Welcome to Gaia! ::

Desirable Noob

10,925 Points
  • Noob wrangler 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
I love Canada, I don't want the U.S to ruin Canada. Please, it's also the one way for me to say, 'Hey, I have been out of the United States before.' I don't want to go up there and stay in the U.S. Also, Canada has good ice cream.
ratgirl34

Yeah you could nuke us pretty easily. But then you'd ******** up some major sources of your own freshwater, destroy power plants that give you energy, and destroy oil lines that provide you with natural resources. You'd pretty much be indirectly nuking yourselves.

So yes, as a Canadian I'll call your bluff.

That would be a problem I'd be willing to address after the people killing us are wiped off the face of the earth.
ratgirl34
If we had the equipment the U.S. does, we'd kick a** even if we are outnumbered, the difference is that we don't put our entire national identity on our military, we have other priorities. It annoys the ******** out of me.

But that means you are at the mercy of a nation that does if you choose to fight.

Shirtless Member

Very Horrorshow
ratgirl34

Yeah you could nuke us pretty easily. But then you'd ******** up some major sources of your own freshwater, destroy power plants that give you energy, and destroy oil lines that provide you with natural resources. You'd pretty much be indirectly nuking yourselves.

That would be a problem I'd be willing to address after the people killing us are wiped off the face of the earth.
So what would you do about contaminated water flowing into your country? Pockets of resources that you can't harvest because they are radioactive? And locations where you can't put hydro dams to produce electricity because they are contaminated after you nuked it?

I'm just curious about how badly you've done your homework on this.

edit: also, in the scenario proposed by the OP, Canada isn't the aggressor, the U.S. is.
ratgirl34
Very Horrorshow
ratgirl34

So what would you do about contaminated water flowing into your country? Pockets of resources that you can't harvest because they are radioactive? And locations where you can't put hydro dams to produce electricity because they are contaminated after you nuked it?

edit: also, in the scenario proposed by the OP, Canada isn't the aggressor, the U.S. is.

Repeat; if it's actually come to war, the priority is simple. Destroy the enemy. That is all. Anything less is asking for failure. We did not heed this in Vietnam. We did not heed this in Afghanistan. We did not heed it in Iraq.

I AM R U's Spouse

Blessed Rogue

10,775 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Mega Tipsy 100
They committed the war-crime of exporting Justin Beiber AND Celine Dion to us. They are the source of all the cold weather in the US. They speak FRENCH!!! We need not invade. We need to outright NUKE the ********, eh!

Although we do need to find a way to protect the maple syrup industry. And Crown Royal. And that guy that voiced Vegeta and gave us the "IT'S OVER 9000!!!!!!" meme.

Oh, and we need to publicly execute Jim Carrey. He's worn out his welcome, since voicing an opposition to vaccinations. ******** him. Ace Ventura can not save him, now.
ratgirl34
bogosghost1
ratgirl34
In the war of 1812 the U.S. declared war on Britain, not the other way around. The U.S. invaded British territory making the U.S. the aggressors. And Canada, as in the settlements, had nothing to do with anything the British did to piss off the U.S. yet it was Canada that was attacked. Which I suppose makes sense, if you can't reach the heart of Britian then slap its hand.

But if you are learning in school that Britian started that war, then you are reading an edited history buddy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_history_of_Canada#War_of_1812
Quote:
After the cessation of hostilities at the end of the American Revolution, animosity and suspicion continued between the United States and the United Kingdom,[110] erupting in 1812 when the Americans declared war on the British.

Hmmm... the US declared war (as in brought on the war of 1812) but that's not exactly the whole story... There's a reason they did it, it wasn't on a whim or to just gain territory in Canada. At the treaty of Paris in 1783, the Northwest Territory was ceded to the Americans so that they would be able to expand westward.

But strange, it seems that the British retained a presence there and had forts in the region where they should not have according to the Treaty. They also armed the Native Americans who were hostile towards American Expansion (Tecumseh much?) and meddled in areas where they shouldn't have been, up to 1815 after the war. Also, there were several Indian raids on American settlers in the frontier, who happened to have British guns, and who were backed by the British. The British were not innocent leading up to the war of 1812.
Quote:

According to that same page, at best we should be calling it a draw. You got your independence, got pissy because of the way the British ran their navy which resulted in Americans being forced to serve in it, attacked Canada, and were repelled.
Quote:
Neither side of the war can claim total victory.

Sure the overall result is that there was no change in territory based on lines drawn before the war, but don't fool yourself into thinking that you won or that the British were the aggressors. And country yet or not, we were still Canada, and we did contribute quite a bit more than you give us credit for in that war.

At best the war of 1812 was a draw, at worst the British/Canadians won more of the time. While America did pull off some remarkable battles (Sacking and burning of York, Battle of Baltimore, Battle of New Orleans - even though this was fought after the war lol), I would say that the British/Canadians performed overall better in terms of battles in the Northwest territories, battles in the US, and, of course, the burning of the white house (although, to be fair, that was the British who were responsible, as well as their huge naval blockade and bombardments assisting Canadians throughout the war ) A problem for the US was their horrrrrrrible generals that they sent. Seriously, they were incompetent, untested, and arrogant for the most part.

The name of the game with the war of 1812 was a delay in communication.

2 days before the US declared war, the British decided to repeal the Orders in Council, which would have stopped forcing neutrals (such as America) to only trade with them in the war against France. However, because of the Atlantic, news didn't reach this side in time and the war had already broken out, putting an end to a diplomatic dispute. Also, I believe the British stopped the impressment of US sailors as well! But tragically, the war had already started.

Also, several Americans may think of the war of 1812 as a win for them (even though it wasn't) because of the battle of New Orleans,which brought Andrew Jackson to prominence. The British got owned there. But, again, that delay of communication. The Treaty of Ghent had been signed less than a month before the battle I believe, so technically the war was already over, but again the Atlantic.

Anyways, the borders went back to being a draw, but there's something I should note that played to America's favor (not necessarily because of the war of 1812). It was after the war ended where the British stopped meddling with the frontier, and largely due to Tecumseh's loss, the war opened up the US to expand westward, where before it had been severely hindered from that. So yeah, the war of 1812, interesting to talk about, borders went back to the status quo, and it was a war that could have been prevented had communication traveled quicker. America did gain its objectives, but not from the war itself, a lot of that was from the end of the Napoleonic conflicts. After the war of 1812, the US was free to trade, sailors were not impressed, and their sovereignty wasn't impinged upon as it had been. They were free to globally send their navy places, such as with the Barbary pirates in the Tripolitan Conflict, and most importantly they could expand west with the Native Problem being out of the picture.

But, again, I can see how Canadians today would say that they won the war. However, gaining territory and holding territory was not an objective of either side (The US invaded Canada primarily because of impressment and the British inspiring native raids, not for the sake of invading Canada).

This is true, the British were being dicks, and they were in the process of stopping that when then war broke out and well.. Atlantic. But that doesn't make the U.S. any less the aggressors. Not that I blame them for striking out at the only viable target, what else could they do to get Britians attention?

The Northwest Territory is rather far away from U.S. borders for that time, and since it is presently a part of Canada I can't see the U.S. giving it to us. Alaska didn't become a part of the U.S. until 1867, and I can't find anything online that suggests the NWT has ever been a part of the U.S. Which is what I expected so I guess it's possible I'm biased in my search... Pretty sure that NWT was never a part of the U.S.

I'm not a huge history buff, but I remember enough from school to know what wars we won and what we lost. And Canada generally does pretty well for a bunch of peacekeepers, so it pisses me off when people brush off our successes like we're little kids who don't know what the ******** we're doing. If we had the equipment the U.S. does, we'd kick a** even if we are outnumbered, the difference is that we don't put our entire national identity on our military, we have other priorities. It annoys the ******** out of me.

Ahh sorry for the confusion. The American "Northwest Territory" was an American territory that now has the states of Ohio, Michigan, Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin, and parts of Minnesota (pretty much around the Great Lakes). At the time that was "Northwest Territory" for America lol but yeah that's where the British had forts and where alot of stuff with Native Americans was going on.

And oh yeah, I'm an American, and I'm saying that you guys really performed in that war. It was either a draw or tipping for your victory you could say at parts. Part of that could be that um... certain Americans are all "Murica" for you lol. Americans love to be patriotic and to not think about wars that we... didn't exactly win lol. But yeah, America was only acknowledged as a "world power" with (to a lesser extent) WWI, and especially after WWII. Another reason that America is stronger militarily is simply the population explosion that's happened at various times in our history compared to Canada's population. But yeah... I like Canada blaugh

But anyways, I was reading some stuff about the American Revolutionary war, and it really is interesting how much cultural history we really share as nations and along the border. I read that in the Articles of Confederation, Canadian provinces were given a chance to join America, and the US almost got Quebec in on it, but they bungled negotiations and the British satisfied the French people there. I read that a few Canadian regiments joined the Americans against the British in that conflict (not a lot, but still a good contribution). Also it's interesting to note that alot of American loyalists, especially in the northeast areas around places like Massachussetts left America and settled in some Canadian provinces, especially New Brunswick and Nova Scotia I think. So they essentially became Canadian.

Mewling Ladykiller

Hell naw. Don't ruin Canada with shitty US policies. D; I'd hate to move there in the pursuit of marriage and a working healthcare system only to have that taken away.

Shirtless Member

Very Horrorshow
ratgirl34
Very Horrorshow
ratgirl34

Repeat; if it's actually come to war, the priority is simple. Destroy the enemy. That is all. Anything less is asking for failure. We did not heed this in Vietnam. We did not heed this in Afghanistan. We did not heed it in Iraq.

So you have nothing intelligent to say in regards to nuking Canada. Glad to have that cleared up.

Shirtless Member

bogosghost1
ratgirl34
bogosghost1
ratgirl34
In the war of 1812 the U.S. declared war on Britain, not the other way around. The U.S. invaded British territory making the U.S. the aggressors. And Canada, as in the settlements, had nothing to do with anything the British did to piss off the U.S. yet it was Canada that was attacked. Which I suppose makes sense, if you can't reach the heart of Britian then slap its hand.

But if you are learning in school that Britian started that war, then you are reading an edited history buddy.

Quote:
After the cessation of hostilities at the end of the American Revolution, animosity and suspicion continued between the United States and the United Kingdom,[110] erupting in 1812 when the Americans declared war on the British.

Hmmm... the US declared war (as in brought on the war of 1812) but that's not exactly the whole story... There's a reason they did it, it wasn't on a whim or to just gain territory in Canada. At the treaty of Paris in 1783, the Northwest Territory was ceded to the Americans so that they would be able to expand westward.

But strange, it seems that the British retained a presence there and had forts in the region where they should not have according to the Treaty. They also armed the Native Americans who were hostile towards American Expansion (Tecumseh much?) and meddled in areas where they shouldn't have been, up to 1815 after the war. Also, there were several Indian raids on American settlers in the frontier, who happened to have British guns, and who were backed by the British. The British were not innocent leading up to the war of 1812.
Quote:

According to that same page, at best we should be calling it a draw. You got your independence, got pissy because of the way the British ran their navy which resulted in Americans being forced to serve in it, attacked Canada, and were repelled.
Quote:

Sure the overall result is that there was no change in territory based on lines drawn before the war, but don't fool yourself into thinking that you won or that the British were the aggressors. And country yet or not, we were still Canada, and we did contribute quite a bit more than you give us credit for in that war.

At best the war of 1812 was a draw, at worst the British/Canadians won more of the time. While America did pull off some remarkable battles (Sacking and burning of York, Battle of Baltimore, Battle of New Orleans - even though this was fought after the war lol), I would say that the British/Canadians performed overall better in terms of battles in the Northwest territories, battles in the US, and, of course, the burning of the white house (although, to be fair, that was the British who were responsible, as well as their huge naval blockade and bombardments assisting Canadians throughout the war ) A problem for the US was their horrrrrrrible generals that they sent. Seriously, they were incompetent, untested, and arrogant for the most part.

2 days before the US declared war, the British decided to repeal the Orders in Council, which would have stopped forcing neutrals (such as America) to only trade with them in the war against France. However, because of the Atlantic, news didn't reach this side in time and the war had already broken out, putting an end to a diplomatic dispute. Also, I believe the British stopped the impressment of US sailors as well! But tragically, the war had already started.

Also, several Americans may think of the war of 1812 as a win for them (even though it wasn't) because of the battle of New Orleans,which brought Andrew Jackson to prominence. The British got owned there. But, again, that delay of communication. The Treaty of Ghent had been signed less than a month before the battle I believe, so technically the war was already over, but again the Atlantic.

Anyways, the borders went back to being a draw, but there's something I should note that played to America's favor (not necessarily because of the war of 1812). It was after the war ended where the British stopped meddling with the frontier, and largely due to Tecumseh's loss, the war opened up the US to expand westward, where before it had been severely hindered from that. So yeah, the war of 1812, interesting to talk about, borders went back to the status quo, and it was a war that could have been prevented had communication traveled quicker. America did gain its objectives, but not from the war itself, a lot of that was from the end of the Napoleonic conflicts. After the war of 1812, the US was free to trade, sailors were not impressed, and their sovereignty wasn't impinged upon as it had been. They were free to globally send their navy places, such as with the Barbary pirates in the Tripolitan Conflict, and most importantly they could expand west with the Native Problem being out of the picture.

But, again, I can see how Canadians today would say that they won the war. However, gaining territory and holding territory was not an objective of either side (The US invaded Canada primarily because of impressment and the British inspiring native raids, not for the sake of invading Canada).

This is true, the British were being dicks, and they were in the process of stopping that when then war broke out and well.. Atlantic. But that doesn't make the U.S. any less the aggressors. Not that I blame them for striking out at the only viable target, what else could they do to get Britians attention?

The Northwest Territory is rather far away from U.S. borders for that time, and since it is presently a part of Canada I can't see the U.S. giving it to us. Alaska didn't become a part of the U.S. until 1867, and I can't find anything online that suggests the NWT has ever been a part of the U.S. Which is what I expected so I guess it's possible I'm biased in my search... Pretty sure that NWT was never a part of the U.S.

I'm not a huge history buff, but I remember enough from school to know what wars we won and what we lost. And Canada generally does pretty well for a bunch of peacekeepers, so it pisses me off when people brush off our successes like we're little kids who don't know what the ******** we're doing. If we had the equipment the U.S. does, we'd kick a** even if we are outnumbered, the difference is that we don't put our entire national identity on our military, we have other priorities. It annoys the ******** out of me.

Ahh sorry for the confusion. The American "Northwest Territory" was an American territory that now has the states of Ohio, Michigan, Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin, and parts of Minnesota (pretty much around the Great Lakes). At the time that was "Northwest Territory" for America lol but yeah that's where the British had forts and where alot of stuff with Native Americans was going on.

And oh yeah, I'm an American, and I'm saying that you guys really performed in that war. It was either a draw or tipping for your victory you could say at parts. Part of that could be that um... certain Americans are all "Murica" for you lol. Americans love to be patriotic and to not think about wars that we... didn't exactly win lol. But yeah, America was only acknowledged as a "world power" with (to a lesser extent) WWI, and especially after WWII. Another reason that America is stronger militarily is simply the population explosion that's happened at various times in our history compared to Canada's population. But yeah... I like Canada blaugh

But anyways, I was reading some stuff about the American Revolutionary war, and it really is interesting how much cultural history we really share as nations and along the border. I read that in the Articles of Confederation, Canadian provinces were given a chance to join America, and the US almost got Quebec in on it, but they bungled negotiations and the British satisfied the French people there. I read that a few Canadian regiments joined the Americans against the British in that conflict (not a lot, but still a good contribution). Also it's interesting to note that alot of American loyalists, especially in the northeast areas around places like Massachussetts left America and settled in some Canadian provinces, especially New Brunswick and Nova Scotia I think. So they essentially became Canadian.

Ah, yes that makes a lot more sense. I think the sites I went to must have been attempting to simplify the treaty by either not saying much at all, or naming the land by what state(s) it currently is. Oversimplification is not great for logistics.

Usually I don't want to give suicide soldier papercuts in the webbing of his fingers and then pour salt on them, I actually think he's been trolling me in some of the s**t he's had to say about Canada. The things I laughed at I genuinely find funny, but as I said... It pisses me off when people disregard us because we aren't just like the states and don't really want to be. It's like telling a kid they aren't important because their big brother is better than them at everything, they're just being a ******** a*****e for doing it and deserve a swift kick to the nuts. And honestly we are great at plenty, we just don't brag at literally every opportunity.

So I appreciate that you are not a part of that awful stereotype that is much too often true.

I always found that kind of freaky in history class, all the things we share at the border. Then it made me wonder what the formation of other countries was like... Which ones have similar situations to us and which ones don't. I once thought about looking into that, then realized how time consuming that would be if the information even exists and how I'd rather spend my time doing other things.

Fanatical Zealot

ratgirl34
bogosghost1
ratgirl34

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

We were the first to declare war, not the first to attack. Being a sneaky b*****d and not officially declaring any of your attacks doesn't preclude you from being responsible for them. Unless you think pearl Harbor, 9/11, D-Day (and yes, that one was by us), doesn't truly signal the start of the war?

The British sought to cut off the U.S.'s trade, which eventually brought the "American economy to near bankruptcy, forcing it to rely on loans for the rest of the war. American foreign trade was reduced to a trickle. The parlous American economy was thrown into chaos with prices soaring and unexpected shortages causing hardship in New England which was considering secession." American ships were routinely attacked, especially those going to France, and the Chesapeake affair was seen as the final straw, although it was common for Britain to attacks U.S. ships at the time (primarily to recruit, or essentially enslave U.S. sailors into their military). Finally, they armed and trained the natives, as well as encouraged attacks against the U.S., sometimes even embedding their troops within the units (albeit poorly disguised). It was even stated in their negotiations that they wanted an Indian buffer state between the U.S. and Canada, to put the group at American borders. This was of course refused, in large part because the buffer state would have been in U.S. land. Finally, the negotiations demanded U.S. land, which virtually conceded that this was among the British's goals all the time, which of course were refused (yet the Americans made no such demands).

The British had planned three invasions. One force burned Washington but failed to capture Baltimore, and sailed away when its commander was killed. In northern New York State, 10,000 British veterans were marching south until a decisive defeat at the Battle of Plattsburgh forced them back to Canada. The third large invasion force that was sent to New Orleans was also soundly defeated, even thought it wasn't until long after the war. While America had failed to capture areas of Southern Canada, they had stopped the attacks into their country, and essentially dissolved the raiding forces that were going into the U.S. It was common for the British to work with the Indians, and it more or less showed that they had been working close with the Native Americans for much of time, to be able to launch such coordinated attacks. It's sad the Native Americans got the short end of the stick though, they just joined up with the wrong side.

To hopefully put this into perspective, Canada couldn't have won the war because they didn't exist as a country at the time nor did they have a military. The British military did the bulk of the fighting, assisted by the natives. Secondly, Britain failed to achieve their ultimate objectives and fled the country after several defeats, after which they made a peace agreement in Belgium after all three of their key invasion forces were routed. Thirdly, Britain had been demanding the whole time more territory and access to trade routes (in addition to cutting the Americans off from this), to which the Americans refused. While we could say the Americans lost nothing, it was because of the fact the British were trying to destroy and take us over, and we resisted yet again, that it was considered a victory for the Americans. To win a defensive war, all you have to do is not lose. Failing to be taken over is kind of the victory. If you don't consider that to be a victory for whatever reason, that's fine and all, but the idea that Canada somehow won or that America was the aggressor kind of makes no sense.

Tipsy Prophet

15,625 Points
  • Conquerer of Familiars 350
  • Budding Witch 250
  • Ghost Hunter 250
Tigress Dawn
Fallen-Pottery-Angel
Here's a lovely idea. Leave Canada alone. Besides most Quebecois don't want to separate, it's just a few loons. Plus we have some of the best Maple Syrup ever.

Also, we can kick you asses in Hockey. Both men's and women's. Or did you forget about the 2014 Winter Olympics?

Oh, and not all our health care is free. It varies from province to province.

Yeah, but if we invaded we could have your Maple Syrup for free. Right now it's expensive. crying

That's not our fault. xD

Dapper Codger

7,825 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
ratgirl34
Very Horrorshow
ratgirl34
Very Horrorshow
ratgirl34

So you have nothing intelligent to say in regards to nuking Canada. Glad to have that cleared up.

Probably because nuking Canada would be ******** stupid.

Desirable Noob

10,925 Points
  • Noob wrangler 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
Wild Herb
Bubblehead0987654321
I love Canada, I don't want the U.S to ruin Canada. Please, it's also the one way for me to say, 'Hey, I have been out of the United States before.' I don't want to go up there and stay in the U.S. Also, Canada has good ice cream.

lol, if you ever go visit puerto rico, it being a commonwealth of the U.S...would you still say you been outside of the U.S or would you just say you went to puerto rico in the context someone said they went to california? lol...that's one to think about!

I would say I went to Puerto Rico, since they aren't a state yet, just a territory. Sadly enough, the U.S had to touch them. Sigh...

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff