Welcome to Gaia! ::

Dorinkingu
Tactical Leg Sweep
Dorinkingu
Tactical Leg Sweep
Dorinkingu

Pretty much, yes. As somebody stated above, it's one thing to not want a child. It's another thing entirely to not want a child just because of its gender.

Bullshit. What business is it of the state why a woman wants to have an abortion? Bodily integrity unless it's for a reason we don't like? That's ******** idiotic.

You're ******** idiotic~

Nice logic, numbnuts. That was easier than I thought.

You people argue against anything sane and logical all over the ED; I'm not gonna waste my time explaining anything to deaf ears.

Lol "you people". Right, I'm illogical so that's why you can't argue against me. Go head-desk somewhere else. Stop spouting stupid bullshit and wasting people's time.

4,650 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Signature Look 250
  • Hygienic 200
Tactical Leg Sweep
Dorinkingu
Tactical Leg Sweep
Dorinkingu
Tactical Leg Sweep
Dorinkingu

Pretty much, yes. As somebody stated above, it's one thing to not want a child. It's another thing entirely to not want a child just because of its gender.

Bullshit. What business is it of the state why a woman wants to have an abortion? Bodily integrity unless it's for a reason we don't like? That's ******** idiotic.

You're ******** idiotic~

You people argue against anything sane and logical all over the ED; I'm not gonna waste my time explaining anything to deaf ears.

Lol "you people". Right, I'm illogical so that's why you can't argue against me. Go head-desk somewhere else. Stop spouting stupid bullshit and wasting people's time.

The only time I'm wasting here is my own. I won't be replying to you here anymore~
Old Blue Collar Joe
Tactical Leg Sweep
Dorinkingu
Tactical Leg Sweep
Dorinkingu

You're ******** idiotic~

I think they just don't want to admit that they like having a nanny state, and, as long as they aren't getting ******** over by the law, then it's all hunky dory.

i think it is more like they don't want to live in a sausage fest because christians are not only hypocrites who would have abortions while telling others no, but are also sexist assholes who hate taking care of women. It just proves to me when you deal with people who contradict themselves, you need laws that contradict themselves.
Old Blue Collar Joe
Dorinkingu
Old Blue Collar Joe
Dorinkingu
Because aborting a child because of gender can cause huge disparities in the numbers of males and females (look at China @_@).

So? It's a double standard. "You can have an abortion for any reason you want...but the MINUTE we think it's gender based, we own your uterus.'

I suppose, but maintaining a certain level of balance between genders is important.

So it's fine and dandy for the government to step on toes.

I'm not quite sure why you think that the general public should have any choice in the sex of their child. Look at China, that's what happens when people get to choose the sex of their child; massive discrepancies in the numbers of males and females.

7,400 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Full closet 200
Does anyone have any evidence that British society would dramatically favour one gender over another?
Depends really...

I actually think it's quite stupid personally.

You allow abortion till Third Trimester that's the end of the discussion. It shouldn't matter the reason WHY they're doing it the fact of the matter is, they have a right to do it.

Full stop, that's the end.
Fermionic
Old Blue Collar Joe
Dorinkingu
Old Blue Collar Joe
Dorinkingu
Because aborting a child because of gender can cause huge disparities in the numbers of males and females (look at China @_@).

So? It's a double standard. "You can have an abortion for any reason you want...but the MINUTE we think it's gender based, we own your uterus.'

I suppose, but maintaining a certain level of balance between genders is important.

I'm not quite sure why you think that the general public should have any choice in the sex of their child. Look at China, that's what happens when people get to choose the sex of their child; massive discrepancies in the numbers of males and females.

I'm not sure why you think it's okay for you to decide for other people what they should do with their own bodies, including getting an abortion for a stupid reason, but it isn't.

Too bad. Maybe educate your populace better. Here's a thought; if we give people the right to vote they could vote a chimpanzee into office. Does that mean you should take away people's right to vote?
Tactical Leg Sweep
Fermionic
Old Blue Collar Joe
Dorinkingu
Old Blue Collar Joe
Dorinkingu

I'm not sure why you think it's okay for you to decide for other people what they should do with their own bodies, including getting an abortion for a stupid reason, but it isn't.

Too bad. Maybe educate your populace better. Here's a thought; if we give people the right to vote they could vote a chimpanzee into office. Does that mean you should take away people's right to vote?

It's not only about their own bodies when other human beings (potential, future and current human beings) are brought into the matter. People don't have any right to screw things up for everyone else just because they want to put a different coloured bow on their child's bonnet. That's not about them.

And yes, people's vote should be removed from them if they are massively stupid.
Well, the fact the Telegraph is a pretty socially right-wing publication would rather stem an issuance from which it gets a high horse to claim this wrong.

Dorinkingu
I must heartily disagree. I simply cannot see any decent rationale by which government should, for a second, take such measures. To intervene as such would be to develop a precedent of complete involvement in peoples' lives.

Old Blue Collar Joe
I think they just don't want to admit that they like having a nanny state, and, as long as they aren't getting ******** over by the law, then it's all hunky dory.
Joe, I'm going to say this kindly; ******** right off with that crap. There's more than enough complaining about the nanny state from most individuals.

Camera Stellata
Does anyone have any evidence that British society would dramatically favour one gender over another?
There's an odd case of people who are trying to have two children; one of each gender. Which is...a little weird.

Wraith of Azrael
Depends really...

I actually think it's quite stupid personally.

You allow abortion till Third Trimester that's the end of the discussion. It shouldn't matter the reason WHY they're doing it the fact of the matter is, they have a right to do it.

Full stop, that's the end.
That's the really funny part. The Telegraph gets into fits and vapours about these abortions occurring despite the fact that, in practise, it's not that difficult to get an abortion in the UK in some areas. Not that that's a bad thing, but the excuse "I wasn't careful whilst drunk last friday night" seems somewhat silly.
That said, it's brilliantly vague on abortion law. With "physical or mental danger" being grounds to perform one and there is plenty one can call a mental danger.

That said; I honestly take no qualms with people who're so superficial as to abort over the foetus' gender. Heck, take any means to keep such idiots from havi- Wait, no - too far admittedly (a bit totalitarian). But one can't help but find such a thought process a little contemptuous, personally.
If only because the reasoning seems really petty.
A Really Bad Idea

That's the really funny part. The Telegraph gets into fits and vapours about these abortions occurring despite the fact that, in practise, it's not that difficult to get an abortion in the UK in some areas. Not that that's a bad thing, but the excuse "I wasn't careful whilst drunk last friday night" seems somewhat silly.
That said, it's brilliantly vague on abortion law. With "physical or mental danger" being grounds to perform one and there is plenty one can call a mental danger.

That said; I honestly take no qualms with people who're so superficial as to abort over the foetus' gender. Heck, take any means to keep such idiots from havi- Wait, no - too far admittedly (a bit totalitarian). But one can't help but find such a thought process a little contemptuous, personally.
If only because the reasoning seems really petty.

Meh, people do things because they can sometimes, it's the way things go.

You might not like KKK people or the BNP being stupid racists but as long there is freedom of speech they are perfectly free to be racist (unless they call for violence or riots).

You might not like people aborting for really petty reasons but as long as a women owns her own body they are perfectly free to do with it as they wish.

It tends to come with the territory really.

4,650 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Signature Look 250
  • Hygienic 200
A Really Bad Idea

I just mean, we don't want to end up with waaaay more of one gender.
If you don't want to have a baby, that's fine, you should have every right not to. If you don't want a child simply because of its gender, that's kinda wrong...
Wraith of Azrael
Meh, people do things because they can sometimes, it's the way things go.

You might not like KKK people or the BNP being stupid racists but as long there is freedom of speech they are perfectly free to be racist (unless they call for violence or riots).

You might not like people aborting for really petty reasons but as long as a women owns her own body they are perfectly free to do with it as they wish.

It tends to come with the territory really.
|True. By no means, would I act (or encourage people to act) against them. I just reserve the right to call the reasoning petty.
But that's perhaps petty in and of itself.

Dorinkingu
I just mean, we don't want to end up with waaaay more of one gender.
If you don't want to have a baby, that's fine, you should have every right not to. If you don't want a child simply because of its gender, that's kinda wrong...
And I've called the reasoning wrong. Heck, I've called it petty, to cite why I find it wrong. Such stupidity is just anathema to me (which I'm sure some ED'ers will question how I can live with myself over).
I just don't, on the back of what the Teleraph reported, believe the scenario you present would occur on current trends. Or even that it's likely. There just doesn't strike to be a particularly high social impetus for one gender over the other. The only really balance that could be maintained would be tinkering on a major scale for little gain.
Here is my logic, if a woman didn't want the baby she would have gotten the morning after pill. She would be taking a contraception pill and her boyfriend, husband, or person she doesn't even know will be wearing a condom. Aborting a life is a big deal. It shouldn't have to come down to people doing it because of vanity. Aborting a child because it is infringing on your life because you were too much of a dipshit to be responsible is no different then aborting a child because you want a child of a different gender.
Old Blue Collar Joe
Dorinkingu

Unfortunately, I have to agree with this. I'm pro-choice, and that means choice. I find aborting a child due solely to gender disgusting and reprehensible, but it's still the woman's choice, and therefore I can't bring myself to say it should be a banned practice, even if I do hate it.

Omnipresent Cultist

5,250 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Partygoer 500
Old Blue Collar Joe
Dorinkingu

But you can't have an abortion for any reason you want

You can only have it to prevent physical or mental injury or death to the pregnant woman.

or if the child would be seriously handicapped.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff