Welcome to Gaia! ::

Unholy Abomination

21,900 Points
  • Sunny Side Up 100
  • Abomination 100
  • Conventioneer 300
scacchic
Just out of curiosity, how many of you believe whites face racism? Not just encountering people who are prejudiced and make stereotypical remarks about whites, but racism.

Of course white people face racism. But I don't believe it's as widespread, systematic, or damaging as the racism encountered by non-whites.

For instance, (and I've used this comparison before,) you don't often see black power groups going around and burning down white churches.
Feminism and Frybread
GarbagePailAdult
Feminism and Frybread
Nuuupe, you can't be racist against white people. You can be prejudiced, you can be bigoted, you can be mean towards them, but not racist. racism involves power, a power that PoC do not have.

Fair enough. Let's say, just for the sake of argument, that I live in a minority-white city whose central office employees are less than 10% white. I can't get a simple form in several times it takes them to give one to a member of the city's demographic majority. This is a recurring pattern. Yet, I am not being racially discriminated against because white people run every place?
Assuming that this hypothetical takes place in the United States (which is where my perspective as a WoC comes from, I can't necessarily speak from other countries' race relations) I would go with it just being bigoted or prejudiced, because the definition of racism, as defined by anti-racism activists, is "Power+Prejudice" and, while it may appear from where you sit that these gov't employees may have "power", here in the US, we have no institutionalized power. It's a very complicated power dynamic. Does that make sense? I know sometimes I can have a hard time being understood, lol.

It sounds like a bunch of BS invented by Pat Bidol and Judy Katz.... O wait thats exactly what it is.

That formulaic definition of racism depends heavily on a very monolithic and simpletons definition of power. Seems more like a convenient bit of linguistic gymnastics to make hypocracy less hypocritical.

Eloquent Streaker

Feminism and Frybread
Nuuupe, you can't be racist against white people. You can be prejudiced, you can be bigoted, you can be mean towards them, but not racist. racism involves power, a power that PoC do not have.
Racism is simply prejudice and/or bigotry against somebody based on their race or ethnicity. Power is only required if one wishes to act on their racism without the risk of being prosecuted for it.

So yes, non-whites can be racist against whites. They just lack the power to act on that racism in any meaningful way. Anyone who honestly believes the ability to be racist is white-exclusive is a ******** moron.

Eloquent Streaker

White people do face racism; anyone who honestly believes that racism is a white-only thing is a ******** moron. We just don't face institutionalized racism (i.e. legally enforced racism), so it's not as big of a deal for us when we do face it. Still shouldn't have to face it, since racism is a concept that should've been left behind in the 19th century, but I ain't gonna flip my s**t about it unless I truly get offended (and I rarely do).

Blessed Rogue

10,450 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Mega Tipsy 100
http://eagnews.org/wisconsin-education-officials-want-students-to-wear-white-privilege-wristbands/

You want to talk racial discrimination? Now even high-school can apparently legally shame students on the basis of their race (as long as they're white), and all the supposed "benefits" that they have no control over.

Because how dare they choose to be born white? Shameful heathens, with their white privileges that they never asked for...
Feminism and Frybread
GarbagePailAdult
Feminism and Frybread

Fair enough. Let's say, just for the sake of argument, that I live in a minority-white city whose central office employees are less than 10% white. I can't get a simple form in several times it takes them to give one to a member of the city's demographic majority. This is a recurring pattern. Yet, I am not being racially discriminated against because white people run every place?
Assuming that this hypothetical takes place in the United States (which is where my perspective as a WoC comes from, I can't necessarily speak from other countries' race relations) I would go with it just being bigoted or prejudiced, because the definition of racism, as defined by anti-racism activists, is "Power+Prejudice" and, while it may appear from where you sit that these gov't employees may have "power", here in the US, we have no institutionalized power. It's a very complicated power dynamic. Does that make sense? I know sometimes I can have a hard time being understood, lol.
Fortunately, anti-racism activists don't get to redefine words to fit their political agenda. The term most people use is simply "Prejudice based on race", which allows for racism without any real power.

Dapper Swapper

I encounter a lot of "reverse racism" here where I live (the deep south) but I feel like it's because there is a lot of racism period, from all races here.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff