Welcome to Gaia! ::

Unbeatable Survivor

Apparently Disney added a tribute to him at the end of Aladdin ALREADY.

You may think this is sweet, but they're clearly exploiting his death because it means they're selling new versions and they know people will buy it.

Hell, he didn't even voice Genie in every movie because of issues with Disney.

Liberal Bibliophile

34,100 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • I Voted! 25
  • Elocutionist 200
chainmailleman
We all deal with depression. All of us. It's insane to think otherwise.

'Genie your free' is only one source, which has already received backlash. The other two ask the real questions as to why it's thrown in our faces. Especially the 'alone' quotes. Those really bring it to a head making people feel guilty over Rob's choices.... Seriously....

He could have gotten past it the way the rest of us do, by smoking a joint and getting laid. He has friends. Hell he could have randomly called me and I would have delivered some of Cali's finest to him in less than an hour. But no. He quit. Didn't even bother to ask for help....

All this entire comment tells me is that you've never experienced real depression, only transient mood swings. If you're not capable of differentiating the two, there really is no point in continuing this conversation.

Eloquent Elocutionist

6,050 Points
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200
chainmailleman
Yoshpet
chainmailleman
Why can I not go on my FB without seeing 6 posts with a picture of Rob and a suicide quote?

Because you associate with weird people, I imagine. You're not really going to pretend that your Facebook feed is indicative of changes in suicide trends, are you?

Why can I not turn on the TV without seeing a snippet from the 6 o'clock news about Rob?

Why can I not turn on the radio without hearing a news cast about Rob?

Why can I not go on Gaia without seeing 2 or more threads in almost every forum about Rob?

Because he was a famous actor and comedian. You don't know how celebrity stardom works?

What does that have to do with the idea that suicide is being encouraged anyway?

Shy Sex Symbol

ll Ranma ll
death120994
ll Ranma ll
death120994
ll Ranma ll
]
same here baby girl.. same here.

sad meh its ironically depressing

//hugs //
if you ever need some one to talk to please pm me 3nodding

ok deary

heart

heart

Ladykiller

14,900 Points
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Moira's Valentine 100
death120994
ll Ranma ll
death120994
ll Ranma ll
death120994
ll Ranma ll
]
same here baby girl.. same here.

sad meh its ironically depressing

//hugs //
if you ever need some one to talk to please pm me 3nodding

ok deary

heart

heart

<3 friendship

Eloquent Elocutionist

6,050 Points
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200
violette lumineux

You may think this is sweet, but they're clearly exploiting his death because it means they're selling new versions and they know people will buy it.

What if people want new copies of Aladdin because they realized they don't own a copy of a movie they consider one of his best roles? Sure, Disney is going to make a good profit off of that, but it's not as if they're responsible for making people want it. They're providing something that people are obviously going to want right now, and it's something that only they can provide as well.

When an actor dies should we temporarily restrict the sale of media they starred in out of respect? What about the residuals we'd be denying their family during that time?

Unbeatable Survivor

Yoshpet
violette lumineux

What if people want new copies of Aladdin because they realized they don't own a copy of a movie they consider one of his best roles? Sure, Disney is going to make a good profit off of that, but it's not as if they're responsible for making people want it. They're providing something that people are obviously going to want right now, and it's something that only they can provide as well.

When an actor dies should we temporarily restrict the sale of media they starred in out of respect? What about the residuals we'd be denying their family during that time?

That's not even what I said. What I said was they added a special tribute JUST to get money out of a tragedy.

Liberal Bibliophile

34,100 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • I Voted! 25
  • Elocutionist 200
violette lumineux
Yoshpet
violette lumineux

That's not even what I said. What I said was they added a special tribute JUST to get money out of a tragedy.

Really? I thought the logical train of thought was "They added a special tribute because he died to pay homage to him."
Starlit Moonscape
chainmailleman
He was a quitter. Seriously. He should not be revered for suicide. But he is. Now suicide is being dramatized everywhere. Expect a surge in suicides over the next year as it's apparently A-OK.

edit* Case in point, look at the other thread talking about suicide being "unselfish".

But weren't you the on that said alcohol is the only things that keeps you from shooting yourself in the mouth? Hypocrite.

Chain is very good at staying on the outside when observing a situation and drawing assumptions from there rather than learning a thing or two from the people he's observing.

He's probably a troll, but I haven't quite figured it out yet.

Unbeatable Survivor

kiironobara
violette lumineux
Yoshpet
violette lumineux

Really? I thought the logical train of thought was "They added a special tribute because he died to pay homage to him."

Disney and Robin Williams had some sort of dispute and Robin Williams didn't agree with SOMETHING so he wasn't even Genie's voice in all the movies. I REALLY DOUBT they actually care about him.

Liberal Bibliophile

34,100 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • I Voted! 25
  • Elocutionist 200
violette lumineux
kiironobara
violette lumineux
Yoshpet
violette lumineux

Disney and Robin Williams had some sort of dispute and Robin Williams didn't agree with SOMETHING so he wasn't even Genie's voice in all the movies. I REALLY DOUBT they actually care about him.

But he was in some of them, and those are likely the ones they are paying tribute in.

People have disputes that end business relationships all the time. It doesn't mean they hate each other.
kiironobara
violette lumineux
kiironobara
violette lumineux
Yoshpet
violette lumineux

But he was in some of them, and those are likely the ones they are paying tribute in.

People have disputes that end business relationships all the time. It doesn't mean they hate each other.

I think you are putting too much faith in the Disney BUSINESS. Those people live in a whole different world.
death120994
Im just saying... ive never seen so many posts about depression in highlight until robin williams. Granted I feel like his loss was big to us, but it is sad when the only reason people are caring about people with depression is because of a celebrity taking their own life. Im not bashing on robin williams, im just saying that thousands take their own life and/or go through depression everyday and people pass us by. Depression has hit home for a lot of us, but when a celebrity does it, then its a huge issue of the world. Robin Williams was a phenomenal person and it was sad to see him leave due to himself. I can't say prayers go out, but thoughts do. But I feel that the concern about depression shouldnt have just started due to an actor. It should have started when it was an epidemic and still is...

How do you know it was a suicide? you don't do you

all that aside,
he's dead. it's over. go home everyone.
foxxykitty27
kiironobara
violette lumineux
kiironobara
violette lumineux

I think you are putting too much faith in the Disney BUSINESS. Those people live in a whole different world.

It must be eyetwitching, the corporate fascism melded with the incessant cheeriness.
the reverend silver
foxxykitty27
kiironobara
violette lumineux
kiironobara
violette lumineux

It must be eyetwitching, the corporate fascism melded with the incessant cheeriness.

To be honest, I don't really care much about it in this context. My eyes are stable as can be.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff