Welcome to Gaia! ::

Loyal Rogue

14,550 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Tested Practitioner 250
  • Elocutionist 200
Mulien
Piercings can be taken out eventually. I think 16 is a reasonable age to get one. Just don't forget to take it out when you're about 23 or so. Older people with facial piercings always indicates some sort of physical condition. But when you're young it's just a cute way of showing you're rebellious.

?? they don't always indicate special meanings in adulthood. that's a cultural thing. it varies from culture to culture, religion to religion, nationality to nationality, person to person.

and furthermore, that people should dictate what you can and can't do -- or should or shouldn't do -- is frankly oppressive authoritarianism. completely needless and uncalled for restrictions.

Hardworking Sex Symbol

13,500 Points
  • Battery 500
  • Rat Conqueror 500
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
Chieftain Twilight
Mulien
Piercings can be taken out eventually. I think 16 is a reasonable age to get one. Just don't forget to take it out when you're about 23 or so. Older people with facial piercings always indicates some sort of physical condition. But when you're young it's just a cute way of showing you're rebellious.

?? they don't always indicate special meanings in adulthood. that's a cultural thing. it varies from culture to culture, religion to religion, nationality to nationality, person to person.

and furthermore, that people should dictate what you can and can't do -- or should or shouldn't do -- is frankly oppressive authoritarianism. completely needless and uncalled for restrictions.

fair enough. if you're living in the African Bush I get that there's a need to put a bone through your nose lol
Other then that, there are a lot of people that use body modifications as a 'shield' in my opinion. I have a hard time seeing beyond that piercing and I know I'm not the only one! Why the need to be so overprotective about yourself and not show your natural beauty?

Loyal Rogue

14,550 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Tested Practitioner 250
  • Elocutionist 200
Mulien
Chieftain Twilight
Mulien

fair enough. if you're living in the African Bush I get that there's a need to put a bone through your nose lol
Other then that, there are a lot of people that use body modifications as a 'shield' in my opinion. I have a hard time seeing beyond that piercing and I know I'm not the only one! Why the need to be so overprotective about yourself and not show your natural beauty?

I think you're looking at it entirely differently than them, and imposing your own projection of what you think they are doing on them. the truth is very different.

body modifications aren't so much used as a "shield"... they are decorations, personalizations, improvements on the design, if you will. it's about individualization. natural beauty is great, it's awesome. but it can also be enhanced or expanded upon.

think of it this way: we as a species created clothing, at first primarily for warmth/coolness and protection. but over time, we developed recreational uses for clothing as well -- an outlet of expression. fashion. this historically is thought to have started in the Dark Ages, though some have noticed that jewelry and other forms of fashion were used even by Neanderthals.

Body Mods are just another form of this same concept.

Shameless Heckler

12,225 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
18 is the right age for body modifications more extreme than just a single pair of ear rings.

Because by then they should of gained enough life experience to make an informed choices about things like this that can have long term consequences.

And I am talking about the extreme "I shall never find paid employment outside of a sideshow" levels of body modification, not a nose stud or a lip stud here.

Magical Investigator

22,875 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Pine Perfection 250
  • Forum Regular 100
75. No child of mine is gonna be a pincushion. xp

Magical Investigator

22,875 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Pine Perfection 250
  • Forum Regular 100
75. No child of mine is gonna be a pincushion. xp

Tipsy Smoker

Chatty Gaian

8,150 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Popular Thread 100
It will depend on the maturity level of the child, age, where the piercing will be and size. Once they are 18, they can get any piercing/tattoo they want.

Savage Fairy

13,250 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Super Tipsy 200
Legal age restrictions for piercings without parental/guardian's consent are 16 for most and 18 for a limited number (including female and male nipples; genital; surface anchors; bridge; cheek(s); o-needle and large gauge piercings; and Facial Surface piercings).

So basically once they're 16 or 18 (depending what kind of piercings they get), there's not much a parent can do about it. Although any parent who says "well not under my roof" can just gtfo, seriously its just a piercing.

My own opinion on it would be that facial piercings are gross. So I'd certainly discourage said fictional child from getting any, but couldn't stop them once they're old enough.
I was a year old when my mom got my ears pierced. She thought, "I would look cute", being her first kid and all. Then at the age of 13 I got my tongue pierced, because my mom's boyfriend convinced her to let me get it done.

I suppose it varies from parent to parent as to what age is appropriate for piercings.

Opinionated Lunatic

17,075 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Cart Raider 100
Yes I know that by this standard I'm not old enough myself, but I don't see the problem. Too bad I won't be allowed to forbid it after they're 18.
EDIT: This applies to earlobe stretching, facial and genital piercings. Earlobes is 13, ears and navel is 16.

Tipsy Kitten

If they can pay for it, go for it.

Tipsy Kitten

Mulien

My mom, who is in her 50s has her nose pierced. So according to you she has some kind of physical condition?
Rather than the fact that she's had it since she was in her 20s and just likes to have her nose pierced

Hardworking Sex Symbol

13,500 Points
  • Battery 500
  • Rat Conqueror 500
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
Toki Bird
Mulien

My mom, who is in her 50s has her nose pierced. So according to you she has some kind of physical condition?
Rather than the fact that she's had it since she was in her 20s and just likes to have her nose pierced

Yes I think that. But that could also have to do something with my physical condition stressed

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff