Welcome to Gaia! ::

Profitable Gatekeeper

7,450 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Millionaire 200
Eyerunny
Annata Cannata
Its pretty implied that its the U.S. we're talking about.

It's really not.
Welp, I'm still not catering to your argument. It wan't what I talking about and I'm not going to talk about it. Start your own thread.
Annata Cannata
Eyerunny
Annata Cannata

It's really not.
Welp, I'm still not catering to your argument. It wan't what I talking about and I'm not going to talk about it. Start your own thread.

As a reminder, this is the parent post of this quote tree:

washu_2004
Racism is racism, and people of all races are equally capable of being racist.

There is no excuse that warrants racism , and just because some person's ancestors treated your ancestors poorly does not make them responsible for that misdeed or give you the right to treat them poorly because of that.

Racism against any race is wrong.

And it is not impossible for racism against whites to exist, that is just a lie used by non-white racists (Such people actually exist surprised , that must come as a shock to some of you gonk ).

Instead of starting your own thread, you responded to it and warped the context to suit yourself.

Why should I start my own thread to put it back into a broader perspective?

Profitable Gatekeeper

7,450 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Millionaire 200
Eyerunny
Annata Cannata
Eyerunny
Annata Cannata

It's really not.

washu_2004

There is no excuse that warrants racism , and just because some person's ancestors treated your ancestors poorly does not make them responsible for that misdeed or give you the right to treat them poorly because of that.

And it is not impossible for racism against whites to exist, that is just a lie used by non-white racists (Such people actually exist surprised , that must come as a shock to some of you gonk ).

Instead of starting your own thread, you responded to it and warped the context to suit yourself.

Why not respond to the above post in the first place? Or better yet, just respond to one of the posts that did specifically mention different countries? Why the hell did you even start this??
Eyerunny
Annata Cannata
Eyerunny
Annata Cannata

It's really not.

washu_2004

Can you let this argument die?
I believe reverse racism is the only form of racism.

Greedy Consumer

if a perceived action is prejudiced and can also be reverse rascism then it is reverse rascism, no doubt about it.

Man-Hungry Elocutionist

12,450 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Big Tipper 100
  • Popular Thread 100
It's not reverse racism. It's just racism. 'Reverse racism' doesn't mean racism against white people, with the implication that only white people can be racist. The words pretty much mean 'not racist'.

That said, of course people of any race can experience racism. If you've ever been travelling, especially to countries with no white people, you can experience it for yourself! Though often in countries with only a single race, racism is directed against foreigners in general, rather than just whites. For example, in India, people with openly stare at you for being white, tourist attractions charge up to ten times more for foreign visitors...

Also during highschool a lot of aboriginal students were extremely racist to another who wasn't indigenous Australian. I think this was mostly due to an expectation of racism from others, possibly due to most of them coming form isolated communities where only indigenous people lived.

I never experienced that type of thing in primary (same as elementary) school.

EDIT: Oh wait, am I not allowed to participate in this discussion because I'm not American? neutral
Depends on how you define racism.

If you use the more systemic notion of racism, then no. White culture is still the dominant culture in the US. Sure, there are ethnic communities where that is not the case, but that at best supports the claim that whites, under that definition of racism, experience racism in the micro. They only experience racism when they enter these communities, not as a general custom.

If you use the more liberal vernacular sense, then yeah, of course, for reasons I already stated. There are minority communities where whites certainly catch flack for being white.
In America? Unlikely.

IN places like say, China? India? Nigeria? Egypt? Korea? Japan? Probably.

Unholy Abomination

22,350 Points
  • Sunny Side Up 100
  • Abomination 100
  • Conventioneer 300
scacchic
Just out of curiosity, how many of you believe whites face racism? Not just encountering people who are prejudiced and make stereotypical remarks about whites, but racism.

I know it happens all the time, however I don't think it does much to prevent white people from achieving their goals. It's a bit hard to complain the man is keeping you down when the deck is already stacked in your favor.

I AM R U's Spouse

Blessed Rogue

10,775 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Mega Tipsy 100
Hawanja
scacchic
Just out of curiosity, how many of you believe whites face racism? Not just encountering people who are prejudiced and make stereotypical remarks about whites, but racism.

I know it happens all the time, however I don't think it does much to prevent white people from achieving their goals. It's a bit hard to complain the man is keeping you down when the deck is already stacked in your favor.

And that makes it almost worse. People are willing to turn a blind eye to it, because apparently the white man should just "deal with it".

Unholy Abomination

22,350 Points
  • Sunny Side Up 100
  • Abomination 100
  • Conventioneer 300
black_wing_angel
Hawanja
scacchic

And that makes it almost worse. People are willing to turn a blind eye to it, because apparently the white man should just "deal with it".

Well when the "problem" isn't really much of a problem, well yeah.

I mean, when was the last time you saw a white man not get a job, specifically because he was a white man? How about a cop arresting a white man on trumped up charges? A store owner not letting a white person shop there? A white man being denied for a home loan while a black or asian man with the same income is approved? Doesn't happen very often, does it?

No, what I hear from people who complain about reverse racism more often than not, is complaints about programs which are designed to reduce racism for non-whites. As in, "I didn't get that [job as a fireman/college scholarship/ other merit based thing] because there's quotas, and they had to hire XX number of black guys." Sorry, but that's not reverse racism, that's white people being crybabies.

There was a guy on here a few months back complaining that he was "denied" for military service, but the black guys got to go instead. After a few posts it became clear he wasn't denied for anything, just that his deployment date was a bit further out than he liked. So really he was just so egotistical, so full of himself, that he couldn't understand that the military wouldn't want someone as super cool and awesome as him to deploy and start pwning Afghans at this exact very minute. According to him, it was "racism" that he had to wait a few months. The whole thing was bullshit.

And that's what I hear when people tell me stories of reverse racism - total bullshit. No one is discriminating against you, you're simply not special.
scacchic
Prejudice against someone because of their race is racism. And if you want to talk about institutionalized racism the look to countries like Zimbabwe where white people aren't allowed to own a business without a black partner owning a 51% majority share.

I AM R U's Spouse

Blessed Rogue

10,775 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Mega Tipsy 100
Hawanja
black_wing_angel
Hawanja
scacchic

Well when the "problem" isn't really much of a problem, well yeah.

Except that the "problem" causes whites with genuine claims of discrimination to fall on deaf ears and blind eyes. Specifically because of that mind-set. That's a pretty big ******** problem.

Racism in any capacity, should not be tolerated.

Quote:
I mean, when was the last time you saw a white man not get a job, specifically because he was a white man?

August, 2009. A local hotel was purchased by some yahoo from California. Within 3 months, every single white employee was either fired, or had quit to avoid it, and had been replaced with a black person, with the exception of 2 white employees who could not be fired, due to the nature of their jobs. Possibly also as token whites, to combat legal claims of racism.

Quote:
How about a cop arresting a white man on trumped up charges?

July, 2010. Not arrested, specifically. But stopped, questioned sternly, patted down, and criminal history searched. Basically treated like a criminal who just hasn't been caught, yet. I believe we call this "profiling", correct?

And a little background information: Predominately black community, roughly 8:30AM, Saturday. Probably 65°F, not a cloud in the sky. Blue jeans and a short sleeve tee shirt.

Quote:
A store owner not letting a white person shop there?

I don't have any specific examples. But I do know a bar in my town where whites aren't specifically welcomed with open arms.

Quote:
A white man being denied for a home loan while a black or asian man with the same income is approved? Doesn't happen very often, does it?

Frequency shouldn't be a factor. This is not "your" problem, because it happens to you more often. It's EVERYONE'S problem, because it happens AT ALL.

You yourself are feeding the problem, with you "it's alright if they're white, because we have it worse" mentality. That's the exact same mentality that was used in reverse in the 1940's and back. "Oh, it doesn't matter that that black man got patted down while walking the streets in broad daylight on a glorious Saturday morning. He's black."
Hawanja

I mean, when was the last time you saw a white man not get a job, specifically because he was a white man?
I think I might have an example. Back in 2008 or 2009 in Duncan BC the local Shoppers Drugmart came under the management of an Indian man. He fired the white and native men and women working there and then held a small hiring fair. He hired only Indian men. There was talk by the former employees of filing a discrimination suit, but I'm not sure if it happened.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff