Welcome to Gaia! ::

Dardanos Immortalis

You and your friends saw the reaction to American soldiers/military personnel. (If thats what you meant by servicemembers). It doesn't mean they think ALL Americans are arrogant and self-righteous.
Often times, it can. Hell, in some cases, they didn't even know we were American. Most could tell by dialect and language, granted, but not all.
You're assuming we are going to wear our uniforms when we don't have to, and shave when we don't have to. No one does, except for perhaps Fleet Week in the States, or doing some quick shopping before or after work. All they know is that a group of Americans walked in.

Skyburn
Nope.
I am willing to deny that as many conspiracy theories about America as exist are as true as they are claimed to be.
To that point, I'd be willing to venture that America is also more responsible for the removal of, attempted removal of, or the assistance in the like, of more dictators than it may have had a hand in starting - and still, for those it was responsible for, even subsequently removed afterwards.
Most of the installed governments that America is responsible for were being viewed as a "lesser of two evils" deal. It was the cold war, and in some cases, it very much was a lesser of two evils.

Listing of the good things the US government has done, doesn't answer the question of all the bad things it has done.

It's easy to justify things when you have people running scared. The more profitable of two evils would not be inaccurate.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not trying to villainize the USA. Most countries have checkered pasts and I don't blame people now for the actions of those who came before.
But people need to accept that a country is only as good as the people in it.
Every group of people has it's bad apples.
Yes. The US has bad people that did bad things. If you start making a blanket statement based on it's worst people, you're only ever going to end up with every country being akin to the Nazi regime.

And it's not even that people were simply running scared. There were actual times we came close, with only a few level headed individuals stopping those who didn't quite think everything through.
And yes, the more profitable of the two evils is not entirely inaccurate, but at the same time, tyranny in another country is often less profitable than a poor democracy.
A military is necessary. An inflated, authoritarian force aimed at suppressing the world and acting as a global police force, however, is not.

Fashionable Lunatic

1,750 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250
Belonging To Night
A military is necessary. An inflated, authoritarian force aimed at suppressing the world and acting as a global police force, however, is not.

......I say, are you referring to America?
Hanma Selis
Belonging To Night

......I say, are you referring to America?

Mostly, yeah. But that can go for any military force in the world that builds itself up and orients its aim toward imperialism.

Hallowed Hunter

Skyburn
Yes. The US has bad people that did bad things. If you start making a blanket statement based on it's worst people, you're only ever going to end up with every country being akin to the Nazi regime

Where did I make a blanket statement about the US?

Skyburn
And it's not even that people were simply running scared. There were actual times we came close, with only a few level headed individuals stopping those who didn't quite think everything through.
And yes, the more profitable of the two evils is not entirely inaccurate, but at the same time, tyranny in another country is often less profitable than a poor democracy.

Why is it so hard to admit that your government has done bad things for bad reasons? And still do.

I'll readily admit it of my own government.

Savage Fairy

13,250 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Super Tipsy 200
Anastasia_ N_ Romanov
I AM R U
Anastasia_ N_ Romanov
hello my name is anastasia.

So aside from this topic being inane and pointless, let me share with you a little tip. Check your grammar. The only reason I clicked on this thread, was to let you know it's "How important is the American Military?" not whatever rubbish you had. Your post is virtually illegible to anyone who actually speaks English.

Now run along back home to Chatterbox or where ever you came from like a good girl.

granted it would help if I check my spelling a little better but the problum with that is that english is not my first language I am originaly from Russia (Tho my mothers Ossetian)

Its hard when I type for a long time to spell real good,

so i think after my name I, like I used too, should state that im from Russia

I can ignore your spelling, it's your grammar I object to.

And coming from Russia doesn't mean anything - you should explain that you do not actually speak English. I know a number of Russians, and their English (both written and spoken) is near perfect.

Sorry, I don't mean to be attacking you personally, I just couldn't endure your post enough to actually even read it...
It currently largely subsidises the security of the rest of the Western World.

Whether it should or not, is a different question.
Dardanos Immortalis

My apologies. In my hurry at the time of the post, I misread.
Dardanos Immortalis

Why is it so hard to admit that your government has done bad things for bad reasons? And still do.

Didn't I?
"Every group of people has it's bad apples.
Yes. The US has bad people that did bad things."

That following statement is that when it's years after the fact, or when you've only seen it on TV, and never were in the situation yourself, it's incredibly easy to lose all context.

Savage Fairy

13,250 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Super Tipsy 200
black_wing_angel
Anastasia_ N_ Romanov

Quote:
The only reason why people want to attack us is becuase of our Armys crimes in other countrys.

Nevermind what the Japanese did to us, in 1940s, right?

We had done nothing. We were staying out of the War. Japan attacked Pearl Harbor in Hawaii, for effectively "no reason".

We retaliated. They s**t their pants, and apologized.

Nobody has ever made the mistake of a direct invasion, since.

Why? Because our military is simply NOT something to be ******** with.

It's always a bad idea to bring this up with me around sweatdrop

Aside from the fact that the US just wasn't involved in the war effort "officially", the dropping of the bomb on what was essentially a refugee center in Hiroshima was a terrible war crime. The dropping of the second bomb in Nagasaki was even worse, as it was completely unjustified given that the first bomb had achieved the US's goal of terrifying the Japanese.

Also, Pearl Harbor was not an invasion, no more than 9/11 was... Japan may have "s**t their pants, and apologised" but there is still a deep sense of resentment among some individuals in Japan... And the rest of the world, while respecting/fearing the US's military might, also resent their bullying tactics in foreign diplomacy...

Just sayn'.

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
I AM R U
black_wing_angel
Anastasia_ N_ Romanov

Quote:
The only reason why people want to attack us is becuase of our Armys crimes in other countrys.

We had done nothing. We were staying out of the War. Japan attacked Pearl Harbor in Hawaii, for effectively "no reason".

Aside from the fact that the US just wasn't involved in the war effort "officially", the dropping of the bomb on what was essentially a refugee center in Hiroshima was a terrible war crime. The dropping of the second bomb in Nagasaki was even worse, as it was completely unjustified given that the first bomb had achieved the US's goal of terrifying the Japanese.

Also, Pearl Harbor was not an invasion, no more than 9/11 was... Japan may have "s**t their pants, and apologised" but there is still a deep sense of resentment among some individuals in Japan... And the rest of the world, while respecting/fearing the US's military might, also resent their bullying tactics in foreign diplomacy...

Just sayn'.
Dropping a bomb on a city (Hiroshima) containing not one, not two, but three military HQs and numerous depots of military supplies is in no way a crime. The crime was that the Japanese cared so little for their civilians that they stationed their armies and marines there instead of a more deserted region. Nagasaki was where Mitsubishi built military ships, planes, and other products intended to destroy life.

Fanatical Zealot

Dardanos Immortalis
Skyburn
Yes. The US has bad people that did bad things. If you start making a blanket statement based on it's worst people, you're only ever going to end up with every country being akin to the Nazi regime

Skyburn

Certain individuals do bad things, as a whole our government tries it's best to do the right thing.

Savage Fairy

13,250 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Super Tipsy 200
Ratttking
I AM R U
black_wing_angel
Anastasia_ N_ Romanov

Quote:

Just sayn'.
Dropping a bomb on a city (Hiroshima) containing not one, not two, but three military HQs and numerous depots of military supplies is in no way a crime. The crime was that the Japanese cared so little for their civilians that they stationed their armies and marines there instead of a more deserted region. Nagasaki was where Mitsubishi built military ships, planes, and other products intended to destroy life.

So ignorig the fact that Hiroshima was an evacuee center with minimal military prescence, and those who were there were mostly those who had been injured?

Also, most of the people hurt in Nagasaki were farmers etc.

America completely ignored what they themselves said they'd do - they did not drop the bomb on an isolated area to show they were serious, and they dropped the second bomb without giving Japan time to react to the first bomb.

Japan was getting ready to surrender after the dropping of the first bomb. America was ignorant and so self-indulgent to refuse to understand Japanese culture, so were ignorant enough to not understand this. They chose to drop the second bomb for no reason what so ever, except that served their interests in limiting a production of war vessels, which would never have been used against them, BECAUSE JAPAN WAS ALREADY IN THE PROCESS OF BEGINING TO SURRENDER!

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
I AM R U
Ratttking
I AM R U
black_wing_angel
Anastasia_ N_ Romanov

Quote:

Just sayn'.

So ignorig the fact that Hiroshima was an evacuee center with minimal military prescence, and those who were there were mostly those who had been injured?

America completely ignored what they themselves said they'd do - they did not drop the bomb on an isolated area to show they were serious, and they dropped the second bomb without giving Japan time to react to the first bomb.

Japan was getting ready to surrender after the dropping of the first bomb. America was ignorant and so self-indulgent to refuse to understand Japanese culture, so were ignorant enough to not understand this. They chose to drop the second bomb for no reason what so ever, except that served their interests in limiting a production of war vessels, which would never have been used against them, BECAUSE JAPAN WAS ALREADY IN THE PROCESS OF BEGINING TO SURRENDER!
How much time did they need to react? It took us approximately one day after their unprovoked attack on Hawai'i to get our act in gear. If they did not regard Little Boy as sufficient cause to surrender immediately, that merely shows they were fools with no regard for their own populace - or our power.

Fanatical Zealot

Yeah, I was America's military once.

It's not so bad.

Savage Fairy

13,250 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Super Tipsy 200
Ratttking
I AM R U
Ratttking
I AM R U
black_wing_angel
Anastasia_ N_ Romanov

Quote:

Just sayn'.

How much time did they need to react? It took us approximately one day after their unprovoked attack on Hawai'i to get our act in gear. If they did not regard Little Boy as sufficient cause to surrender immediately, that merely shows they were fools with no regard for their own populace - or our power.

It was imperial Japan - the Empoer couldn't just say "ok, let's surrender", it had to go through all the appropriate channels and make sure every different faction didn't feel slighted or overlooked... Also, they couldn't just surrender, they didn't know what America wanted and also the people had been trained to take their own lives instead of surrendering - they had to ensure mass suicides didn't occur...

And most still don't see the attack on Pearl Harbor as "unprovocked", they see it as pre-emptive... And it was definately a military target, not a civilian city...

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff