Welcome to Gaia! ::

Just out of curiosity, how many of you believe whites face racism? Not just encountering people who are prejudiced and make stereotypical remarks about whites, but racism.

Interesting Dabbler

5,850 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Citizen 200
Every race hits racism in some country. There are countries that are racist against anyone from America despite race.
RyouIshtar
Every race hits racism in some country. There are countries that are racist against anyone from America despite race.

American isn't a race.
Define racism or you'll never have a meaningful discussion on racism.

Different people use the same word to mean entirely different things.

Beloved Lunatic

It almost seems like you think distinguishing mistreatment of white people based on race from racist treatment of others will make it less wrong.
scacchic
Just out of curiosity, how many of you believe whites face racism? Not just encountering people who are prejudiced and make stereotypical remarks about whites, but racism.

If those two things don't qualify as racism, then I'd wonder how many people encounter racism.... or what racism is.

Devoted Explorer

Jessi Danger
scacchic

If those two things don't qualify as racism, then I'd wonder how many people encounter racism.... or what racism is.
Little something called power dynamics.
Jessi Danger
scacchic

Racism is prejudice + power. It's systematic oppression. Whites are not systematically oppressed nor are people of color in a position of power over whites.
Major Lima Charlie
Jessi Danger
scacchic

So basically we are all to buy into Pat Bidol and Judy Katz definition rather then the one that the rest of the English Speaking world understands.

Why exactly? O' right, so leftists can say racist things but conveniently declare it not racist maybe?
Perhaps less in the West, than in other cultures.
scacchic
Jessi Danger
scacchic

Racism is prejudice + power. It's systematic oppression. Whites are not systematically oppressed nor are people of color in a position of power over whites.

No it doesn't. The racism formula is an unjustified conjecture invented by Pat Bidol that is never backed up by any solid reasoning.

Quote:
As for why it's a problem to take this stipulated definition as gospel, well that requires a little unpacking. To begin with, it's clear that the victims of racism, by and large, are members of racial minorities and those cases where racism has a material negative impact on whites are extremely rare. The case might be made that even if the definition is wrong then who cares? I think there are problems on multiple fronts. In brief, 1.) The sloppiness of the definition and the arguments in their favor give ammunition to the right to attack leftist criticisms of racism; 2.) It excuses racism between racial minorities; 3.) It is divisive between working class whites and working class racial minorities because it creates the false impression that their disadvantages are something other than economic and saying to working class whites that combatting inequality is not something that benefits them and therefore disenfranchises them as a group; 4.) It obfuscates the locus of power attributing to race what can only be attributed to class regardless of race.

I will address each of these problems in turn, but in order to see that these aren't just problems that we have to live with in order to understand the nature of race in American politics and the global economic system, it's first necessary to show why the definition is wrong. To begin with we have to ask what it is that gives a word it's meaning.

http://www.wetasphalt.com/content/why-racism-prejudice-power-wrong-way-approach-problems-racism
from blue to
It almost seems like you think distinguishing mistreatment of white people based on race from racist treatment of others will make it less wrong.

Maybe I worded my question wrong. I'm asking if anyone here believes white people are systematically oppressed by blacks, Latinos, Asians, etc on the basis of their skin color.

Devoted Explorer

Jessi Danger
Major Lima Charlie
Jessi Danger
scacchic

So basically we are all to buy into Pat Bidol and Judy Katz definition rather then the one that the rest of the English Speaking world understands.

Why exactly? O' right, so leftists can say racist things but conveniently declare it not racist maybe?
Yeah, sort of like how we should use the popular definition of "theory." We shouldn't let scientists dictate what the word means, but rather every Tom, d**k, and Jane.

Jargon is jargon for a reason. If the common people don't like that, it's too ******** bad. Get educated or don't complain.
Major Lima Charlie
Jessi Danger
Major Lima Charlie
Jessi Danger
scacchic

Yeah, sort of like how we should use the popular definition of "theory." We shouldn't let scientists dictate what the word means, but rather every Tom, d**k, and Jane.

Jargon is jargon for a reason. If the common people don't like that, it's too ******** bad. Get educated or don't complain.

We have the dictionary don't we?

Also the racism formula is not some authoritative academic jargon, it is literally the conjecture of a handful of social justice activists and a few professors scattered across the country.

Why should Pat Bidol, Judy Katz, and Tim Wise preferred definition be the one we consider "educated?"
Nonesuch Solo
Define racism or you'll never have a meaningful discussion on racism.

Different people use the same word to mean entirely different things.

I'm talking about institutional racism.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces