Welcome to Gaia! ::

I was wondering do any of you have a role-model? Famous, normal or a parent or big brother or something?

Someone who you can look up to or get support from when you have no idea what to do?

I don't and I'm wondering am I the only person? I think I need someone to go to/think of when I need help sometimes, but I really have anyone like that...

What I'm saying is :
Is a role-model something you need to keep trying/whatever how do you decide who it is?
(I'm hoping this is ED materia.. sweatdrop )
Personally never had a role model. I imagine that relying on one person would simply create a clone of that person, and you would make their decisions, not your own. Its better to have a group of people you admire, to get an overview of what to do. People can make mistakes.
That person would be myself. Not to sound cliche, but personally, as long as I can validate my own existence, I am perfectly content.

Though Jesus would be in my top three people because of his dedication. Role Model? hell no, he died.
Theres a quote that goes like this "Idols are for people who can't live up to thier own dreams so they have to chase after someone else's. "

That's my life philosophy.
AzraelDenka
Theres a quote that goes like this "Idols are for people who can't live up to thier own dreams so they have to chase after someone else's. "

That's my life philosophy.

Good one!
As for me; I dont really look at other people as 'role models' I do have some people that I admire; but that doesn't mean I do everything they did/do...
I look up to a few people, but mostly because of their dedication or view on life. I don't try to copy everything they do, I want to blaze my own trail in life.
I dont really have a role model, for reasons that are my own, but i do have a person that i admire, My Brother in law Tyler, for his strength and dedication, i really cant explain my reasons here, but he is easily one of the best people i have ever known.

and if he wanted to marry my sister he damn well have been.
Who's Brian Boitano?

sweatdrop

Enduring Associate

8,350 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Happy 13th, Gaia Online! 50
  • Clambake 200
The notion of role models seems silly to me. However cool someone else is, they are not you, and you're not them. Ain't no way you can be someone else, and it's rather pointless to try. I myself have never had a role model, although I do see certain traits in people I like and try to cultivate them in myself. I do pick them, however, based on what I'm like; I respect my roommate's trusting nature, but I'm far too pragmatic to try and cultivate it in myself. Right now, I hope I end up similar to my department head-- a terrifyingly intelligent (people tell me I've got this one already; w00t if it's true) person who knows their s**t and can communicate this in a clever manner. I'm already halfway there, so he serves as more of a benchmark than a role model.
W.W.T.D.

What would thor do?
i just try and be me, sure there are people who inspire me, but i dont have a role model
A role model? That sounds suspiciously like something involving work...
Nope, there's not really any famous people I look upto, but I have some friends who I really admire though.
Every person must make his or her own path in life. Following in the footsteps of another is, no matter how you look at it, a limitation. We are each born with a certain potential, certain characteristics.
This is something we all agree on, I believe. However having certain people you look up to, admire, is merely a healthy effect of not being too arrogant and egocentric to realize that you are not the center of the universe.

As for me, there's my father's uncle who married into the family. He died just about a year ago. A bright, talented and openminded man, who did not lack a sense of humour. He was a poet, artist and vicar, never afraid to speak his mind.

All in all he is one of the reasons that I, ever since I was a little kid, have longed for the day when I would be an old man. He was just that cool.

Appart from him...hmmm... Rune Andreasson, Don Rosa, JAS and Sven Nordqvist are among my childhood rolemodels, JAS being somewhat more recent and admired mostly for his ability to capture the local flavor (comic-artists, if you know who all of them are, well, either you are swedish or you really know your comics)
Then there are the historical figures I admire, of which Martin Luther and Karl the 11th (King of Sweden, known as "King Blackcloak" or something of the like) are the first that come to mind.
And of course the many authors and scholars I have aquired a certain admiration for, too many to count.

This, however, does not mean that I in any way strive towards becoming these people, as I would merely end up a pathetic shadow of my true potential.
Admiration is a healthy product of my hierarchial mind.
praly kick an a** or two thats what brian boitano would do. whee

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces