Welcome to Gaia! ::

Worst people to run into on Z-Day?

Police 0.0625 6.2% [ 2 ]
Military 0.03125 3.1% [ 1 ]
People who are freaking out, crying, and begging for help 0.0625 6.2% [ 2 ]
Rich People 0.0625 6.2% [ 2 ]
People who have gone crazy and are raping everything that moves 0.3125 31.2% [ 10 ]
Gun Nuts 0 0.0% [ 0 ]
The Governor 0.0625 6.2% [ 2 ]
That crazy General from The Postman 0.03125 3.1% [ 1 ]
Literally anyone at all 0.09375 9.4% [ 3 ]
The author of this topic 0.28125 28.1% [ 9 ]
Total Votes:[ 32 ]
< 1 2 3 4 5 >

Tenacious Genius

4,650 Points
  • Restorative Spirit 250
  • Vicious Spirit 250
  • Hygienic 200
My plan:

I go to work.

Boom, apocalypse survived.

6,850 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Forum Regular 100
For the equipment I get to choose, I'd bring a parang (similar to a machete), a multi-purpose knife, a hachet, a bottle of Excedrin (pain reliever), a bottle of Novamoxin (antibiotic), two MREs, and for my book, The Zombie Survival Guide.

I figure that the first day of the outbreak is going to be the worst. Mass pandemonium could easily draw unwanted attention in my direction. I decide to camp out in my home for the night, blinding my windows, and proping a chair up against the front door handle. This is mostly for looters rather than zombies, I think as a regressed awareness they wouldn't think to try to open doors unless they knew someone was behind it.

Night passes, and day comes. I take a peak through my blinds. There are a few undead walking aimlessly in the streets. It seems that in a single night, the town was overrun. Anyone alive from this town is either hiding like me, or has taken off.

Luckily, the back entrance to my house is not far from the woods. I take my gear and decide to venture out on foot, looking for somewhere abandoned to take shelter.

Unfortunately, this will probably result in me dying from an unnoticed zombie or starvation at some point or another, so unless I stumbled across a miracle, I'm doomed.

Eloquent Sophomore

8,975 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Signature Look 250
toasega

wahmbulance Because I want to make this as difficult as possible. Also because SILENCE, I AM THE MASTER OF THIS THREAD AND I HATH SPOKEN.

You sure did!

Quote:
Quote:

Well, now that I'm in the middle of the woods,

wahmbulance No one ever said you were in the woods, I just mentioned the area where you happen to live in this scenario. "Out of the worst part of the danger zone" could be anywhere in that area, be it closer to the city, closer to the woods, or, as you said, back in your own home.

If back in my home is an option, I'm there.
If not, it's the woods. Everything else in my area is lake, and suburbs.

Quote:
However, your home does not have an unlimited supply of food and water, and it's implied that you are very unprepared for the situation and in fact have an almost empty fridge/pantry, hence the "little to no resources".

I've actually got emergency food. Not for zombies, but general emergency preparedness. It's nice not having to go shopping when a big storm knocks out the power for a week.
That would buy me at least a couple of weeks, a month if I use light rations.

In a zombie invasion, I might also consider rigging up a smoker in my attic using my emergency grill and a few other parts, to be run at night so nobody can see where the smoke is coming from. (Yes, I have an emergency charcoal grill. My stove runs on electricity, after one long power outage, you'd want an emergency grill too. And yes, as an engineer, I know how to rig it so my house DOESN'T fill with carbon monoxide.) Properly smoked, the meat in my freezer would increase my rations by another couple of weeks. Nutritional balance wouldn't be an issue, my house has vitamins out the wazoo.

Really, my big problem would be water. However, I have my own well. If I can't rig a mechanical means of pumping my own, I could build a parabolic solar cooker based water distillery from cardboard, tinfoil, and the parts to my water heater.

Engineering skills are awesome.

Eloquent Sophomore

8,975 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Signature Look 250
Suicidesoldier#1
Exoth XIII
toasega

1 melee weapon (you have no guns, nor do you have the knowledge of where to access them).

2 lightweight tools that serve many functions.

2 medical items (this could be 1.pills and 2.bandages or any other two items you deem worthy).

2 food items.

1 full canteen of water.

1 change of clothes.

1 Tarp or small, one person tent.

1 compass.

1 book (you have no Kindles or electronic devices)

1 small backpack.

You quickly rush through the house, gathering all of the items into your pack just before you hear screaming outside. The Zombies are out, and worse, they're fast zombies. You see a few people with guns try to fight off the ever increasing hordes, but the sounds of their weapons brings hundreds more directly to them and they are quickly overwhelmed. Knowing that if it doesn't know you're there, it can't hunt you, you stick to the shadows, and by sheer luck manage to make it out of the worst part of the danger zone.

Why'd I leave my house? That was INSANELY dangerous.

Well, now that I'm in the middle of the woods, owing to my sudden lapse in judgement, I have to figure out how to get back home, where I've got food, shelter, AND relative invisibility to zombies.
I certainly can't live off the land; when the zombies invade, plenty of people will be trying to escape to the woods to do the same, people who are more skilled and better equipped to go hunting than I am.

Fast zombies rack up muscle wear and injuries faster than slow ones, so there's a MUCH greater advantage to just hiding.

Well, presumably, it's because your house is about to be over run, is being over run, or you realize you're going to run out of food, and can fit most of it in your pack anyways.

You've only got a few days worth of food at best, so you go somewhere to try to get more, where everyone else isn't going for some reason or another.

If that's the case, we're a few weeks in already. My best bet would be to find a group headed to the large military base nearby, assuming they haven't cleared my area already. Make sure I've got plenty of ways to signal to them that I'm not, in fact, a zombie, and submit to detainment and examination for infection.

Fanatical Zealot

1 melee weapon: Banana

2 lightweight tools that serve many functions: Machete, Buck Knife

2 medical items: Hydrogen peroxide, bandages

2 food items: LRRP freeze dried rations, vitamin pills

1 full canteen of water: 5 quart collapsible one sucka!

1 change of clothes: Military fatigues, winter clothes

1 Tarp or small, one person tent: I don't know the best one, but I suppose a hammock with a tarp on top of that

1 compass: Military compass of some kind. Not as useful without a map, but eh

1 book: SAS survival book, military survival manuals, map book, or book on hunting and foraging

1 small backpack: Small?! Well, backpacks that are large with a hard backing internal frame are great, but I suppose then maybe the Maxpedition Zafar Backpack (has an internal frame, but it rather small) or Maxpedition Typhoon Backpack.

Garbage

Suicidesoldier#1
What about a pointed stick?

Fanatical Zealot

Cassidy Peterson
Suicidesoldier#1
What about a pointed stick?

Well, it's the most cleverest weapon of all!

I'll use it to trip up cars or people by getting them to slip on it, but it will appear innocuous! It's the perfect weapon for my cause!

Yeah, that or a pointed stick.

That uh... that seems like a pretty good idea. xp

Could poke out a tire or something, idk.

Fanatical Zealot

Exoth XIII
Suicidesoldier#1
Exoth XIII
toasega

1 melee weapon (you have no guns, nor do you have the knowledge of where to access them).

2 medical items (this could be 1.pills and 2.bandages or any other two items you deem worthy).

2 food items.

1 full canteen of water.

1 change of clothes.

1 compass.

1 small backpack.

You quickly rush through the house, gathering all of the items into your pack just before you hear screaming outside. The Zombies are out, and worse, they're fast zombies. You see a few people with guns try to fight off the ever increasing hordes, but the sounds of their weapons brings hundreds more directly to them and they are quickly overwhelmed. Knowing that if it doesn't know you're there, it can't hunt you, you stick to the shadows, and by sheer luck manage to make it out of the worst part of the danger zone.

Well, now that I'm in the middle of the woods, owing to my sudden lapse in judgement, I have to figure out how to get back home, where I've got food, shelter, AND relative invisibility to zombies.
I certainly can't live off the land; when the zombies invade, plenty of people will be trying to escape to the woods to do the same, people who are more skilled and better equipped to go hunting than I am.

Fast zombies rack up muscle wear and injuries faster than slow ones, so there's a MUCH greater advantage to just hiding.

Well, presumably, it's because your house is about to be over run, is being over run, or you realize you're going to run out of food, and can fit most of it in your pack anyways.

You've only got a few days worth of food at best, so you go somewhere to try to get more, where everyone else isn't going for some reason or another.

If that's the case, we're a few weeks in already. My best bet would be to find a group headed to the large military base nearby, assuming they haven't cleared my area already. Make sure I've got plenty of ways to signal to them that I'm not, in fact, a zombie, and submit to detainment and examination for infection.

But how would they grow food?

DUM DUM DUM!

I suppose after a lot of time, military people would head out and try to find a community or farm of some kind to protect, that was looking to expand. It might be a little bit annoying to set up better security, but if they could get a little bit of gas and set up a more defensible position with a barricade, the extra work would be worth it.

Eloquent Sophomore

8,975 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Signature Look 250
Suicidesoldier#1
Exoth XIII
Suicidesoldier#1
Exoth XIII
toasega

2 food items.

1 full canteen of water.

1 change of clothes.

1 compass.

1 small backpack.

DUM DUM DUM!

There's a lot of farms in my area too.
The base would likely offer farmers protection in exchange for the use of their skills and land.

They'd probably also convert some of the land enclosed in the base, to be used as emergency farms.

Fanatical Zealot

Exoth XIII
Suicidesoldier#1
Exoth XIII
Suicidesoldier#1
Exoth XIII
toasega

2 food items.

1 full canteen of water.

1 change of clothes.

1 compass.

1 small backpack.

DUM DUM DUM!

The base would likely offer farmers protection in exchange for the use of their skills and land.

They'd probably also convert some of the land enclosed in the base, to be used as emergency farms.

It might just be safer for them to go out and live on the farm; a smaller area to protect and generally easier to defend and centralize your forces.

Protecting a whole city and having to travel a lot to get to your food source and vice versa would probably bring a lot of liability issues.

Eloquent Sophomore

8,975 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Signature Look 250
Suicidesoldier#1
Exoth XIII
Suicidesoldier#1
Exoth XIII
Suicidesoldier#1

DUM DUM DUM!

It might just be safer for them to go out and live on the farm; a smaller area to protect and generally easier to defend and centralize your forces.

Protecting a whole city and having to travel a lot to get to your food source and vice versa would probably bring a lot of liability issues.

That's sort of what I mean. Kinda.
There's going to be WAY too many people on base to have them all living on farms, but they would likely position some of their guys there, to keep the farms relatively safe. They'd also want to have patrols on the roads to keep those clear; history has taught us roads are important.

I think maybe you're underestimating the number of dudes at the base? This is a BIG damn base. Not to mention, they'll be able to conscript and train the unskilled taking shelter there.

Powerhungry Genius

44,950 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Seasoned Warrior 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
from blue to
Fires up chainsaw.

Cranks up music.

"Goin' dooown in a blaze of glory..."

Dies with a smile when zombies go for the over-the-top distraction while family escapes to relative's house that has an arsenal of guns.
good luck smiling while having your guts pulled out by zombies. emotion_zombie

Powerhungry Genius

44,950 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Seasoned Warrior 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
What I'd have

Baseball bat

Can opener & Water bottle

My first aid kit & pain medicine

2 food items.
A container of Cliff Bars & pop-tarts

1 full canteen of water.

1 change of clothes.

1 compass.

the zombie survival guide (duh)

1 small backpack.
My rolling one

Beloved Lunatic

shadowswhiskers13 -
from blue to
Fires up chainsaw.

Cranks up music.

Dies with a smile when zombies go for the over-the-top distraction while family escapes to relative's house that has an arsenal of guns.

Luck's got nuthin' to do with it.
I'm gonna force my mouth into a smile before I begin with a couple of fish hooks and some high test fishing line run 'round the back of my head connecting them.
xd

Powerhungry Genius

44,950 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Seasoned Warrior 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
from blue to
shadowswhiskers13 -
from blue to
Fires up chainsaw.

Cranks up music.

Luck's got nuthin' to do with it.
I'm gonna force my mouth into a smile before I begin with a couple of fish hooks and some high test fishing line run 'round the back of my head connecting them.
xd
remind me if I ever meet you during a zombie doomsday to go all "Governor" on you by forcing you to fight to the death in an arena against zombies. I'm probably the only person here who cool with that idea. *laughs evilly*

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff