Welcome to Gaia! ::

Shameless Heckler

12,225 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
One of the first things a person who benefits from racism does is to deny it is racism.

It's been demonstrated time and time again with numerous excuses and equivocations offered to anyone who dares to point out the bleeding obvious.
scacchic

So some people have negative perceptions towards you. What else?

Prejudice that they express to (mostly) white males. Those prejudices are based simply on their race (and sex). Having negative opinions about someone based solely on their race qualifies as racism in the eyes of most people that I've talked to. I don't think anyone should be complaining these days though. Not white males, not women, not black people. I'm pointing out that we all have it bad sometimes but that doesn't make it a social issue. Its just how life is. Unfair.
scacchic
Just out of curiosity, how many of you believe whites face racism? Not just encountering people who are prejudiced and make stereotypical remarks about whites, but racism.
I don't believe in a concept as silly as "reverse racism". The term itself doesn't make any sense. "racist" means you have opinions and make decisions based on someones race. Reverse usually means the opposite of something, so reverse racism would imply you're not racist. Why does that term even exist?
You're either racist or you're not racist, stop this nonsense about "reverse racism".

Profitable Gatekeeper

7,450 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Millionaire 200
Unless it's a system that hinders large groups of white people from succeeding in life (like being more likely to be thrown in jail and lose your chance of getting a decent job) you cannot place it on the same level. If someone thinks that a white person is ugly because of they have white traits, they can just look at our current beauty industry (our entire media, really) to get validation. No one else gets to do this. Also, you really have to look at the situation. Is it really "reverse racism" of just a reflection of the hatred shown towards them? For example, if someone lived in a town where the white people made a hobby out of throwing rocks at them and calling them a racial slur. They might want to avoid white people for certain safety reasons And inb4 someone tries to reverse the above scenario: You can at least be sure that the police wont blow you off if you call them. The system is more likely going to be on your side before anyone else's. I'm not saying you can't experience racism, just that you can't put on the same level because that instance of racism probably isn't backed up by our entire culture.
Kaltros
Eh? How about China, Japan, and India? Those three make up a huge chunk of the world population right there. And all three have ruled themselves in recent years. China is even starting to economically colonize parts of Africa.

Political power is only one part of it, and even then, consider how much ability America has to push those governments around even now. American culture is also amazingly pervasive - for example I'm pretty sure that even Indians themselves call their lucrative film industry "Bollywood" just as Americans do, in imitation of the US industry's nickname.

But I have no doubt there are places in each of those nations where there is enough non-white power, in terms of not just political independence but wealth and cultural independence, to disadvantage whites despite those far-reaching advantages. Probably mostly cities, where wealth and cultural power tend to gather.
Major Lima Charlie
Eyerunny
Major Lima Charlie
Jessi Danger
Major Lima Charlie
Yeah, sort of like how we should use the popular definition of "theory." We shouldn't let scientists dictate what the word means, but rather every Tom, d**k, and Jane.

Jargon is jargon for a reason. If the common people don't like that, it's too ******** bad. Get educated or don't complain.

We have the dictionary don't we?

Also the racism formula is not some authoritative academic jargon, it is literally the conjecture of a handful of social justice activists and a few professors scattered across the country.

Why should Pat Bidol, Judy Katz, and Tim Wise preferred definition be the one we consider "educated?"
The lay dictionary does not trump specific fields' jargon. Ever.

No, it is sociological standard. If you don't like it, tough ******** nuts.

I see BWA is rubbing off on you.
He's also fond of the "that's just the way it is" fallacy (bare assertion,) actual etymology of words be damned.
No, this is me countering appeal to popularity. Argument ad populum. It's fallacious.

With an appeal to authority? Which is also a logical fallacy since you haven't backed up the racism formula with anything other then the notion that some people are an authority on the subject and their word is to be taken without critical analysis.

Okay, so your claiming the vast legions of people are uneducated and that the racism formula is simply the correct educated definition. The problem with that is that there exists a presumption that prescriptive language here can be used in an apolitical way, which it can't.

Saying "Well some scholars favor this, so it is right," is itself a logical fallacy and blatantly trying to beat us over the head with prescriptive language.
white people are just as frequently victimized by racism as non white people. The reality is demographics. Where the minority is, the minority is scorned. Many of the European wars in the last 40 years were white vs white people, but they were still racist - just ask any Bosnian. In large swaths of California, whole communities will act in concert to keep white people out. Pretending that because your race is oppressed that it is superior, and elsewhere where it holds the majority does not act the same way - that kind of delusion makes for excellent rhetoricians but terrible for functional human beings who need to live in reality.
Jesus you guys can't even stay on the main topic of discussion because your getting so particular about every detail and wasting time trying to define something that doesn't physically exist.

I'll just keep this simple and straightforward instead of trying to pretend like I am an overly educated douchebag who just took took sociology 101

Whites don't really sufferer from "racism" as in being hated for the color of their skin. Honestly most other countries think whites are very beautiful and look perfect. However they may be hated depending on what country they come from....like Americans...

Angelic Husband

11,300 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Popular Thread 100
There is no "reverse racism", just racism. Reverse racism implies only minorities suffer racists, when there are racists of all creeds

Conservative Genius

8,925 Points
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Partygoer 500
Someone doesn't know the story of Malcolm X...

Wheezing Gawker

9,950 Points
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Tycoon 200
  • First step to fame 200
ARK3R
scacchic

So some people have negative perceptions towards you. What else?

Prejudice that they express to (mostly) white males. Those prejudices are based simply on their race (and sex). Having negative opinions about someone based solely on their race qualifies as racism in the eyes of most people that I've talked to. I don't think anyone should be complaining these days though. Not white males, not women, not black people. I'm pointing out that we all have it bad sometimes but that doesn't make it a social issue. Its just how life is. Unfair.
whites consider it racism but I consider it finally being treated like everyone else. Also a few times I have either sat down at a table and hand racial slurs thrown at me or just walking by and having racial slurs thrown at me. Also you can go online and find many many many black hating cites but I fail to find one white hating site.
Booty Tickle

whites consider it racism but I consider it finally being treated like everyone else.

Blacks have had their rights for a very long time now. It wasn't us who were brought down to their level but they who were brought up everyone else's.

Booty Tickle

Also a few times I have either sat down at a table and hand racial slurs thrown at me or just walking by and having racial slurs thrown at me.

So have I. If calling a black person the "N" word is racist then I've had the white equivalent. Multiple times I've been called "Cracker" by groups of black people as I walk by.

Booty Tickle

Also you can go online and find many many many black hating cites but I fail to find one white hating site.

I don't believe that for a second. The internet can access HUGE amounts of data. You mean to tell me that if I googled and searched I wouldn't find a group that is racist against white people? Plus, there are people like the "Black panthers" which is pretty much the black equivalent to the "KKK".

Wheezing Gawker

9,950 Points
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Tycoon 200
  • First step to fame 200
ARK3R
Booty Tickle

whites consider it racism but I consider it finally being treated like everyone else.

Blacks have had their rights for a very long time now. It wasn't us who were brought down to their level but they who were brought up everyone else's.

Booty Tickle

Also a few times I have either sat down at a table and hand racial slurs thrown at me or just walking by and having racial slurs thrown at me.

So have I. If calling a black person the "N" word is racist then I've had the white equivalent. Multiple times I've been called "Cracker" by groups of black people as I walk by.

Booty Tickle

Also you can go online and find many many many black hating cites but I fail to find one white hating site.

I don't believe that for a second. The internet can access HUGE amounts of data. You mean to tell me that if I googled and searched I wouldn't find a group that is racist against white people? Plus, there are people like the "Black panthers" which is pretty much the black equivalent to the "KKK".
Honestly I have googled " I hate white people" (which I promise I don't) Just to see if any white hatred sites came up, just for this argument. Maybe your googling skills are better than mine but I've never found one.

Eloquent Elocutionist

6,050 Points
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200
The only differences between a "majority" or "minority" person being the victim of prejudice are scale and region. People who argue that the very nature of it is different because of their roles are woefully off-base.
I think she meant institutionalized racism, you gais.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff