Welcome to Gaia! ::

Shy Fairy

Saying you're on top of the food chain just because you have a gun is like saying you're stronger than a pro body building wrestler just because he has his hands tied behind is back. It doesn't ******** work. Because considering that wrestler didn't have his hands behind his back, you would be ********. Same thing goes for if you didn't have a gun. You would be ********. Humans are weak and defenseless creatures. Artificial weapons do not suddenly make you strong.

Eating living things is always a part of the circle of life, when it is NECESSARY for survival. Eating things when it is not necessary for survival does not fall under the definition of "circle of life". Quit saying that your reason for eating meat is that you like, NEED it or else you're gonna DIE, because you won't. People can survive perfectly fine without meat. You eat it because it tastes good. Not because you'll die without it. It's a fact, so please stop denying it.

And like I already stated before. Plant based diets are always healthier than meat based diets. Always. Imagine if you were on a diet that consisted only of meat and no ruffage. You would be ******** constipated.

Quotable Genius

5,850 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Signature Look 250
dolly milk
AsuraSyn
dolly milk
tfwbtr
I love nature. I always have. I also love animals, children, and caring people. I seek to be as peaceful as I can and respect all life. If you eat meat, why do you do it? I'm not here to have an argument, I'm here to have an intelligent discussion about food.

Because it tastes good. Humans are willing to give up anything, including the life of an innocent, sentient being, just so that they can have a good taste in their mouths. rolleyes

AsuraSyn

But seriously, I eat meat because homo sapiens are supposed to eat meat. It's why it's tasty.

Oh really now? Tell me the last time you ventured out into the wild, tackled and pounced a live animal, and used your razor sharp teeth and claws to kill it and eat its' raw flesh? I'll bet never. Why? Because you don't have those features. Those are the features of a carnivore or an omnivore. Not a human. Just because something is "tasty" doesn't mean you should be eating it. Would you be saying the same thing if somebody found a way to put artificial flavoring of your favorite food in a vile of poison?

Faulty logic, love.
Humans don't have protective fur coats, which is why we developed clothing.
Humans are omnivores, that doesn't mean we have to hunt down and claw out food to death. We survived by using tools and evolved accordingly.

Umm, yes it does. Considering somebody hadn't figured out how to make a weapon, we would all be dead right now. We are useless with bare hands and blunt molars. Just because somebody happened to be smart enough to make a weapon doesn't necessarily mean we were mean to be on carnivorous diets in the first place. True carnivorous animals have very different ways of hunting and surviving, as well as different physical anatomies from us. If we were truly meant to be eating meat, don't you think we would be almost nearly the same as them?

For one thing, we're not carnivores, we're omnivores. I'd expect our digestive tract to be most like other omnivores.
As for our anatomy, we have a somewhat unique evolutionary path, there are very few other bipeds out there. We can learn a lot about the diet of our ancient ancestors by studying chimps, who have similar anatomies. It seems to me that they probably got most of their protein, not from soy or wheat, but from insects.
Yeah, bugs. To a hunter-gatherer, bugs are worth their weight in gold. They're VERY high in protein, very nutritious.
They also likely scavenged from another predator's kills, when they found them. Mostly bugs, though.
That said, our ancestors learned to use tools long ago. We've evolved to digest animal meat fairly easily. What's more, some humans even evolved the ability to digest milk later in life, in response to the domestication of cows.

So yeah, our ideal diet is pretty much just what the doctors tell you it is. Meat is a part of that.

Quotable Genius

5,850 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Signature Look 250
dolly milk
Saying you're on top of the food chain just because you have a gun is like saying you're stronger than a pro body building wrestler just because he has his hands tied behind is back. It doesn't ******** work.

That's because you use the adjective "stronger." Being on top of the food chain just means we eat animals, without anything preying on us. Now, you could say you BEAT a professional body builder by tricking him into getting his arms tied...
Quote:
Because considering that wrestler didn't have his hands behind his back, you would be ********. Same thing goes for if you didn't have a gun. You would be ********]
I beg to differ. We've been on top of the food chain for a LONG damn time, much longer than guns.
Before guns, we used bows. Before bows, we used spears. Our advantage is not strength, nor speed, nor durability, or claws. We have intelligence, which gives us versatility. We can adapt to any situation much better than our prey.

Quote:

Eating things when it is not necessary for survival does not fall under the definition of "circle of life".

Yeah, it is, it's just a different circle. Without our interference, the animals we've domesticated for food would die out.

Except for pigs. The pigs, unleashed, would rape the environment something fierce.
Quote:
Quit saying that your reason for eating meat is that you like, NEED it or else you're gonna DIE, because you won't. People can survive perfectly fine without meat. You eat it because it tastes good. Not because you'll die without it. It's a fact, so please stop denying it.

Eh, it tastes good, and soy or wheat based proteins are pricy. Yeah, I wouldn't die if I gave up meat, but I may have occasional health problems, and I certainly wouldn't be able to pursue my interests in martial arts.

Quote:
And like I already stated before. Plant based diets are always healthier than meat based diets.

Bullshit.
Quote:
Always. Imagine if you were on a diet that consisted only of meat and no ruffage. You would be ******** constipated.

Actually, I did that for a while. It was a diet. And no, I wasn't. Fat cleans you out just as well as fiber does, the difference in your feces is merely that there isn't so much of it.

Shy Fairy

Exoth XIII
That's because you use the adjective "stronger." Being on top of the food chain just means we eat animals, without anything preying on us. Now, you could say you BEAT a professional body builder by tricking him into getting his arms tied...

But then it's just cheap and proves you to be a coward who is practically admitting that you are weaker than them.

Exoth XIII
Yeah, it is, it's just a different circle. Without our interference, the animals we've domesticated for food would die out.

Except for pigs. The pigs, unleashed, would rape the environment something fierce.

How so.

Quote:
And like I already stated before. Plant based diets are always healthier than meat based diets.

Exoth XIII
Bullshit.

You are supposed to eat more ruffage than animal products in your daily meals. That statement is irrelevant to whether or not humans are omnivores, but ruffage is better for you than meat is.

Quote:
Always. Imagine if you were on a diet that consisted only of meat and no ruffage. You would be ******** constipated.

Exoth XIII
Actually, I did that for a while. It was a diet. And no, I wasn't. Fat cleans you out just as well as fiber does, the difference in your feces is merely that there isn't so much of it.

Did you really, or are you just saying this so that you can make some sort of false point? Meat does have the potential to make somebody constipated. Ruffage, not so much.

Quotable Genius

5,850 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Signature Look 250
dolly milk
Exoth XIII

But then it's just cheap and proves you to be a coward who is practically admitting that you are weaker than them.

Yes, it's cheap. I'm poor, I get it. Not all of us can be born with a silver spoon up our a**.

As for the body builder, that doesn't make me a coward, that makes me clever. A coward runs a way, a trickster levels the playing field.
This is all hypothetical, of course. As a martial artist, while I may not look as beefy, my body is a lot more suited to combat than that of a body builder. I could take him on in a fair fight, but then I'd be a 'coward' for fighting a guy who's a lot slower and less skilled than I am.
Quote:

Exoth XIII

How so.

Well, chickens and cows would get killed off for being too slow to evade predators, and even if they survived predation, they wouldn't be able to compete with the wild animals. They're slow and inefficient, bred to be prey. They'd go extinct long before evolution could save them.

As for pigs, well, pigs are VERY naturally adaptable. They'd survive. They'd thrive. The wild boar was once introduced in Australia, and their ecosystem is still being ravaged by it.
Quote:
Quote:

Exoth XIII
Bullshit.

You are supposed to eat more ruffage than animal products in your daily meals. That statement is irrelevant to whether or not humans are omnivores, but ruffage is better for you than meat is.

I think you don't know how nutrition works.
Roughage isn't digestible. It's fiber.
It's good to eat plenty of fiber, because it cleans your bowels.
It's also found in plants that are very nutritious, so those plants are good to eat for many reasons in addition to fiber.
Fiber, however, will not replace degraded muscle tissue. Protein will.
So if you work your muscles at all, protein will restore them, whereas roughage won't

Nutrition requires variety, everything you eat does something different. Let me put it this way;
if you only ate roughage, you'd die. Quickly.
If you only ate meat, you'd still die, but perhaps a bit slower.
You can be a vegetarian, but you still need to eat more than roughage. You probably get your protein from soy or wheat based products.

Quote:
Quote:

Exoth XIII

Did you really, or are you just saying this so that you can make some sort of false point?

Lost 175 lbs. I'm not saying eating JUST meat is ideal, (in fact, the whole reason why I lost so much weight is because it doesn't give you the energy your body needs, thus fat burning,) but it won't make you constipated if you eat enough fat.

Now that I'm at my goal weight, I try to eat a diet I consider "ideal." I tend to go light on carbs later in the day, but I eat meat and vegetables throughout. My snacks tend to be low on carbs, high on fat, to make them as filling as possible. The result is a varied, and balanced diet.
Hypothetically, I could cut meat out of this, but protein would still be essential, to keep the diet balanced. This would require expensive vegetable based substitutes, which aren't an option.

Shy Fairy

Exoth XIII
dolly milk
Exoth XIII

Yes, it's cheap. I'm poor, I get it. Not all of us can be born with a silver spoon up our a**.

As for the body builder, that doesn't make me a coward, that makes me clever. A coward runs a way, a trickster levels the playing field.
This is all hypothetical, of course. As a martial artist, while I may not look as beefy, my body is a lot more suited to combat than that of a body builder. I could take him on in a fair fight, but then I'd be a 'coward' for fighting a guy who's a lot slower and less skilled than I am.
Quote:

Exoth XIII

How so.

Well, chickens and cows would get killed off for being too slow to evade predators, and even if they survived predation, they wouldn't be able to compete with the wild animals. They're slow and inefficient, bred to be prey. They'd go extinct long before evolution could save them.

As for pigs, well, pigs are VERY naturally adaptable. They'd survive. They'd thrive. The wild boar was once introduced in Australia, and their ecosystem is still being ravaged by it.
Quote:
Quote:

Exoth XIII
Bullshit.

I think you don't know how nutrition works.
Roughage isn't digestible. It's fiber.
It's good to eat plenty of fiber, because it cleans your bowels.
It's also found in plants that are very nutritious, so those plants are good to eat for many reasons in addition to fiber.
Fiber, however, will not replace degraded muscle tissue. Protein will.
So if you work your muscles at all, protein will restore them, whereas roughage won't

Nutrition requires variety, everything you eat does something different. Let me put it this way;
if you only ate roughage, you'd die. Quickly.
If you only ate meat, you'd still die, but perhaps a bit slower.
You can be a vegetarian, but you still need to eat more than roughage. You probably get your protein from soy or wheat based products.

So what you're saying is that you would rather not be able to s**t, than to just be a little bit weak in the arms?

Also, I'm curious as to what you have to say about dairy products. Don't those make you a hell of a lot more constipated than meat products?

Savage Fairy

12,700 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Super Tipsy 200
As a vegetarian, some of what people are saying is utter bullshit :/ We're omnivores, and any decision not to eat meat is done so only because we're human. As human's we have an ability to feel empathy, and to reason beyond our instincts. Leading some of us, for empathetic or environmental reason, to choose not to eat meat, or animal products. What we're "meant" to do, is mostly irrelevant.

Distinct Browser

10,150 Points
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Forum Regular 100
Je Nique vos Merdiers
Phallic Wonderland
You are always so full of it, aren't you... Listen, if we were meant to consume ONLY veggies, fruits and grasses, our digestive system would be drastically different and our brains a LOT smaller. Our brains were able to increase in size BECAUSE we started eating meat. If we were meant to evolve into vegetarians, our stomachs and intestines would have dramatically different bacteria.

We have incisors for a reason, as well. we were given omnivorous teeth because we need both plants -and- animals as food. You could always argue "we don't need it NOW whine whine" but I will let you keep your bullshit while I indulge at the Olive Garden today.

If humans were meant to go into space they wouldn't have digestive tracts that depend on gravitational forces, or bones that lose density over time, or skin that can't resist cosmic rays and extreme temperatures. I'm no tardigrade.

Behold: Technology! Maybe once we manage to go all Deep Space Nine our bodies will adapt to be more resilient. Or our technology will be good enough where it won't be necessary.

Technology is what gave us the ability to kill larger things effectively, why not use it to travel space more effectively?

Shy Fairy

Distinct Browser

10,150 Points
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Forum Regular 100
dolly milk
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Those are some flat-a** teeth. I have very sharp canines, perfect for tearing through meat. Not everyone grinds their teeth.

EDIT: That looks 'shopped, come to think of it.

Shy Fairy

Phallic Wonderland
dolly milk

Those are some flat-a** teeth. I have very sharp canines, perfect for tearing through meat. Not everyone grinds their teeth.

I'll admit that I have pretty sharp canines, but I have never used to them to tear meat, or anything else for that matter. I use my molars for pretty much everything.

I don't know where you guys are getting this s**t from.

HMS Thunder Child
Mika Talanis
tfwbtr
Fermionic
tfwbtr
Fermionic

I don't think you understand.
What is there to not understand?

Fruitarians only eat fruit. Vegetables aren't fruit. If you eat vegetables, your aren't a fruitarian.
I don't eat vegetables. heart

Then why does your title say you are a vegetarian? That's a bit confusing.
[Informative]

Vegetarianism generally only implies the refusal to consume meat.

Considering the fact I am a Vegan,I am aware of that. I assume you didn't read what the OP said? She stated she does not eat vegetables, only fruits, hence why she said she is a fruitarian... however she also says in the title she is a vegetarian.

Distinct Browser

10,150 Points
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Forum Regular 100
dolly milk
Phallic Wonderland
dolly milk

I'll admit that I have pretty sharp canines, but I have never used to them to tear meat, or anything else for that matter. I use my molars for pretty much everything.

I don't know where you guys are getting this s**t from.

A lion is strictly carnivore, that is why they have such big teeth. We adapted to consume a variety of foodstuffs, that is why we have a variety of teeth.
tfwbtr
Mika Talanis
tfwbtr
Fermionic
tfwbtr
Fermionic

I don't think you understand.
What is there to not understand?

Fruitarians only eat fruit. Vegetables aren't fruit. If you eat vegetables, your aren't a fruitarian.
I don't eat vegetables. heart

Then why does your title say you are a vegetarian? That's a bit confusing.
Jain vegetarians don't consume animal products.

You stated you do not eat vegetables. If you do not eat vegetables at all then you are not a vegetarian of any kind. I am Vegan, I am aware of what the various types of vegetarians do and don't eat.

Fanatical Zealot

Look, birds have no teeth.

How then do they eat prey?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get Items
Get Gaia Cash
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces