Welcome to Gaia! ::

I've noticed an increase in violence and lack of respect in the past years. I'm sure many others have as well.

It seems to me that many people are disrespectful to others for no reason at all. A simple dispute is no longer delt with by a discussion.
It's delt with by a gunfight.

People in general have such high respect for themselves, that they are unwilling to apologize for a simple mistake, and instead feel it neccassary to argue to some stupid conclusion that is totally unnecassary.
All they have to do is show respect to the one who pointed out they were wrong, usually someone higher up then themselves, by saying I'm sorry.

Yet they refuse.
And they argue.
And they act like idiots over nothing more than showing a small amount of respect.

Not only that, but hate among peers has increased by a lot.
People sit here and complain constantly about the different people such as goth's, emo's, gangsters, and other such labels instead of trying to find some common ground in between.

Then as a result of the hate and disrespect, violence is brought on.

Someone steps on someone elses shoe and theres a fist thrown, then a full out war between peergroups.

I feel this next part is a great example to show for the violance statement, mainly because it hit something in me that really made me think.

During class, while I was busy doing anything but work, I found myself going through a textbook we had on the shelf.
It was an book filled with various works done by various people on differant subjects.

I was randomly picking some out and I ended up choosing one simply called "Thank You".

Now, I want to say here, that I can not recall the work very well, but I remember enough to use some it, and I will try and get a hold of it and update this when I do so, assuming it hasn't been run out of ED by then.

It was something along these lines:

A young man was attcked and beaten severly by a group of assailents during the night.
Had it not been for someone who saw the young man laying bloodied and beaten on the street, and called an ambulance, he would have died.
I thank that person.

The assailents steppend on his hands and broke his fingers.
The fingers he used to play his musical instruments.
The docters said there was no permenant damage, and that his fingers would heal.
For this, I thank you.

They booted his head and severed part of his ear.
The ears he used to listen to his music.
The doctors said his eardrum was fine, and his ear could be mended.
For this, I thank you.

They hit his face and knocked several teeth out of his mouth.
The mouth he used to tell his friends, when they were contemplating revenge, to forget it, because he didn't want anyone els's mother to feel the way his did when she found out what had happened.
The teeth he lost can be replaced, and he can use his mouth to play his music.
For this, I thank you.

Music was this boys life, and I am truly grateful that he can continue it.
I know this because I am this boys mother.

To the assailents, I would just like to say thank you.
Thank you for not killing my son.

This is the general premise of what was written.

Whatever you think or wherever you stand on this matter, the fact is, it is something everyone can think about.
This is something that anyone can discuss, wether or not you have been in such a situation before.

If you still need to know what excatly to discuss, then think about these questions:

Why is violence and lack of respect such a big issue?

What, if anything, would you do about it?

How do you respond when you are disrespected? And why?

Remeber these are only guidlines, after all, this is ED.

If you think you have some input to add to this, then add it. I'm looking for anything, not just opinions and thoughts.
A little intelligance wouldn't hurt either, so try to keep that in mind as well.
interestingly enough, disputes used to be settled with a fight, they aren't allowed to be anymore, now it's this dishonor s**t.
dueling may seem retarded, but i think in a time when you had a dispute and you could settle it with regulated violence instead of not at all...

if dueling were still legal i would probably have died in a duel already, but, i dunno, i guess im one of those people who was born in the wrong century...
There's been violence and hate since the dawn of "civilization". You just want to b***h and whine about s**t right now.

Peaceful Prophet

7,850 Points
  • Hero 100
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Loiterer 100
looks like a funny topic
Pakistan Dude
There's been violence and hate since the dawn of "civilization". You just want to b***h and whine about s**t right now.

Correction, I want to b***h and whine all the time, I just don't.
stythe
Pakistan Dude

Correction, I want to b***h and whine all the time, I just don't.

Why not? Just b***h and whine all day everyday, I've heard it's good with the ladies/guys. biggrin
So, you percieve an increase in violence and lack of respect in recent years? Sure, this is your own opinion. Can we see some scientific research documenting this? Unless I see measurements and quantifications of these supposed increases (and if I remember right, crime on the whole has been declining for a number of years now) this is nothing but idle speculation and presumptuous discussion. It is not wise to assume this trend exists without proving it.

I'm not sure there is an increase in violence or lack in respect. I think this is a subjective, biased opinion and that the actual trend, if researched through the sciences, is probably quite different.
Starlock
So, you percieve an increase in violence and lack of respect in recent years? Sure, this is your own opinion. Can we see some scientific research documenting this? Unless I see measurements and quantifications of these supposed increases (and if I remember right, crime on the whole has been declining for a number of years now) this is nothing but idle speculation and presumptuous discussion. It is not wise to assume this trend exists without proving it.

I'm not sure there is an increase in violence or lack in respect. I think this is a subjective, biased opinion and that the actual trend, if researched through the sciences, is probably quite different.

It's possible. And I have no proof. Granted I assume I could find statistics, probobly showing both increase and decrease, I'm one who thinks statistics are often wrong.
Especially when it comes to this sort of thing, as I find it highly unlikely that people can judge things like this all too accuratly.
In general though, it's places where these things shouldn't be that aggrivate me.
Like schools. Nowhere do I see common disrespect more then at a school.
I'm sure you can admit that to some degree without a statistic.
On your point though although you may in fact be right, I remember hearing nothing along the lines of decreased crime. Though I'm sure someone has said it sometime or another.
On the other hand, people say violence increases too, so statistics are just as ever changing as everything else.
yay!! *bubbly eyes* lets kill each other!!!it sounds fun!! 3nodding
stythe
Starlock

It's possible. And I have no proof. Granted I assume I could find statistics, probobly showing both increase and decrease, I'm one who thinks statistics are often wrong.
Especially when it comes to this sort of thing, as I find it highly unlikely that people can judge things like this all too accuratly.
In general though, it's places where these things shouldn't be that aggrivate me.
On your point though although you may in fact be right, I remember hearing nothing along the lines of decreased crime. Though I'm sure someone has said it sometime or another.
On the other hand, people say violence increases too, so statistics are just as ever changing as everything else.

(chuckles) You're judging by schools? Well, I suppose it's natural to judge by one's surroundings, but school is nothing resembling real life. Schools are filled with immature, angsty, disrespectful kids who have yet to understand what life in the real world is like. Of *course* they have less respect and are more violent than most people. It's probably a virtue of their inexperience in life. Trends in schools don't reflect trends in society as a whole. People grow up, and people learn. That's what school is for! All these kids learn to be more respectful and less violent as they go through the system, and once they enter the adult world, for the overwhelming majority, that's pretty well ingrained in their heads.

It is certainly possible that school-aged children have become more violent and less respsectful. There is probably evidence for the violence trend (though this too, I am *extremely* skeptical of, because our perception of increases of violence is probably due more to obsessive media coverage than an actual increase in cases).

I understand your aversion to statistics, but it is probably born from missuse of statistics. Statistics, when properly used, are very informative. You just have to bear in mind the source, the kind of analysis that produced them, and if there are any other sets of statistics similar which draw the same conclusions. Statistics are not wrong. They are used in a wrong manner. 3nodding

Wealthy Werewolf

8,950 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Full closet 200
Humans are constantly fighting for supremisy(sp?). If we admit defete (Ie: apology) we loose power. No one likes that. Deal.
Starlock
stythe
Starlock

(chuckles) You're judging by schools? Well, I suppose it's natural to judge by one's surroundings, but school is nothing resembling real life. Schools are filled with immature, angsty, disrespectful kids who have yet to understand what life in the real world is like. Of *course* they have less respect and are more violent than most people. It's probably a virtue of their inexperience in life. Trends in schools don't reflect trends in society as a whole. People grow up, and people learn. That's what school is for! All these kids learn to be more respectful and less violent as they go through the system, and once they enter the adult world, for the overwhelming majority, that's pretty well ingrained in their heads.

It is certainly possible that school-aged children have become more violent and less respsectful. There is probably evidence for the violence trend (though this too, I am *extremely* skeptical of, because our perception of increases of violence is probably due more to obsessive media coverage than an actual increase in cases).

I understand your aversion to statistics, but it is probably born from missuse of statistics. Statistics, when properly used, are very informative. You just have to bear in mind the source, the kind of analysis that produced them, and if there are any other sets of statistics similar which draw the same conclusions. Statistics are not wrong. They are used in a wrong manner. 3nodding

Judging by schools isn't quite where I was going, but since I used them as an example, you got me.
My problem however, isn't simply with direspectful teens.
But looking at what you know of the world, given everything you know that's happening and is going on, do you think about the world as a less violent place?
I mean if you were to think about violence in the world, and putting statistics aside, just for the sake of it, what to you think?
I find it hard to believe it's really all that much better?
I don't, but maybe that's just me.

150 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
I though that 2001 and 2002 were actually decent years in terms of evolution of man. Violence can't be measured just by going through school, cause it's upward trending until at least a little after college years.

Maybe now that most people realized that we have more in common than we thought, but the hatred still exists, people simply hate for dumber reasons to satisfy themselves.

Personally I think if you dislike someone enough to hate them, you should kill them. (I don't hate that many people)

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff