Welcome to Gaia! ::

I took calc in high school got a 4 on the BC don't remeber what i got on the AB. got a c in the class though. I hated math and took it in high school so i wouldn't have to take it in college.
mintkitty
At my school, the honors kids take 2 years of calc and take the BC AP exam at the end of senior year. Everyone in the whole history of the program has gotten a 5 because we have an amazing teacher. We also go around singing calculus carols before winter break.

...i'm stunned. please, enlighten me to these calculus carols.
kaoru2020
as i sit here being distracted from homework, i was wondering how many of you took calculus in high school. last year (my junior year) i had pre-cal, differential calculus (covered mostly limits and derivatives), and integral calculus (mostly integrals, as the name implies) [trimester system]. This year i have two classes, both this term. i'm working right now on multivariable calculus (up to now, we've done mostly vectors. now we're working with different coordinate systems and coordinate transformations (polar, cylindrical, spherical)) and BC Calculus (harder AP cal; so far done more series, summations, and limits using some integral to test convergence). what have some of you taken in high school, and how far did you cover? and for any engineers out there, how much harder does it get in college?
haven't taken it yet but will take it next year [senior year].
i would just like to say that i....

HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE

HATE

calculus. yes it suxors and i took it in both highschool and now in college. but then i hate school period. sigh. im in a lazy slump of my life where i dont want to do anything but sleep and play video games.
sigh. im such a kidd.
while we're on the subject, can anyone solve:

r(t) = cos (t)i + 3 sin (t)j

i and j are unit vectors; trying to convert to rectangular coordinate equation; the answer is pi, need the solution
kaoru2020
while we're on the subject, can anyone solve:

r(t) = cos (t)i + 3 sin (t)j

i and j are unit vectors; trying to convert to rectangular coordinate equation; the answer is pi, need the solution

ewe calculuss. :dies:
Well I'm in my last year of uni now, so I'd say I've done most of the calculus there is to be done. I'm doing theoretical physics.
In school, I did ...(let's see if i remember) the basics of integration & differentiation, multivariable stuff, I don't remember the rest. There were a fair amount of chapters in each book on it, anyway.
I mostly just learned partial differentiation when I got to uni, and PDEs and ODEs. Great fun.

uh, rectangular coord equ? What?
The equation is for a spherical coordinate system. I need to change it to a rectangular coordinate system (as in y = x or x^2+y^2+z^2=9).
Oh, cartesian.
You people have odd names for stuff.

Neh, I suck at switching between systems and gave it up a couple years ago so I'm no use.
kaoru2020
as i sit here being distracted from homework, i was wondering how many of you took calculus in high school. last year (my junior year) i had pre-cal, differential calculus (covered mostly limits and derivatives), and integral calculus (mostly integrals, as the name implies) [trimester system]. This year i have two classes, both this term. i'm working right now on multivariable calculus (up to now, we've done mostly vectors. now we're working with different coordinate systems and coordinate transformations (polar, cylindrical, spherical)) and BC Calculus (harder AP cal; so far done more series, summations, and limits using some integral to test convergence). what have some of you taken in high school, and how far did you cover? and for any engineers out there, how much harder does it get in college?
well I'm studying engineer and In high school (I'm from spain) we did lost of things from R1 (on variable) but almost nothing in R2 also In my high school we didn't make a lot of limits but we trained hard in derivation and other things now I've arribed at university and calculus 1 and 2 wich I'm doing are really difficult calculus 1 has got the things we made in high school plus R2 and calculus 2 is mainly integration (and EDOs, ordinal derived equations) plus convergence and stuff like that. from my point of view this is really hard and I don't feel prepaired enough from my high school
Sweet Jesus, I do not want to take calculus. It's not that I'm bad at math...just don't like it.
I had AP Cal my senior year in High School. Everyone kept telling me that it was important to take those clases so when you get to college you dont have to. BULL s**t! I ended up having to take Cal all over again. It was harder in college but still the same crap. Somewhere between all the math classes and the parties I changed my mind and decided to get my degree in English and Nursing. blaugh To this day I hate math, its my bane.
bluewolfmule
Oh, cartesian.
You people have odd names for stuff.

oh, yeah. see, my cal teacher is russian. i would say that explains it, but i think it's in the book, so, the fact that she is russian is really irrelevant.
Quote:
well I'm studying engineer and In high school (I'm from spain) we did lost of things from R1 (on variable) but almost nothing in R2 also In my high school we didn't make a lot of limits but we trained hard in derivation and other things now I've arribed at university and calculus 1 and 2 wich I'm doing are really difficult calculus 1 has got the things we made in high school plus R2 and calculus 2 is mainly integration (and EDOs, ordinal derived equations) plus convergence and stuff like that. from my point of view this is really hard and I don't feel prepaired enough from my high school

yeah, we're doing a lot of series and convergence stuff, but what are R1 and R2?
kaoru2020
mintkitty
At my school, the honors kids take 2 years of calc and take the BC AP exam at the end of senior year. Everyone in the whole history of the program has gotten a 5 because we have an amazing teacher. We also go around singing calculus carols before winter break.

...i'm stunned. please, enlighten me to these calculus carols.

Here's a sample:

To the tune of Oh Christmas Tree

Oh calculus, Oh calculus
How tough are both your branches
Oh calculus, Oh calculus
To pass, what are my chances
Derivatives, I cannot take
At integrals, my fingers shake
Oh calculus, Oh calculus
How tough are both your brances

Oh calculus, Oh calculus
Your theorems I can't master
Oh calculus, Oh calculus
My proofs are a diseaster
You pull a trick out of the air
and find a reason, God knows where
Oh calculus, Oh calculus
Your theorems I can't master

Oh calculus, Oh calculus
Your problems do distress me
Oh calculus, Oh calculus
Related rates depress me
I walk towards lamposts im my sleep
And running water makes me weep
Oh calculus, Oh calculus
Your problems do distress me

Oh calculus, Oh calculus
My limit I am reaching
Oh calculus, Oh calculus
For mercy I'm beseeching
My grades do not approach a B
They're just an epsilon from D
Oh calculus, Oh calculus
My limit I am reaching

A couple of people in my class also wrote their own.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff