Welcome to Gaia! ::

Unless the thread uses a different perspective to look at the entire situation, what's the point?

It just becomes a useless tug of war between two sides and there's nothing to win at the end.

Why can't we just let people believe/support whatever it is they believe/support and talk about more pressing issues?

Is it just me?
MIKAHCHO v3
Unless the thread uses a different perspective to look at the entire situation, what's the point?

It just becomes a useless tug of war between two sides and there's nothing to win at the end.

Why can't we just let people believe/support whatever it is they believe/support and talk about more pressing issues?

Is it just me?

The irony that this thread is about religion and religious threads.
Macodrone
MIKAHCHO v3

Is it just me?

The irony that this thread is about religion and religious threads.

The thread is about religious threads, not religion itself, though religious debate will probably be a tangent off of which people discuss God.

This isn't about religion, but about the excessive discussion of it, which leads to no worthwhile result.

Lonely Hunter

6,950 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Profitable 100
well you are essentially asking why can't we let people believe things which a demonstrably false. its a simple answer really. we have to share a world with these people. and if they believe crazy things they'll do crazy things.

Blessed Rogue

10,450 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Mega Tipsy 100
MIKAHCHO v3

In my own experience, generally to troll.

Quote:

Because damn it! I can't rest until all the world is just like me!

Quote:
Is it just me?

It's at least both of us.

Which means it's at least "Contra". You can be Bill. biggrin
Jin_of_the_thunder
well you are essentially asking why can't we let people believe things which a demonstrably false. its a simple answer really. we have to share a world with these people. and if they believe crazy things they'll do crazy things.

Believing isn't the same as doing, and of course there are laws to regulate what we can and cannot do
black_wing_angel
MIKAHCHO v3

Quote:

Quote:
Is it just me?

Got it, Lance cool

Blessed Rogue

10,450 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Mega Tipsy 100
MIKAHCHO v3
black_wing_angel
MIKAHCHO v3

Quote:

Quote:
Is it just me?

Got it, Lance cool

*inserts quarters*

Lonely Hunter

6,950 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Profitable 100
MIKAHCHO v3
Jin_of_the_thunder

Believing isn't the same as doing, and of course there are laws to regulate what we can and cannot do

yes but what we believe influences what we do. for example if someone believes that gay marriage is wrong they would be more likely to vote against it then for it. also laws are meaningless if a persons belief is strong enough. many people have broken laws for their beliefs.
black_wing_angel
MIKAHCHO v3
black_wing_angel
MIKAHCHO v3

Quote:

Quote:
Is it just me?

Got it, Lance cool

*inserts quarters*

Let's kick some a** (until the arcade closes)
Jin_of_the_thunder
MIKAHCHO v3
Jin_of_the_thunder

yes but what we believe influences what we do. for example if someone believes that gay marriage is wrong they would be more likely to vote against it then for it. also laws are meaningless if a persons belief is strong enough. many people have broken laws for their beliefs.

And those who break the laws will face consequences. But making posts about it on gaiaonline.com won't change anybody's views. People are stubborn and unwilling to change, so why the constant topics?

Lonely Hunter

6,950 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Profitable 100
MIKAHCHO v3
Jin_of_the_thunder
MIKAHCHO v3
Jin_of_the_thunder

And those who break the laws will face consequences. But making posts about it on gaiaonline.com won't change anybody's views. People are stubborn and unwilling to change, so why the constant topics?

I don't know why you think the law is a factor in this, there is plenty of immoral stuff within the law that people believe and do. and how do you know that people won't change there mind? I know a person who used to be a christian but after spending some time looking at arguments on multiple sites, including this one, left their religion.
Jin_of_the_thunder
MIKAHCHO v3
Jin_of_the_thunder
MIKAHCHO v3
Jin_of_the_thunder

I don't know why you think the law is a factor in this, there is plenty of immoral stuff within the law that people believe and do. and how do you know that people won't change there mind? I know a person who used to be a christian but after spending some time looking at arguments on multiple sites, including this one, left their religion.

You're right, people can change, but 99% of the time people won't be willing to research on multiple sites and take what's being said to heart. And you said many people will break the law for their beliefs, that's why I mentioned it

Lonely Hunter

6,950 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Profitable 100
MIKAHCHO v3
Jin_of_the_thunder
MIKAHCHO v3
Jin_of_the_thunder
MIKAHCHO v3
Jin_of_the_thunder

You're right, people can change, but 99% of the time people won't be willing to research on multiple sites and take what's being said to heart. And you said many people will break the law for their beliefs, that's why I mentioned it

if it only happens 1% of the time then its still worth it.
Jin_of_the_thunder
MIKAHCHO v3
Jin_of_the_thunder
MIKAHCHO v3
Jin_of_the_thunder

if it only happens 1% of the time then its still worth it.

Why is it worth it? Somebody's life is being changed, but it could be for better or for worse.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get Items
Get Gaia Cash
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games