Dapper Codger

7,825 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Robotic lalanono
Dion Necurat
Robotic lalanono
Why is it every time I create a thread about sexism against a woman, someone always has to jump in to point out that sexism happens to men too? The same happens when I bring up a subject about racism. Someone always has to jump in and say, "So?!?! Racism happens to white people too!"

I ******** know that!

When I make a thread about racism or sexism, I'm not denying it happens to white people and men. Just because I didn't make a thread about it doesn't mean I don't think it happens, but you know what, jumping into someone else's thread to point it out doesn't make the person look genuinely concerned about the issue they are pointing out, it rather makes them look as if they are only wishing to use that issue as ammo to make someone else shut up. I mean, really, is it so hard to create your own thread discussing the issue WITHOUT criticizing the other issue?

If racism against white people concerns you, make a thread about racism against white people without criticizing people who point out racism against non-whites. If sexism against men concerns you, make a thread about it without criticizing feminism (which is actually pretty odd, since feminism is for men too).

It just boggles my mind. I'm not sure the right people will read this, and I'm sure the ones that do will just continue to do it. I'm aware of this. I guess I just needed to rant.

Well when you talk about a social issue, it affects more than just the one group (whether it be gay, straight, white, black, women, men, etc.). What's more astounding is that you're butthurt because people make a valid point.

It would be a valid point if it served in a way that wasn't meant to shut someone up. I'm not going to go into someone else's thread and use racism against non-whites or sexism against women to shut up someone who had been discriminated against for being white (which would be dumb of me, since I'm half white and have seen it happen to my mother) or treated differently because they are a man.

Well no, but the concept that feminism only effects women is silly.
Dion Necurat
Robotic lalanono
Dion Necurat
Robotic lalanono
Why is it every time I create a thread about sexism against a woman, someone always has to jump in to point out that sexism happens to men too? The same happens when I bring up a subject about racism. Someone always has to jump in and say, "So?!?! Racism happens to white people too!"

I ******** know that!

When I make a thread about racism or sexism, I'm not denying it happens to white people and men. Just because I didn't make a thread about it doesn't mean I don't think it happens, but you know what, jumping into someone else's thread to point it out doesn't make the person look genuinely concerned about the issue they are pointing out, it rather makes them look as if they are only wishing to use that issue as ammo to make someone else shut up. I mean, really, is it so hard to create your own thread discussing the issue WITHOUT criticizing the other issue?

If racism against white people concerns you, make a thread about racism against white people without criticizing people who point out racism against non-whites. If sexism against men concerns you, make a thread about it without criticizing feminism (which is actually pretty odd, since feminism is for men too).

It just boggles my mind. I'm not sure the right people will read this, and I'm sure the ones that do will just continue to do it. I'm aware of this. I guess I just needed to rant.

Well when you talk about a social issue, it affects more than just the one group (whether it be gay, straight, white, black, women, men, etc.). What's more astounding is that you're butthurt because people make a valid point.

It would be a valid point if it served in a way that wasn't meant to shut someone up. I'm not going to go into someone else's thread and use racism against non-whites or sexism against women to shut up someone who had been discriminated against for being white (which would be dumb of me, since I'm half white and have seen it happen to my mother) or treated differently because they are a man.

Well no, but the concept that feminism only effects women is silly.

...and I never implied that it did, and I have yet to run into a thread that did.

Gaian

Robotic lalanono
AvenirLegacy
Robotic lalanono
AvenirLegacy
Robotic lalanono

The very definition of feminism is to promote equal rights between women AND men.

Actually several dictionaries refer to it as a political movement designed to elevate woman to having the same rights as men.

...and what about it? Many feminists will tell you that a misogynist culture hurts everyone, men included.

How would it hurt men?

Well, let's take a look at American society. Children are encouraged to believe that men are big strong leaders and women are weak and delicate little flowers who are incapable of doing any real physical damage. Perhaps it's not always taught directly, but it always is subtly. We teach young boys that it's not okay to hit girls, while girls are taught that it's not okay for a boy to hit them. This gives more power to the thought that only boys are capable of damage. In movies, television shows, and in real life, people find it comical when they see a woman slap a man across the face. Sometimes she is even praised for it (even when it's not self defense), but when a man does it to a woman (even in self defense) he can almost never live it down and is often seen as a terrible person for hitting a woman. Women are more likely to get away with abuse done to a man, because officers are more likely to have the mind set that the man must have brought it on himself for allowing himself to be beat up by a woman, OR the woman could easily manipulate the situation by reinforcing the stereotype that she could do no damage because she's just a woman (and as much as I dislike Dr. Phil, I saw an episode my mom was watching in which a woman actually admitted to doing this. She beat her husband up on a regular basis and said if he called the cops, she would tell them she was incapable of doing any damage because he's a big strong marine and she's just a petite woman).

There's also the issue of sexual abuse.

Men in American society are taught that if they get sexually assaulted by a woman, it's not rape. It's cool. They got free sex. They should enjoy it. Only men are capable of committing rape.

So part of the goal of feminism is allow men to hit woman without social repercussions? And for men to be able to file a claim against woman who abuse them? Not all woman would want this, as I am reminded of this meme:
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

And this one:

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

If men are so privaleged, then the courts would have no problem siding with them in a rape case. As for the domestic violence, the courts can be fair and most woman who abuse their male spouse will be thrown in jail.
AvenirLegacy
Robotic lalanono
AvenirLegacy
Robotic lalanono
AvenirLegacy
Robotic lalanono

The very definition of feminism is to promote equal rights between women AND men.

Actually several dictionaries refer to it as a political movement designed to elevate woman to having the same rights as men.

...and what about it? Many feminists will tell you that a misogynist culture hurts everyone, men included.

How would it hurt men?

Well, let's take a look at American society. Children are encouraged to believe that men are big strong leaders and women are weak and delicate little flowers who are incapable of doing any real physical damage. Perhaps it's not always taught directly, but it always is subtly. We teach young boys that it's not okay to hit girls, while girls are taught that it's not okay for a boy to hit them. This gives more power to the thought that only boys are capable of damage. In movies, television shows, and in real life, people find it comical when they see a woman slap a man across the face. Sometimes she is even praised for it (even when it's not self defense), but when a man does it to a woman (even in self defense) he can almost never live it down and is often seen as a terrible person for hitting a woman. Women are more likely to get away with abuse done to a man, because officers are more likely to have the mind set that the man must have brought it on himself for allowing himself to be beat up by a woman, OR the woman could easily manipulate the situation by reinforcing the stereotype that she could do no damage because she's just a woman (and as much as I dislike Dr. Phil, I saw an episode my mom was watching in which a woman actually admitted to doing this. She beat her husband up on a regular basis and said if he called the cops, she would tell them she was incapable of doing any damage because he's a big strong marine and she's just a petite woman).

There's also the issue of sexual abuse.

Men in American society are taught that if they get sexually assaulted by a woman, it's not rape. It's cool. They got free sex. They should enjoy it. Only men are capable of committing rape.

Quote:
So part of the goal of feminism is allow men to hit woman without social repercussions?

That's what you got out of that? Seriously? Let me spell it out for you. The goal of feminism is for men and women to be treated equally. Men should not hit women, but women should not hit men either. The only time it is ever okay is to defend oneself.

Quote:
If men are so privaleged, then the courts would have no problem siding with them in a rape case. As for the domestic violence, the courts can be fair and most woman who abuse their male spouse will be thrown in jail.

Stats, please.

Gaian

Robotic lalanono

That's what you got out of that? Seriously? Let me spell it out for you. The goal of feminism is for men and women to be treated equally. Men should not hit women, but women should not hit men either. The only time it is ever okay is to defend oneself.

So your trying to remove the stigma that men are al-mighty and don't have excuses for hitting woman. I can get behind that.

Quote:

Stats, please.

I did say "if", so I do not have to provide stats.
AvenirLegacy
Robotic lalanono

So your trying to remove the stigma that men are al-mighty and don't have excuses for hitting woman. I can get behind that.

Quote:

Stats, please.

I did say "if", so I do not have to provide stats.

Glad we seem to be on the same page about that (if you, in fact, are implying that you don't believe anyone of any gender should be hitting anyone with the exception of cases of self defense). One of my goals as a feminist is for people to be treated equally and go by the same morals and principles regardless of their gender.

I found this source that states that between '06 and '10 that the number of rape cases against men went unreported were 55% and 16% of those victims believed the police officers would not or could not help. 18% did not report the rape for other reasons, but my guess might be the social consequence of ridicule they'd get from fellow men and maybe even some women.
Miragen
Robotic lalanono
Why is it every time I create a thread about sexism against a woman, someone always has to jump in to point out that sexism happens to men too?
I ******** know that!

And we ******** know that sexism against woman exists aswell.
Maybe you should stop making threads about it.

How about if you don't like people talking about it, don't participate in the thread? emotion_eyebrow
Robotic lalanono
Miragen
Robotic lalanono
Why is it every time I create a thread about sexism against a woman, someone always has to jump in to point out that sexism happens to men too?
I ******** know that!

How about if you don't like people talking about it, don't participate in the thread? emotion_eyebrow

Nah, i'd rather participate and tell you to stop making threads about it.
Miragen
Robotic lalanono
Miragen
Robotic lalanono
I ******** know that!

Why? It's a waste of your time. I'm not going to stop making threads about it.
Robotic lalanono
Miragen
Robotic lalanono
Miragen
Robotic lalanono
I ******** know that!

These threads are a waste of time aswell, so it evens out.
Miragen
Robotic lalanono
Miragen
Robotic lalanono
Miragen
Robotic lalanono
I ******** know that!

You're entitled to your opinion. I just showed someone that feminism benefits men as well, while you have failed to convince me that I should stop making threads like this.
Robotic lalanono
Miragen
Robotic lalanono
Miragen
Robotic lalanono

You're entitled to your opinion. I just showed someone that feminism benefits men as well, while you have failed to convince me that I should stop making threads like this.

Haha, I really don't care what you do and don't do, i'm just bored.
Such statements often arise when there is the unspoken assumption that the topic is exclusively about women, which omits to mention alternative sexism, and attempts to paint men exclusively in an offending role.

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
Robotic lalanono

And many children will tell me that the tooth fairy exists.
It doesn't make it true.
The naming of things is important.
If the goal were equality, the name would not be indicitive of one gender.
It is that simple.
The name, even if it were the only instance of inequality, is an inequality caused by the movement. It is not the only instance of inequality caused by the movement. While very very far removed from a Men's Right's Activist (save that I am an activist who has, as part of his panoply of issues, a soft spot for the rights of men {I also have a soft spot for the rights of women and realise that, on the whole, women get treated a lot worse by society than men do}), my problems with feminism extend to "the patriarchy" (which does not exist), the title, the fact that men involved in the movement generally have to tow a party line or very quickly find themselves othered, disenfranchised and cast as an MRA a*****e (that is not projection, MRA adherents are assholes).

The feminist movement is political. It is worthy. It needs to focus on women's issues only and state as much {rather than the either ignorant or dishonest claim that it is concerned with both genders} or change its name or subsume itself to the general egalitarianism movement (I recommend the first).

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff