Welcome to Gaia! ::

AllSevenDeadlySins
Chocolate Eevee
There's also the fact, that once you gain fat, those fat cells will never go away, no matter how much one exercises. They will shrink and become less obvious as one loses weight, but they will always be there. If someone is obese, the goal to lose weight much be an entire lifestyle shift, and that's quite hard. Motivation is a tricky little bugger, and pressuring someone to lose weight will usually make them more stubborn.

Um... what? Source please. Not trying to be all "reality is unrealistic" or whatever but this sounds like utter bullshit. Where do I go to find out about this? I've always been shitty at finding stuff out by websurfing. Please direct me to where you learned this so I can learn this thing that I never heard of before.

Well, I didn't learn it from the internet, I learned about it in college. But here are some sources if you want.

"One amazing fact is that fat cells generally do not generate after puberty -- as your body stores more fat, the number of fat cells remains the same. Each fat cell simply gets bigger! (There are two exceptions: the body might produce more fat cells if an adult gains a significant amount of weight or has liposuction performed.)" http://science.howstuffworks.com/environmental/life/human-biology/fat-cell.htm

The first paragraph here:
http://www.webmd.com/healthy-beauty/guide/cosmetic-procedure-liposuction

And lastly this article:
http://www.functional-fitness-facts.com/what-are-fat-cells.html

Seeker

Chocolate Eevee
AllSevenDeadlySins
Chocolate Eevee
There's also the fact, that once you gain fat, those fat cells will never go away, no matter how much one exercises. They will shrink and become less obvious as one loses weight, but they will always be there. If someone is obese, the goal to lose weight much be an entire lifestyle shift, and that's quite hard. Motivation is a tricky little bugger, and pressuring someone to lose weight will usually make them more stubborn.

Um... what? Source please. Not trying to be all "reality is unrealistic" or whatever but this sounds like utter bullshit. Where do I go to find out about this? I've always been shitty at finding stuff out by websurfing. Please direct me to where you learned this so I can learn this thing that I never heard of before.

Well, I didn't learn it from the internet, I learned about it in college. But here are some sources if you want.

"One amazing fact is that fat cells generally do not generate after puberty -- as your body stores more fat, the number of fat cells remains the same. Each fat cell simply gets bigger! (There are two exceptions: the body might produce more fat cells if an adult gains a significant amount of weight or has liposuction performed.)" http://science.howstuffworks.com/environmental/life/human-biology/fat-cell.htm

And lastly this article:

After reading (skimming slowly honestly) I would like to say thank you for telling me, I just didn't know.
AllSevenDeadlySins
Chocolate Eevee
AllSevenDeadlySins
Chocolate Eevee

And lastly this article:

After reading (skimming slowly honestly) I would like to say thank you for telling me, I just didn't know.

You're quite welcome! I didn't know it before this year either, it really helped me to understand why my dad is as large as he his.
Ryu Kei Shou Kawazu
Grind_It
Ryu Kei Shou Kawazu
Grind_It
I have a friend who actually managed to drop over 180 pounds through diet & exercise alone. She was on the upwards of 300 pounds at 5'5" so the weight loss was extraordinarily significant. She accomplished this through cutting out all sugary sweets, soda, cakes, etc, and increasing the amount of fiber, vegetables, lean proteins, etc that she was consuming. She also began exercising -- which is daunting when you realize that to start she was lugging around 300 pounds of dead weight.

Looking at her now you wouldn't even be able to tell that at one point she weighed as much as she did. It took a lot of effort & energy on her part to get to the point that she is at now and it's still an everyday matter of willpower over temptation; the urge to eat junk, slack off in exercising, and just veg out never goes away entirely.

I have sympathy for people who find themselves in her situation; people who are making an honest effort to lose the weight and change their lifestyle habits. I also feel sympathy for people who have legitimate medical conditions (think thyroid) and therefore have a hard time with their weight.

That being said, I do not have sympathy for people who gorge themselves senseless on junk food, refuse to exercise or take general care of their body, and just expect that the weight will magic itself off because they are too lazy & narrow minded to change their lifestyle habits.
my mom has a thyroid condition and is diabetic, but she got both of those problems herself. The thyroid was because she took flouride capsules, and the diabetes, well thats obvious. And she still eats more crap than I do and when my sugar was minimally elevated at the doctors she started getting on my a**, and im the htinnest person in the house XD so annoying.

Luckily none of those problems run within my family. My mom has no thyroid issues or pancreatic issues, nor does my father. My own health is rather good also. I eat minimal junk food and I keep in pretty good shape. I'm well under the weight of what would be excess for my frame -- and most importantly -- I'm comfortable in my own skin.
It wasnt genetic, so your post is sort of unrelated to mine.

It was just a train of thought. I take generally good care of myself so I was considering myself lucky that I don't have anything genetic working against me to ******** it up.
AllSevenDeadlySins
Grind_It
I have a friend who actually managed to drop over 180 pounds through diet & exercise alone. She was on the upwards of 300 pounds at 5'5" so the weight loss was extraordinarily significant. She accomplished this through cutting out all sugary sweets, soda, cakes, etc, and increasing the amount of fiber, vegetables, lean proteins, etc that she was consuming. She also began exercising -- which is daunting when you realize that to start she was lugging around 300 pounds of dead weight.

Looking at her now you wouldn't even be able to tell that at one point she weighed as much as she did. It took a lot of effort & energy on her part to get to the point that she is at now and it's still an everyday matter of willpower over temptation; the urge to eat junk, slack off in exercising, and just veg out never goes away entirely.

I have sympathy for people who find themselves in her situation; people who are making an honest effort to lose the weight and change their lifestyle habits. I also feel sympathy for people who have legitimate medical conditions (think thyroid) and therefore have a hard time with their weight.

That being said, I do not have sympathy for people who gorge themselves senseless on junk food, refuse to exercise or take general care of their body, and just expect that the weight will magic itself off because they are too lazy & narrow minded to change their lifestyle habits.

HEY! I'll have you know that I'm diabetic, rarely if ever excercise, don't take general care of my body, stuff my face with at least double portions at every meal AND my weight magically never even went above 180! So what's your opinion on me?! HUH!?

Okay so I really have no idea why I'm trying to sound confrontational. I agree about people who's weight doesn't magically stay low and yet they b***h and moan and do nothing about it. No matter how many health conditions you have or how unfair life has been in general to you, even if you CAN'T do anything about it without killing yourself, whatever "it" is in this situation, you STILL don't have to CHOOSE to b***h and moan endlessly. One rant a month about how unfair life is I can deal with. More than one in a week and you can ******** off. But I'm easily annoyed and have never really felt the need for friends who can't take being told to ******** off when they're being whiney pussies.

Anyways, what was my point? Oh yeah, HEY EVERYONE? How do you feel about me being lazy diabetic an eating machine and still skinny? Just curious.

Personally I don't feel anything towards you at all, other than sympathy for the fact that you have such little regards to your health -- especially considering you have diabetes. I mean go ahead and eat all of the junk & sugar you want. Eventually it will catch up to you with some pretty awful side effects and you'll be going "Damn, I should have taken better care of myself."

Secondly, people are going to b***h and moan about EVERYTHING. Politics, religion, society, culture, weight, family, children, relationships. Inasmuch as you don't need to have sympathy you also don't need to listen.

Eloquent Elocutionist

I have little respect for people who complain about anything that they don't do anything about.

Seeker

Grind_It
AllSevenDeadlySins
Grind_It

HEY! I'll have you know that I'm diabetic, rarely if ever excercise, don't take general care of my body, stuff my face with at least double portions at every meal AND my weight magically never even went above 180! So what's your opinion on me?! HUH!?

Okay so I really have no idea why I'm trying to sound confrontational. I agree about people who's weight doesn't magically stay low and yet they b***h and moan and do nothing about it. No matter how many health conditions you have or how unfair life has been in general to you, even if you CAN'T do anything about it without killing yourself, whatever "it" is in this situation, you STILL don't have to CHOOSE to b***h and moan endlessly. One rant a month about how unfair life is I can deal with. More than one in a week and you can ******** off. But I'm easily annoyed and have never really felt the need for friends who can't take being told to ******** off when they're being whiney pussies.

Anyways, what was my point? Oh yeah, HEY EVERYONE? How do you feel about me being lazy diabetic an eating machine and still skinny? Just curious.

Personally I don't feel anything towards you at all, other than sympathy for the fact that you have such little regards to your health -- especially considering you have diabetes. I mean go ahead and eat all of the junk & sugar you want. Eventually it will catch up to you with some pretty awful side effects and you'll be going "Damn, I should have taken better care of myself."

Secondly, people are going to b***h and moan about EVERYTHING. Politics, religion, society, culture, weight, family, children, relationships. Inasmuch as you don't need to have sympathy you also don't need to listen.

I fancy myself a philosopher with a muddled and confusing worldview but suffice it to say, when I die, I will not regret the life I have lived, for I enjoyed every pain and every pleasure and had very little boredom and very few mediocrities.

Secondly, I know they are, which is why I tell them to ******** off when they b***h too much. If they're a true friend they quit it, at least till I'm out of ear shot. If they're a fake friend, they b***h some more and I scream at the top of my lungs then say "I don't care about your opinions anymore!" as soon as all is silent and then I run away as fast as I can, and I can run faster than everyone I know. If they are a stranger replace "I don't care..." etc. with "SHUT UP!" and then if they don't, I start a running.
AllSevenDeadlySins
Grind_It
AllSevenDeadlySins
Grind_It

I fancy myself a philosopher with a muddled and confusing worldview but suffice it to say, when I die, I will not regret the life I have lived, for I enjoyed every pain and every pleasure and had very little boredom and very few mediocrities.

Secondly, I know they are, which is why I tell them to ******** off when they b***h too much. If they're a true friend they quit it, at least till I'm out of ear shot. If they're a fake friend, they b***h some more and I scream at the top of my lungs then say "I don't care about your opinions anymore!" as soon as all is silent and then I run away as fast as I can, and I can run faster than everyone I know. If they are a stranger replace "I don't care..." etc. with "SHUT UP!" and then if they don't, I start a running.

I'm sure that you do enjoy the quality of your life now, but if you continue to neglect your body & health you will certainly not enjoy it later when you're suffering from the consequences of such neglect.

And to the rest of your point.... it's very immature in the grand scheme of things to invalidate what anyone else has to say with the juvenile response of "SHUT UP!"
Astoru
Eating less and working out =/= weight loss. In fact, working out doesn't really do all that much in the terms of losing weight.

Uh.

Well.

You know.

Reality disagrees vehemently.
I have a friend like that. I love her dearly, but she's almost always complaining about her weight (she's around 300), and never does anything about it. As far as the "it's not so simple" argument goes, I don't understand why people are always bringing that up; maybe because they're not satisfied with their own journey toward weightloss. I agree to an extent, I think everyone has a MEDIAN wight; a weight that their body is healthiest at. Sometimes that weight is a lot, and sometimes it's a little. But the "it's not so simple" argument DOESN'T apply to EVERY OBESE PERSON. Americans are being taught to ignorantly blame genes and thyroid problems for EVERY weight problem, in order to reduce exclusion and bullying of anyone overweight.

I would feel more sympathy for my friend if she had tried to obtain weightloss through different methods before discovering that she's unable to really lose the weight. She hasn't done that, she barely leaves the house, and eats mostly fast food. Last year, I was a vegetarian for 9 months; I lost 15 pounds in the first 3 months, and weightloss wasn't even my goal (I didn't lose any more than 15 throughout the nine months because I wasn't overweight to begin with), but I had to completely change my diet rather than simply cut out meat to avoid inadvertently becoming anorexic.

I don't have a problem with anyone who's overweight and learns to appreciate themselves if they're stuck that way, big really can be absolutely beautiful. It's the people who don't like themselves and who CAN change their situation, but choose not to. That's just laziness, and it's pitiful.
black_wing_angel
Tee the Wicked
How ignorant. Losing weight isn't so simple as not eating and working out; ordering a lot of food can have little effect on weight gain, as can working out. It all depends on the person's body, as well as other factors. And unless you spend every waking moment with your friend, you have no way of knowing whether or not your friend works out, or takes on other means of reducing her weight. User Image

Fail rant is fail, please leave. evil

As true as all of that is, there's still a massive difference between simply whining, and actually making some sort of an effort. Even a vain one.

I had a girlfriend for a while that had a weight problem, and wanted to break it. I encouraged her to go to the gym like I do, and I tried to support her, and all of that.

Went well for...I don't know...3 months. Then she stopped going. Why? It was too hard for her. She'd rather sit and play video games all day, and complain about her weight, than to actually make some sort of effort to fix it. Basically, she wanted all the results, none of the effort.

...I've never wanted to slap someone so hard, in all my life.

And no, that's not why we broke up.
I got a friend thats the EXACT same way smile
The Sky Does Not Bow
Astoru
Eating less and working out =/= weight loss. In fact, working out doesn't really do all that much in the terms of losing weight.

Uh.

Well.

You know.

Working out causes the body to gain muscle mass, and primarily lose water weight. Gaining muscle mass can greatly increase how fast your weight drops, but it still won't drop at all if you only work out and still eat like a pig. On the other hand, it's possible to lose weight by training your metabolism, and drastically changing eating habits, without the need to work out. So.. Reality actually does agree.
Techno Wielder
The Sky Does Not Bow
Astoru

Uh.

Well.

You know.

Working out causes the body to gain muscle mass, and primarily lose water weight. Gaining muscle mass can greatly increase how fast your weight drops, but it still won't drop at all if you only work out and still eat like a pig. On the other hand, it's possible to lose weight by training your metabolism, and drastically changing eating habits, without the need to work out. So.. Reality actually does agree.

Cardio, uhm, burns fat. Cardio is a part of working out. In fact, doing a lot of cardio will burn your fat away.

Incidentally, consuming complex carbohydrates before working out also makes your body burn through calories faster.
The Sky Does Not Bow
Techno Wielder
The Sky Does Not Bow
Astoru

Uh.

Well.

You know.

Cardio, uhm, burns fat. Cardio is a part of working out. In fact, doing a lot of cardio will burn your fat away.

Incidentally, consuming complex carbohydrates before working out also makes your body burn through calories faster.

UM, Cardio doesn't "burn fat," cardio burns through the energy that the body has available, which, UM, may or may not reach an ample amount of fat cells. Doing cardio inevitably builds muscle mass, which I, UM, covered up there. The amount of energy that the body burns with cardio MUST exceed the amount of energy consumed in order for fat cells to even be burnt. Therefore, if you create a weightloss goal and start doing cardio, but decide you still want to eat cotton candy and hamburgers for lunch because you think doing cardio is enough... You're not going to lose weight. You just won't. But if you completely cut cotton candy and hamburgers out of your diet, your metabolism will consume the energy that would have otherwise been replaced by those foods, inevitably causing some weight loss, without the need for cardio.

.. Um.
black_wing_angel
Tee the Wicked
How ignorant. Losing weight isn't so simple as not eating and working out; ordering a lot of food can have little effect on weight gain, as can working out. It all depends on the person's body, as well as other factors. And unless you spend every waking moment with your friend, you have no way of knowing whether or not your friend works out, or takes on other means of reducing her weight. User Image

Fail rant is fail, please leave. evil

As true as all of that is, there's still a massive difference between simply whining, and actually making some sort of an effort. Even a vain one.

I had a girlfriend for a while that had a weight problem, and wanted to break it. I encouraged her to go to the gym like I do, and I tried to support her, and all of that.

Went well for...I don't know...3 months. Then she stopped going. Why? It was too hard for her. She'd rather sit and play video games all day, and complain about her weight, than to actually make some sort of effort to fix it. Basically, she wanted all the results, none of the effort.

...I've never wanted to slap someone so hard, in all my life.

And no, that's not why we broke up.

You have to admit, though, if you make yourself miserable for MONTHS and see no results, it's incredibly discouraging. Especially if people still look at you and judge you the same because you haven't lost any weight.

I stopped going to the gym after two and a half months of effort. I figure, I should at least be dropping a pound a week, right? At the very least. If I monitor my caloric intake and go to the gym, and I'm not counteracting exercise with "Oh I went to the gym so I can reward myself with biggie-size fries!" then I should have seen some change right? And at the absolute least, if I WAS replacing a little fat mass with a little more muscle mass, the exercise should have been getting easier--I should have been able to increase reps or go up a few pounds or stay on the bike longer. But...nothing changed, at all.

I don't want to put in all the effort and get none of the results. But that's just me. Maybe your ex was just lazy.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff