. A dollar for a bottle of pills is not too much, or even a few dollars. If someone makes insane profit for giving me a reasonable product I don't mind that. They don't sell them 10 dollars a pill for motrin, although medicine does seem to be a tad expensive. Total produce of manufacture is often a lot more than material costs; carbon fiber is a lot more expensive than the price of dirt, even though it's just carbon. Changing it under sterile and ideal conditions is probably where price issues start to come in.

*sigh* again, you are missing the point.

Did you read the last part of my statement regarding profit margin? I'm assuming you know what that means.

Quote:

I'm not saying that people don't go for personal profit and are 100% altruistic, I'm just saying when it comes to big life and death matters, most people are not completely heartless, to the point of killing others to be making money. Things really aren't black and white, there are many shades of grey.

Most
And that is why they weigh in their options, whatever they may be. We've already talked about this over and over and honestly it is getting tiring to be repeating the same reply.

Quote:

Also I'm not saying that I don't prepare for the unlikely scenario of a world wide disaster of some kind, like nuclear war, or local stuff like my state just so happening to be the target of the commie's (like China, Russia, and North Korea's) invasion, but, I do admit that it's unlikely. xp

Or giant spider invasions as a result of mutation or the inevitable rise of the dinosaurs who are the ones causing global warming. ninja

They'll just take over the environment, grow huge, and take us all out. I can't live in a world like that, because I have 3 babies!

Since you are already somewhat trolling on this reply, I will entertain you, what sort of actual, realistic preparation have you done to prepare yourself, and your children against the giant spider invasions? or flying scorpions since you love to convert hypothetical scenarios into realistic scenarios? I am not referring to some hypothetical preparation crap, what have you really done to prepare for it? I will be interested in your evidence.

Fanatical Zealot

daredevil_keiji
Suicidesoldier#1

*sigh* again, you are missing the point.

Did you read the last part of my statement regarding profit margin? I'm assuming you know what that means.

Quote:

Most
And that is why they weigh in their options, whatever they may be. We've already talked about this over and over and honestly it is getting tiring to be repeating the same reply.

Quote:

Since you are already somewhat trolling on this reply, I will entertain you, what sort of actual, realistic preparation have you done to prepare yourself, and your children against the giant spider invasions? or flying scorpions since you love to convert hypothetical scenarios into realistic scenarios? I am not referring to some hypothetical preparation crap, what have you really done to prepare for it? I will be interested in your evidence.

A high profit margin doesn't necessarily mean they are evil.

As for the stuffsz, I have, a .40 S&W sub-machine gun, and a .357 magnum lever action, and a bunch of camping equipment and stuff that could be used to survive if the grid shut down, as well as knowledge, and some food put back.

I don't have everything I want but ,rice and beans in hermetically sealed buckets and freeze dried meats n stuff as well as vitamin pills means I can live for quite a while after society shuts down, but have a viable and relatively healthy food supply that will last for about 25 years or more (so I'm not constantly replacing it; canned goods typically go bad in 3-5 years, sadly, and aren't as healthy). Also ways to distill or purify water, and in the long term, you'd need like a farm, which I don't exactly have, but I do have some property I could turn into a farm, and my garden gives me experiments essentially to make food and see how well it does, what the soil and fertilizer will be like, what it tastes like in general, what methods work or are easy for me, and so on.

A lot of it is knowledge at the moment, but I have at least 1000 rounds of ammo at any one point in time (although ammo prices went up and we haven't been able to buy a lot more D smile and although I want to get an Ak the same issues with prices and not having a jarbsz has been a problem. ._.
Suicidesoldier#1

I didn't necessarily say it was evil. It is a way to pay for the seven figure salaries of CEOs and further pad their wallets with insane bonuses. The will to do good is there, but is it really that good when it is tainted with personal or business agenda? You already said that medicine is "a tad expensive".

Quote:

As for the stuffsz, I have, a .40 S&W sub-machine gun, and a .357 magnum lever action, and a bunch of camping equipment and stuff that could be used to survive if the grid shut down, as well as knowledge, and some food put back.

a .40 SMG? I hope that's not an automatic weapon, if it is, I hope you are in a state that allows that and you have the necessary paperwork just in case the feds get interested.

Quote:

I don't have everything I want but ,rice and beans in hermetically sealed buckets and freeze dried meats n stuff as well as vitamin pills means I can live for quite a while after society shuts down, but have a viable and relatively healthy food supply that will last for about 25 years or more (so I'm not constantly replacing it; canned goods typically go bad in 3-5 years, sadly, and aren't as healthy). Also ways to distill or purify water, and in the long term, you'd need like a farm, which I don't exactly have, but I do have some property I could turn into a farm, and my garden gives me experiments essentially to make food and see how well it does, what the soil and fertilizer will be like, what it tastes like in general, what methods work or are easy for me, and so on.

Then good for you, at least you'll have no problem with sustainability in the short term. But a farm isn't very practical, remember in your examples aside from giant monsters, you also included a nuclear attack, if the fallout comes, you'll need a hardened underground bunker, then maybe you can harvest your goods underground, away from radiation.

Quote:

A lot of it is knowledge at the moment, but I have at least 1000 rounds of ammo at any one point in time (although ammo prices went up and we haven't been able to buy a lot more D smile and although I want to get an Ak the same issues with prices and not having a jarbsz has been a problem. ._.

Then not having a job is a problem. How else would you earn the millions necessary to stock up on ammunition and buying the land to turn into a hardened underground bunker?

Fanatical Zealot

daredevil_keiji
Suicidesoldier#1

I didn't necessarily say it was evil. It is a way to pay for the seven figure salaries of CEOs and further pad their wallets with insane bonuses. The will to do good is there, but is it really that good when it is tainted with personal or business agenda? You already said that medicine is "a tad expensive".

Quote:

a .40 SMG? I hope that's not an automatic weapon, if it is, I hope you are in a state that allows that and you have the necessary paperwork just in case the feds get interested.

Quote:

Then good for you, at least you'll have no problem with sustainability in the short term. But a farm isn't very practical, remember in your examples aside from giant monsters, you also included a nuclear attack, if the fallout comes, you'll need a hardened underground bunker, then maybe you can harvest your goods underground, away from radiation.

Quote:

Then not having a job is a problem. How else would you earn the millions necessary to stock up on ammunition and buying the land to turn into a hardened underground bunker?

It's a semi auto, sadly, but it folds in half, and I keep it under my pillow.

May sound crazy, but it's actually pretty convenient; plus when it folds in half it's impossible to fire accidentally; it accepts glock magazines, so that's nice, 30 round ones and such.

You don't really need millions, although it helps. 3 feet of dirt, 9 inches of concrete, or 3 inches of lead is sufficient to shield you from radiation. Since it works on a halfing exponential scale (1 inch let's say is 1/2, 2 is 1/4 the radiation exposure, 3 is 1/8, and so on), past a certain amount you'd need order of magnitudes of radiation so high that it's basically unachievable with modern nukes. Since the dirt is your friend, being able to survive the first year or two of the radiation is really the most important, with most your food and water being at least under 3 feet of dirt. Being under say, 30-40 is generally speaking enough to survive any nuclear blast. All you really need is an extremely reinforced door to survive the blast and something to naturally deflect the blast away so it doesn't just all get pushed on to it. You should be able to survive anything beyond ground zero. In addition, concrete isn't that expensive, although digging holes can be. You might just buy your own equipment ,but that';s still 10's of thousands of dollars. You could build it into a natural formation, like a hill or cave, and that would be cheaper.

There's aquaponics and underground stuff that could be hypothetically powered with ethanol generators powered by turning the grass into ethanol, and there's wells and such underground, but, generally speaking a wall and some fences and trenches should be sufficient. Things that are hard to climb over, generally deter most things; if they're particularly persistent then the stuff should trap them or slow them down long enough to provide an effective offensive response, like with a gun, I.E. get them stuck in the trench or trying to climb over the wall, and then shoot them. Seems neat!

You could just use bolt actions with the right defenses, so that's 7.62mm russian and a mosin nagant. Pretty cheap! I don't have everything I want but I do think about it a lot and know what it would take, cost, need to build, what the best strategies are and enough to at least bug out and such. xp

An underwater river of some kind could provide mushrooms/fish and some other cave animals essentially, but it carries the risk of radiation (mushrooms seem to do alright with that though). You could add that in with whatever you could grow underground for the first few years.
Suicidesoldier#1

May sound crazy, but it's actually pretty convenient; plus when it folds in half it's impossible to fire accidentally; it accepts glock magazines, so that's nice, 30 round ones and such.

You don't really need millions, although it helps. 3 feet of dirt, 9 inches of concrete, or 3 inches of lead is sufficient to shield you from radiation. Since it works on a halfing exponential scale (1 inch let's say is 1/2, 2 is 1/4 the radiation exposure, 3 is 1/8, and so on), past a certain amount you'd need order of magnitudes of radiation so high that it's basically unachievable with modern nukes. Since the dirt is your friend, being able to survive the first year or two of the radiation is really the most important, with most your food and water being at least under 3 feet of dirt. Being under say, 30-40 is generally speaking enough to survive any nuclear blast. All you really need is an extremely reinforced door to survive the blast and something to naturally deflect the blast away so it doesn't just all get pushed on to it. You should be able to survive anything beyond ground zero. In addition, concrete isn't that expensive, although digging holes can be. You might just buy your own equipment ,but that';s still 10's of thousands of dollars. You could build it into a natural formation, like a hill or cave, and that would be cheaper.

There's aquaponics and underground stuff that could be hypothetically powered with ethanol generators powered by turning the grass into ethanol, and there's wells and such underground, but, generally speaking a wall and some fences and trenches should be sufficient. Things that are hard to climb over, generally deter most things; if they're particularly persistent then the stuff should trap them or slow them down long enough to provide an effective offensive response, like with a gun, I.E. get them stuck in the trench or trying to climb over the wall, and then shoot them. Seems neat!

You could just use bolt actions with the right defenses, so that's 7.62mm russian and a mosin nagant. Pretty cheap! I don't have everything I want but I do think about it a lot and know what it would take, cost, need to build, what the best strategies are and enough to at least bug out and such. xp

An underwater river of some kind could provide mushrooms/fish and some other cave animals essentially, but it carries the risk of radiation (mushrooms seem to do alright with that though). You could add that in with whatever you could grow underground for the first few years.

Then it looks like you have your work cut out for you...... but first, better get a job right? xd

Fanatical Zealot

daredevil_keiji
Suicidesoldier#1

Then it looks like you have your work cut out for you...... but first, better get a job right? xd

Exactly. 30-50k should be enough, but it'll take a while to pay off. Not so bad, though. xp

Property can be cheap if you buy the right stuff, and you can also buy good equipment, build storage for it, neat stuff like that. Store your food and stuff there. Guns can be expensive but, you can get bump fire stocks, gatling guns and so on to replicate fully automatic weapons; gatling guns have to be hand cranked, but if you add an electric motor after the fact then you essentially don't have to have it be hand cranked, thus replicating full auto. Fertilizer can be turned into explosives (and also used for fertilizer), trebuchets can serve as makeshifts launching devices, you can make rockets n stuff for RPG's, or cheap mortars from tubes, mostly improvised stuff, create pipe bombs and molotov cocktails, cheap tripwires and mines for explosives and such, make a bunch of pipes that are like 6 inches and fire .22's to mimic a claymore mine, and fun stuff like that. After the government goes down, so you don't get arrested of course, except for a few tests. Quarter of an ounce of explosive is legal; turn flares into incendiary explosives with a little bit of home made explosives added, use 37mm flare launchers.

Be creative, but also be safe and do your research.

Sounds like fun, just have to put bills first. xp

Not so bad if you don't have to worry too much about kids or outstanding debt doh.

Sugar and potassium nitrate smoke bombs, magnesium (from sparklers!) and ammonium percolate for flashbangs, and so on.
Suicidesoldier#1

Sounds like fun, just have to put bills first.

Now that is a more realistic priority.

Fanatical Zealot

1. Shapeshifting
2. Levitation
3. Invincibility and immortality
dammit i dont know/cant decide

okay im just gonna list a few things..:

-i wish i had no scoliosis (i want a straight spine)

-i wish i could see better. i don't mind contacts/glasses and i was cute as a kid in little glasses but i dont like being virtually blind w/o them

-i wish i knew where all or at least some missing children/people/pets were

-i wish for world peace ...

okay back to me b/c i'm greedy and selfish...

-i wish for maybe like a few hundred more pictures of myself and my family in general from when i was a child

-i want to say money (like i don't care to have a million or anything just like 10 thousand) or maybe a perfect plot of land in the forest that i can build a house on within a few years

but i'd be overwhelmed if that just appeared in my lap. lottery winners usually end up poorer than before they won it for a reason. it's overwhelming as ********.

-i wish humans (this includes me obviously) had another sense organ on our heads or something...or that we could see more colors...or maybe we should just be able to BREATHE FIRE

so 3 of the above maybe idk

so yeah
Suicidesoldier#1
1. Shapeshifting
2. Levitation

i wish for meaning and purpose to my life

User Image

Aged Codger

9,675 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Destroyer of Cuteness 150
1. Ta' have a characta' sheet o' meself that I, and only I, can edit er change where th' edits er changes on th' characta' sheet would directly affect me
Ex: A. If'n I change me age on it ta' 20 I become 20 . B. If'n I put down as a powa' that I can summon sharks that I can
2. That th' characta' sheet be indestructible
3. I can summon me characta' sheet ta' me person at will
Hm...3 wishes you say?

1. I would wish for everyone against equality to be exiled to a different dimension, never to return.
2. I would wish for Dungeons and Dragons to be real life instead of just fantasy.
3. I would wish for the ability to grant wishes to whoever I chose without being confined to a small bottle.

Fanatical Zealot

sitting cow
Suicidesoldier#1
1. Shapeshifting
2. Levitation

i wish for meaning and purpose to my life

I can do that. ninja

How would you like to join the lucrative organization of wunnahaqalugi?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff