• The Perfect Setup 150
  • Tycoon 200
  • First step to fame 200
Jacque De Molay
Booty Tickle
Jacque De Molay
Booty Tickle
Jacque De Molay
How would an african american look? Oh, you mean hair like mine! Are you implying that your hair is more authentic than mine? Is your hair better than mine because it's not "dry rough scab?" Are you superior to us because you're mixed?
whoa I never ever said your hair was like that. Or any other black persons hair was like that. I was just using that as an opposite group of adjectives opposed to "nice". I just don't know why everyone expects black people's hair to feel like that. I always get comments like "oh I didn't expect it to feel like that" . Also when I was younger white ladies would always stop my mom and ask her how she did my hair in the style she did and how "nice" my hair was.
I presume what is "black" isn't often associated with nice in america and these stereotypes persist because black americans see themselves through that stereotypic lense.
you can't win and you can't lose, curly natural hair isn't always considered appropriate in some situations like job interviews and stuff, but perming hair and getting weaves is considered being fake or trying to be white. I'm not trying to sound rude or racist but I feel like black girls are held to a certain standard by other black girls to act a certain way or whatever. Like if a black girl dies her whole head pink she's ghetto or trying to be white but if a white girl does it it's just self expression. These are all things I've witnessed or experienced.
Why are black Americans viewed as a distorted comparison of the white standard?
you're asking the wrong person I don't know.

Eloquent Conversationalist

10,225 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • First step to fame 200
I know.
But I heard my dad say if you're more than 2% you're black.
He was probably half serious... But it might hold a lot more weight than I'd like...

Devoted Explorer

I AM R U
marshmallowcreampie
With mixed-race people, they're usually identified by whatever race they most resemble. Obama looks more black than white, so people call him black.

Even when he identified himself as "white"?

Weird... I've mostly come across people who give both areas of their background, but to be honest not many people would ask in the first place or even be in a situation when they would have to define themselves...
Are you kidding?

"Where are you from?" is probably the number one icebreaker white people use when first talking to POC.
What's really better, though:

"Hey, it's that white person!"
"Hey, it's that biracial person!"
"Hey, it's that black person!"
I'm 3/4 Mexican but most people assume me to be white.
The ones who don't assume I'm Persian or Arabian. Completely farfetched to what I really am,

I never minded it though.

I AM R U's Spouse

Blessed Rogue

10,775 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Mega Tipsy 100
Metheshrew
My parents taught me from a very young age that I am neither white nor black but both. Under my parents's roof I was always biracial, but when I went to school or any social gathering outside of the house there was always probably a 9/10 chance I would be labeled as black if the subject came up.

That's probably because the vast majority of labels, are based on appearance.

The same way I'm often mistaken for Irish, simply because I'm a pale redhead. I'm actually of Scottish ancestry, though. Close, but not so close.

Quote:
It doesn't matter if some of my facial features are features that our society commonly associates with white, because my dark skin always makes me black. Now, mind you, I don't mind being identified or described as a black woman and I certainly am not offended by it. It's just something that always made me curious.

This is just not a personal experience, either. I've noticed it with public figures and entertainment. President Barack Obama is half white, but he is most often identified as black. Halle Berry is half white as well, but she is often labeled as black too. I haven't noticed this happening with any other ethnicity besides black, but if you guys know of any please let me know.

There are others, but they're more labelled by presumed ancestry, as opposed to a color. Such as "Asian", and "Native American", or "Latino", etc.

Quote:
It seems it doesn't matter if a person is Black and White, Black and Asian, Black and Mexican, or any other ethnic mixture with black. It seems that no matter what kind of features that person has that they will always be seen first as black and only black.

That's because black skint is a dominant trait. So if you have a black parent, you're probably going to come out with particularly dark skin. So you'll be more easily identified as a "black" person.

That's not to say it's a 100% certainty. I used to work with a man who had a black father, but he himself is identifiably white.

What it all comes down to, is that few people give enough of a damn, to actually "study" you, so as to make the "proper" call. They just go by first glance. You're black, I'm Irish. *shrug* No sense trying to fight it.

I AM R U's Spouse

Blessed Rogue

10,775 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Mega Tipsy 100
Major Lima Charlie
I AM R U
marshmallowcreampie
With mixed-race people, they're usually identified by whatever race they most resemble. Obama looks more black than white, so people call him black.

Weird... I've mostly come across people who give both areas of their background, but to be honest not many people would ask in the first place or even be in a situation when they would have to define themselves...
Are you kidding?

"Where are you from?" is probably the number one icebreaker white people use when first talking to POC.

That's not exclusive to POC, by the way. I'll ask anyone and everyone where they "come from". Just seems a good conversation starter.

Tipsy Smoker

I like being black.
I have a biracial friend and I would classify her as "black" too (if I was referring to her race in a causal way). Because when I think of someone who is of European descent (like myself) I expect them to be a glowing white a** cracker (like myself) lol

Devoted Explorer

black_wing_angel
Major Lima Charlie
I AM R U
marshmallowcreampie

Are you kidding?

That's not exclusive to POC, by the way. I'll ask anyone and everyone where they "come from". Just seems a good conversation starter.
Nice anecdote. Now can it.
I AM R U
marshmallowcreampie

Yep! Obama has identified himself as biracial more than once, and it was never a secret that he was raised by his white mother.

Hmmm...maybe I'm living in a place where people are just more forward, but the subject has always seemed to come up a lot for me growing up.

I AM R U's Spouse

Blessed Rogue

10,775 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Mega Tipsy 100
Major Lima Charlie
black_wing_angel
Major Lima Charlie
I AM R U
marshmallowcreampie

Are you kidding?

Ah. So I provide information that's directly contradictory to your argument, and you want me to shut up.

Nice debating skills, Lima. rolleyes
Major Lima Charlie
I AM R U
marshmallowcreampie

Are you kidding?

I say that to everyone, but then I'm from Canada and nobody identifies as Canadian here.

Devoted Explorer

black_wing_angel
Major Lima Charlie
black_wing_angel
Major Lima Charlie
I AM R U
marshmallowcreampie

Are you kidding?

Ah. So I provide information that's directly contradictory to your argument, and you want me to shut up.

Nice debating skills, Lima. rolleyes
You provided a personal example. An anecdote. Anecdotes are not legitimate evidence. Ergo:
Can it.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces