Welcome to Gaia! ::

Devoted Explorer

Jessi Danger
Major Lima Charlie
Jessi Danger
Major Lima Charlie
Jessi Danger
scacchic
Just out of curiosity, how many of you believe whites face racism? Not just encountering people who are prejudiced and make stereotypical remarks about whites, but racism.

If those two things don't qualify as racism, then I'd wonder how many people encounter racism.... or what racism is.
Little something called power dynamics.

So basically we are all to buy into Pat Bidol and Judy Katz definition rather then the one that the rest of the English Speaking world understands.

Why exactly? O' right, so leftists can say racist things but conveniently declare it not racist maybe?
Yeah, sort of like how we should use the popular definition of "theory." We shouldn't let scientists dictate what the word means, but rather every Tom, d**k, and Jane.

Jargon is jargon for a reason. If the common people don't like that, it's too ******** bad. Get educated or don't complain.

We have the dictionary don't we?

Also the racism formula is not some authoritative academic jargon, it is literally the conjecture of a handful of social justice activists and a few professors scattered across the country.

Why should Pat Bidol, Judy Katz, and Tim Wise preferred definition be the one we consider "educated?"
The lay dictionary does not trump specific fields' jargon. Ever.

No, it is sociological standard. If you don't like it, tough ******** nuts.

Interesting Dabbler

5,650 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Citizen 200
scacchic
RyouIshtar
Every race hits racism in some country. There are countries that are racist against anyone from America despite race.

American isn't a race.

There are white people in america. I mean i'm sure there are countries and places where they treat just white people like s**t, but it's probably not that big of a deal to advertise it...maybe they arent special enough to get recognized. Or maybe people feel that it's karma
Major Lima Charlie
Jessi Danger
Major Lima Charlie
Jessi Danger
Major Lima Charlie
Little something called power dynamics.

So basically we are all to buy into Pat Bidol and Judy Katz definition rather then the one that the rest of the English Speaking world understands.

Why exactly? O' right, so leftists can say racist things but conveniently declare it not racist maybe?
Yeah, sort of like how we should use the popular definition of "theory." We shouldn't let scientists dictate what the word means, but rather every Tom, d**k, and Jane.

Jargon is jargon for a reason. If the common people don't like that, it's too ******** bad. Get educated or don't complain.

We have the dictionary don't we?

Also the racism formula is not some authoritative academic jargon, it is literally the conjecture of a handful of social justice activists and a few professors scattered across the country.

Why should Pat Bidol, Judy Katz, and Tim Wise preferred definition be the one we consider "educated?"
The lay dictionary does not trump specific fields' jargon. Ever.

No, it is sociological standard. If you don't like it, tough ******** nuts.

No, its the critical race theory standard, not necessarily THE sociological definition. Also the mere fact that a handful of sociologists prefer it does not make it a correct definition or even the one we should follow.

Saying "Well this guy said it, and he has a degree."
scacchic
Just out of curiosity, how many of you believe whites face racism? Not just encountering people who are prejudiced and make stereotypical remarks about whites, but racism.

I do. White males in particular (like myself) are often viewed as rich and snobby, sexist, racist pigs unless you are completely submissive to all other "minority" groups.

EDIT:

Not that I would ever consider myself a "men's rights activist" or any of that garbage. I recognize that life is unfair. I can point out stupidity myself.
Jessi Danger

probably because they are educated.
We Do Not Kneel
Jessi Danger

Are they? Well congrats, they have a few people with their definition, they have teaching positions, so we decree that is the "educated," (A cypher for correct basically) Definition because obviously they must just know?

So without critical analysis or critical thought we are to take the works of Pat Bidol, Judy Katz, and Tim Wise as indisputable gospel fact?
scacchic

Er, I was under the impression that stereotypes and prejudice were big parts of racism. What else do you think would be required to call something racism? What is racism in your view?
It isn't reverse racism. It's racism.

Reverse racism is just racism that's being reversed back at the original racist, which would just make two racists committing acts of racism on each other.
Jessi Danger
We Do Not Kneel
Jessi Danger

Are they? Well congrats, they have a few people with their definition, they have teaching positions, so we decree that is the "educated," (A cypher for correct basically) Definition because obviously they must just know?

So without critical analysis or critical thought we are to take the works of Pat Bidol, Judy Katz, and Tim Wise as indisputable gospel fact?

well, since they're probably more eucated on the subject than you, i will take their word over yours. on the subject, of course. if they told me the moon is made of people or whatever i wouldn't.
scacchic

In some places. Hawaii is a good example, I'd say.

There aren't many places in the world where white people don't have superior cultural/economic/political power, though, so it's rare.

But, as time goes on and we try to fight the abuse of power along racial, gender, etc. lines, we should be aware that if our measures aren't generic enough, they may fail to stop racism/sexism/etc towards former majority groups. That shouldn't be too hard, though - it's not like there's a lack of powerful white people who can remind policy makers of that fact.
We Do Not Kneel
Jessi Danger
We Do Not Kneel
Jessi Danger

well, since they're probably more eucated on the subject than you, i will take their word over yours. on the subject, of course. if they told me the moon is made of people or whatever i wouldn't.

Alright so as long as someone has a credential, they are automatically correct in whatever they say.

So, as a person with a degree in Geology, I can literally tell you any theory about geology and you will blindly, uncritically, and without question believe it over anyone without a piece of paper?
Racism as in a general societal climate which holds them to be lesser? I suppose so, but certainly not in most of the industrialized world.

Though, I think that that understanding of racism is not too helpful.

Wheezing Gawker

9,950 Points
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Tycoon 200
  • First step to fame 200
scacchic
from blue to
It almost seems like you think distinguishing mistreatment of white people based on race from racist treatment of others will make it less wrong.

Maybe I worded my question wrong. I'm asking if anyone here believes white people are systematically oppressed by blacks, Latinos, Asians, etc on the basis of their skin color.
I don't think so. How can 30% of a population oppress the other 70%. Especially since more white people are in power also the conservative would never let it happen.

For instance if you bring up the fact that there are scholarships specifically for black males, it's not because the government only cares about black males its the fact that a lot of black males aren't becoming successful and end up in jail early on in life.
There are a lot of scholarships for a lot of different things, like having one green eye and one blue eye, which would be very rare if anyone of another ethnic group would be able to use.

Also in movies it's commonly depicted that black guys don't take care of their kids, and are abusive and smoke weed.

I don't know if white people are being oppressed but I've never seen it.
scacchic
Nonesuch Solo
Define racism or you'll never have a meaningful discussion on racism.

Different people use the same word to mean entirely different things.

I'm talking about institutional racism.

Thank you.

Most people will define racism as either believing that people have certain traits simply because of their "race" (which is another debated definition) or behaving differently towards people because of their "race."

This is one of the main intellectual disconnects in any discussion on racism. Those who define racism the way you mean to will get upset when other people who define racism the way I just mentioned claim that white people do experience racism in western cultures. And then people who define racism the way I just mentioned will get upset that those who define racism the way you mean to claim that white people cannot possibly experience racism in western cultures.

Institutionalized racism, as was originally implemented through all manner of racist laws pertaining to racially-based slavery in America, continues to negatively affect non-whites in America. Racism, as some people define it, is about power, majority, privilege, and history; whites in America cannot experience this type of racism.
Jessi Danger
We Do Not Kneel
Jessi Danger
We Do Not Kneel
Jessi Danger

Alright so as long as someone has a credential, they are automatically correct in whatever they say.

did you actually read what I said? i don't think you diiiiiid~

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get Items
Get Gaia Cash
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games