Welcome to Gaia! ::

Genius

Weight but dont do anything lose it. I have this friend who complains about her weight, shes overweight and complains alot about her weight. but every time we go out she orders alot of food and she never worksout. It really bugs me, i could understand if she was actually trying to lose the weight but she doesnt do anything about it! ugh. Gets on my nerves.

Golden Fairy

10,350 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Forum Regular 100
How ignorant. Losing weight isn't so simple as not eating and working out; ordering a lot of food can have little effect on weight gain, as can working out. It all depends on the person's body, as well as other factors. Unless you spend every waking moment with your friend, you have no way of knowing whether or not your friend works out, or takes on other means of reducing her weight. And exactly how much is "alot of food"? User Image

Fail rant is fail, please leave. evil

Eloquent Lunatic

8,650 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Wall Street 200
Eating less and working out =/= weight loss. In fact, working out doesn't really do all that much in the terms of losing weight.

If you REALLY want to lose weight, you need to change your diet, AKA WHAT you're eating rather than HOW MUCH. Most overweight people aren't frustrated because they are unable to lose weight, they just don't know how.

Blessed Rogue

10,450 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Mega Tipsy 100
Tee the Wicked
How ignorant. Losing weight isn't so simple as not eating and working out; ordering a lot of food can have little effect on weight gain, as can working out. It all depends on the person's body, as well as other factors. And unless you spend every waking moment with your friend, you have no way of knowing whether or not your friend works out, or takes on other means of reducing her weight. User Image

Fail rant is fail, please leave. evil

As true as all of that is, there's still a massive difference between simply whining, and actually making some sort of an effort. Even a vain one.

I had a girlfriend for a while that had a weight problem, and wanted to break it. I encouraged her to go to the gym like I do, and I tried to support her, and all of that.

Went well for...I don't know...3 months. Then she stopped going. Why? It was too hard for her. She'd rather sit and play video games all day, and complain about her weight, than to actually make some sort of effort to fix it. Basically, she wanted all the results, none of the effort.

...I've never wanted to slap someone so hard, in all my life.

And no, that's not why we broke up.

Golden Fairy

10,350 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Forum Regular 100
black_wing_angel

As true as all of that is, there's still a massive difference between simply whining, and actually making some sort of an effort. Even a vain one.

I had a girlfriend for a while that had a weight problem, and wanted to break it. I encouraged her to go to the gym like I do, and I tried to support her, and all of that.

Went well for...I don't know...3 months. Then she stopped going. Why? It was too hard for her. She'd rather sit and play video games all day, and complain about her weight, than to actually make some sort of effort to fix it. Basically, she wanted all the results, none of the effort.

Yeah, I've known people like that. They are known as lazy people. However, OP hasn't really given much to go by other than assumptions based off assuming her friend never works out, and observing her friend order "alot of food" whenever they hang out, without specifying just how much "alot of food" is. For all we know, OP is another Anorexican and an eating more than one almond is "alot of food"

Eloquent Lunatic

8,650 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Wall Street 200
Tee the Wicked
black_wing_angel

Yeah, I've known people like that. They are known as lazy people. However, OP hasn't really given much to go by other than assumptions based off assuming her friend never works out, and observing her friend order "alot of food" whenever they hang out, without specifying just how much "alot of food" is. For all we know, OP is another Anorexican and an eating more than one almond is "alot of food"
By that logic I should be morbidly obese. Aside from the occasional biking trips, I spend all my free time just lounging most days. And yet I'm 6"0 and 160 lb. On the same note, one of my biking friends goes 120 miles a week and he's still overweight.

Exercising with bad eating habits won't make you lose weight. You'll just add to it via muscle mass.
There's a lot more to losing weight than eating less and exercising more.

For a start, maybe it'd be worth examining the underlying causes of binge eating and/or starving yourself, instead of just assuming that she's teh lazy fatty.

Blessed Rogue

10,450 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Mega Tipsy 100
Tee the Wicked
black_wing_angel

Fair point. I didn't look at it like that.

But as I was saying, there's nothing unreasonable in resenting lazy people, who complain, but do nothing.

Blessed Rogue

10,450 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Mega Tipsy 100
Astoru
Tee the Wicked
black_wing_angel

By that logic I should be morbidly obese. Aside from the occasional biking trips, I spend all my free time just lounging most days. And yet I'm 6"0 and 160 lb. On the same note, one of my biking friends goes 120 miles a week and he's still overweight.

Exercising with bad eating habits won't make you lose weight. You'll just add to it via muscle mass.

Really, it's not fair for people to say they want to lose "weight". "Weight" isn't the issue. "Mass" is what they're gunning for. And weight lifting is great for that. You won't lose weight, but what weight you will have, will be a good thing.
As a diabetic.. Working out is incredibly hard..
I am doing p90x.. but it's a constant struggle..
If my sugar drops too much.. I have to take a break, lose my exercising buzz.. and drink some ******** juice. there went all those calories I burned off. burning_eyes

Desirable Sex Symbol

7,150 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Flatterer 200
Astoru
Eating less and working out =/= weight loss. In fact, working out doesn't really do all that much in the terms of losing weight.

If you REALLY want to lose weight, you need to change your diet, AKA WHAT you're eating rather than HOW MUCH. Most overweight people aren't frustrated because they are unable to lose weight, they just don't know how.

Controlling your portions can contribute greatly to weight loss, even more so than changing one's diet.
Your friend has a mental block. She is unhappy but lacks the willpower to change her behavior. If she did strength training for about 6 months she'd be back to normal and stronger than ever plus at a state where the upkeep on the body isn't too strenuous.
I lost about 60 lbs my job required me to do a lot of paper routes I always had at least one a day. I have never been a big breakfast person and so I ate only lunch and dinner. A lot of times I only had a snack during the day and my dinner. I stopped drinking a lot of pop wasn't eating so much and was walking and I started to drop weight. I got motivated and started working out at night for an hour or more. I own a door gym chin up bar, weights and a rowing machine including other stuff. I just mixed it up and tried to lift weights 3 times a week. I was using my rowing machine every night. I went on vacation and got lazy and gained some weight back but I did it. I have been trying to watch my calories and drink things like green tea because I never cared for water much.

To lose weight you got to eat better and exercise and if you don't keep at it the weight will just come back. I sit on my a** to much my job helped a bit and I also do Kung Fu. Part of my issues come from my schedule and joint issues. Some people are able to lose easier than others there are some things like genetics that comes into play. A few of my friends seem to eat what they want and do nothing and they are thin as twigs.
I have a friend who actually managed to drop over 180 pounds through diet & exercise alone. She was on the upwards of 300 pounds at 5'5" so the weight loss was extraordinarily significant. She accomplished this through cutting out all sugary sweets, soda, cakes, etc, and increasing the amount of fiber, vegetables, lean proteins, etc that she was consuming. She also began exercising -- which is daunting when you realize that to start she was lugging around 300 pounds of dead weight.

Looking at her now you wouldn't even be able to tell that at one point she weighed as much as she did. It took a lot of effort & energy on her part to get to the point that she is at now and it's still an everyday matter of willpower over temptation; the urge to eat junk, slack off in exercising, and just veg out never goes away entirely.

I have sympathy for people who find themselves in her situation; people who are making an honest effort to lose the weight and change their lifestyle habits. I also feel sympathy for people who have legitimate medical conditions (think thyroid) and therefore have a hard time with their weight.

That being said, I do not have sympathy for people who gorge themselves senseless on junk food, refuse to exercise or take general care of their body, and just expect that the weight will magic itself off because they are too lazy & narrow minded to change their lifestyle habits.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff