Welcome to Gaia! ::

Xiam
*hovers mouse over link*
Eugh, Buzzfeed. Not clicking.

You know what confuses me? The double standard that a few batshit loudmouths don't represent all of feminists, yet you get a few batshit loudmouths on the MRAs' side and automatically they're all misogynists.

As far as I'm concerned, both sides are massive hypocrites who need to think about what they say, before they say it.

Senator Armstrong
I don't need feminism because the INEVITABLE HEAT DEATH OF THE UNIVERSE will render everything moot anyway.

The most compelling argument I've ever heard on this subject.

My biggest issue with MRA's is their extreme anti-feminist views while saying that the MRA movement is right and good and all that jazz. They also tend to ignore women's issues and believe they don't exist. While feminists actually fight for certain men's issues. MRA's also b***h on the internet while feminists go out in the world and do something. Basically, I see MRA's complaining about a lack of shelters for men and yet they're not raising money to start any. It's illogical.

Then there's also the fact that MRA's seem to refuse to denounce any other MRA no matter how sexist or extremist that person is. Feminists call out each other on problematic behavior. MRA's do not. It's a big problem.
Yobyaxes N
I have yet to see a feminist provide a good argument against these signs without resorting to the whole "Learn about feminism" line. Apparently, they know enough about your movement to have a negative opinion about it because if they truly knew nothing about feminism, they wouldn't give a ******** about it.

I'll do it!

1. So she'd rather be oppressed than "politicize" her gender. Unfortunately, to gain equal rights you must politicize parts of yourself. Is it wrong for those in the LGBT community to "politicize" their sexuality to gain equal rights?

2. Feminism has nothing to do with victim hood. Being oppressed and victim hood are two different things. Though technically all women are "victims" of an oppressive society. Though some would prefer to use the word survivor.

3. Feminism does not demonize men. Some PEOPLE may demonize men but they are not representative of feminism.
What the hell is wrong with having sex? And yes, a woman's sexual activity should be thrown out when investigating if she was raped because having lots of sex does not mean a woman always consents to sex.
Except feminism does not teach women to "be a victim". I have no idea where people are getting that.

4. Again with the victim hood. These women really need to post sources to back up these baseless accusations.
Wow she's blinded to the issues that she and other women face. Yes we face oppression. It's not as overt or big as what women in other countries face but it still occurs.

5. O look. One with no actual argument.

6. I'm capable of critical thinking as well. In fact, I've taken CLASSES in it and my degree is based on LOGICAL THINKING. I still believe that women are oppressed in this country even with such things. My logical thinking actually backs up those arguments.
As for other women representing her, well we always have other people representing us. Is this person also against a representative democracy?

7. Feminism does not belittle men. Just because someone is strong and courageous does not mean that you don't need feminism. It might mean you need feminism LESS than other people but that doesn't mean that you still don't deal with oppression.

8. Feminism actually fights for men's rights. Feminists fought to change the FBI's definition of rape to include men while MRA's sat back and talked about it.

9. This is the first real issue any of these people have brought up. We should not shame and demean any women. Even if they don't identify as feminists. We should educate them on feminism but demeaning them is WRONG and yet does occur.

10. O look another one shaming other women for having sex.

11. Again, feminism fights for men's rights as well as women's. Feminists believe the patriarchy negatively effects men as much as women, which is true.

12. I don't understand how women can believe they're not objectified unless they live under a rock. And yes, she is oppressed. There's no universal look of oppression.

13. The first two have nothing to do with feminism. In fact, feminism backs up such statements. The third is laughably ignorant and is easily debunked by looking up statistics. The fourth is also something feminism does not do.

14. I'll say again that feminism is about equality.

15. This is another one with no actual argument.
Mei tsuki7
Xiam
*hovers mouse over link*

You know what confuses me? The double standard that a few batshit loudmouths don't represent all of feminists, yet you get a few batshit loudmouths on the MRAs' side and automatically they're all misogynists.

As far as I'm concerned, both sides are massive hypocrites who need to think about what they say, before they say it.

Senator Armstrong
I don't need feminism because the INEVITABLE HEAT DEATH OF THE UNIVERSE will render everything moot anyway.

My biggest issue with MRA's is their extreme anti-feminist views while saying that the MRA movement is right and good and all that jazz. They also tend to ignore women's issues and believe they don't exist. While feminists actually fight for certain men's issues. MRA's also b***h on the internet while feminists go out in the world and do something. Basically, I see MRA's complaining about a lack of shelters for men and yet they're not raising money to start any. It's illogical.

Then there's also the fact that MRA's seem to refuse to denounce any other MRA no matter how sexist or extremist that person is. Feminists call out each other on problematic behavior. MRA's do not. It's a big problem.

Oh that's funny,
I thought you said MRA's
Don't call out their radicals.

But hey, Andrea Dworkin and Valerie Solanas were champions of the women's movement. It's no wonder I can't find any articles from other feminists denouncing their work.

Mei tsuki7
Yobyaxes N
I have yet to see a feminist provide a good argument against these signs without resorting to the whole "Learn about feminism" line. Apparently, they know enough about your movement to have a negative opinion about it because if they truly knew nothing about feminism, they wouldn't give a ******** about it.

I'll do it!

1. So she'd rather be oppressed than "politicize" her gender. Unfortunately, to gain equal rights you must politicize parts of yourself. Is it wrong for those in the LGBT community to "politicize" their sexuality to gain equal rights?

2. Feminism has nothing to do with victim hood. Being oppressed and victim hood are two different things. Though technically all women are "victims" of an oppressive society. Though some would prefer to use the word survivor.

3. Feminism does not demonize men. Some PEOPLE may demonize men but they are not representative of feminism.
What the hell is wrong with having sex? And yes, a woman's sexual activity should be thrown out when investigating if she was raped because having lots of sex does not mean a woman always consents to sex.
Except feminism does not teach women to "be a victim". I have no idea where people are getting that.

4. Again with the victim hood. These women really need to post sources to back up these baseless accusations.
Wow she's blinded to the issues that she and other women face. Yes we face oppression. It's not as overt or big as what women in other countries face but it still occurs.

5. O look. One with no actual argument.

6. I'm capable of critical thinking as well. In fact, I've taken CLASSES in it and my degree is based on LOGICAL THINKING. I still believe that women are oppressed in this country even with such things. My logical thinking actually backs up those arguments.
As for other women representing her, well we always have other people representing us. Is this person also against a representative democracy?

7. Feminism does not belittle men. Just because someone is strong and courageous does not mean that you don't need feminism. It might mean you need feminism LESS than other people but that doesn't mean that you still don't deal with oppression.

8. Feminism actually fights for men's rights. Feminists fought to change the FBI's definition of rape to include men while MRA's sat back and talked about it.

9. This is the first real issue any of these people have brought up. We should not shame and demean any women. Even if they don't identify as feminists. We should educate them on feminism but demeaning them is WRONG and yet does occur.

10. O look another one shaming other women for having sex.

11. Again, feminism fights for men's rights as well as women's. Feminists believe the patriarchy negatively effects men as much as women, which is true.

12. I don't understand how women can believe they're not objectified unless they live under a rock. And yes, she is oppressed. There's no universal look of oppression.

13. The first two have nothing to do with feminism. In fact, feminism backs up such statements. The third is laughably ignorant and is easily debunked by looking up statistics. The fourth is also something feminism does not do.

14. I'll say again that feminism is about equality.

15. This is another one with no actual argument.

1. She doesn't want her gender to be the forefront of what her beliefs in politics are. So she could get into politics and all without the fact that she's a woman get in the way of what real work needs to be done when it comes to the real problems this world has. You're too stupid to understand it, but feminists problems pale in comparison to the actual problems this country has.

2. It's funny how you claim that victimhood and oppression are two different things without explaining it, while at the same time saying that ALL women are victims of the "patriarchy" or whatever. Now ain't that misogynistic to speak for all women like that.

3. Explain to me the concept of "patriarchy" and how that doesn't demonize all men as the word itself just says that all men have "male privilege" including homeless men and men in prison, they sure are privileged huh?
I happen to be pro choice but sometimes there's seriously a problem with SOME womens abuse of the PRIVILEGE that she has to get an abortion. It's funny how society demonises men that don't step up to being a father but when women don't want to be mothers, it's their choice.
You said it on number 2 that women are victims of society.

4. Yeah because apparently, this great country that we live in is Pakistan when it comes to rape cases and our "patriarchy" glorifies rape so much that we let the accused go even when there's 100% proof. You must be tired of everyone on the street talking about how awesome rape is huh?
Hopefully you're not too stupid to detect sarcasm, please.

5. Or, it's not something you can refute.

6. I like how you also stated in the lines above that ALL women are oppressed, thus making you speak for the women in these images. I wonder how much they'll appreciate that. Looks like you'll have to do the "logical" thinking for them.

7. And you're really going to have to tell me how famous women like Margaret Thatcher, Ayn Rand, Phyllis Schlafly and others got to where they are without feminism. They all rejected feminism you know. And because hey, women in the army still need feminism because apparently without it, women are just weak, fragile girls that can't do anything for themselves.

8. How do you know it was feminists that wanted the FBI to change the definition? And where are the feminists fighting against false rape accusations made against men? But oh, that doesn't need any fixing because it's only 2% right?

9. We should not shame and demean women, even if they're not feminist, except for this post you made. That's the exception.

10. Well yeah, cause cheating on and deceiving men is AOK. And hey, a woman that consents to sex while drunk is always a victim huh?

11. I still wonder how a "patriarchy", which oppresses women and elevates men, can throw their own men under the bus. Of course, the 99% of men that are at the bottom of the social poll are still elevated above women. Women must obviously make the majority of imprisonments, the homeless and suicides right, because the "patriarchy" is just too strong.

12. I wonder just how "objectified" that secretary working at a major CEO's office is. She comes to work everyday with a smile on her face, that means she's obviously oppressed. It's the same story for the girl smiling in that image.

13. She's an adult that needs feminism just like a baby needs it's mother. Why else would you say that all women need feminism?
Don't you know that only feminism can provide empowerment? Not being a feminist makes you a misogynist or brainwashed.
Hmm.. the statistics show that men make the majority of suicides, homeless, and they also lose the vast majority of times in divorce cases. But that only makes the more "privileged" now does it?
Hopefully that "male privilege" men have won't stop you from respecting them, until they say they're not privilege cause in that case, hate away.

14. Getting lazy now?

15. Or are you in denial?

Profitable Gatekeeper

7,450 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Millionaire 200
The people in that link use the same paint-by-number arguments. Its mostly "i dont see anything wrong so nothings wrong", or people simply going along with learned roles without question. They don't seem to consider that if it weren't for feminism and other movements, they probably wouldn't be trusted to use the internet. It wouldn't matter how strong and free-thinking they are. Their ability to think critically and not be a victim wouldn't matter ether. People wouldn't actually give a crap about who you are (hell, some people today still don't). There are things to criticize about the movement (I have a few), but you can still give credit where its due.

Dedicated Reveler

4,000 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Conversationalist 100
Xiam
*hovers mouse over link*

Sorry, where are the large amount of MRAs that aren't batshit? I look to MRA websites and usually find the stuff on them is pretty nuts. The one I hear of most often from MRAs themselves is AVFM and that's run by a crazy piece of s**t that says if he were on the jury for a rape trial he'd never vote to convict no matter the evidence.
Mei tsuki7
Xiam
*hovers mouse over link*

Senator Armstrong

To the bold: Even as a feminist, I can't think of a single "men's" issue I have ever heard feminists fight against. Perhaps you know of some that I cannot think of - as it is 3:40 AM as I write this - which would be great. I can sometimes see the point of MRAs who point out the lack of shelters for men in this country. It seems like a major oversight on the part of feminists, seeing as how men make up more than 40% of domestic violence victims; you say that it's illogical that MRAs don't try and raise money for these things, which it is, but it is still really shortsighted on the part of feminists to make female-only shelters when feminism teaches equality between sexes. In any case, there are quite a few battered men's shelters. Just not nearly as many as battered women's shelters, despite the issue being almost evenly split along gender lines.

Eloquent Elocutionist

6,050 Points
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200
Mei tsuki7

These generalizations are not useful.

Dedicated Reveler

4,000 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Conversationalist 100
Yoshpet
Mei tsuki7

A scathing rebuttal that will be remembered for ages.

Eloquent Elocutionist

6,050 Points
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200
The Herald of War
Yoshpet
Mei tsuki7

It didn't warrant a scathing rebuttal.

Dedicated Reveler

4,000 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Conversationalist 100
Yoshpet
The Herald of War
Yoshpet
Mei tsuki7

It didn't warrant a scathing rebuttal.

It warranted something on the level of "Nuh uh!" without explanation?

Eloquent Elocutionist

6,050 Points
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200
The Herald of War

Generalizations are not useful. Do not make room for them only because they confirm your bias. I will do my best not to as well. By all means, remind me if I slip up.

Dedicated Reveler

4,000 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Conversationalist 100
Yoshpet
The Herald of War

Generalizations are not useful. Do not make room for them only because they confirm your bias. I will do my best not to as well. By all means, remind me if I slip up.

Um I'm pretty sure they are. For instance even if not every single Republican supports all the details of the party's platform I'd say it's still useful to talk about the party as a whole even if it doesn't account for every individual variation in the position of the members.

Eloquent Elocutionist

6,050 Points
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200
The Herald of War
Yoshpet
The Herald of War

Um I'm pretty sure they are. For instance even if not every single Republican supports all the details of the party's platform I'd say it's still useful to talk about the party as a whole even if it doesn't account for every individual variation in the position of the members.

Fair enough, but I think there's a difference between describing the ideals of an organization and the people who identify with it, and generalizing the members of said organization on activities which aren't even inherent in the identity. It's fair to say "feminists support women's rights" but not fair to say "feminists are angry lesbians" even though both are generalizations.
Yoshpet
The Herald of War
Yoshpet
The Herald of War

Fair enough, but I think there's a difference between describing the ideals of an organization and the people who identify with it, and generalizing the members of said organization on activities which aren't even inherent in the identity. It's fair to say "feminists support women's rights" but not fair to say "feminists are angry lesbians" even though both are generalizations.

What? I must've misread A Vindication of the Rights of Woman, because I thought that was a part of the platform of feminism. razz

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff