Welcome to Gaia! ::

Dapper Hunter

Blood Valkyrie
You thread's title confuses me.

It does not confuse me. She does not believe in god, and she wants other people to believe what she believes even if it causes them some degree of emotional pain to see their god 'attacked.' For this reason, she has created a bait and switch title to attract those types of people.

It is not confusing. It is simply misleading and casually callous. Of course, I am sure that in the end, it is ultimately for the greater good. Missionaries always look towards the greater good.
black_wing_angel
Urethra
i got into a great argument a few nights ago about something quite harmless at first, then it sorta escalated into a debate on creationism vs evolution, and i personally have never believed the human race is here thanks to a higher intelligence (although open to the idea of aliens lols)

The question that's rarely asked: What if the being we call God, was just one of these presumed aliens?

Quote:
but i guess my friend was a firm believer in god, and his opinion was strongly set on that god gave us his DNA and that's why we are smart and s**t. :/ 'cause i guess otherwise we would still be smashing rocks together and not being all that capable of complex tasks.

emotion_facepalm The idea is that we would be no more intelligent than other animals. We certainly wouldn't be as highly technologically advanced as we exist, today. We'd be basically apes without fur. Capable of some levels of intelligence, but still highly limited.

Quote:
i'm all for another person's opinion and how they see their reality/what makes sense to them.. but he didn't want ME to believe in what i thought, which pisses me off about so many people i've met who believe in a god, is that they think its their job to make me "see the light" or that its the right way, better than how i am existing at this point.

I share your pain in this regard. Those people piss me off, as well. However, it's also a 2-way street. There are atheists that act exactly the same way.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
That question is asked all the time lol

Atheists have every right to try to make religious people "see the light"

If you saw a kid try to stick a penny in a light socket, wouldn't you stop him/her and explain why what they were about to do was dangerous?

If you saw a child reading the bible, wouldn't you do the same thing? With all of these "rights to expression" "rights to religious freedom" etc, we miss the big picture, and that is: Is it NORMAL to believe you're talking to something that isn't there, and imagining that thing replying to you?
Is it safe to protect institutionalized mental illness and brainwashing?

I AM R U's Spouse

Blessed Rogue

10,775 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Mega Tipsy 100
Macodrone
black_wing_angel
Urethra
i got into a great argument a few nights ago about something quite harmless at first, then it sorta escalated into a debate on creationism vs evolution, and i personally have never believed the human race is here thanks to a higher intelligence (although open to the idea of aliens lols)

The question that's rarely asked: What if the being we call God, was just one of these presumed aliens?

Quote:
but i guess my friend was a firm believer in god, and his opinion was strongly set on that god gave us his DNA and that's why we are smart and s**t. :/ 'cause i guess otherwise we would still be smashing rocks together and not being all that capable of complex tasks.

emotion_facepalm The idea is that we would be no more intelligent than other animals. We certainly wouldn't be as highly technologically advanced as we exist, today. We'd be basically apes without fur. Capable of some levels of intelligence, but still highly limited.

Quote:
i'm all for another person's opinion and how they see their reality/what makes sense to them.. but he didn't want ME to believe in what i thought, which pisses me off about so many people i've met who believe in a god, is that they think its their job to make me "see the light" or that its the right way, better than how i am existing at this point.

I share your pain in this regard. Those people piss me off, as well. However, it's also a 2-way street. There are atheists that act exactly the same way.

Then so do we, as well. Simple as that.

Quote:
If you saw a kid try to stick a penny in a light socket, wouldn't you stop him/her and explain why what they were about to do was dangerous?

As someone who's been shocked in various situations, numerous times, including once on a 220v cable, I really can't help but question if it's really as dangerous as people make it out to be.

Painful? You bet your a**. But I'm not quite convinced that standard 110v socket could reasonably kill someone.

But I digress, yes, I would probably try to stop them. What does this have to do with religion?

Ooooh, wait. Let me guess "Religion is dangerous!", right?

Quote:
If you saw a child reading the bible, wouldn't you do the same thing?

...Speaking as a Christian, why would I?

A better comparison would be if you had said the Qoran or the Tora, or even the Satanic Bible. In which case the answers, in order, are no, no, and no.

Quote:
With all of these "rights to expression" "rights to religious freedom" etc, we miss the big picture, and that is: Is it NORMAL to believe you're talking to something that isn't there, and imagining that thing replying to you?

When you're the majority, you're the "normal" one.

That said, I'm pretty sure the majority of the human race, at least entertain the idea of some form of deity. Be it Jesus, Jehovah, Buddha, Quetzalcoatl, Zeus, Xenu, Elohim, Allah, Cthulhu, Thanatos, Odin, Mohammad, Joseph Smith, Osiris, or any other presumed divine being.

Quote:

Nice to see you're biased, and not open minded, at all. smile
black_wing_angel
Macodrone
black_wing_angel
Urethra

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

As someone who's been shocked in various situations, numerous times, including once on a 220v cable, I really can't help but question if it's really as dangerous as people make it out to be.

Painful? You bet your a**. But I'm not quite convinced that standard 110v socket could reasonably kill someone.

But I digress, yes, I would probably try to stop them. What does this have to do with religion?

Quote:

A better comparison would be if you had said the Qoran or the Tora, or even the Satanic Bible. In which case the answers, in order, are no, no, and no.

Quote:
With all of these "rights to expression" "rights to religious freedom" etc, we miss the big picture, and that is: Is it NORMAL to believe you're talking to something that isn't there, and imagining that thing replying to you?

That said, I'm pretty sure the majority of the human race, at least entertain the idea of some form of deity. Be it Jesus, Jehovah, Buddha, Quetzalcoatl, Zeus, Xenu, Elohim, Allah, Cthulhu, Thanatos, Odin, Mohammad, Joseph Smith, Osiris, or any other presumed divine being.

Quote:

I know this is lazy of me but the question I have to ask you can be found in a video which I'm going to post instead of typing it all out.

Please answer the question

I AM R U's Spouse

Blessed Rogue

10,775 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Mega Tipsy 100
Macodrone
black_wing_angel
Macodrone
black_wing_angel
Urethra

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I know this is lazy of me but the question I have to ask you can be found in a video which I'm going to post instead of typing it all out.

Implying that I only believe what I do, because I read it in a book. rofl

No. I'm not that transparent. I have personal experiences, that have guided me to my beliefs. Not all of which are touched upon in the bible. Not all of which are directly supported in the bible. I have my own personal beliefs that I crafted through years of soul searching, and logical analysis.

Also...Dough Stanhope is not exactly what I'd call a great source of intellect. Carlin was a great man. Doug could never polish Carlin's shoes.

Dangerous Sex Symbol

9,350 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Mark Twain 100

Can't be done.
Religion cannot be explained with logic because it is the antithesis of logic. It's why I hate it.
That and all the genocide, bad folk music, money schemes, people ******** with my winter holidays, etc etc etc

black_wing_angel
Macodrone
black_wing_angel
Macodrone
black_wing_angel

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

No. I'm not that transparent. I have personal experiences, that have guided me to my beliefs. Not all of which are touched upon in the bible. Not all of which are directly supported in the bible. I have my own personal beliefs that I crafted through years of soul searching, and logical analysis.

Also...Dough Stanhope is not exactly what I'd call a great source of intellect. Carlin was a great man. Doug could never polish Carlin's shoes.

That's a little vague, don't you think? You had "PERSONAL EXPERIENCES". You "searched your soul" (which is such a vague and esoteric idea anyway) and came up with what? Your own personal belief system which is God centric?

You just decided out of some quark of inspiration that.. what? I see the words you posted, I know their individual meanings and what they mean together but I think you've literally found a way to post absolutely nothing while trying to explain everything.

I AM R U's Spouse

Blessed Rogue

10,775 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Mega Tipsy 100
Macodrone
black_wing_angel
Macodrone
black_wing_angel
Macodrone

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

That's a little vague, don't you think? You had "PERSONAL EXPERIENCES". You "searched your soul" (which is such a vague and esoteric idea anyway) and came up with what? Your own personal belief system which is God centric?

I don't care to explain the details. They're complicated, and completely irrelevant to the discussion at hand. Also, I just prefer to keep to myself. I'm not interested in spreading my gospel, like a cheap suited televangelist. I strongly believe everyone should search themselves, and find their own answers.

Quote:
You just decided out of some quark of inspiration that.. what?

Uh...no. There was no sudden "spark". I didn't just wake up one day, and have it all laid out. Like I said, I spent years searching myself, and sought my own personal answers to the various questions of life and death, centered around Christianity in general.

Quote:
I see the words you posted, I know their individual meanings and what they mean together but I think you've literally found a way to post absolutely nothing while trying to explain everything.

I have no intention to explain anything to you, and I am not afraid to say it, outright. What would be the point? You're set in your own beliefs. You're not even remotely open to an alternative perspective. Why waste the effort?
black_wing_angel
Macodrone
black_wing_angel
Macodrone
black_wing_angel

I don't care to explain the details. They're complicated, and completely irrelevant to the discussion at hand. Also, I just prefer to keep to myself. I'm not interested in spreading my gospel, like a cheap suited televangelist. I strongly believe everyone should search themselves, and find their own answers.

Quote:

Uh...no. There was no sudden "spark". I didn't just wake up one day, and have it all laid out. Like I said, I spent years searching myself, and sought my own personal answers to the various questions of life and death, centered around Christianity in general.

Quote:
I see the words you posted, I know their individual meanings and what they mean together but I think you've literally found a way to post absolutely nothing while trying to explain everything.

I have no intention to explain anything to you, and I am not afraid to say it, outright. What would be the point? You're set in your own beliefs. You're not even remotely open to an alternative perspective. Why waste the effort?

So you decided to waste your time posting about how you won't waste your time explaining your surely interesting and totally plausible belief system to me?

I get it bro, believe me, you're one of those "I've got my own ideas about God and stuff and I just live my life" kind of people. doesn't it bother you at all though, knowing that if you told people you were talking to a wheel of cheese named Zandor from the 12th dimension whose wish is to spread world happiness with the great curd of Asakor you'd be on a 72 hour hold in your local hospital but admitting that you talk to Jesus, who died, came back to life, floated off to heaven to await the apocalypse when Satan tries to murder everyone and nun's take up battle axes and catch the closest 747 to Jerusalem to do battle on Mount Armageddon doesn't make anyone so much as blink their eyes?

It doesn't bother you how ridiculous your beliefs are and even if you don't believe in all the silly bullshit Christianity claims will happen or has happened you still claim to be part of the same nonsensical belief system?

I AM R U's Spouse

Blessed Rogue

10,775 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Mega Tipsy 100
Macodrone
black_wing_angel
Macodrone
black_wing_angel
Macodrone

Quote:

Quote:

So you decided to waste your time posting about how you won't waste your time explaining your surely interesting and totally plausible belief system to me?

I'm all for the discussion of the thread. I'm not for giving the irrelevant details of my own belief structure. It's that simple.

Quote:
I get it bro, believe me, you're one of those "I've got my own ideas about God and stuff and I just live my life" kind of people.

And the presumed problem with "minding your own business, and allowing others to do the same" is supposed to be.......?

Quote:
doesn't it bother you at all though, knowing that if you told people you were talking to a wheel of cheese named Zandor from the 12th dimension whose wish is to spread world happiness with the great curd of Asakor you'd be on a 72 hour hold in your local hospital but admitting that you talk to Jesus, who died, came back to life, floated off to heaven to await the apocalypse when Satan tries to murder everyone and nun's take up battle axes and catch the closest 747 to Jerusalem to do battle on Mount Armageddon doesn't make anyone so much as blink their eyes?

Yes. I do find that unfair. People having a presumably "off the wall" belief, that harms nobody, should not be grounds for a 72 hour lock-up.

Quote:
It doesn't bother you how ridiculous your beliefs are

You know, once upon a time, it was "ridiculous" to think that one could reach the far east, by traveling west. Or that man could someday step foot on the Moon. Or even that it might someday be possible to have a real time conversation with someone clear on the other hemisphere.

Everything we know today, was once a "ridiculous myth" to somebody who was not open to an alternative perspective. The only true limiter of knowledge, is self-assurance.

Quote:
and even if you don't believe in all the silly bullshit Christianity claims will happen or has happened you still claim to be part of the same nonsensical belief system?

I may have my disagreements with a few points, but that doesn't mean I can't at least agree on the big picture. That's exactly why there are so many different denominations of Christianity.
black_wing_angel
Macodrone
black_wing_angel
Macodrone
black_wing_angel

Quote:

Quote:

I'm all for the discussion of the thread. I'm not for giving the irrelevant details of my own belief structure. It's that simple.

Quote:
I get it bro, believe me, you're one of those "I've got my own ideas about God and stuff and I just live my life" kind of people.

And the presumed problem with "minding your own business, and allowing others to do the same" is supposed to be.......?

Quote:
doesn't it bother you at all though, knowing that if you told people you were talking to a wheel of cheese named Zandor from the 12th dimension whose wish is to spread world happiness with the great curd of Asakor you'd be on a 72 hour hold in your local hospital but admitting that you talk to Jesus, who died, came back to life, floated off to heaven to await the apocalypse when Satan tries to murder everyone and nun's take up battle axes and catch the closest 747 to Jerusalem to do battle on Mount Armageddon doesn't make anyone so much as blink their eyes?

Yes. I do find that unfair. People having a presumably "off the wall" belief, that harms nobody, should not be grounds for a 72 hour lock-up.

Quote:

You know, once upon a time, it was "ridiculous" to think that one could reach the far east, by traveling west. Or that man could someday step foot on the Moon. Or even that it might someday be possible to have a real time conversation with someone clear on the other hemisphere.

Everything we know today, was once a "ridiculous myth" to somebody who was not open to an alternative perspective. The only true limiter of knowledge, is self-assurance.

Quote:
and even if you don't believe in all the silly bullshit Christianity claims will happen or has happened you still claim to be part of the same nonsensical belief system?

I may have my disagreements with a few points, but that doesn't mean I can't at least agree on the big picture. That's exactly why there are so many different denominations of Christianity.

Quote:

The perpetuation of damaging beliefs.

Quote:

Because they're mentally ill and suffer from delusions. A popularly accepted delusion is still a delusion and rejection of reality.

Quote:

Science gave us all of those things. Not faith. Faith will not put a man on the moon, or develop technology. What is your point? Are you in some way suggesting that one day man will catch up with religion and we'll have some sort of... whatever?

I AM R U's Spouse

Blessed Rogue

10,775 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Mega Tipsy 100
Macodrone
black_wing_angel
Macodrone
black_wing_angel
Macodrone

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Because they're mentally ill and suffer from delusions. A popularly accepted delusion is still a delusion and rejection of reality.

Quote:

Science gave us all of those things. Not faith.

Partially incorrect. I mentioned "getting to the far east, by travelling west". That was BLIND faith. There was no scientific research on Columbus' part. He simply held a belief that the Earth was not flat, and that it was physically possible to travel around the globe accordingly. And lo and behold, despite all the people who labeled him "crazy"...he was actually right.

Quote:
Faith will not put a man on the moon, or develop technology. What is your point? Are you in some way suggesting that one day man will catch up with religion and we'll have some sort of... whatever?

Not specifically. I'm saying "We don't know". What was a ludicrous idea 100 years ago, is basic common knowledge, today. What is an asinine idea today, might be basic common knowledge tomorrow. The future holds endless possibilities, and the only limitation, is our own rejection of potential.

Devoted Explorer

black_wing_angel
Macodrone
black_wing_angel
Macodrone
black_wing_angel

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Partially incorrect. I mentioned "getting to the far east, by travelling west". That was BLIND faith. There was no scientific research on Columbus' part. He simply held a belief that the Earth was not flat, and that it was physically possible to travel around the globe accordingly. And lo and behold, despite all the people who labeled him "crazy"...he was actually right.

Quote:
Faith will not put a man on the moon, or develop technology. What is your point? Are you in some way suggesting that one day man will catch up with religion and we'll have some sort of... whatever?

Not specifically. I'm saying "We don't know". What was a ludicrous idea 100 years ago, is basic common knowledge, today. What is an asinine idea today, might be basic common knowledge tomorrow. The future holds endless possibilities, and the only limitation, is our own rejection of potential.
COLUMBUS WAS NOT THE ONE WHO DEBUNKED FLAT EARTH.

FOR ******** SAKE.

4,450 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Member 100
Major Lima Charlie
COLUMBUS WAS NOT THE ONE WHO DEBUNKED FLAT EARTH.

FOR ******** SAKE.

We can thank lunar eclipses for providing the first evidence for a round Earth
black_wing_angel
Macodrone
black_wing_angel
Macodrone
black_wing_angel

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Regardless. The earth was not flat. It was never flat, and it will never be flat. There is a big big big big BIG difference between the scientific method. Hypothesizing that the earth was not flat, testing that hypothesis by sailing somewhere, Not dying, huzzah, proof!!
And
"I accept jesus christ as my personal savior even though scientific evidence suggests that prayers are answered about 50% of the time (funny that) and anthropology suggests that God is a man made construct."

You're not even comparing apples and oranges at this point. You're comparing a toilet to a submarine.

And you know something. You already know what it's like to not believe in a God, or a certain religion. You've been not believing in Zeus your whole life because Zeus is a silly god who turns into gold and impregnates people. You don't believe in Odin because he's a silly God who drinks too much and spends too much time around well muscled warriors who use too much body oil, also frost giants, wtf!
You don't believe in Pluto because how the ******** is a planet supposed to be a God and why is he telling me when to die LOL.
You don't believe in Luminos, the stripper Goddess who lives in the center of a hollow moon who generates moon beams of bliss via rhythmic pelvic gyrations because I made her up just now.
You don't believe in Paladine, or Lolth because they're charaters from books based on D&D and it would be ridiculous to actually worship them in real life (or at least super nerdy)

BUT
You believe in Jesus Christ who was said to have walked on water, lived in a giant fish, multiplied bread and fish, cured lepers with his touch, died, came back to life, rose up to heaven to wait for the apocalypse where he would return as Jesus 2 where all the righteous people in the world would be taken away to heaven for all eternity because he once died for your sins because some dumb tart in a garden 7000 years ago ate an apple because she was outsmarted by a talking snake.
This will be the SECOND time all the people on earth are killed by God by the way. Don't let me forget this one. After a whole bunch of shameful activities which would make Caligula blush God floods the earth, but swears off mass genocide until the end of days when once again humanity pisses him off by breaking 7 seals and this time he means it.
But that whole thing about the Minotaur being born from a woman who was seduced by Zeus into copulating with a bull? Yeah that's far fetched. God though, yeah. Don't piss that guy off.

If you applied the same logic and reasoning skills that you use to explain why Zeus and his strange sexual fetishes are illogical and at best interesting fables.
Why Odin, Thor, Baldor, Frig, Frija and frost giants are silly, and not worthy of being worshiped because you're the kind of realistic theist who need's his religion NOT to involve monsters from Harry Potter
And why you don't believe in all of those stylish but ultimately stupid Indian gods.

Then why can't you turn that logic towards your own religion which is just as silly as an elephant headed God, or a bearded spear wielding man who drank the mead of superpowers and hung himself upside down on a tree for a while so he could ride a horse with 8 legs and do battle with dragons.

YOUR RELIGION IS JUST AS SILLY. I know I only needed to give one example and yet I went on and on and on and gave you about 20 examples of how your religion makes as much sense as the above,

So in askance.
Where the hell do you get off believing in something so stammeringly stupid while trying to legitimize it by comparing it to Columbus.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff