Welcome to Gaia! ::

I AM R U's Spouse

Blessed Rogue

10,775 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Mega Tipsy 100
scacchic
I had no idea this was such a touchy subject for white people.

As much as it's been shoved down our throats, we can't help but get a little touchy.
black_wing_angel
scacchic

As much as it's been shoved down our throats, we can't help but get a little touchy.

I'm white.

I AM R U's Spouse

Blessed Rogue

10,775 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Mega Tipsy 100
scacchic
black_wing_angel
scacchic

I'm white.

I didn't assume either way.
black_wing_angel
scacchic
black_wing_angel
scacchic

I'm white.

So as a white person who has never experienced racism or oppression, I had no idea this was such a touchy subject. I've never had anything shoved down my throat.

I AM R U's Spouse

Blessed Rogue

10,775 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Mega Tipsy 100
scacchic
black_wing_angel
scacchic
black_wing_angel
scacchic

I'm white.

So as a white person who has never experienced racism or oppression, I had no idea this was such a touchy subject. I've never had anything shoved down my throat.

I envy you, for that fact. I can't say the same.

Unholy Abomination

22,350 Points
  • Sunny Side Up 100
  • Abomination 100
  • Conventioneer 300
black_wing_angel

Sorry, but I make it a point not to give specific details about my residence, in public access.

Cool, I can understand that. But if I can't verify this story, then it's meaningless.

Quote:

Considering the fact that I personally knew each and every employee, and talked to them specifically about it...yes. I can rule that out.

I did not work for them, myself. But someone in my family did, and I routinely "dropped by" for visits during the housekeeping staff lunch break.

Not one of these people decided to sue, or complain to the labor board, or anything? Did management use racial slurs? Did they promote the black people and fire the white people? Did the black people get preferential treatment? Did all the white people's wages get cut, but not the black people? And nobody said anything to anybody?

See so far all you've said is "All the former white employees got fired or quit, then black people got hired." Problem is, that kind of thing happens all the time when new management comes in, with any business - especially the "quitting" part. Since those people decided to leave of their own volition then racism on the part of management is irrelevant, what is relevant are the people who were fired. What evidence do you have however that any of the firings were racially motivated?

black_wing_angel

By any chance, do you dress like how your avatar looks, all gothy and s**t?

Not "gothic" specifically. Except my studded wrist-band, which I was not wearing that day. Just a decent pair of blue jeans, and a tee shirt. Nothing "suspicious" or otherwise noteworthy.

I suppose they could, if they wanted to appeal to certain stereotypes. Which is absolutely not ok. The fact is, he had no probable cause to stop and question me. Least of all, to berate me, and treat me like a criminal.

But this is what cops do, catch criminals. Thus when they talk to you, they're looking to see if you're a criminal. I fail to see how it's racist, just because the cops were assholes. You seem to be telling me that just the fact that you got stopped in the first place is the racist part, which is just not good enough.

Quote:

Yes it has. The thing is, usuaully they TELL you that. If that's the case, why didn't he inform me? Especially after it was made abundantly clear that I was not the guy they would presumably be seeking?

Sorry, but they don't have to inform you. They usually do, out of a courtesy. I don't know what the law is like where you're from, but where I am (California) the cop doesn't have to say s**t. The cops don't have to give out any details about any kind of investigation they're doing.

But you did say they "made fun of the contents of your wallet," correct? Why do you think they were going through your wallet in the first place? Could it possibly be that maybe, just maybe, they thought you were there to buy drugs?

Nah, it was because you're white. Goddamn racist cops, always keeping the white man down.

Quote:
When my sister got pulled over a year ago, the cop ended the matter by explaining that they were looking for another car with the same description, and told us to "drive careful, and have a good night". THIS cop called in my arrest record, which came up spotless, and just handed back my license, and told me to "...get out of here."

That I wouldn't attribute to racism, though. Just poor manners.

So since the cops were nice to your sister, but an a*****e to you, then the only possible reason is "racism," huh?

Yeah that makes sense.

Quote:

Except there's nothing "out of place" about me. Except the fact that I was white.

A white guy walking around in a black neighboorhood. Sorry, but that is out of place.

Once again, this is what I'm talking about. You are so privileged, that you simply cannot comprehend how you could possibly be perceived as suspicious or threatening. You told me they went through your wallet - do you know why? It was to see how much cash you had on you, to check if you were a drug buyer. Do you think the cop will be polite to someone he suspects is a drug buyer?

Jesus ******** H christ on a pogo stick, put this s**t together.

Quote:
Oh, I'm not saying it's impossible for someone to just find me suspicious. Hell, someone walking around in a dress shirt and khakis can be "suspicious" to someone else. But it was pretty well implied that I had no business being in the area. And there's no reason that that would be, except the fact that white people were an extreme minority in the area.

Holy s**t, you finally understand. Yes, this is correct. You are white. You are in a black area. Thus an outside observer, like say, a police officer, might reasonably conclude that you don't live in this area. So what, exactly, might he think you were doing there? Tell me, do people sell drugs in this area? Yes or no?

Quote:
I don't generally occupy that area. I was on vacation to see my aunt and uncle that I'm lucky to see once every 3 or 4 years.

Wow. So this happened once, like 4 years ago. Goddamn man, I feel for you, the man just keeps puttin' you down.

Quote:
Tell me, how would you feel if a black woman was constantly being "watched" by the staff, when browsing around a shop of some kind? Would you still propose all of the "possibilities"? Maybe they're looking for someone who she kinda looks like. Maybe they think she might be Beyonce, or something.

...Or would you immediately jump on the "THAT'S RACIST!" bandwagon?

That's a much better example of racism that the three weaksauce examples you brought up. Let's recap, for those who haven't been following along:

You think you are a victim of racism against white people, because:

1) A hotel you know had a change in management, and all the staff (who were white) left, and the new staff is made up of black people. No further details have been given, such as the name of the hotel.

2) A cop pulled you over one time. You were a white man in a black neighborhood. The cop checked how much cash you were carrying, possibly to determine if you were a drug buyer. Since he didn't say "Have a nice day" it must be racism.

3) There is a bar you know in your town, that would let you in and serve you with no problem, but a bunch of black people hang out there and you're afraid they'll beat you up, so like racism and stuff.

Sorry, but these examples are simply not good enough. Like I said before, I have no doubt many people are racist against whites - I simply see no evidence that it's as prevalent, widespread, systematic, or institutionalized as racism against non-whites. Your pathetic examples of non-racism just make my point stronger.

Hilarious Prophet

5,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • First step to fame 200
  • Popular Thread 100
scacchic
Just out of curiosity, how many of you believe whites face racism? Not just encountering people who are prejudiced and make stereotypical remarks about whites, but racism.
Are whites secluded because of they are white?
The Herald of War
Jessi Danger
The Herald of War

Translation: More black people hired? MUST BE RACISM.

You've brought no evidence about the motives or proof that ALL the white employees are fired. And how many employees were there to begin with? How many were fired? How do you know those who quit were going to be fired? Did you just take their word for it? And it's nice how you dismiss the exceptions as clearly being motived by something else instead of taking them into account as maybe showing that it wasn't just white people being targetted.

Well I'd think it bares mentioning that if the same situation had happened but it was a predominately black work force that was force that was fired, there would be utter outrage and accusations of racism flowing with utter abandon.

What 'same situation'? We don't even have any DETAILS about his claim. How many employees were there? How does he know they quit before being fired? Where is he getting this information from, and why should this source be trusted? For all we know it's some buddy of his who thinks he got fired for being white and is now seeing racism in everything.

Well, let us take the person at their word. Is not the situation an example of racism?
Mark_Karev
scacchic
Just out of curiosity, how many of you believe whites face racism? Not just encountering people who are prejudiced and make stereotypical remarks about whites, but racism.

Secluded from what?

Dedicated Reveler

4,000 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Conversationalist 100
Jessi Danger
The Herald of War
Jessi Danger
The Herald of War

You've brought no evidence about the motives or proof that ALL the white employees are fired. And how many employees were there to begin with? How many were fired? How do you know those who quit were going to be fired? Did you just take their word for it? And it's nice how you dismiss the exceptions as clearly being motived by something else instead of taking them into account as maybe showing that it wasn't just white people being targetted.

Well I'd think it bares mentioning that if the same situation had happened but it was a predominately black work force that was force that was fired, there would be utter outrage and accusations of racism flowing with utter abandon.

What 'same situation'? We don't even have any DETAILS about his claim. How many employees were there? How does he know they quit before being fired? Where is he getting this information from, and why should this source be trusted? For all we know it's some buddy of his who thinks he got fired for being white and is now seeing racism in everything.

Well, let us take the person at their word. Is not the situation an example of racism?

No let's not take the person at their word.

Hilarious Prophet

5,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • First step to fame 200
  • Popular Thread 100
scacchic
Mark_Karev
scacchic

Secluded from what?
From the non-discriminated society?

I AM R U's Spouse

Blessed Rogue

10,775 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Mega Tipsy 100
Hawanja
black_wing_angel

Sorry, but I make it a point not to give specific details about my residence, in public access.

Cool, I can understand that. But if I can't verify this story, then it's meaningless.

My point is only that it does happen. Whites can be, and sometimes are victims to racism.

Quote:
Quote:

Considering the fact that I personally knew each and every employee, and talked to them specifically about it...yes. I can rule that out.

I did not work for them, myself. But someone in my family did, and I routinely "dropped by" for visits during the housekeeping staff lunch break.

Not one of these people decided to sue, or complain to the labor board, or anything?

They had strongly considered it. But in the end, most of them just decided "******** them..." and moved on to bigger and brighter things. Just didn't think it'd be worth the hassle. Especially the price for a lawyer and court costs.

Quote:
Did management use racial slurs?

No. They were smarter than that.

Quote:
Did they promote the black people and fire the white people?

Promotions? No. They pretty much kept people where they were, presumably to keep them doing what they already know, while "fixing up" the place.

But they certainly did fire white people. Mostly for bullshit reasons. In fact, my own family member quit while on "suspension" (a step in the process). Her crime? Gossiping. Except that she was gossiping AT HOME, on her own time. That's not legal grounds for disciplinary action at work. And she only quit, because she was fed up with the bullshit, and wanted to get out, while she could still do it voluntarily. My family take pride in the fact that most of us have never been fired from any job. And she wasn't going to let them be her first.

Quote:
Did the black people get preferential treatment? Did all the white people's wages get cut,

I honestly don't recall whether or not wages were effected, but there was clear-cut preferred treatment of blacks.

Quote:
but not the black people? And nobody said anything to anybody?

See so far all you've said is "All the former white employees got fired or quit, then black people got hired." Problem is, that kind of thing happens all the time when new management comes in, with any business - especially the "quitting" part. Since those people decided to leave of their own volition then racism on the part of management is irrelevant, what is relevant are the people who were fired. What evidence do you have however that any of the firings were racially motivated?

Because it was ONLY white people. And for "crimes" that the black employees were equally guilty of. The person my family member was gossiping with, outside of work? She was black. She was not so much as "talked to", but my family member was outright suspended.

Quote:
black_wing_angel

By any chance, do you dress like how your avatar looks, all gothy and s**t?

Not "gothic" specifically. Except my studded wrist-band, which I was not wearing that day. Just a decent pair of blue jeans, and a tee shirt. Nothing "suspicious" or otherwise noteworthy.

I suppose they could, if they wanted to appeal to certain stereotypes. Which is absolutely not ok. The fact is, he had no probable cause to stop and question me. Least of all, to berate me, and treat me like a criminal.

But this is what cops do, catch criminals.

But they can't stop and harass random individuals on a hunch. I was doing nothing suspicious. He had no grounds to stop me, and treat me like some 2 bit criminal, when I had done nothing. I was just walking. On the sidewalk. In broad daylight, on a glorious morning. That does not constitute probable cause for anything.

Quote:
Thus when they talk to you, they're looking to see if you're a criminal.

They can't just assume it.

Quote:
I fail to see how it's racist, just because the cops were assholes. You seem to be telling me that just the fact that you got stopped in the first place is the racist part, which is just not good enough.

Well, when you're stopped for doing exactly nothing except being a racial minority, and furthermore, when you're treated like a scumbag for absolutely no reason, that's...well...pretty likely to give off racial tones.

Quote:
Quote:

Yes it has. The thing is, usuaully they TELL you that. If that's the case, why didn't he inform me? Especially after it was made abundantly clear that I was not the guy they would presumably be seeking?

Sorry, but they don't have to inform you. They usually do, out of a courtesy. I don't know what the law is like where you're from, but where I am (California) the cop doesn't have to say s**t. The cops don't have to give out any details about any kind of investigation they're doing.

I don't pretend to be straight up to date on the legal end of the deal, but I'm fairly sure that the suspect has a right to know what they're being suspected of.

Quote:
But you did say they "made fun of the contents of your wallet," correct?

Not specifically "made fun of" it. But he did ask me, and when I told him, he remarked about how "that's not even enough to buy the gas to get you back to where you came from".

Apparently he never heard of a debit card. Or a group trip.

Quote:
Why do you think they were going through your wallet in the first place?

He never touched my wallet physically (except while patting me down).

Quote:
Could it possibly be that maybe, just maybe, they thought you were there to buy drugs?

I'm fairly sure that's exactly why. But that's not ok. He had no probable cause to suspect it. Just a white boy with long hair. That is not probable cause for anything. Including the assumption of being a pot-head.

Quote:
Nah, it was because you're white. Goddamn racist cops, always keeping the white man down.

Yeah, actually assuming a white person must be a pot-head because he has long hair, is rather racist.

Do you think anyone looks sideways at a Native American with long hair? Are they assumed to be drug addicts based solely on the length of their hair? Not generally. But if you're white, suddenly you have to be doped up. Apparently white men's hair doesn't grow past the ear-lobe, except as a by-product of THC.

Quote:
When my sister got pulled over a year ago, the cop ended the matter by explaining that they were looking for another car with the same description, and told us to "drive careful, and have a good night". THIS cop called in my arrest record, which came up spotless, and just handed back my license, and told me to "...get out of here."

That I wouldn't attribute to racism, though. Just poor manners.

So since the cops were nice to your sister, but an a*****e to you, then the only possible reason is "racism," huh?

Yeah that makes sense.

2 extremely different locations. My sister was pulled over in our hometown, which is very diverse. I was stopped in a town where white people are such a minority, that the vast majority of them are damn near universally recognizable.

Quote:
Quote:

Except there's nothing "out of place" about me. Except the fact that I was white.

A white guy walking around in a black neighboorhood. Sorry, but that is out of place.

Yeah, just like that Trayvon Martin kid. Walking through a predominately white gated community, armed to the teeth with skittles and iced tea. It was his fault, for being out of place...

Quote:
Once again, this is what I'm talking about. You are so privileged, that you simply cannot comprehend how you could possibly be perceived as suspicious or threatening.

No, I do understand why. And the reason is racially motivated.

Quote:
You told me they went through your wallet - do you know why? It was to see how much cash you had on you, to check if you were a drug buyer. Do you think the cop will be polite to someone he suspects is a drug buyer?

When he has no grounds to suspect anything? Yes.

Cops are not allowed to stop random people to "check them out". That's not ******** legal.

Quote:
Jesus ******** H christ on a pogo stick, put this s**t together.

I already have. You're the one that doesn't seem to understand the problem.

Quote:
Quote:
Oh, I'm not saying it's impossible for someone to just find me suspicious. Hell, someone walking around in a dress shirt and khakis can be "suspicious" to someone else. But it was pretty well implied that I had no business being in the area. And there's no reason that that would be, except the fact that white people were an extreme minority in the area.

Holy s**t, you finally understand. Yes, this is correct. You are white. You are in a black area. Thus an outside observer, like say, a police officer, might reasonably conclude that you don't live in this area. So what, exactly, might he think you were doing there? Tell me, do people sell drugs in this area? Yes or no?

Ah. So you actively promote racial profiling.

So if a black kid walked down a predominately white neighborhood, you'd advocate the cops stop him, frisk him, inquire the content of their wallet, and generally treat them like a ******** felon, because "He's a racial minority here. He's out of place. Of COURSE the cops are going to be suspicious!"

Quote:
Quote:
I don't generally occupy that area. I was on vacation to see my aunt and uncle that I'm lucky to see once every 3 or 4 years.

Wow. So this happened once, like 4 years ago. Goddamn man, I feel for you, the man just keeps puttin' you down.

Once again you appeal to frequency. It doesn't ******** matter if it only happened once. The fact is IT ******** HAPPENED!

Quote:
Quote:
Tell me, how would you feel if a black woman was constantly being "watched" by the staff, when browsing around a shop of some kind? Would you still propose all of the "possibilities"? Maybe they're looking for someone who she kinda looks like. Maybe they think she might be Beyonce, or something.

...Or would you immediately jump on the "THAT'S RACIST!" bandwagon?

That's a much better example of racism that the three weaksauce examples you brought up. Let's recap, for those who haven't been following along:

Ah. It's a "better example". Because the victim isn't white.

Quote:
Sorry, but these examples are simply not good enough. Like I said before, I have no doubt many people are racist against whites - I simply see no evidence that it's as prevalent, widespread, systematic, or institutionalized as racism against non-whites. Your pathetic examples of non-racism just make my point stronger.

Did I say they were "widespread and systemic"? No. Just that they do ******** exist. And they shouldn't. Racism of any degree, shouldn't.

But yet you jump on the band-wagon of "anything but racism" so long as the victim is white. That doesn't surprise me though. Just disgusts me.
black_wing_angel
Yeah, just like that Trayvon Martin kid. Walking through a predominately white gated community, armed to the teeth with skittles and iced tea. It was his fault, for being out of place...

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

I love how ignorant people like yourself love to dwell on his death. Yet I hear no public outcry over the murder of innocent white civilians by blacks.

I AM R U's Spouse

Blessed Rogue

10,775 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Mega Tipsy 100
Makrovich
black_wing_angel

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

I love how ignorant people like yourself love to dwell on his death. Yet I hear no public outcry over the murder of innocent white civilians by blacks.

Oh, I'm not "dwelling on his death". In fact, the fact that he was killed, is irrelevant to my point, entirely.

Someone just told me that it's ok that the cops found me "suspicious" and treated me like a criminal based SOLELY on the fact of me being a white man in a predominately black community. My response is that these are the same people who jumped on the bandwagon when Zimmerman "was suspicious of" Martin, with no more probable cause than a black kid wearing a hoodie, walking down the street in a "white" community.

It's the exact same premise, albeit reversed. They're implying that what happened to me is ok, because I'm white, so it's "anything but racism", but Martin was black, so his case is "nothing but racism". And only because the roles are reversed.
The Herald of War
Jessi Danger
The Herald of War
Jessi Danger
The Herald of War

No let's not take the person at their word.

So your avoiding the question.

Racism has, for you at least, a conditional definition. Something is only racism depending on who it happens to?

I will point out that is not the definition agreed upon by society, nor is it the one that treats all people fairly.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff