Welcome to Gaia! ::

I'm vegan and I feel great.

It's not inherently wrong to eat meat and I have no problem with those that do but western society tends to over consume meat and animal products which has a detrimental effect on human health.

I'm more upset with processed food consumption. What the ********, no one needs that s**t.

Shy Fairy

Melody Niwa
I think we should all just eat how we want to eat and stop harassing others about their food choices. It is literally none of your business what other people eat, as it does no harm to you whatsoever.

As for me, I'm an omnivore, all the way. I've tried to go vegetarian on several occasions, but even while eating protein-rich alternatives and taking supplements, I just didn't feel as energetic or healthy as I do when I eat meat. I dunno, maybe it's an imbalance in my body or something like that.

Also, I just adore the taste of chicken heart I'd be willing to drop red meat and pork from my diet any day, but you can't separate me from poultry sweatdrop

But do you want to know who it does harm? The animals. The animals that are locked up in dirty, disgusting, crowded cages, living in fear every day, getting kicked, tortured, burned, stabbed, raped, violated, forcibly impregnated, skinned alive. So with your logic, we should just ignore somebody who's beating the s**t out of a child out on the street just because it doesn't specifically affect our lives in any way? We should ignore when a rape victim is screaming for help because it's "none of our business"? We should allow other people to be harmed just because WE aren't the ones being harmed? Only worry about ourselves, ******** everyone else, right. And don't say it's different just because it's a human. We are all animals. We are all conscious and we all feel the same way, be it a cow, a pig, a chicken, a dog, a cat, or a human. Species is no exception when it comes to the suffering of others.

Shirtless Roisterer

dolly milk
AsuraSyn
dolly milk
tfwbtr
I love nature. I always have. I also love animals, children, and caring people. I seek to be as peaceful as I can and respect all life. If you eat meat, why do you do it? I'm not here to have an argument, I'm here to have an intelligent discussion about food.

Because it tastes good. Humans are willing to give up anything, including the life of an innocent, sentient being, just so that they can have a good taste in their mouths. rolleyes

AsuraSyn

But seriously, I eat meat because homo sapiens are supposed to eat meat. It's why it's tasty.

Oh really now? Tell me the last time you ventured out into the wild, tackled and pounced a live animal, and used your razor sharp teeth and claws to kill it and eat its' raw flesh? I'll bet never. Why? Because you don't have those features. Those are the features of a carnivore or an omnivore. Not a human. Just because something is "tasty" doesn't mean you should be eating it. Would you be saying the same thing if somebody found a way to put artificial flavoring of your favorite food in a vile of poison?

Faulty logic, love.
Humans don't have protective fur coats, which is why we developed clothing.
Humans are omnivores, that doesn't mean we have to hunt down and claw out food to death. We survived by using tools and evolved accordingly.

Umm, yes it does. Considering somebody hadn't figured out how to make a weapon, we would all be dead right now. We are useless with bare hands and blunt molars. Just because somebody happened to be smart enough to make a weapon doesn't necessarily mean we were mean to be on carnivorous diets in the first place. True carnivorous animals have very different ways of hunting and surviving, as well as different physical anatomies from us. If we were truly meant to be eating meat, don't you think we would be almost nearly the same as them?

"The key category in the discussion of human diet is omnivores, which are defined as generalized feeders, with neither carnivore nor herbivore specializations for acquiring or processing food, and who are capable of consuming and do consume both animal protein and vegetation. They are basically *opportunistic* feeders (survive by eating what is available) with more generalized anatomical and physiological traits, especially the dentition (teeth). All the available evidence indicates that the natural human diet is omnivorous and would include meat. We are not, however, required to consume animal protein. We have a choice." -Humans are Omnivores, John McArdle, Ph.D.

Shy Fairy

DoodleBuns
dolly milk
AsuraSyn
dolly milk
tfwbtr
I love nature. I always have. I also love animals, children, and caring people. I seek to be as peaceful as I can and respect all life. If you eat meat, why do you do it? I'm not here to have an argument, I'm here to have an intelligent discussion about food.

Because it tastes good. Humans are willing to give up anything, including the life of an innocent, sentient being, just so that they can have a good taste in their mouths. rolleyes

AsuraSyn

But seriously, I eat meat because homo sapiens are supposed to eat meat. It's why it's tasty.

Oh really now? Tell me the last time you ventured out into the wild, tackled and pounced a live animal, and used your razor sharp teeth and claws to kill it and eat its' raw flesh? I'll bet never. Why? Because you don't have those features. Those are the features of a carnivore or an omnivore. Not a human. Just because something is "tasty" doesn't mean you should be eating it. Would you be saying the same thing if somebody found a way to put artificial flavoring of your favorite food in a vile of poison?

Faulty logic, love.
Humans don't have protective fur coats, which is why we developed clothing.
Humans are omnivores, that doesn't mean we have to hunt down and claw out food to death. We survived by using tools and evolved accordingly.

Umm, yes it does. Considering somebody hadn't figured out how to make a weapon, we would all be dead right now. We are useless with bare hands and blunt molars. Just because somebody happened to be smart enough to make a weapon doesn't necessarily mean we were mean to be on carnivorous diets in the first place. True carnivorous animals have very different ways of hunting and surviving, as well as different physical anatomies from us. If we were truly meant to be eating meat, don't you think we would be almost nearly the same as them?

"The key category in the discussion of human diet is omnivores, which are defined as generalized feeders, with neither carnivore nor herbivore specializations for acquiring or processing food, and who are capable of consuming and do consume both animal protein and vegetation. They are basically *opportunistic* feeders (survive by eating what is available) with more generalized anatomical and physiological traits, especially the dentition (teeth). All the available evidence indicates that the natural human diet is omnivorous and would include meat. We are not, however, required to consume animal protein. We have a choice." -Humans are Omnivores, John McArdle, Ph.D.

But just because you are capable of consuming something does mean you should be consuming it. I'm sure humans could eat feces as much as they wanted to, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's good for them.

And that's exactly my point, if you don't NEED to be eating, then don't. We should be trying to preserve life as much as possible, not killing everything we see in our path just because we "can". The circle of life is killing something because it is necessary for survival. You're trading a life for a life. But there's no reason to kill something when you don't absolutely need to kill it. It's that simple.

We always rant about humans being the only species who are capable of perceiving "morality".. but where is ours?

Shirtless Roisterer

dolly milk

But do you want to know who it does harm? The animals. The animals that are locked up in dirty, disgusting, crowded cages, living in fear every day, getting kicked, tortured, burned, stabbed, raped, violated, forcibly impregnated, skinned alive. So with your logic, we should just ignore somebody who's beating the s**t out of a child out on the street just because it doesn't specifically affect our lives in any way? We should ignore when a rape victim is screaming for help because it's "none of our business"? We should allow other people to be harmed just because WE aren't the ones being harmed? Only worry about ourselves, ******** everyone else, right. And don't say it's different just because it's a human. We are all animals. We are all conscious and we all feel the same way, be it a cow, a pig, a chicken, a dog, a cat, or a human. Species is no exception when it comes to the suffering of others.

Sweetheart, you not eating meat doesn't stop those things from happening to animals, and it never will. They don't miss your money, trust me. They will continue to operate at full capacity, and animals will continue to get tortured. Being a b***h to people who eat meat isn't going to fix it either.

Shy Fairy

DoodleBuns
dolly milk

Sweetheart, you not eating meat doesn't stop those things from happening to animals, and it never will. They don't miss your money, trust me. They will continue to operate at full capacity, and animals will continue to get tortured. Being a b***h to people who eat meat isn't going to fix it either.

Why, because they can't stand constantly being reminded that they are contributing to the suffering of innocent beings? So let's all just keep quiet about it so that people can continue living in their sheltered little worlds where nothing bad ever happens, candy, rainbows and sunshine, la di da. We aren't being the bitches here. Reality is. Ignorance is bliss for you people.

Shirtless Roisterer

dolly milk

Why, because they can't stand constantly being reminded that they are contributing to the suffering of innocent beings? So let's all just keep quiet about it so that people can continue living in their sheltered little worlds where nothing bad ever happens, candy, rainbows and sunshine, la di da. We aren't being the bitches here. Reality is. Ignorance is bliss for you people.

Did it ever occur to you that we're not ignorant and that the animals' suffering just doesn't bother us that much?

Fanatical Zealot

Je Nique vos Merdiers
Phallic Wonderland
And over-farming is equally as damaging. We do not do things by hand, and animals are still killed in the process of harvesting all sorts of produce.

Proof that eating meat is so damaging, please?

No it's not, because the way animals are raised today requires not only land for the meat, but also additional land for the feed. The animals are pumped full of antibiotics and increase the population of bacteria that are resistant. Plants sequester CO2 while animals produce methane, and are one of the largest sources of greenhouse gases on the planet. The manure produced by factory-farmed meat is largely unusable as fertilizer and contains antibiotics and possibly heavy metals.

Finally, I can grow enough food in a suburban lawn to satisfy my plant-based diet almost year round. The majority of the population in the Western world does not live anywhere that allows livestock animals in any number.

Suicidesoldier#1
Wut... genes aren't changing with our level of technology.

You realize that right?

Did you miss the part where I pointed out that genes exist to store information, as in to produce and store information about biological structures (which, on many different levels, determine behavior) and, through interaction with other genes and the environment, change over time? Which is what culture and scientific knowledge do? It's not that genes change because of culture and technology, which they do, because both of those have a component in the environment the genes interact with as well as sexual selection, but that culture and knowledge provide the same function as genes.

So... you do believe that genes are changing with our level of technology? O_o

"It's not that genes change because of technology, which they do" O_o

Shy Fairy

DoodleBuns
dolly milk

Did it ever occur to you that we're not ignorant and that the animals' suffering just doesn't bother us that much?

And I'd like to see how you'd react if the same thing was happening to a human, you speciesist piece of s**t.

Shirtless Roisterer

dolly milk

And I'd like to see how you'd react if the same thing was happening to a human, you speciesist piece of s**t.

I'd probably be a little bummed about it, yeah.

Shy Fairy

DoodleBuns
dolly milk

I'd probably be a little bummed about it, yeah.

You're either just really ******** sad and disgusting, or you're a troll.

Shirtless Roisterer

dolly milk

I'm honestly not a troll.
I just refuse to feel bad about eating something that, as an omnivore, is natural for me.
I also feel really bad for people that spend their time to berating others into thinking like them, living their lives the way they do, etc.

There is nothing you can do about animal torture, ever.
And the fact that you feel the need to dedicate your lifestyle to something you will never be able to change is justification alone, for me.

I don't care if you don't want to eat meat, just like you shouldn't care if I do.
But don't insult others for their lifestyle choices, and don't use flawed logic, like you were in your "humans aren't omnivores" argument.

This reminds me of arguing with overtly religious people.

Shy Fairy

DoodleBuns
dolly milk

I'm honestly not a troll.
I just refuse to feel bad about eating something that, as an omnivore, is natural for me.
I also feel really bad for people that spend their time to berating others into thinking like them, living their lives the way they do, etc.

There is nothing you can do about animal torture, ever.
And the fact that you feel the need to dedicate your lifestyle to something you will never be able to change is justification alone, for me.

I don't care if you don't want to eat meat, just like you shouldn't care if I do.
But don't insult others for their lifestyle choices, and don't use flawed logic, like you were in your "humans aren't omnivores" argument.

This reminds me of arguing with overtly religious people.

It has nothing to do with simply eating it, it's the fact that you are condoning them to suffer solely so that you can eat it. You can kill and eat something without having to torture it while it was alive. You should feel bad about purposefully causing sentient beings to go through pain on your selfish behalf.

What about people who are imprisoned for committing human crimes? We are berating them by punishing them and isolating them from society, just to teach them not to act that way and be "civil" like "everyone else". But you don't oppose that, do you? Solely because it's a human? Yet again, speciesist piece of s**t.

What if somebody's lifestyle choice was collecting teenage girls and using them for sex trafficking so that they can make money off of prostituting them. That's just their lifestyle choice too, it's their job and that's how they make money, so we shouldn't insult them for that either, right? You seriously sound like such a ******** hypocrite right now, it's not even funny.

Eloquent Sophomore

8,975 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Signature Look 250
dolly milk
Exoth XIII
dolly milk
Exoth XIII
That's because you use the adjective "stronger." Being on top of the food chain just means we eat animals, without anything preying on us. Now, you could say you BEAT a professional body builder by tricking him into getting his arms tied...

But then it's just cheap and proves you to be a coward who is practically admitting that you are weaker than them.

Yes, it's cheap. I'm poor, I get it. Not all of us can be born with a silver spoon up our a**.

As for the body builder, that doesn't make me a coward, that makes me clever. A coward runs a way, a trickster levels the playing field.
This is all hypothetical, of course. As a martial artist, while I may not look as beefy, my body is a lot more suited to combat than that of a body builder. I could take him on in a fair fight, but then I'd be a 'coward' for fighting a guy who's a lot slower and less skilled than I am.
Quote:

Exoth XIII
Yeah, it is, it's just a different circle. Without our interference, the animals we've domesticated for food would die out.

Except for pigs. The pigs, unleashed, would rape the environment something fierce.

How so.

Well, chickens and cows would get killed off for being too slow to evade predators, and even if they survived predation, they wouldn't be able to compete with the wild animals. They're slow and inefficient, bred to be prey. They'd go extinct long before evolution could save them.

As for pigs, well, pigs are VERY naturally adaptable. They'd survive. They'd thrive. The wild boar was once introduced in Australia, and their ecosystem is still being ravaged by it.
Quote:
Quote:
And like I already stated before. Plant based diets are always healthier than meat based diets.

Exoth XIII
Bullshit.

You are supposed to eat more ruffage than animal products in your daily meals. That statement is irrelevant to whether or not humans are omnivores, but ruffage is better for you than meat is.

I think you don't know how nutrition works.
Roughage isn't digestible. It's fiber.
It's good to eat plenty of fiber, because it cleans your bowels.
It's also found in plants that are very nutritious, so those plants are good to eat for many reasons in addition to fiber.
Fiber, however, will not replace degraded muscle tissue. Protein will.
So if you work your muscles at all, protein will restore them, whereas roughage won't

Nutrition requires variety, everything you eat does something different. Let me put it this way;
if you only ate roughage, you'd die. Quickly.
If you only ate meat, you'd still die, but perhaps a bit slower.
You can be a vegetarian, but you still need to eat more than roughage. You probably get your protein from soy or wheat based products.

So what you're saying is that you would rather not be able to s**t, than to just be a little bit weak in the arms?

Um? Did you miss the part where I said I was shitting just fine?
Also, I was doing the meat diet to lose weight. I've lost the weight, so now I'm eating a balanced diet, which includes both fiber AND meat. (The best of both worlds.)
Quote:

Also, I'm curious as to what you have to say about dairy products. Don't those make you a hell of a lot more constipated than meat products?

They're supposed to be binding. I did eat cheeses on my diet, and they didn't seem to make me constipated at all. I think it depends on whose stomach we're talking about.
That said, every person has a dairy tolerance, depending on how much lactase is in their digestive system. If you exceed this tolerance, you WILL experience temporary lactose intolerance. (I developed a low-carb cheesecake recipe, which my sister requested for her birthday. We both had large slices, and I was sick to my stomach for a couple of hours afterward.)

Having looked it up, it seems tofu is just as binding as cheese is. Who'd've thought?

Shirtless Roisterer

dolly milk

It has nothing to do with simply eating it, it's the fact that you are condoning them to suffer solely so that you can eat it. You can kill and eat something without having to torture it while it was alive. You should feel bad about purposefully causing sentient beings to go through pain on your selfish behalf.

What about people who are imprisoned for committing human crimes? We are berating them by punishing them and isolating them from society, just to teach them not to act that way and be "civil" like "everyone else". But you don't oppose that, do you? Solely because it's a human? Yet again, speciesist piece of s**t.

What if somebody's lifestyle choice was collecting teenage girls and using them for sex trafficking so that they can make money off of prostituting them. That's just their lifestyle choice too, it's their job and that's how they make money, so we shouldn't insult them for that either, right? You seriously sound like such a ******** hypocrite right now, it's not even funny.

I sound like a hypocrite because I condone eating meat but not sex trafficking?
You sound like an irrational extremist.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces