Welcome to Gaia! ::

Unholy Abomination

22,350 Points
  • Sunny Side Up 100
  • Abomination 100
  • Conventioneer 300
black_wing_angel

My point is only that it does happen. Whites can be, and sometimes are victims to racism.

My point is what you consider "racism" is borne out of the fact that you're so privileged that you simply can't differentiate it from other forms of non-racist a*****e-ness. A cop was a jerk to you one time? Join the club pal. But in your mind the only reason this could have ever possibly happened ever is "racism," even though the facts of your story say otherwise.

Quote:
They had strongly considered it. But in the end, most of them just decided "******** them..." and moved on to bigger and brighter things. Just didn't think it'd be worth the hassle. Especially the price for a lawyer and court costs.

No. They were smarter than that.

Promotions? No. They pretty much kept people where they were, presumably to keep them doing what they already know, while "fixing up" the place.

So if all the people just quit, the management didn't use racial slurs, and the black employees didn't get preferential treatment....THEN HOW THE HELL IS THAT RACIST?

black_wing_angel
But they certainly did fire white people. Mostly for bullshit reasons. In fact, my own family member quit while on "suspension" (a step in the process). Her crime? Gossiping. Except that she was gossiping AT HOME, on her own time. That's not legal grounds for disciplinary action at work. And she only quit, because she was fed up with the bullshit, and wanted to get out, while she could still do it voluntarily. My family take pride in the fact that most of us have never been fired from any job. And she wasn't going to let them be her first.

Once again, evidence that your privilege is clouding your judgement. Usually when someone buys an established business it's because the business isn't doing so well in the first place, correct? Have you considered the fact that the people who got fired were ******** ups who needed to be fired?

Hey all the new employees are black. Well is this hotel in a black neighborhood? Is it the same neighborhood where you got racially profiled-but-not-really by the cops?

What you're describing is nothing new, and it happens in all business, of every type. When new management comes in they shake things up, and usually like to trim the fat, and bring in new people, especially in retail/service jobs that have a high turnover rate to begin with. What your'e describing I've seen happen a million times - but none of those instances were because of racism.

And thus far, nothing you've told me seems to imply this is because of racism either, beyond "All the new people they hired were black." I've worked in places where 99% of the staff were latinos - yet that wasn't because the management was racist.

Quote:
Because it was ONLY white people. And for "crimes" that the black employees were equally guilty of. The person my family member was gossiping with, outside of work? She was black. She was not so much as "talked to", but my family member was outright suspended.

The problem here is "How do I know?" You're a person who thinks that simply getting stopped by the cops, when you're a white person in a black neighborhood is "racial profiling." Maybe the black employee didn't actually do the things you thought. Maybe they got reprimanded too but didn't make a big deal out of it. Maybe the white people who got fired were just ******** ups who showed up late all the time. Maybe the manager simply didn't like their attitude? I'm going to assume you live in a "At will" state, correct? That means the management can fire someone for any reason at all, whatsoever, including "gossiping about staff." Doesn't matter where it happens, that's a perfectly valid reason to fire someone.

But no, it must be racism. No other reason.

black_wing_angel

Not "gothic" specifically. Except my studded wrist-band, which I was not wearing that day. Just a decent pair of blue jeans, and a tee shirt. Nothing "suspicious" or otherwise noteworthy.

I suppose they could, if they wanted to appeal to certain stereotypes. Which is absolutely not ok. The fact is, he had no probable cause to stop and question me. Least of all, to berate me, and treat me like a criminal.

So you do dress in black T-shirts with metal bands and s**t on them and jeans, i.e. you look like a kid, i.e. you look like someone who might possibly be there to buy drugs. Probable cause has been established.

I love how the more details we get about your stories, the less racist they become.

black_wing_angel

But they can't stop and harass random individuals on a hunch. I was doing nothing suspicious. He had no grounds to stop me, and treat me like some 2 bit criminal, when I had done nothing. I was just walking. On the sidewalk. In broad daylight, on a glorious morning. That does not constitute probable cause for anything.

Incorrect, they can and will do this, all the time, all over the country, for whatever reason they deem meets "probable cause." The probable cause in this case could have been any number of things. My "drug buyer" theory is only one possible explanation. Maybe someone matched your description? Maybe they had reports of home invasion robbers wearing your clothes. Maybe you look like someone else they were looking for.

But no, the police wouldn't ever ever ever in a million years think you could be a criminal. Must be racism.

Quote:
Well, when you're stopped for doing exactly nothing except being a racial minority, and furthermore, when you're treated like a scumbag for absolutely no reason, that's...well...pretty likely to give off racial tones.

Did the cop use racial slurs, when he was 'harassing' you? No? Then guess what - not racist. Simply an a*****e cop. Like I said, join the club.

Quote:

I don't pretend to be straight up to date on the legal end of the deal, but I'm fairly sure that the suspect has a right to know what they're being suspected of.

Incorrect, the police have no obligation to inform you about any details of an investigation they may be doing. Telling you why they stopped you is a professional courtesy, not a requirement.

Quote:

Not specifically "made fun of" it. But he did ask me, and when I told him, he remarked about how "that's not even enough to buy the gas to get you back to where you came from".

If he would have said "that's not even enough to buy the gas to get you back to where you came from, you white-devil cracker-a** honkey ********," then that would be racist. Otherwise, a*****e, cop, join, club.

Quote:

I'm fairly sure that's exactly why. But that's not ok. He had no probable cause to suspect it. Just a white boy with long hair. That is not probable cause for anything. Including the assumption of being a pot-head.

Incorrect. Just you being in that neighborhood dressed like a kid who might do drugs is probable cause.

Quote:

Yeah, actually assuming a white person must be a pot-head because he has long hair, is rather racist.

Please, don't tell me about the long hair, ok kid? You don't know the half of it. But no, this is not racist. Do you look like a like one of those death rocker, metal-head, hesher types that might want to smoke weed or snort coke? Do they sell drugs in this area? Yes or no?

Quote:
Do you think anyone looks sideways at a Native American with long hair? Are they assumed to be drug addicts based solely on the length of their hair? Not generally. But if you're white, suddenly you have to be doped up. Apparently white men's hair doesn't grow past the ear-lobe, except as a by-product of THC.

But we aren't talking about Native Americans, we're talking about you, a long-haired white boy dressed up with black metal T-shirts and s**t, walking around in an all black neighborhood where they possibly sell drugs. Why is it just suddenly racist to suspect such an individual might be up to no good?

Quote:

2 extremely different locations. My sister was pulled over in our hometown, which is very diverse. I was stopped in a town where white people are such a minority, that the vast majority of them are damn near universally recognizable.

Doesn't change the fact that if this cop was polite to you, then you wouldn't be crying "racism."

Like I said, just an a*****e cop - join the club.

Quote:

Yeah, just like that Trayvon Martin kid. Walking through a predominately white gated community, armed to the teeth with skittles and iced tea. It was his fault, for being out of place...

But George Zimmerman wasn't a cop, was he? You didn't get blown away by an overzealous wannabe racist vigilante, did you? We don't have audio of the cops in your case using a racial slurr, do we?

You know, a few posts ago you were complaining that I was comparing your weaksause episodes of racism, to other racism. Well now you're comparing your example - in which some cops made fun of you, then let you go, to an instance where a kid was walking in a neighborhood where he lived and was shot by some random racist a*****e. Like I said, not even close to the same thing.

Quote:

Ah. So you actively promote racial profiling.

So if a black kid walked down a predominately white neighborhood, you'd advocate the cops stop him, frisk him, inquire the content of their wallet, and generally treat them like a ******** felon, because "He's a racial minority here. He's out of place. Of COURSE the cops are going to be suspicious!"

Just answer the question please. Do people sell drugs in this area? Yes or no?

The rest of your s**t is just the same stuff, repeated over and over. You're simply delusional, and so privileged that you cannot understand how someone could be an a*****e to you, so it must be racism. Like I said before, it happens, but just not as prevalent, systematic, widespread, or institutional.

One more descriptor I'd like to add to that is "damaging."
Victoire Royale Chevrette

I like jumping into stuff I'm not apart of.

Look, there's a time in every one white persons life they are going to be hated/disliked by someone who isn't white due to their race. It's just gonna happen. And there's a time when a person who isn't white is going to be hated for not being white. So, yes, white people can experience that type of racism. That type of racism is not going to go away because people are dicks and will find whatever reason they can to hate someone. Yes. White people experience that type of racism. There you go.

So the actual definition of racism is unchanged? The original post implies that the definition of racism is something other then the definition that has been agreed to for a fairly long time.

The racism most non-white people are talking about is institutional, which is a modifier. This is separate from racism. Non-whites experience racism and institution racism. Institutional racism refers to the fact that history has put non-whites at a disadvantage. How so? Whites have had over 500 centuries of time, cultivating legacies and riches, while non-whites in America were subjected to being slaves or routinely denied even access to the same jobs. Let us not sit here and deny the racism of the past and let us not sit here and deny that the past affects the present. And the past continues to affect us. It's why you don't find many white people talking about how upset they are with the color of their skin while you can go down a predominately black neighborhood and pick at least 5 households on one side of the block with issues with their color.

Well, lets ask? Who or what is White? Who qualifies as white is a fairly changing thing. Just in the last 150 years in the US, Irish, Polish, and Italians went from being unwashed "mud folk" to White people, Went from "no Irish need apply," to this. Or in the case of Spanish people, has my status ever been addressed by this country?

It seems institutional racism has been spread around to many people other then former slaves. Especially since the definition of who is White is an ever changing thing.

Yeah, we can chant and sing all day that we just have a preference for lighter skin tones, but, kid, white people tried to distance themselves from folks of other races, particularly black people, all ******** day and night, citing the color of their skin, shape of nose, and type of jawline as reasons for dehumanization. All those years of scientific publications citing the reasons why it was okay to treat folks as subhuman didn't just wash away, even if we deemed these things wrong, because the years of teaching us that something was unattractive is still there and it's hard to undo something like that.

Okkkaaaayyyyyy I'm not sure what this has to do with the definition of racism.

So, to answer your question, yes. Not quite MOVING the same way, changes the definition of the ******** circumstance. Walking is not running. It's not changing the definition, it's just a whole 'nother thing.

Yes, Racism is a thing, an institution doing a racist thing is a thing, a person doing a racist thing is a thing. It seems the English language has plenty of ways of describing events that happen to people.

Do you understand the fact the word 'racism' came first. Then 'reverse' was added. And that the general consensus for 'reverse racism' is that someone hates white people. from this, we can conclude that 'racism' was first seen as something that only white people can perpetuate. therefore, 'reverse' was added, because white person oppressing a non-white person was standard. There are these neat things called connotations, not found in dictionaries. We just need to stop using the phrase since people are ******** nit-picking about 'BUT AREN'T U BEING RACIST TO SUGGEST ONLY WHITE PEOPLE CAN BE RACIST???!!!??' like, shut the hell up, the phrase is pulled from history and was primarily used by white people themselves, pissed as ******** about the African American fight for rights. Blame 1950s America. CONNOTATIONS AND HISTORY RULE LANGUAGE. ... I'm not yelling at you, btw, I'm just saying and venting, it's a pet peeve of mine.

Reverse was added after the 70's If I recall from my readings. Mainly because it became fashionable in academia to take the works of Pat Bidol and Judy Katz seriously. It came about because two people intended to redefine racism as something that only happens to black people. Pat Bidol sort of crafted out of thin air the idea that only white people could be racist, some people point out that that is an unjustified redefinition and politically self serving as it is not politically neutral. After all, Racism and Racist carry the biggest sting in our society. Declaring entire classes of people immune from being called Racist or having Racism, is effectively making any action that would conventionally be considered Racist done by a member of said class of people effectively "less bad," or even "acceptable."

You may vent as you please but I sense you don't have a good grasp on the history here.

Your story? Yes. That's a racist crime. Does it compare to institutional racism? No. Is it still bad? Yes - just not as. A broken bone is not a tumor, although they are both serious, one is more so than the other, medically speaking. In essence, it's like Susie complaining someone stole her toy while Mark slipped and got a gash in his knee - no one cares, Susie. No one cares.

Ah, so we still have a sliding scale of bad. Alright, accept it seems the same events happen to both Susie and Mark, accept if it happens to Mark its a tragedy but if it happens to Susie nobody cares. And we wonder why Susie doesn't give two shits about Mark.
scacchic
Just out of curiosity, how many of you believe whites face racism? Not just encountering people who are prejudiced and make stereotypical remarks about whites, but racism.

It's not a question of whether or not you believe in, it's a question of whether or not it happens. I work inner city, and I can tell you right now I get a lot of disrespect from colored people because I'm white.

It's rather annoying and hypocritical in my opinion.

I AM R U's Spouse

Blessed Rogue

10,775 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Mega Tipsy 100
Hawanja
black_wing_angel

My point is only that it does happen. Whites can be, and sometimes are victims to racism.

My point is what you consider "racism" is borne out of the fact that you're so privileged that you simply can't differentiate it from other forms of non-racist a*****e-ness.

No it's not. It's just that anything that happens to a white man, people instantly assume it can't be related to race. But if the same happens to a black man or other minority, they're much quicker to accept it as racially motivated.

Quote:
A cop was a jerk to you one time? Join the club pal. But in your mind the only reason this could have ever possibly happened ever is "racism," even though the facts of your story say otherwise.

No they don't. There's no reason for a cop to have stopped to "check me out", except racial reasons. Possibly my hair being part of it. But that's just it. It seems that people are quick to assume that a white man with long hair, must be a druggie. Had I been Native American, nobody would give me a second look, for having hair to my a**. It's a racial double standard.

Quote:
They had strongly considered it. But in the end, most of them just decided "******** them..." and moved on to bigger and brighter things. Just didn't think it'd be worth the hassle. Especially the price for a lawyer and court costs.

No. They were smarter than that.

Promotions? No. They pretty much kept people where they were, presumably to keep them doing what they already know, while "fixing up" the place.

So if all the people just quit, the management didn't use racial slurs, and the black employees didn't get preferential treatment....THEN HOW THE HELL IS THAT RACIST?

Because they were fired for being white.

Quote:
black_wing_angel
But they certainly did fire white people. Mostly for bullshit reasons. In fact, my own family member quit while on "suspension" (a step in the process). Her crime? Gossiping. Except that she was gossiping AT HOME, on her own time. That's not legal grounds for disciplinary action at work. And she only quit, because she was fed up with the bullshit, and wanted to get out, while she could still do it voluntarily. My family take pride in the fact that most of us have never been fired from any job. And she wasn't going to let them be her first.

Once again, evidence that your privilege is clouding your judgement. Usually when someone buys an established business it's because the business isn't doing so well in the first place, correct?

In this case? No. It was the single best hotel in the entire region, revenue-wise. It wasn't bought because it was s**t, and needed turning around. It was bought because it was a wise investment. Although it didn't stay that way...

Quote:
Have you considered the fact that the people who got fired were ******** ups who needed to be fired?

Seeing as how I know all of them, and can tell you with no uncertainty that they were pretty top-notch workers, I can rule that out.

Quote:
Hey all the new employees are black. Well is this hotel in a black neighborhood?

Nope. Not in a "neighborhood" at all. It was located in a commercial zone, not residential.

Quote:
Is it the same neighborhood where you got racially profiled-but-not-really by the cops?

Not even the same city.

Quote:
And thus far, nothing you've told me seems to imply this is because of racism either, beyond "All the new people they hired were black." I've worked in places where 99% of the staff were latinos - yet that wasn't because the management was racist.

See, what you're doing, is you're intentionally avoiding specific information, so that it seems too vague.

No, hiring ONLY blacks, is not specifically racist. But when you fire all of the white people for false reasons SO THAT YOU CAN hire blacks...well...that's pretty goddamn racist.

There's nothing any white employee ever did, that the black employees didn't. But only the white employees were reprimanded for them. And most of the things reprimanded for, aren't even legally viable. Gossiping with fellow employees in the comfort of your own home, can not legally be used to discipline them at work. But my family member was suspended, and several others fired for it. But the black woman that my family member was gossiping to? Not even a slap on the wrist. Although she ended up quitting several months later, due to the principle of the matter. She only stayed long enough to secure another job.

Quote:
Quote:
Because it was ONLY white people. And for "crimes" that the black employees were equally guilty of. The person my family member was gossiping with, outside of work? She was black. She was not so much as "talked to", but my family member was outright suspended.

The problem here is "How do I know?" You're a person who thinks that simply getting stopped by the cops, when you're a white person in a black neighborhood is "racial profiling."

emotion_facepalm Stop intentionally misrepresenting me. It's not so much the fact that I was just stopped. It's all the bullshit I was put through WHILE stopped. But you've already made up your mind that because I'm white, I can't be subjected to racial mistreatment, and will make any excuse you can for the instigators, regardless of any details I bring. Because you only see me as a "privileged" white person.

Quote:
Incorrect. Just you being in that neighborhood dressed like a kid who might do drugs is probable cause.

Ok, now I just plain can't tolerate your bullshit, any further. You're fine with the idea that it's ok for cops to stereotype people? How well does that work in reverse? Is it ok for a cop to stop a black man wearing a wife beater and jeans 2 sizes too big, just because he "looks" like a criminal, according to stereotypes?

No, stereotypes do not constitute probable cause.

I AM R U's Spouse

Blessed Rogue

10,775 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Mega Tipsy 100
Transitarian
scacchic
Just out of curiosity, how many of you believe whites face racism? Not just encountering people who are prejudiced and make stereotypical remarks about whites, but racism.

It's not a question of whether or not you believe in, it's a question of whether or not it happens. I work inner city, and I can tell you right now I get a lot of disrespect from colored people because I'm white.

Yes it is. And because you're white, nobody cares.

Welcome to "equality", amirite?
black_wing_angel
Transitarian
scacchic

Oh I know, they whine and cry about being discriminated against, but they'll turn right around and treat white people like crap, and gay people like beasts. It's disgusting in my opinion.

I AM R U's Spouse

Blessed Rogue

10,775 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Mega Tipsy 100
Transitarian
black_wing_angel
Transitarian
scacchic

Oh I know, they whine and cry about being discriminated against, but they'll turn right around and treat white people like crap, and gay people like beasts. It's disgusting in my opinion.

Yes, hypocritical and ignorant. I think we know where our next generation of politicians is going to come from, huh?
black_wing_angel
Transitarian
black_wing_angel
Transitarian
scacchic

Yes, hypocritical and ignorant. I think we know where our next generation of politicians is going to come from, huh?

I can only hope that the people who come after the politicians today are open-minded and willing to give people true equality and the rights that they deserve, no matter what race, creed, religion or otherwise.
Isn't reverse racism the same as forward racism? Discriminating against one because of color is the same thing everywhere. And I think every race experiences it in some degree. Certainly white people have much less to deal with in terms of racism but I'll bet you there's some group who've dedicated themselves to hating whites.
Transitarian
scacchic

I worked in the ghettos of L.A. and the only problems I had were from Hispanics. The blacks gave me no problems on calls at all and respected us as medics. The Hispanics though would treat us like s**t and when there was a language barrier they would act like it was our fault we didn't speak spanish fluently. I've also had Hispanic punks straight up attack my ambulance while taking someone out of the area as well as make threatening signs towards me. I never had a problem with blacks and they were always appreciative when we came to help. I would say I have never met a black that felt entitled for me to owe them something and were always appreciative when I helped. I will however say the Hispanics (Many illegal mind you since this is California) treated me like I owed them the American dream and I should fear them because I wore a uniform and drove an ambulance.

Unholy Abomination

22,350 Points
  • Sunny Side Up 100
  • Abomination 100
  • Conventioneer 300
black_wing_angel

No it's not. It's just that anything that happens to a white man, people instantly assume it can't be related to race. But if the same happens to a black man or other minority, they're much quicker to accept it as racially motivated.

Except that in real life the examples you've posted of racism against yourself for being white seem to have less and less to do with actual racism the more details we get from you about them. It's not because you're white, it's because you're a crybaby.

Quote:

No they don't. There's no reason for a cop to have stopped to "check me out", except racial reasons. Possibly my hair being part of it. But that's just it. It seems that people are quick to assume that a white man with long hair, must be a druggie. Had I been Native American, nobody would give me a second look, for having hair to my a**. It's a racial double standard.

I told your a** not to talk to me about the hair. I had hair down to my middle back for eight years. I am well aware of how simply having long hair changes the assumptions people make of you. During that time, people tended to treat me like a punk, especially cops. One time I got yelled at by a cop and threatened with arrest and a good a** kicking for simply trying to ask him a question. I now have short hair - and guess what? People no longer automatically assume I'm a stoner.

So yes, the fact that you were a white person, in a black neighborhood, by yourself, and that you look like a stoner, is probable cause. Hence, not racist.

Quote:
Because they were fired for being white.

But nothing you have told us supports this view. You've told us:

1) The Black employees didn't get preferential treatment - they didn't get promotions, pay raises, vacations, etc that the white employees didn't get.
2) Racial terms or slurs were not used, management didn't harass anyone about race.
3) Most of the people who worked there, including your sister, quit of their own choice.

So where exactly does the "racism" part come in? This is what you've said, correct? Or do I have to start pulling quotes from your own posts?

Quote:

In this case? No. It was the single best hotel in the entire region, revenue-wise. It wasn't bought because it was s**t, and needed turning around. It was bought because it was a wise investment. Although it didn't stay that way...

Why exactly would someone sell "the single best hotel in the entire region?" If it's making money, why dump it? Of course, I can't verify this because you won't tell me the name of the place, so really this is totally irrelevant.

Quote:

Seeing as how I know all of them, and can tell you with no uncertainty that they were pretty top-notch workers, I can rule that out.

Nope - you think they were top notch workers. You don't know what management thought about their skills. Just because you think these were good people (keeping in mind these are your friends) doesn't mean jack squat.

Quote:

Nope. Not in a "neighborhood" at all. It was located in a commercial zone, not residential.

Stop dodging the question. Were the surrounding neighborhoods black? Are the people who live in the area mostly black? Because it would make sense then that the people who got jobs there would be black, wouldn't it? But since you won't tell me where this is, then I guess it's irrelevant, isn't it?

Quote:

Not even the same city.

Good. This actually would have supported your position, you realize. I'm trying to help you out here, but every detail you give me makes your statement that much more unbelievable.

Quote:

See, what you're doing, is you're intentionally avoiding specific information, so that it seems too vague.

No, hiring ONLY blacks, is not specifically racist. But when you fire all of the white people for false reasons SO THAT YOU CAN hire blacks...well...that's pretty goddamn racist.

You're the one supplying the info here, not me. And how do you know the white employees were fired for false reasons? These people were your friends, were they not? Don't you think that might just pepper your judgement, just a little bit?

Oh hell no, you can't have any bias, right? It must be racism.

Quote:
There's nothing any white employee ever did, that the black employees didn't. But only the white employees were reprimanded for them. And most of the things reprimanded for, aren't even legally viable. Gossiping with fellow employees in the comfort of your own home, can not legally be used to discipline them at work. But my family member was suspended, and several others fired for it. But the black woman that my family member was gossiping to? Not even a slap on the wrist. Although she ended up quitting several months later, due to the principle of the matter. She only stayed long enough to secure another job.

First off, It's irrelevant as to who did what. What is relevant when it comes to keeping a job is the impression that management has of you. If your boss likes you and thinks you're an asset, they'll keep you - and 99% of the time it doesn't matter what color you are.

Secondly, you are incorrect. You can be fired for any reason at all, whatsoever. Doesn't matter if your sister's gossiping was outside of work. Is she disrupting the workplace environment with her actions? Then yes, she can be reprimanded, and fired. I assume you live in the south somewhere, in an "at-will" state?

Third - the fact that the black employee later quit also just makes your contention that much more unbelievable. You know what would have been racist? If she got promoted after that, or got a pay raise for no reason, or if the boss took her aside and said "I don't want you talking to those cracker-a** honkeys." Not she stayed in the same shitty position then eventually left.

Like I said before, four times now - your contention of what is racism and what isn't is very muddled.

Quote:

emotion_facepalm Stop intentionally misrepresenting me. It's not so much the fact that I was just stopped. It's all the bullshit I was put through WHILE stopped. But you've already made up your mind that because I'm white, I can't be subjected to racial mistreatment, and will make any excuse you can for the instigators, regardless of any details I bring. Because you only see me as a "privileged" white person.

What you can't comprehend is that everybody goes through that kind of bullshit when they get stopped by cops, especially if you're a guy wearing black metal T-shirts and long hair who looks like he might be in the area to buy ******** drugs. You think you're the only guy who's ever been ******** with by cops? Like I said, join the ******** club, pal. But everything you've told us so far says this didn't ******** happen to you because you're white.

Quote:
Ok, now I just plain can't tolerate your bullshit, any further. You're fine with the idea that it's ok for cops to stereotype people? How well does that work in reverse? Is it ok for a cop to stop a black man wearing a wife beater and jeans 2 sizes too big, just because he "looks" like a criminal, according to stereotypes?

No, stereotypes do not constitute probable cause.

Incorrect - what you look like and where you are does constitute probable cause.This is what police do, question people to try and find criminals. You're simply so privileged that you cannot comprehend how anyone could think such a thing of yourself, hence you blame it on imaginary racism. In real life what you're describing happens all the time, all over the country. Are ALL the cops racist?

6,350 Points
  • Hunter 50
  • Healer 50
  • Survivor 150
I don't see why it bloody matters which race is being racist. The fact is that any ethnicity or blend of ethnicity can suffer racism, and every case is just as important as the other, regardless of how common or who the victim/perpetrator is.

Racism against blacks is more common in white neighborhoods. Racism against whites is more common in black neighborhoods. Both are problematic.
There is no such thing as "reverse racism".

At all.

Racism is racism: thinking one race is better than the other. Any race can do this, and any race can be the subject of this; it's not something that white people created. "Reverse racism" is a ridiculous term.

Racism has been around probably since even before white people existed. Racism exists in Africa between different peoples, all of whom we'd call black. Racism existed and still exists between the Japanese, Chinese, and Koreans. Mixed people experience racism from all sides of their blood. And, it's not like it's a secret that quite a few blacks and Native Americans were outspoken about their hatred for the black man.

As for institutionalized anti-white racism? No, I don't think it exists, either. I do know that affirmative action exists, though, but I also know that it's tapering off from its height back in the days post-Civil Rights Movement. It's runs its course, and it's done what it's needed to do. I wouldn't consider it an issue anymore.
scacchic
from blue to
It almost seems like you think distinguishing mistreatment of white people based on race from racist treatment of others will make it less wrong.

Maybe I worded my question wrong. I'm asking if anyone here believes white people are systematically oppressed by blacks, Latinos, Asians, etc on the basis of their skin color.

Definition: Oppression

fact: non-whites are racist against whites and other non-whites
fact: non-whites oppress whites and other non-whites
fact: racist people oppress others because of said racism
fact: skin color dictates no action

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items