Welcome to Gaia! ::

Interesting Dabbler

5,850 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Citizen 200
Metheshrew
My parents taught me from a very young age that I am neither white nor black but both. Under my parents's roof I was always biracial, but when I went to school or any social gathering outside of the house there was always probably a 9/10 chance I would be labeled as black if the subject came up. It doesn't matter if some of my facial features are features that our society commonly associates with white, because my dark skin always makes me black. Now, mind you, I don't mind being identified or described as a black woman and I certainly am not offended by it. It's just something that always made me curious.

This is just not a personal experience, either. I've noticed it with public figures and entertainment. President Barack Obama is half white, but he is most often identified as black. Halle Berry is half white as well, but she is often labeled as black too. I haven't noticed this happening with any other ethnicity besides black, but if you guys know of any please let me know. It seems it doesn't matter if a person is Black and White, Black and Asian, Black and Mexican, or any other ethnic mixture with black. It seems that no matter what kind of features that person has that they will always be seen first as black and only black.

I'm just curious for different ideas as to why this is. I'm going to take a few people who've been on my block list for a while with hopes they can discuss this civilly without name calling, but the minute I see any of that behavior from them I will block them again.

yeah i argue the whole "Obama isnt black he's mixed" excuse and the whole "Tiger woods isnt black he's mixed" as well, my mom always replies with "It's only what the Klan sees you as, doesn't matter any other way" *_____*
RyouIshtar
Metheshrew
My parents taught me from a very young age that I am neither white nor black but both. Under my parents's roof I was always biracial, but when I went to school or any social gathering outside of the house there was always probably a 9/10 chance I would be labeled as black if the subject came up. It doesn't matter if some of my facial features are features that our society commonly associates with white, because my dark skin always makes me black. Now, mind you, I don't mind being identified or described as a black woman and I certainly am not offended by it. It's just something that always made me curious.

This is just not a personal experience, either. I've noticed it with public figures and entertainment. President Barack Obama is half white, but he is most often identified as black. Halle Berry is half white as well, but she is often labeled as black too. I haven't noticed this happening with any other ethnicity besides black, but if you guys know of any please let me know. It seems it doesn't matter if a person is Black and White, Black and Asian, Black and Mexican, or any other ethnic mixture with black. It seems that no matter what kind of features that person has that they will always be seen first as black and only black.

I'm just curious for different ideas as to why this is. I'm going to take a few people who've been on my block list for a while with hopes they can discuss this civilly without name calling, but the minute I see any of that behavior from them I will block them again.

yeah i argue the whole "Obama isnt black he's mixed" excuse and the whole "Tiger woods isnt black he's mixed" as well, my mom always replies with "It's only what the Klan sees you as, doesn't matter any other way" *_____*

Hmm...if I'm not mistaken the Klan probably sees biracial blacks (especially those who are mixed with white) to be even worse because they view biracial children as proof that their 'race' is in danger of being terminated. The same thing goes for other children who are both white and another ethnicit(ies).
black people in the Americas are almost always mixed. Compare it to many areas in Africa where mixture with whites is less common and the distinction of "coloured" is used. That's why when people say they are biracial in places like the US, some don't really think it counts. Since the start of the whole concept of blackness in the west, people mixed with Europeans have been in the equation and have been treated as blacks. Many don't see why it should change now.

Greedy Consumer

color is a simple identifier. pretty much it. Just like if a mexican and a chinese have a baby with chinese eyes they are going to e called chinese more often, and if the baby has more mexican-like eyes they will be called something else, because their skin color is more consistent they have to go off of a facial feature. And Im sure you look different from a person who has a ridiculous tan that is pure white, and those features contribute to what they call you.
We Are Organisms
color is a simple identifier. pretty much it. Just like if a mexican and a chinese have a baby with chinese eyes they are going to e called chinese more often, and if the baby has more mexican-like eyes they will be called something else, because their skin color is more consistent they have to go off of a facial feature. And Im sure you look different from a person who has a ridiculous tan that is pure white, and those features contribute to what they call you.

True, but what about someone like Thandie Newton or Stacey Dash?

Greedy Consumer

Metheshrew
We Are Organisms

I honestly am not good with celebrity names xd
We Are Organisms
Metheshrew
We Are Organisms

I honestly am not good with celebrity names xd

Haha, that's okay. I'll give you some pics.

Thandie:

User Image

Stacey:

User Image

Honestly, I only know about Stacey because of the whole Romney controversy.

To be fair, these pictures might be doctored to a certain degree, but at least with Thandie she is still pretty light in public appearences and in movies. I honestly would not have guessed she was half black, but I think a lot of people identify her as black nonetheless.
First, that definitely does happen with other skin tones.

Second, its because that is what being 'black' is in America; you have black skin with roots likely in Africa. Its of course flawed, but that doesn't matter, because it conforms to what most people experience and conforms to their own views about the world.

End of story really. Just accept its going to happen and learn to roll with it for people you don't care about and gently and patiently correct those whom you do care about.

Giygasm's King

Demonic Sweetheart

16,550 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Cool Cat 500
If someone looks a certain race, I'm going to call them that unless they correct me in a civil manner. One of my friends has a half-Mexican relative who looks white, so I've called her white.

EDIT: Regarding those pics you posted recently, I would have guessed that the first one was white and the second one Hispanic.

I AM R U's Spouse

Blessed Rogue

10,775 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Mega Tipsy 100
Major Lima Charlie
black_wing_angel
Major Lima Charlie
black_wing_angel
Major Lima Charlie
Are you kidding?

"Where are you from?" is probably the number one icebreaker white people use when first talking to POC.

That's not exclusive to POC, by the way. I'll ask anyone and everyone where they "come from". Just seems a good conversation starter.
Nice anecdote. Now can it.

Ah. So I provide information that's directly contradictory to your argument, and you want me to shut up.

Nice debating skills, Lima. rolleyes
You provided a personal example. An anecdote. Anecdotes are not legitimate evidence. Ergo:
Can it.

And your argument is supported by what, exactly?

Liberal Fairy

It's because black genes are dominant.

Jesus ********. Put a white person in a mostly black area, wait 200 years, come back and tell me if you see white people there.

Unforgiving Warlord

13,400 Points
  • Senpai's Notice 100
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Love Machine 150
Im Chinese and European mix.

People just assume I am asian with lighter skin.

I really don't care. It only annoys me when they insult me somehow, but that rarely happens.
Well, if you resemble a certain ethnic group, chances are people are going to think you are from that ethnic group. For example, I'm a mixture of Mexican (Native/Spanish) and European descent. Although a lot of people are right on with my ethnic background, some think I'm of middle eastern descent. I'm a lightish tan, and my features are a mixture. My father is much darker than I am, and you can tell he's Mexican based on his skin tone and facial features. My mother on the other hand, is also mixed but she's extremely pale and resembles a Caucasian. People assume she's only white not knowing she also is part Mexican. It doesn't bother me at all that people assume I'm a certain race or whatever.
I love my hair. I have long black and white braids, and it's all mine,

I bought this s**t fair and square.
Seriously, I wouldnt mind just as long as theyre comfortable with being called whatever theyre being called. I know a half white, half Asian kid in Robotics and he doesnt care if hes called Asian, mainly on the fact that he looks more Asian than anything else.

We also use to have a kid who was 1/3 Korean, 1/3 Japanese, and 1/3 either Chinese, or something from Africa, and he looked more Asian. Its just how people see it.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff