Welcome to Gaia! ::

Dapper Gawker

I have several degrees and consider myself a lifelong student, even though I am currently not in school. At university I studied the history and development of thought, of religion, public speaking, and literature. My degrees reflect those studies, obviously, and though I consider myself informed and certified, I am probably many times more aware of just how much I DON'T know than I ever was, and increasingly so every day. I find it very difficult to make sweeping statements about reality and/or politics because of how acutely aware I am of the fact that life and people (especially people) just aren't simple and therefore shouldn't be explained simply.

So my question, out of this, is how should I respond to a person who is so convinced of themselves that they hop up on their desk chairs and preach their extrapolations or even their assumptions and opinions as if they are scientifically provable facts?

I have an answer, but I want to know how you, Gaia, deal with these situations. How do you encourage meaningful dialogue with hard-headed folk? How do you search for truth with someone who thinks they've already achieved enlightenment?
I have a couple of degrees and consider myself a complete idiot. One thing is for certain you can not change a persons view if they are zealots on the subject on hand. They are convinced they are right and you are wrong no matter what you say. On the other hand even scientifically proven facts have turned out to be wrong a few times. I wish I could help, but I just ignore them as most times they spout the same things without even trying to discuss them rationally. I have a hard enough time understanding and communicating with people with my mental disorder than to put up with people unwilling to debate a topic.
Ignore them.

Dapper Gawker

I guess I just wish I could help them. Life is so much more interesting when you can admit you might be wrong.

Eloquent Sophomore

8,975 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Signature Look 250
mrpirateman
So my question, out of this, is how should I respond to a person who is so convinced of themselves that they hop up on their desk chairs and preach their extrapolations or even their assumptions and opinions as if they are scientifically provable facts?

By contradicting them, of course. I mean, with all your years of study, no doubt you know better.

Quote:
I have an answer, but I want to know how you, Gaia, deal with these situations. How do you encourage meaningful dialogue with hard-headed folk? How do you search for truth with someone who thinks they've already achieved enlightenment?

You don't. You can't find what you're not seeking.
All that's left is to ******** with 'em.
How should I respond to a person who is so convinced of themselves that they hop up on their desk chairs and preach their extrapolations or even their assumptions and opinions as if they are scientifically provable facts?

Well, what can you do? You can choose to argue in circles with them, which will probably get you nowhere, or you can simply ignore them. If they are pushing their ideas onto you, then just humbly refuse or disagree.

How do you encourage meaningful dialogue with hard-headed folk? How do you search for truth with someone who thinks they've already achieved enlightenment?

Sometimes hard-headed folk don't want to engage in meaningful dialogue. The best way is to be respectful towards them and not mirror their attitude. If you are going to engage in dialogue with someone, both of you should realize that you should be open-minded because all of us are truly ignorant of many things.
just be thankful that idiot wont be in your life forever

Vellin the Dino's Significant Otter

Original Rabbit

Well, personally I just ignore them. I've had many experience where I repeatedly learned that people won't change even if/when they are proved wrong. Unless it is actively damaging someone or myself then I leave it alone.

Blessed Tactician

11,250 Points
  • Beta Contributor 0
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Contributor 150
With a shiv.

*Cough*
Sometimes you just have to accept that people aren't going to accept rationality. They're not looking for what's right, they're looking for what's easy, and there are better people to spend your time talking to.

Which is kind of disappointing, because when it comes down to it debate between rational people just doesn't last all that long most of the time.

Fanatical Smoker

That depends on lots of factors. Are they a person you have strong reasons not to offend? Is it possible to compromise? Are they a person who has sway over others and do their "assumptions and extrapolations" have the capacity to do social damage? Are they an anonymous face on a website who may or may not support the views they espouse online when they are offline? Is it a game or is it serious? How susceptible to charm and quiet persuasion do they seem to be? How taxing is it on me and is there a worthwhile dividend if I succeed in convincing them to re-evaluate their standpoint? Is it something I really care about? Will it be entertaining to mirror their behaviour and mindset with an opposing view? What are the consequences of allowing this person to proceed in their ignorance?
Correct them, then move on without taking it too personally.

Quotable Prophet

I figure that while our beliefs may differ, the strength of their belief in whatever they believe is probably just as strong as my own.

Fanatical Zealot

Laugh, ignore them, or breath in deeply and calm myself down, simply reassessing the situation.

I put down my information and explain it as best as possible, and if they just refuse to have basic intelligence, I walk away.

Tricky Conversationalist

8,750 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
mrpirateman
I have several degrees and consider myself a lifelong student, even though I am currently not in school. At university I studied the history and development of thought, of religion, public speaking, and literature. My degrees reflect those studies, obviously, and though I consider myself informed and certified, I am probably many times more aware of just how much I DON'T know than I ever was, and increasingly so every day. I find it very difficult to make sweeping statements about reality and/or politics because of how acutely aware I am of the fact that life and people (especially people) just aren't simple and therefore shouldn't be explained simply.

Ummm.... Homie this is the ED. You can argue until you are blue in the face and s**t just keeps piling up.
Actually it's pretty easy since most of them come from Patton, Suicidesoldier and Michael Noire.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff