Welcome to Gaia! ::

I AM R U's Spouse

Blessed Rogue

10,775 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Mega Tipsy 100
DiabeticSuicide
As a diabetic.. Working out is incredibly hard..
I am doing p90x.. but it's a constant struggle..
If my sugar drops too much.. I have to take a break, lose my exercising buzz.. and drink some ******** juice. there went all those calories I burned off. burning_eyes

You would've had to put in those calories, either way. At least by exercising, you burned some off. Making room for the fresh ones. As opposed to letting them pile up.

Eternal Sex Symbol

44,250 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Battle Hardened 150
There are people with health issues that make it hard for them to lose weight, but really, the big cause of being overweight, in the end, is lifestyle and diet. I have more sympathy for people who actually try, whether or not they're succeeding. But if a person makes no effort to exercise or change their diet, or even just limiting their portions, (you don't always have to give up junk food altogether, sometimes just limiting how much you're eating can help) then I really don't feel sorry for them. At least if a person tries and doesn't get anywhere, well, they can use the "it's my biology/health" excuse.
some people cant loose weight no matter how much they excersise or eat healthy, so i think some people have the right to complain. but yeah if they are eating a ton of bad food then yeah its kinda dumb to complain about something when they are the sole cause of it.

"omg i hate how fat i am" *stuffs 3 twinkies into mouth* "i just dont understand how i cant be skinny*

Shameless Giver

10,800 Points
  • Clambake 200
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Prayer Circle 200
Venus DaVinci
Weight but dont do anything lose it. I have this friend who complains about her weight, shes overweight and complains alot about her weight. but every time we go out she orders alot of food and she never worksout. It really bugs me, i could understand if she was actually trying to lose the weight but she doesnt do anything about it! ugh. Gets on my nerves.

I have a friend like that. Not only does she complain about her weight all of the time, but she also complains about how she's never going to have a boyfriend because she is "so fat". Though, I think her loud, obnoxious personality is the main reason she hasn't had a boyfriend. She's one of those that thinks if she has a huge personality, that it will overshadow how fat she is, and people won't notice it as much.

She doesn't exercise, but her weight has less to do with that, and more to due with the fried, greasy, buttery things that she eats.
Sometimes it just takes some time to work up the courage and self esteem to to it. I'm on the chunky side and I wanna start working out but I'm ashamed of things wiggling around while im trying to exercise XD haha. Silly but it is a real thought.

I AM R U's Spouse

Blessed Rogue

10,775 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Mega Tipsy 100
Firebird v2
Just so everyone knows: after the age of 45, the chances of losing weight become pretty much zero.

Not true at all. You just have to go about it in the correct ways.

Greedy Consumer

Grind_It
I have a friend who actually managed to drop over 180 pounds through diet & exercise alone. She was on the upwards of 300 pounds at 5'5" so the weight loss was extraordinarily significant. She accomplished this through cutting out all sugary sweets, soda, cakes, etc, and increasing the amount of fiber, vegetables, lean proteins, etc that she was consuming. She also began exercising -- which is daunting when you realize that to start she was lugging around 300 pounds of dead weight.

Looking at her now you wouldn't even be able to tell that at one point she weighed as much as she did. It took a lot of effort & energy on her part to get to the point that she is at now and it's still an everyday matter of willpower over temptation; the urge to eat junk, slack off in exercising, and just veg out never goes away entirely.

I have sympathy for people who find themselves in her situation; people who are making an honest effort to lose the weight and change their lifestyle habits. I also feel sympathy for people who have legitimate medical conditions (think thyroid) and therefore have a hard time with their weight.

That being said, I do not have sympathy for people who gorge themselves senseless on junk food, refuse to exercise or take general care of their body, and just expect that the weight will magic itself off because they are too lazy & narrow minded to change their lifestyle habits.
my mom has a thyroid condition and is diabetic, but she got both of those problems herself. The thyroid was because she took flouride capsules, and the diabetes, well thats obvious. And she still eats more crap than I do and when my sugar was minimally elevated at the doctors she started getting on my a**, and im the htinnest person in the house XD so annoying.
Venus DaVinci
Weight but dont do anything lose it. I have this friend who complains about her weight, shes overweight and complains alot about her weight. but every time we go out she orders alot of food and she never worksout. It really bugs me, i could understand if she was actually trying to lose the weight but she doesnt do anything about it! ugh. Gets on my nerves.

Have you told her how annoyed/disgusted she makes you? I feel like that will clear things up real fast.

a)She'll stop being your friend and you wont have to listen to her bitchin'

b)She'll get on her game lose a few pounds and stop bitchin'
Ryu Kei Shou Kawazu
Grind_It
I have a friend who actually managed to drop over 180 pounds through diet & exercise alone. She was on the upwards of 300 pounds at 5'5" so the weight loss was extraordinarily significant. She accomplished this through cutting out all sugary sweets, soda, cakes, etc, and increasing the amount of fiber, vegetables, lean proteins, etc that she was consuming. She also began exercising -- which is daunting when you realize that to start she was lugging around 300 pounds of dead weight.

Looking at her now you wouldn't even be able to tell that at one point she weighed as much as she did. It took a lot of effort & energy on her part to get to the point that she is at now and it's still an everyday matter of willpower over temptation; the urge to eat junk, slack off in exercising, and just veg out never goes away entirely.

I have sympathy for people who find themselves in her situation; people who are making an honest effort to lose the weight and change their lifestyle habits. I also feel sympathy for people who have legitimate medical conditions (think thyroid) and therefore have a hard time with their weight.

That being said, I do not have sympathy for people who gorge themselves senseless on junk food, refuse to exercise or take general care of their body, and just expect that the weight will magic itself off because they are too lazy & narrow minded to change their lifestyle habits.
my mom has a thyroid condition and is diabetic, but she got both of those problems herself. The thyroid was because she took flouride capsules, and the diabetes, well thats obvious. And she still eats more crap than I do and when my sugar was minimally elevated at the doctors she started getting on my a**, and im the htinnest person in the house XD so annoying.

Luckily none of those problems run within my family. My mom has no thyroid issues or pancreatic issues, nor does my father. My own health is rather good also. I eat minimal junk food and I keep in pretty good shape. I'm well under the weight of what would be excess for my frame -- and most importantly -- I'm comfortable in my own skin.

Greedy Consumer

Grind_It
Ryu Kei Shou Kawazu
Grind_It

Luckily none of those problems run within my family. My mom has no thyroid issues or pancreatic issues, nor does my father. My own health is rather good also. I eat minimal junk food and I keep in pretty good shape. I'm well under the weight of what would be excess for my frame -- and most importantly -- I'm comfortable in my own skin.
It wasnt genetic, so your post is sort of unrelated to mine.
There's also the fact, that once you gain fat, those fat cells will never go away, no matter how much one exercises. They will shrink and become less obvious as one loses weight, but they will always be there. If someone is obese, the goal to lose weight much be an entire lifestyle shift, and that's quite hard. Motivation is a tricky little bugger, and pressuring someone to lose weight will usually make them more stubborn.

Seeker

Grind_It

HEY! I'll have you know that I'm diabetic, rarely if ever excercise, don't take general care of my body, stuff my face with at least double portions at every meal AND my weight magically never even went above 180! So what's your opinion on me?! HUH!?

Okay so I really have no idea why I'm trying to sound confrontational. I agree about people who's weight doesn't magically stay low and yet they b***h and moan and do nothing about it. No matter how many health conditions you have or how unfair life has been in general to you, even if you CAN'T do anything about it without killing yourself, whatever "it" is in this situation, you STILL don't have to CHOOSE to b***h and moan endlessly. One rant a month about how unfair life is I can deal with. More than one in a week and you can ******** off. But I'm easily annoyed and have never really felt the need for friends who can't take being told to ******** off when they're being whiney pussies.

Anyways, what was my point? Oh yeah, HEY EVERYONE? How do you feel about me being lazy diabetic an eating machine and still skinny? Just curious.

Seeker

Chocolate Eevee
There's also the fact, that once you gain fat, those fat cells will never go away, no matter how much one exercises. They will shrink and become less obvious as one loses weight, but they will always be there. If someone is obese, the goal to lose weight much be an entire lifestyle shift, and that's quite hard. Motivation is a tricky little bugger, and pressuring someone to lose weight will usually make them more stubborn.

Um... what? Source please. Not trying to be all "reality is unrealistic" or whatever but this sounds like utter bullshit. Where do I go to find out about this? I've always been shitty at finding stuff out by websurfing. Please direct me to where you learned this so I can learn this thing that I never heard of before.

Faemint's Wife

Distinct Seeker

6,475 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Friendly 100
  • Generous 100
Astoru
Tee the Wicked
black_wing_angel

As true as all of that is, there's still a massive difference between simply whining, and actually making some sort of an effort. Even a vain one.

I had a girlfriend for a while that had a weight problem, and wanted to break it. I encouraged her to go to the gym like I do, and I tried to support her, and all of that.

Went well for...I don't know...3 months. Then she stopped going. Why? It was too hard for her. She'd rather sit and play video games all day, and complain about her weight, than to actually make some sort of effort to fix it. Basically, she wanted all the results, none of the effort.

...I've never wanted to slap someone so hard, in all my life.

And no, that's not why we broke up.

Yeah, I've known people like that. They are known as lazy people. However, OP hasn't really given much to go by other than assumptions based off assuming her friend never works out, and observing her friend order "alot of food" whenever they hang out, without specifying just how much "alot of food" is. For all we know, OP is another Anorexican and an eating more than one almond is "alot of food"
By that logic I should be morbidly obese. Aside from the occasional biking trips, I spend all my free time just lounging most days. And yet I'm 6"0 and 160 lb. On the same note, one of my biking friends goes 120 miles a week and he's still overweight.

Exercising with bad eating habits won't make you lose weight. You'll just add to it via muscle mass.

Something else people need to realize is that being overweight does not necessarily mean being unhealthy...

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff