Welcome to Gaia! ::

Magical Girl

Riviera de la Mancha
HMS Thunder Child
Riviera de la Mancha
HMS Thunder Child
Mei tsuki7
I eat meat because I believe all life is precious and choosing to eat some but not others doesn't make sense to me. I see no difference between killing a plant and killing an animal. Therefore, I eat everything. Well everything I personally like. Plus it is the circle of life. Animals eat other animals. That's how it works and how it's supposed to work. That's how life was created to be.

That being said I respect everyone's wishes and would never shame someone for their food choices. All I ask that others do the same for me.
[Skeptical]

It's hardly a circle when everything makes a straight line into human guts.

Biology class fail.

Mold, worms, and other 'garbage men of nature', then eat humans. These worms convert humans to nutrients, which they provide to plant matter. Plant matter makes use of this energy, along with other processes, to produce sugars and grow. Animals consume plant matter to obtain their minerals and sugars in their constitution to give themselves energy and growth. Animals which eat other animals then consume plant-consuming animals to get the energy from plants, stored inside them, to grow themselves. They then die, and back to step one.
[Annoyed]

Stow the Lion King crap. A circle implies some modicum of equality and there is none. Humans are so vastly overpowered compared to the rest of the animal kingdom and the plant and fungi kingdoms as well. When so much falls off the map due to human activity, it's impossible to call it a circle. If you remove humans, sure, it's a fairly self-sustaining circular mechanism. But you cannot remove humans, so the point stands.

I will stow it when its not applicable. It completely is.

First, there is a balance, for reasons already elucidated. For all this 'power' you claim humans have, ain't seen or heard of a body yet that can combat the process of age and decay.

If anything ought to be stowed, its this silly little thought you seem to have that humans are so powerful as to be immune to biological processes.
[Bored]

Biological immortality means little on the large scale considering we have societal immortality, or close enough. Humanity builds upon itself, both the living and the dead. All of our depravity and sickness just lives on, long after the founders have died.
HMS Thunder Child
Riviera de la Mancha
HMS Thunder Child
Riviera de la Mancha
HMS Thunder Child
Mei tsuki7
I eat meat because I believe all life is precious and choosing to eat some but not others doesn't make sense to me. I see no difference between killing a plant and killing an animal. Therefore, I eat everything. Well everything I personally like. Plus it is the circle of life. Animals eat other animals. That's how it works and how it's supposed to work. That's how life was created to be.

That being said I respect everyone's wishes and would never shame someone for their food choices. All I ask that others do the same for me.
[Skeptical]

It's hardly a circle when everything makes a straight line into human guts.

Biology class fail.

Mold, worms, and other 'garbage men of nature', then eat humans. These worms convert humans to nutrients, which they provide to plant matter. Plant matter makes use of this energy, along with other processes, to produce sugars and grow. Animals consume plant matter to obtain their minerals and sugars in their constitution to give themselves energy and growth. Animals which eat other animals then consume plant-consuming animals to get the energy from plants, stored inside them, to grow themselves. They then die, and back to step one.
[Annoyed]

Stow the Lion King crap. A circle implies some modicum of equality and there is none. Humans are so vastly overpowered compared to the rest of the animal kingdom and the plant and fungi kingdoms as well. When so much falls off the map due to human activity, it's impossible to call it a circle. If you remove humans, sure, it's a fairly self-sustaining circular mechanism. But you cannot remove humans, so the point stands.

First, there is a balance, for reasons already elucidated. For all this 'power' you claim humans have, ain't seen or heard of a body yet that can combat the process of age and decay.

If anything ought to be stowed, its this silly little thought you seem to have that humans are so powerful as to be immune to biological processes.
[Bored]

Biological immortality means little on the large scale considering we have societal immortality, or close enough. Humanity builds upon itself, both the living and the dead. All of our depravity and sickness just lives on, long after the founders have died.

So now you are going on some kind of socio-cultural rant? Nice, but red herrings don't sit on my palate well.

I mean seriously, I don't know why you even took the position you did. Arguing that humans are so powerful as to avoid decay and aging? Really? More and more you are starting to drift into my mental 'Troll' column. You will, if you are not careful, find yourself with Pockybot, Demon of the X Shadow, and Suicidesoldier as bedfellows.

Magical Girl

Riviera de la Mancha
HMS Thunder Child
Riviera de la Mancha
HMS Thunder Child
Riviera de la Mancha

Biology class fail.

[Annoyed]

[Bored]

So now you are going on some kind of socio-cultural rant? Nice, but red herrings don't sit on my palate well.

I mean seriously, I don't know why you even took the position you did. Arguing that humans are so powerful as to avoid decay and aging? Really? More and more you are starting to drift into my mental 'Troll' column. You will, if you are not careful, find yourself with Pockybot, Demon of the X Shadow, and Suicidesoldier as bedfellows.
[Bored]

That you failed to grasp my original point does not make it a red herring.

I never once argued that they could avoid decay or aging. I even explained it to you after you expressed confusion the first time. I said that human society has longevity, which places it outside of the rest of the organisms on the planet. That includes the food cycle. We have manipulated it to our own advantage. Our largest enemies are humans themselves, bacteria, viruses, and the Earth itself. Everything else is small potatoes. We are rather unique.
HMS Thunder Child
Riviera de la Mancha
HMS Thunder Child
Riviera de la Mancha
HMS Thunder Child
Riviera de la Mancha

Biology class fail.

[Annoyed]

[Bored]

[Bored]

I never once argued that they could avoid decay or aging. I even explained it to you after you expressed confusion the first time. I said that human society has longevity, which places it outside of the rest of the organisms on the planet. That includes the food cycle. We have manipulated it to our own advantage. Our largest enemies are humans themselves, bacteria, viruses, and the Earth itself. Everything else is small potatoes. We are rather unique.

If that's your 'original point', then you didn't even get your own argument. The topic of discussion was human's place on the biological process referred to as the circle of life. Need I cite for you your own words and the comment which prefaced it that in no way mentions society at all?

The only possible thing I can see here to explain it is that you don't know what biology is, as you seem to confuse the circle of life (a biological concept) with social standing (a sociological concept).

You also forgot mold. ;P

Magical Girl

Riviera de la Mancha
HMS Thunder Child
Riviera de la Mancha
HMS Thunder Child
Riviera de la Mancha

[Bored]

[Bored]

If that's your 'original point', then you didn't even get your own argument. The topic of discussion was human's place on the biological process referred to as the circle of life. Need I cite for you your own words and the comment which prefaced it that in no way mentions society at all?

The only possible thing I can see here to explain it is that you don't know what biology is, as you seem to confuse the circle of life (a biological concept) with social standing (a sociological concept).

You also forgot mold. ;P
[Tired]

The topic of discussion was whatever my point of contention with Mei's argument I took, before you hopped in.

Except you're wrong. My biological knowledge, while definitely rudimentary, is not weak. Humans affect biology. We also affect ecology, which is what you're seeking to describe, not biology. The circle of life is influenced by the members. Humans, by manipulating and controlling the circle largely remove themselves from it.

Omnipresent Loiterer

16,275 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Megathread 100
  • Mark Twain 100
AliKat1988
Jolie Maidele
tfwbtr
I don't eat vegetables. heart
Just curious, but why fruits and not vegetables? What is the significant difference of them to you that you've decided you shouldn't eat vegetables?
I am not sure why all vegetables but I know the reason Jains refuse to eat root plants is because it involves there being violence done to the plant that almost or actually kills it whereas with fruit you pick stuff off the vine and the plant lives on. If she could explain why not corn I would like to hear it as I do not know what the reason would be for regarding it more violent than fruit.

Oh.

So they're like a Super-Hippie?

Also, in regards to the "why don't we eat raw meat" question: Sushi.
dolly milk
tfwbtr
I love nature. I always have. I also love animals, children, and caring people. I seek to be as peaceful as I can and respect all life. If you eat meat, why do you do it? I'm not here to have an argument, I'm here to have an intelligent discussion about food.

Because it tastes good. Humans are willing to give up anything, including the life of an innocent, sentient being, just so that they can have a good taste in their mouths. rolleyes

AsuraSyn

But seriously, I eat meat because homo sapiens are supposed to eat meat. It's why it's tasty.

Oh really now? Tell me the last time you ventured out into the wild, tackled and pounced a live animal, and used your razor sharp teeth and claws to kill it and eat its' raw flesh? I'll bet never. Why? Because you don't have those features. Those are the features of a carnivore or an omnivore. Not a human. Just because something is "tasty" doesn't mean you should be eating it. Would you be saying the same thing if somebody found a way to put artificial flavoring of your favorite food in a vile of poison?

the taste of meat, however, is not artificially induced, nor poison.

humans are not designed to kill bare handed, no, but we're gifted with tool use to accomplish our ends.

see those canine teeth in your mouth? that's for eating meat, brotodile.

But, to answer your question, i have gone out into the woods and killed something and eaten it, but i used my gun, because tool use.

edit: food animals are not sentient.

The INSTANT one decides to have a conversation with me, i will change my mind.

Shy Fairy

Tadpole Jackson
dolly milk
tfwbtr
I love nature. I always have. I also love animals, children, and caring people. I seek to be as peaceful as I can and respect all life. If you eat meat, why do you do it? I'm not here to have an argument, I'm here to have an intelligent discussion about food.

Because it tastes good. Humans are willing to give up anything, including the life of an innocent, sentient being, just so that they can have a good taste in their mouths. rolleyes

AsuraSyn

But seriously, I eat meat because homo sapiens are supposed to eat meat. It's why it's tasty.

Oh really now? Tell me the last time you ventured out into the wild, tackled and pounced a live animal, and used your razor sharp teeth and claws to kill it and eat its' raw flesh? I'll bet never. Why? Because you don't have those features. Those are the features of a carnivore or an omnivore. Not a human. Just because something is "tasty" doesn't mean you should be eating it. Would you be saying the same thing if somebody found a way to put artificial flavoring of your favorite food in a vile of poison?

humans are not designed to kill bare handed, no, but we're gifted with tool use to accomplish our ends.

But, to answer your question, i have gone out into the woods and killed something and eaten it, but i used my gun, because tool use.

emotion_facepalm Did you not even read the ******** post? That person said that we're supposed to be eating it solely because it tastes good. Just because something tastes good does not mean you should be eating it. It was a logical fallacy that didn't make any sense.

We don't use our canines to eat meat, we use our molars. You chew with the back of your mouth, not the front.

.. And yes they are. Do you even know what the word sentient means? It means that they are capable of perceiving feelings, both emotionally and physically. They are conscious of their surroundings. Just because something doesn't speak English doesn't mean it's not sentient. If you go and stab a cow in the side, it's probably going to wail. Because it is in pain. Because it can feel things. That is what sentience is. Just because you eat it doesn't make it any less sentient. You just choose to ignore and not to care about said sentience because you are selfish.

Learn your ******** definitions.

Fanatical Zealot

Tadpole Jackson
dolly milk
tfwbtr

AsuraSyn

I talk to my cat all the time. xp

Maybe you just aren't listening hard enough.

Sentience is actually not just for human beings.

Considering a Japanese person non sentient because they don't know YOUR language is kind of silly, which, if that's the basis for your reasoning, would include them.

Ergo, it makes no sense.

Obviously, just because they're not having conversations with you doesn't mean they're not sentient. xp

Nor does it justify their death.

The whole point is it's necessary, not that it's an absolutely good thing; plus there are plenty of sentient creatures that are okay to kill so, that's a horrible argument even so.
Quote:
Just because something tastes good does not mean you should be eating it. It was a logical fallacy that didn't make any sense.

A very delicious logical fallacy.

Shy Fairy

Suicidesoldier#1
Tadpole Jackson
dolly milk
tfwbtr

AsuraSyn

I talk to my cat all the time. xp

Maybe you just aren't listening hard enough.

Sentience is actually not here for human beings.

Considering a Japanese person non sentient because they don't know YOUR language is kind of silly, which, if that's the basis for your reasoning, would include them.

Ergo, it makes no sense.

He's saying that animals that we see as food are not sentient. As in dogs, cats, hamsters, etc, are all sentient just because we keep them as pets. stare

Explain the people in Asia who ******** eat those pets then.

Mewling Consumer

16,100 Points
  • Alchemy Level 3 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Hive Mind 200
Silvia Crow
AliKat1988
Jolie Maidele
tfwbtr
I don't eat vegetables. heart
Just curious, but why fruits and not vegetables? What is the significant difference of them to you that you've decided you shouldn't eat vegetables?
I am not sure why all vegetables but I know the reason Jains refuse to eat root plants is because it involves there being violence done to the plant that almost or actually kills it whereas with fruit you pick stuff off the vine and the plant lives on. If she could explain why not corn I would like to hear it as I do not know what the reason would be for regarding it more violent than fruit.

Oh.

So they're like a Super-Hippie?

Also, in regards to the "why don't we eat raw meat" question: Sushi.
Yes Jainism is the ultimate pacifist religion so they are well described as super-hippies. Some of them are so strongly in favor of not harming any life that they will wear surgical masks to protect microorganisms from entering their body and finding death that way. Nonviolence is the core of Jainism as they believe violence disrupts the general wellbeing/harmony of the community and harms the soul of the perpetrator.

I agree about the sushi thing and I think we eat a lot more raw meat than just that. There is a lot of uncooked pig meat out there and not all uncooked fish is sushi

Big Member

9,800 Points
  • Tipsy 100
  • Mega Tipsy 100
  • Super Tipsy 200
I evolved to be an omnivore. I will not live long enough to evolve that away.
All I've got to say in regards to the "circle of life" crap that's been going on is this: nature also says that the strongest survive and that I am stronger than worms. So ******** you, worms. That food is mine.
dolly milk
Tadpole Jackson
dolly milk
tfwbtr

AsuraSyn

emotion_facepalm Did you not even read the ******** post? That person said that we're supposed to be eating it solely because it tastes good. Just because something tastes good does not mean you should be eating it. It was a logical fallacy that didn't make any sense.

We don't use our canines to eat meat, we use our molars. You chew with the back of your mouth, not the front.

.. And yes they are. Do you even know what the word sentient means? It means that they are capable of perceiving feelings, both emotionally and physically. They are conscious of their surroundings. Just because something doesn't speak English doesn't mean it's not sentient. If you go and stab a cow in the side, it's probably going to wail. Because it is in pain. Because it can feel things. That is what sentience is. Just because you eat it doesn't make it any less sentient. You just choose to ignore and not to care about said sentience because you are selfish.

Learn your ******** definitions.

in that case, plants can feel pain too you know.

canines are for ripping the meat, biting chunks of it off. You'll notice that strict herbivores don't have those.

Enjoying the taste of food is our body's way of giving feedback on what we should put in it, positive reinforcement.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff