Welcome to Gaia! ::

scacchic
Just out of curiosity, how many of you believe whites face racism? Not just encountering people who are prejudiced and make stereotypical remarks about whites, but racism.

You'd need to define "White" and "Racism"

I assure you, I could go to a handful of countries in Europe where the two peoples have had hundred year old hatreds of each other, and I PROMISE you, if I walked into the wrong country being the wrong ethnicity, I would face.... Shall we say "Very unkind treatment" until I further understand what you mean by "Racism"

Dedicated Reveler

4,000 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Conversationalist 100
I'd call those racism, however weak. I'm not interested in whatever academic definition because this is not some academic discussion. Perhaps it is useful for them, I do not see how it is particularly useful for any discussion I've taken part in. Colloquial is fine with me, barring any apparent need for the other. In regards to right and wrong, I see no need to distinguish based on power.

If it were like someone trying to attack scientific theories by misusing the word 'theory' I see the need for academic definitions. I have not noticed a relevant need for the distinction as sociology does not define right and wrong, and when people speak of racism they often speak of what should or should not happen, not some intricate theory.

Conservative Victory

I believe in reverse racism. I believe for example that most blacks, whether they will admit it or not are heavily racist towards whites because of wrongs done in the past by whites. Especially down here in the South I have ran across many blacks who come off as racist. Racist elements exists within every country, every society, every culture, and plague every demographic group. There is no avoiding it. In the past whites disliked non-whites, and that is still true with some today, but I also believe non-whites greatly dislike whites only because they still will not let the past die, and believe whites still dislike them. The cycle never ends. And racism exists not just within culture but institutionally in many ways as well. Not every white and not ever non-white is a racist but in some areas the dislike still runs strong. Even whites I have met still refer to blacks as "niggers", and blacks who refer to whites as "crackers".

Omnipresent Glitch

11,850 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Invisibility 100
I believe racism exists all across the board. However, the term "reverse racism" is a fallacy that implies that in order for there to be "reverse" racism that there'd have to be "normal" racism, but all racism is just plainly racism. It was a term coined by people that decided that they were literally being victimized in the process.

Examples:
Chinese hating Japanese: racism
Whites hating blacks: racism
Koreans hating blacks: racism
Hispanics hating Vietnamese: racism
Japanese hating whites: racism
Blacks hating whites: Reverse Racism?

What makes whites so special that they get a specific term for prejudice being put against them in this sense?

Lunatic

Prince Ikari
I believe in reverse racism. I believe for example that most blacks, whether they will admit it or not are heavily racist towards whites because of wrongs done in the past by whites. Especially down here in the South I have ran across many blacks who come off as racist. Racist elements exists within every country, every society, every culture, and plague every demographic group. There is no avoiding it. In the past whites disliked non-whites, and that is still true with some today, but I also believe non-whites greatly dislike whites only because they still will not let the past die, and believe whites still dislike them. The cycle never ends. And racism exists not just within culture but institutionally in many ways as well. Not every white and not ever non-white is a racist but in some areas the dislike still runs strong. Even whites I have met still refer to blacks as "niggers", and blacks who refer to whites as "crackers".

OH MY GOD. THE BLACKIE CALLED ME A CRACKER. THIS IS RACISM!!!!!

Dude. Dude. Dude.

Protip: You probably don't understand the fact that racism still exists today, mostly perpetuated by the standard that white is more "beautiful", white is the "ideal", white is the "powerful". The only purpose of the "let the past die" is so that white people can ignore when not even a few generations ago, there was (and still is) a thorough system of anti-color in every aspect of American society. Do you think those people asking for Obama's birth certificate/college records are doing it for political reasons? No, they're racist ******** and people should call them out on it.

There are still advertisements to this day that show "high class" in a huge party, ROOM AFTER ROOM OF WHITE PEOPLE, with the ONLY person of color being some background black guy. And he was serving the white people ******** drinks. Don't give me the "let the past die" bullshit when this ******** s**t is being spewed on ******** television TO THIS DAY.

Alien Dog

17,850 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Voter 100
  • Mark Twain 100
Major Lima Charlie
Jessi Danger
Major Lima Charlie
Jessi Danger
scacchic
Just out of curiosity, how many of you believe whites face racism? Not just encountering people who are prejudiced and make stereotypical remarks about whites, but racism.

If those two things don't qualify as racism, then I'd wonder how many people encounter racism.... or what racism is.
Little something called power dynamics.

So basically we are all to buy into Pat Bidol and Judy Katz definition rather then the one that the rest of the English Speaking world understands.

Why exactly? O' right, so leftists can say racist things but conveniently declare it not racist maybe?
Yeah, sort of like how we should use the popular definition of "theory." We shouldn't let scientists dictate what the word means, but rather every Tom, d**k, and Jane.

Jargon is jargon for a reason. If the common people don't like that, it's too ******** bad. Get educated or don't complain.

funny, I never see you jumping in when people use "assault weapon," "assault rifle" and "machine gun" interchangeably, nor when people talk about "30, 60 or 100 round clips."

only when it's "theory" or the "-isms" being discussed are you concerned with technical uses of language versus the vernacular use.

or is it only important to discuss theory and the -isms properly, and the subject of firearms is not worth the time to learn properly?

Alien Dog

17,850 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Voter 100
  • Mark Twain 100
We Do Not Kneel
Jessi Danger
We Do Not Kneel
Jessi Danger

Why should Pat Bidol, Judy Katz, and Tim Wise preferred definition be the one we consider "educated?"

probably because they are educated.

Are they? Well congrats, they have a few people with their definition, they have teaching positions, so we decree that is the "educated," (A cypher for correct basically) Definition because obviously they must just know?

So without critical analysis or critical thought we are to take the works of Pat Bidol, Judy Katz, and Tim Wise as indisputable gospel fact?

well, since they're probably more eucated on the subject than you, i will take their word over yours. on the subject, of course. if they told me the moon is made of people or whatever i wouldn't.

SOYLENT MOON IS PEOPLE!
I believe in racism period. "Reverse" racism is bullshit. Racism is racism.

I AM R U's Spouse

Blessed Rogue

10,775 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Mega Tipsy 100
scacchic
Just out of curiosity, how many of you believe whites face racism?

Of course we do. Everyone does, to some degree or another. To think that we don't, simply because we're white, is itself racism, and thus self-fulfilling.

However, this is not "reverse racism". There's nothing "reverse" about racism.

Magical Girl

Keltoi Samurai
Major Lima Charlie
Jessi Danger
Major Lima Charlie
Jessi Danger
scacchic

If those two things don't qualify as racism, then I'd wonder how many people encounter racism.... or what racism is.

So basically we are all to buy into Pat Bidol and Judy Katz definition rather then the one that the rest of the English Speaking world understands.

Why exactly? O' right, so leftists can say racist things but conveniently declare it not racist maybe?
Yeah, sort of like how we should use the popular definition of "theory." We shouldn't let scientists dictate what the word means, but rather every Tom, d**k, and Jane.

Jargon is jargon for a reason. If the common people don't like that, it's too ******** bad. Get educated or don't complain.

funny, I never see you jumping in when people use "assault weapon," "assault rifle" and "machine gun" interchangeably, nor when people talk about "30, 60 or 100 round clips."

only when it's "theory" or the "-isms" being discussed are you concerned with technical uses of language versus the vernacular use.

or is it only important to discuss theory and the -isms properly, and the subject of firearms is not worth the time to learn properly?
[Informative]

Considering Lima made it a point she was pro-gun, I'm pretty sure she was a stickler about those, too.

I AM R U's Spouse

Blessed Rogue

10,775 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Mega Tipsy 100
HMS Thunder Child
Keltoi Samurai
Major Lima Charlie
Jessi Danger
Major Lima Charlie

[Informative]

Considering Lima made it a point she was pro-gun, I'm pretty sure she was a stickler about those, too.

[smug]
Evidence suggests the contrary.

Magical Girl

black_wing_angel
HMS Thunder Child
Keltoi Samurai
Major Lima Charlie
Jessi Danger
Major Lima Charlie

[Informative]

[smug]
Evidence suggests the contrary.
[Skeptical]

I suppose you'd have to take that up with her.
Eyerunny
Major Lima Charlie
Jessi Danger
Major Lima Charlie
Jessi Danger
Major Lima Charlie

We have the dictionary don't we?

Also the racism formula is not some authoritative academic jargon, it is literally the conjecture of a handful of social justice activists and a few professors scattered across the country.

Why should Pat Bidol, Judy Katz, and Tim Wise preferred definition be the one we consider "educated?"
The lay dictionary does not trump specific fields' jargon. Ever.

No, it is sociological standard. If you don't like it, tough ******** nuts.

I see BWA is rubbing off on you.
He's also fond of the "that's just the way it is" fallacy (bare assertion,) actual etymology of words be damned.

Well you see, some guys with college professorships said it, so its gotta be true. Nobody can challenge it because obviously via having a piece of paper, their dictations are beyond any form of reproach. Us mere plebeians can not question these ideas from on high. /sarcasm
It happens, whether people like to believe it or not.

Dangerous Sex Symbol

9,350 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Mark Twain 100
scacchic
Jessi Danger
scacchic

Racism is prejudice + power. It's systematic oppression. Whites are not systematically oppressed nor are people of color in a position of power over whites.

Question!
Why does an ideology require power to exist?
Racism is not oppression, systematic or otherwise. It is hatred. There's plenty of powerless racist bastards... pretty much everywhere.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff