Welcome to Gaia! ::

http://today.yougov.com/news/2014/10/02/america-divided-hate-speech-laws/

Not hate crime, hate speech.

To the 50% of democrats that support hate speech laws, and the 25% of republicans, and the 27% of independents: you're silly.

Oh one hand, it would be pretty funny to see the entire userbase of tumblr (and a good chunk of GAIA posters) be imprisoned for misandry - on the other hand illegal speech represents the ultimate corruption of intellectual freedom. As totally hilarious as it would be to see the SJWs get clobbered over the head with their own cudgel - I'd rather not sacrifice the most precious freedom to do so.
Something tells me such a law would be selectively enforced on those evil "MRAs." The SJWs wouldn't get one conviction because muhsojinyraycissum. It's kind of like how RICO laws are selectively used on Italians.

Alien Dog

17,850 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Voter 100
  • Mark Twain 100
Incorrect speech can never be free speech.

Only speech that is correct deserves protection.

Sparkly Shapeshifter

12,950 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Person of Interest 200
Keltoi Samurai

So, fictional story telling does not deserve protection?
Yeah I swear you guys were singing a different tune when the WBC protested military funerals.
God Emperor Baldur
Yeah I swear you guys were singing a different tune when the WBC protested military funerals.

I will leave this website forever if you can find a single instance of me advocating for a hate speech law about the WBC or anyone else.
isn't defamation a crime already?

Profitable Entrepreneur

6,300 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Wall Street 200
I would like to know what terms would be considered "hate speech"...

Omnipresent Glitch

11,850 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Invisibility 100
It appears that half the question was about making it illegal to advocate genocide.

That many people are against this, seriously? No punishment for doing that, at all? Damn, what a psychotically deranged "Christ Nation".

Alrighty, I'm just gonna go back to calling for genocide... I am part of the 75% of genocidal Independents that disregarded there being any punishment for that, after all.

Oh, but fly all the kittens to safety before you blow up the place. They're still superior.

Newbie Noob

I'll be more impress when you stand up for the speech of the KKK or the protesting rights of the West Baptist Church
On the genocide idea...

I do believe that is already covered...

It generally tends to fall on the whole... "incite to riot/violence" bit of law.

It's technically already covered.

As for the WBC.

It's not so much freedom of speech as much as it is distance.

Remember, there were gangs of bikers basically protecting a funeral from the WBC.
The WBC still have a right but...

Going around saying "Gays will burn in hell" as opposed to"kill the Gays!" is abit different.

Alien Dog

17,850 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Voter 100
  • Mark Twain 100
Blood Valkyrie
Keltoi Samurai

So, fictional story telling does not deserve protection?

Fictional storytelling is art. Art can be protected, as long as it glorifies correct thought.
>Libs
>champions of civil liberties

pick one.
Project 429
http://today.yougov.com/news/2014/10/02/america-divided-hate-speech-laws/

Not hate crime, hate speech.

To the 50% of democrats that support hate speech laws, and the 25% of republicans, and the 27% of independents: you're silly.

Oh one hand, it would be pretty funny to see the entire userbase of tumblr (and a good chunk of GAIA posters) be imprisoned for misandry - on the other hand illegal speech represents the ultimate corruption of intellectual freedom. As totally hilarious as it would be to see the SJWs get clobbered over the head with their own cudgel - I'd rather not sacrifice the most precious freedom to do so.
Aren't hate speech laws already a thing? Are you telling me that I can run around outside screaming "I hate niggers!" and NOT go to jail?
Weretindere
It appears that half the question was about making it illegal to advocate genocide.

That many people are against this, seriously? No punishment for doing that, at all? Damn, what a psychotically deranged "Christ Nation".

Alrighty, I'm just gonna go back to calling for genocide... I am part of the 75% of genocidal Independents that disregarded there being any punishment for that, after all.

Oh, but fly all the kittens to safety before you blow up the place. They're still superior.
I hate to go straight to Godwin, but anti-hate speech laws don't exactly preclude movements from cropping up. Weimar Germany had laws against anti-semitism. Guess what came right after?

There's a very real perception in Western society, and rightly so, that if you're actively shutting someone up about their opinions, then it's because you have no counter-argument. It's why UKIP is gaining so much ground in Britain--because there's the perception that if you refuse to engage in political debate, you concede the political argument.

In Racists vs Everyone Else in Britain, even as you portray them as "Racists", they still win the debate due to Everyone Else not showing up.

This is why atheists have painstakingly argued with chrisftags for centuries instead of shutting them up outright, even though the christfags lose the argument about evolution vs gawd every damn time.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff