Welcome to Gaia! ::

Shy Sex Symbol

ll Ranma ll
death120994
ll Ranma ll
before robin william even passed i had made many posts about helping people with depresstion.

Well I know you are a decent person smile you are super nice.
I'm talking about on Facebook and social media. No one says anything about depression until robin williams
mmmhhh true.

It just really bothers me sad

Liberal Bibliophile

34,100 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • I Voted! 25
  • Elocutionist 200
Ceravis
kiironobara
Well, keep in mind there's a major stigma associated with mental illness. I'm often recalcitrant to discuss my chronic depression as a result, as people tend to, well, be a little callous.

But Robin Williams was almost the embodiment of childhood and happiness for a lot of us. Many of us loved him. So the fact that he lost the battle against depression means even some of those who don't understand mental illness are trying to learn more rather than being callous.

I think also because Robin Williams is a comedian as well - I grew up watching a lot more of his comedic roles, but I also saw a lot more of his dramatic ones as well. The idea that a comedian, who brought so much joy to a lot of people, was battling depression and ultimately committed suicide is a shock to a lot of people.

I think people are surprised that someone who could be funny and spread so much joy can be depressed, and that it makes people realize that anyone can be suffering from depression and that you may not even know it.

What makes me sad is the people who seem to think if you aren't denigrating Robin Williams for taking his life, calling him a coward, selfish, a quitter, etc, you are promoting suicide.

Really, their anger and judgment toward a man they only knew through the TV and big screen is what is selfish. They are refusing to even attempt to understand him. The passing of judgment says more about them than it does him.

Liberal Bibliophile

34,100 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • I Voted! 25
  • Elocutionist 200
chainmailleman
Yoshpet
chainmailleman
Why can I not go on my FB without seeing 6 posts with a picture of Rob and a suicide quote?

Because you associate with weird people, I imagine. You're not really going to pretend that your Facebook feed is indicative of changes in suicide trends, are you?

Why can I not turn on the TV without seeing a snippet from the 6 o'clock news about Rob?

Why can I not turn on the radio without hearing a news cast about Rob?

Why can I not go on Gaia without seeing 2 or more threads in almost every forum about Rob?

Because Robin Williams touched many people with his acting, comedy, and many of the altruistic things he did during his life. Remembering and telling stories is how most people grieve. Hence, why people are talking about him.

The fact that he committed suicide adds to that, because people are struggling to understand it. You seem to think that simply by discussing it (and not condemning him) we are promoting suicide, which is just ridiculous.

Liberal Bibliophile

34,100 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • I Voted! 25
  • Elocutionist 200
Also, and I really can't say this enough:

As someone who suffers from chronic depression, it is extremely difficult to explain it to someone who does not. The bad times are really ******** bad; my worst one left me incapable of focusing on anything for more than a few seconds--couldn't read, couldn't watch TV, nothing. It's complete despair. You doubt everything. Nothing you do is good enough, and you feel like everyone quietly hates you (which leads to you drawing into yourself and eschewing human contact), you're a burden, and when you're lethargic and have no energy you berate yourself for laziness despite the fact that there's a real cause: the depression. I remember going to a doctor and telling them, "I either have mono again, or I'm severely depressed." It turned out to be mono, but I couldn't be sure without the tests. That's how it feels.

And the good times? Well, if you suffer with chronic depression, through the good times you're constantly wondering when it'll end and the bad will come back. Because it always does.

Ladykiller

14,900 Points
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Moira's Valentine 100
death120994
ll Ranma ll
death120994
ll Ranma ll
before robin william even passed i had made many posts about helping people with depresstion.

I'm talking about on Facebook and social media. No one says anything about depression until robin williams
mmmhhh true.

]
same here baby girl.. same here.

Shy Sex Symbol

ll Ranma ll
death120994
ll Ranma ll
death120994
ll Ranma ll

mmmhhh true.

]

sad meh its ironically depressing

Ladykiller

14,900 Points
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Moira's Valentine 100
death120994
ll Ranma ll
death120994
ll Ranma ll
death120994
ll Ranma ll

mmmhhh true.

]

//hugs //
if you ever need some one to talk to please pm me 3nodding

Tricky Conversationalist

8,750 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
kiironobara
chainmailleman
Yoshpet
chainmailleman
Why can I not go on my FB without seeing 6 posts with a picture of Rob and a suicide quote?

Because you associate with weird people, I imagine. You're not really going to pretend that your Facebook feed is indicative of changes in suicide trends, are you?

Why can I not turn on the TV without seeing a snippet from the 6 o'clock news about Rob?

Why can I not go on Gaia without seeing 2 or more threads in almost every forum about Rob?

Because Robin Williams touched many people with his acting, comedy, and many of the altruistic things he did during his life. Remembering and telling stories is how most people grieve. Hence, why people are talking about him.

The fact that he committed suicide adds to that, because people are struggling to understand it. You seem to think that simply by discussing it (and not condemning him) we are promoting suicide, which is just ridiculous.

This

This

And this....

I'm not the only one who is noticing.

Tipsy Smoker

Depression was certainly being talked about in mass. Recently there has been a huge spike in depression. But I kept my eyes/ears open to it. Perhaps it is you who only just now noticed.

Liberal Bibliophile

34,100 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • I Voted! 25
  • Elocutionist 200
chainmailleman
kiironobara
chainmailleman
Yoshpet
chainmailleman

This

This

And this....

Those are absolutely not the only ways they are talked about, and there have been very few problems aside from the "Genie, you're free."

Which, btw, as someone who has attempted suicide and who suffers from chronic depression, I did NOT feel it was promoting it. It was simply saying Robin Williams was free of his struggle with it, which is probably the only positive thing one can say about his death, as twisted as the uninitiated might see it.

Robin Williams had a moment he couldn't get past.

Tricky Conversationalist

8,750 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
kiironobara
chainmailleman
kiironobara
chainmailleman
Yoshpet
chainmailleman

This

This

And this....

Those are absolutely not the only ways they are talked about, and there have been very few problems aside from the "Genie, you're free."

Which, btw, as someone who has attempted suicide and who suffers from chronic depression, I did NOT feel it was promoting it. It was simply saying Robin Williams was free of his struggle with it, which is probably the only positive thing one can say about his death, as twisted as the uninitiated might see it.

Robin Williams had a moment he couldn't get past.

We all deal with depression. All of us. It's insane to think otherwise.

'Genie your free' is only one source, which has already received backlash. The other two ask the real questions as to why it's thrown in our faces. Especially the 'alone' quotes. Those really bring it to a head making people feel guilty over Rob's choices.... Seriously....

He could have gotten past it the way the rest of us do, by smoking a joint and getting laid. He has friends. Hell he could have randomly called me and I would have delivered some of Cali's finest to him in less than an hour. But no. He quit. Didn't even bother to ask for help....

I AM R U's Spouse

Blessed Rogue

10,775 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Mega Tipsy 100
it's not unreasonable. People don't really understand or identify with depressive people, unless they personally know them. That's natural. We only really concern ourselves with problems that affect us or people we care about. So like that Amanda Todd girl....who cares? Nobody knew her on any sort of grand scale. It has no baring on my or anyone elses' lives, except the people close to her. So empathy is wasted on her.

But celebrities are different. LOTS of people are affected by celebrites. Because they have mass exposure, so we know them. We love them. And when something like this happens to them, it touches a lot more people. It's a lot more personal, because it's someone who touched a lot more peoples' lives.

It's a matter of scale.

Space Phantom

10,900 Points
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Hive Mind 200
funny, because we were talking about that also.

i'm in the mental health system, and i have a feeling that there's a therapist milking this for all they can, which is sad (i'm on vacation, so i don't know how they'll be reacting until i go home). they're likely like 'oh, this is great, because we'll get exposure and people will take this seriously.' that's not right.

basically, you're exploiting tragedies (his, his family and friends') to get your message across? you're treating that person as expendable and an unfortunate casualty and will use it to gain exposure? i'm sure those close to him don't feel he was.
that's not a good way to honor someone's legacy; to reduce it to suicide because of depression. it's like there's other things about him other than this, and it sure would irritate the snot out of me if i knew someone who killed themselves and they basically ignored everything else about them.

Shy Sex Symbol

ll Ranma ll
death120994
ll Ranma ll
death120994
ll Ranma ll
mmmhhh true.

]

//hugs //