• Forum Regular 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Conversationalist 100
Jessi Danger
The Herald of War
Jessi Danger
The Herald of War
Jessi Danger

Well I'd think it bares mentioning that if the same situation had happened but it was a predominately black work force that was force that was fired, there would be utter outrage and accusations of racism flowing with utter abandon.

What 'same situation'? We don't even have any DETAILS about his claim. How many employees were there? How does he know they quit before being fired? Where is he getting this information from, and why should this source be trusted? For all we know it's some buddy of his who thinks he got fired for being white and is now seeing racism in everything.

Well, let us take the person at their word. Is not the situation an example of racism?

No let's not take the person at their word.

So your avoiding the question.

No, I am not avoiding it. I am not entertaining fanciful notions that BWA is somehow a reliable and trusthworthy source.

Quote:

Racism has, for you at least, a conditional definition. Something is only racism depending on who it happens to?

I didn't say that. Would you like some persecution to go with your persecution complex?

Quote:

I will point out that is not the definition agreed upon by society, nor is it the one that treats all people fairly.

You mean the definition you made up on my behalf so you could get off on feeling persecuted?
The Herald of War

You mean the definition you made up on my behalf so you could get off on feeling persecuted?

First, lets cool the pretentious attitude shall we? You have no idea my ethnicity, what I look like, or where I stand in society.

I go by the conventional definition of racism agreed to by society, long before Pat Bidol, Judy Katz or Tim Wise sought to engineer a new one. One I feel is a blatantly political one that makes little sense and has little actual justification or descriptive power.

The Herald of War

I didn't say that. Would you like some persecution to go with your persecution complex?

Did I claim you were persecuting me? Is it possible to have this discussion without hurt feelings?

I never said I was white, black, brown or a dark elf, I simply poses a question.

This defensive attitude is baseless and I ask you to cease with it.

The Herald of War

No, I am not avoiding it. I am not entertaining fanciful notions that BWA is somehow a reliable and trusthworthy source.

Okay, lets play a word game,

Let us assume there is a small company with 25 employees, 5 managers and 1 boss/owner. The boss sells the company to a new boss. The company has currently 17 white employees, 5 Hispanic employees and 3 black employees. 4 of the five managers are white, 1 is Hispanic. The previous boss was white, the next boss is black. Now for this scenario, the last boss did not necessarily employ people with ensuring ethnic diversity in mind. It was pretty much a merit system, or likely who would offer the most work for the cheapest wage. The next boss however has a mind towards social justice, a fine college grad, and decides he will lay off the mostly white staff to hire more peoples of color. He feels white people have enough jobs and he wants to hire mostly black people.

Now, wouldn't this be defined as a racist action? The new boss is laying people off based on their ethnic origins, and hiring people based on their ethnic origins. Granted her has a seemingly "nice," justification for it, but still would it not fit the conventional definition of racism? If not, why? And also what would be a better definition of racism and why?

I AM R U's Spouse

Blessed Rogue

10,775 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Mega Tipsy 100
The Herald of War
Jessi Danger
The Herald of War
Jessi Danger
The Herald of War

What 'same situation'? We don't even have any DETAILS about his claim. How many employees were there? How does he know they quit before being fired? Where is he getting this information from, and why should this source be trusted? For all we know it's some buddy of his who thinks he got fired for being white and is now seeing racism in everything.

Well, let us take the person at their word. Is not the situation an example of racism?

No let's not take the person at their word.

So your avoiding the question.

Ah, so it's a crusade against me. If I say the Earth is round, you'll assume it's triangular, simply to spite me, for some unknown reason.

You're pathetic, Herald. You really are.

Dedicated Reveler

4,000 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Conversationalist 100
Jessi Danger
The Herald of War

First, lets cool the pretentious attitude shall we? You have no idea my ethnicity, what I look like, or where I stand in society.

> Makes up definition to put in my mouth
> Cries that I'm being pretentious.

So why don't you cool the idiocy before whining? You didn't bother to figure out any definition of mine before talking about it, why you do expect more respect? Oh right you think because you're white you deserve more respect.

Quote:

I go by the conventional definition of racism agreed to by society, long before Pat Bidol, Judy Katz or Tim Wise sought to engineer a new one. One I feel is a blatantly political one that makes little sense and has little actual justification or descriptive power.

You blather on endlessly about things I didn't say.

The Herald of War

Did I claim you were persecuting me? Is it possible to have this discussion without hurt feelings?

I don't know, you seem very easy to hurt because of your persecution complex.

Quote:

I never said I was white, black, brown or a dark elf, I simply poses a question.

Liar. You spoke about my definition when I provided none. You did more than pose a question.

Quote:

Putting words in my mouth was baseless, stop whining.

Waiting on you to eat crow before you get any answers.
The Herald of War
Jessi Danger
The Herald of War

> Makes up definition to put in my mouth
> Cries that I'm being pretentious.

So why don't you cool the idiocy before whining? You didn't bother to figure out any definition of mine before talking about it, why you do expect more respect? Oh right you think because you're white you deserve more respect.

Quote:

You blather on endlessly about things I didn't say.

The Herald of War

I don't know, you seem very easy to hurt because of your persecution complex.

Quote:

Liar. You spoke about my definition when I provided none. You did more than pose a question.

Quote:

Putting words in my mouth was baseless, stop whining.

Waiting on you to eat crow before you get any answers.

Alright, continue to shuck and jive, you are a master at that.

Dedicated Reveler

4,000 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Conversationalist 100
Jessi Danger

Alright, continue to shuck and jive, you are a master at that.

You mean the way that you lie about what other people say? It's not gonna help you get out of that trailer park when you're that bad a liar.

And apparently not even smart enough to know the answer's out there. "U want answar my queshun and let me be lazy so let me think of thing that sound racist to say because me not racist"
Mark_Karev
scacchic
Mark_Karev
scacchic
Just out of curiosity, how many of you believe whites face racism? Not just encountering people who are prejudiced and make stereotypical remarks about whites, but racism.
Are whites secluded because of they are white?

Secluded from what?
From the non-discriminated society?

Whites are the non-discriminated society. At least that's how I feel as a white person.
scacchic
Mark_Karev
scacchic
Mark_Karev
scacchic
Just out of curiosity, how many of you believe whites face racism? Not just encountering people who are prejudiced and make stereotypical remarks about whites, but racism.

Secluded from what?

Whites are the non-discriminated society. At least that's how I feel as a white person.

Does generally not facing discrimination or the same styles of it as others automatically change the definition of a term though?

The implication of the phrase "reverse racism," is that racism literally can only happen to a certain subset of the population. Yet, that is nowhere in the definition of the word racism.

If a black person were to attack a white person out of hatred for white persons, how is that not racism? If the opposite situation is, should the situation I describe also be considered a racist attack?
Jessi Danger
scacchic
Mark_Karev
scacchic
Mark_Karev
scacchic

Secluded from what?

Does generally not facing discrimination or the same styles of it as others automatically change the definition of a term though?

The implication of the phrase "reverse racism," is that racism literally can only happen to a certain subset of the population. Yet, that is nowhere in the definition of the word racism.

If a black person were to attack a white person out of hatred for white persons, how is that not racism? If the opposite situation is, should the situation I describe also be considered a racist attack?

It wouldn't be institutional racism, but it would be some form of it.

Gekko

why hatn on my color tho
on my ways
scacchic
Jessi Danger
scacchic
Mark_Karev
scacchic

Secluded from what?

It wouldn't be institutional racism, but it would be some form of it.

Pardon me, but it seems your implying that the phrase "institutional racism," and "racism," are synonymous. I don't think there is a politically neutral way to suggest such a broad redefinition of words. Racism already has a defined well placed definition, so would the phrase "institutional racism," why muddy the waters by trying to change it and have your motivations scrutinized and have the entire idea seen with a bad light?

Hilarious Prophet

5,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • First step to fame 200
  • Popular Thread 100
scacchic
Mark_Karev
scacchic
Mark_Karev
scacchic

Secluded from what?

You, my friend just contradicted your own statement.

Invisible Phantom

I believe racism is racism. White people hating black people is just as racist as black people hating white people.
Jessi Danger
scacchic
Mark_Karev
scacchic
Mark_Karev
scacchic

Secluded from what?

I like jumping into stuff I'm not apart of.

Look, there's a time in every one white persons life they are going to be hated/disliked by someone who isn't white due to their race. It's just gonna happen. And there's a time when a person who isn't white is going to be hated for not being white. So, yes, white people can experience that type of racism. That type of racism is not going to go away because people are dicks and will find whatever reason they can to hate someone. Yes. White people experience that type of racism. There you go.

The racism most non-white people are talking about is institutional, which is a modifier. This is separate from racism. Non-whites experience racism and institution racism. Institutional racism refers to the fact that history has put non-whites at a disadvantage. How so? Whites have had over 500 centuries of time, cultivating legacies and riches, while non-whites in America were subjected to being slaves or routinely denied even access to the same jobs. Let us not sit here and deny the racism of the past and let us not sit here and deny that the past affects the present. And the past continues to affect us. It's why you don't find many white people talking about how upset they are with the color of their skin while you can go down a predominately black neighborhood and pick at least 5 households on one side of the block with issues with their color.

Yeah, we can chant and sing all day that we just have a preference for lighter skin tones, but, kid, white people tried to distance themselves from folks of other races, particularly black people, all ******** day and night, citing the color of their skin, shape of nose, and type of jawline as reasons for dehumanization. All those years of scientific publications citing the reasons why it was okay to treat folks as subhuman didn't just wash away, even if we deemed these things wrong, because the years of teaching us that something was unattractive is still there and it's hard to undo something like that.

So, to answer your question, yes. Not quite MOVING the same way, changes the definition of the ******** circumstance. Walking is not running. It's not changing the definition, it's just a whole 'nother thing.

Do you understand the fact the word 'racism' came first. Then 'reverse' was added. And that the general consensus for 'reverse racism' is that someone hates white people. from this, we can conclude that 'racism' was first seen as something that only white people can perpetuate. therefore, 'reverse' was added, because white person oppressing a non-white person was standard. There are these neat things called connotations, not found in dictionaries. We just need to stop using the phrase since people are ******** nit-picking about 'BUT AREN'T U BEING RACIST TO SUGGEST ONLY WHITE PEOPLE CAN BE RACIST???!!!??' like, shut the hell up, the phrase is pulled from history and was primarily used by white people themselves, pissed as ******** about the African American fight for rights. Blame 1950s America. CONNOTATIONS AND HISTORY RULE LANGUAGE. ... I'm not yelling at you, btw, I'm just saying and venting, it's a pet peeve of mine.

Your story? Yes. That's a racist crime. Does it compare to institutional racism? No. Is it still bad? Yes - just not as. A broken bone is not a tumor, although they are both serious, one is more so than the other, medically speaking. In essence, it's like Susie complaining someone stole her toy while Mark slipped and got a gash in his knee - no one cares, Susie. No one cares.

Ruthless Strawberry

To answer that.. Yes. and it's not 'Reverse' racism it's just racism..
To explain of how I know.. I was born in Oregon, then later in life ended up living in southern New Mexico..and I'll tell you yes it exists I went through it as a child because I was white and different.. and to be honest if you have the right mindset it doesn't bother you after awhile..

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff