Welcome to Gaia! ::

Roih Uvet
Mei tsuki7
Roih Uvet
Mei tsuki7
The Daario Naharis
Mei tsuki7
O and that guy who just shot up a California street.

Elliot Rodger? He seems to be a special sort of crazy. I mean, have you read his ******** Manifesto? I've seen snippites of it and his web history, and given the Racism, the standard "Revenge against humanity" and tendency for "X guy stopped me from harassing a girl. I am going to kill him and then kill myself.", the desire to kill his family members, the fact that he speaks as though he is trying to sound like a cartoonish villain, his referring to himself as a "God" and as having a better life than him as being a "Crime", his plans to turn his apartment into a torture room... etc.

Point being, this guy is a special sort of ******** up and has a history of being so, not just you're average "Nice Guy" webcomic author. (Say what you will about that guy, he isn't Elliot Rodger)

Though I'd be willing to amend my statement from "any" to "most"

Except that "special sort of crazy" has happened over and over again and only really shows up in WHITE MALE AMERICIANS. Just saying that he's "crazy" lets him off the hook for his actions and ignores WHY he did what he did. Tell me why the vast, vast majority of mass shooters are white males. There HAS to be a reason. I personally think it's our entitlement culture that specifically targets white males. When white males are denied what they think they are entitled to, usually wealth or women, they freak out and go on killing sprees. Usually they only kill single people but we're seeing over and over again them killing multiple people.

Saying that these people are just "crazy" completely negates everything that could be used to make sure that this kind of thing doesn't happen again. The fact that the statistics on this subject are so one dimensional shows a clear relationship between the two factors. White males are statistically far, far more likely to commit mass shootings or be serial killers than any other race and gender combination. We need to look at WHY while not just falling back into the excuse of "O he was just crazy.".

Another point of this is that the police never investigated him. You wanna know why? Because nothing he did or said was any different than what other white boys have said over and over again. The point is that he wasn't DIFFERENT in any way until he started shooting. The responses to his manifesto and acts clearly show why his behavior didn't raise any red flags. There have been so many many who have said "Think about this before you reject someone ladies." and things of that nature. You're also ignoring that white males consistently threaten violence against women all the damn time. Especially when women say something that they don't agree with or might just limit their privilege.

There is a PROBLEM in this culture where white males think threats and violence is an acceptable solution and it needs to be addressed. There is nothing "crazy" about any of these shooters unless you say that all white men are crazy in that way. I don't know if you're actually a white male but if you are you should look at yourself and at your friends and try to FIX this problem rather than push it under the rug again. Even if you're not white but are still male you should do it as well. While it's not as prevalent in other races these issues still occur. And before you say something like "I don't do stuff like that." or "NOT ALL MEN!" think about if you've ever threatened someone with anything violent even jokingly. Think about if you've ever said even vagely threatening things againt someone who has rejected you. These things contribute greatly to this culture that creates the white male (or just the male of any race seeing as even if we open up to other races you'll find that only one mass shooter has been a woman) mass shooter.
I don't think you know what you're talking about. If it's white males that feel the most entitled to the world and feel that the use of "threats and violence" is acceptable moreso than any other race, why are 34.4 per 100,000 blacks murderers while only 4.5 per 100,000 whites murderers? [1] Explain.

Because the motive behind the murders is different as well as amount of victims and type of victims. The majority of violence in the black community is due to gang violence. That type of violence is similar to say, the violence in Syria between two rival/enemy faction. If you don't see that then I can't help you.
Ah, yes. Of course. Blacks killing each other as a matter of course in their culture isn't evidence that they believe the use of "threats and violence" is acceptable.

No, the real culprit is the white men who become murderers much less often. They're the truly violent demographic. Indeed.

-THE POINT-
-YOU-
Roih Uvet
Mei tsuki7
Roih Uvet
Mei tsuki7
The20
Why is that even a question?
Though to be honest there was one summer when i keep mentioning "I'm gonna cut your heart out with a spoon" to this one girl - until she told me she was less than happy with me saying this all the time.

Yes, yes, every white, heterosexual, cis male is a genocide waiting to happen. We get it already.

Yeah. Honestly, even jokingly that sort of thing is part of the problem.

Well I wouldn't say genocide but I'd say violence. Basically, we women have to go through life with the thought "He's a physical threat until proven otherwise." with EVERY man we meet.
No you don't. You have the very real option to not be paranoid. Get over it.

Except that if I'm NOT paranoid and take a lot of precautions then I'll be blamed for other people's actions against me. See all the women who are blamed for being raped and abused.
I don't see any women being blamed for being forced, against their will, to have sex. Or being mugged, or murdered, or what have you.

Then you're wilfully ignorant.
Mei tsuki7
Roih Uvet
Mei tsuki7
Roih Uvet
Mei tsuki7
The20
Why is that even a question?
Though to be honest there was one summer when i keep mentioning "I'm gonna cut your heart out with a spoon" to this one girl - until she told me she was less than happy with me saying this all the time.

Yes, yes, every white, heterosexual, cis male is a genocide waiting to happen. We get it already.

Yeah. Honestly, even jokingly that sort of thing is part of the problem.

Well I wouldn't say genocide but I'd say violence. Basically, we women have to go through life with the thought "He's a physical threat until proven otherwise." with EVERY man we meet.

Except that if I'm NOT paranoid and take a lot of precautions then I'll be blamed for other people's actions against me. See all the women who are blamed for being raped and abused.
I don't see any women being blamed for being forced, against their will, to have sex. Or being mugged, or murdered, or what have you.

Of course I am, Little Miss Selective Statistics. Of course I am. wink
Roih Uvet
Mei tsuki7
Roih Uvet
Mei tsuki7
Roih Uvet

You are because you'd have to miss the victim blaming that occurs throughout the country, including on main stream media.
Mei tsuki7
Roih Uvet
Mei tsuki7
Roih Uvet
Mei tsuki7

Except that "special sort of crazy" has happened over and over again and only really shows up in WHITE MALE AMERICIANS. Just saying that he's "crazy" lets him off the hook for his actions and ignores WHY he did what he did. Tell me why the vast, vast majority of mass shooters are white males. There HAS to be a reason. I personally think it's our entitlement culture that specifically targets white males. When white males are denied what they think they are entitled to, usually wealth or women, they freak out and go on killing sprees. Usually they only kill single people but we're seeing over and over again them killing multiple people.

Saying that these people are just "crazy" completely negates everything that could be used to make sure that this kind of thing doesn't happen again. The fact that the statistics on this subject are so one dimensional shows a clear relationship between the two factors. White males are statistically far, far more likely to commit mass shootings or be serial killers than any other race and gender combination. We need to look at WHY while not just falling back into the excuse of "O he was just crazy.".

Another point of this is that the police never investigated him. You wanna know why? Because nothing he did or said was any different than what other white boys have said over and over again. The point is that he wasn't DIFFERENT in any way until he started shooting. The responses to his manifesto and acts clearly show why his behavior didn't raise any red flags. There have been so many many who have said "Think about this before you reject someone ladies." and things of that nature. You're also ignoring that white males consistently threaten violence against women all the damn time. Especially when women say something that they don't agree with or might just limit their privilege.

There is a PROBLEM in this culture where white males think threats and violence is an acceptable solution and it needs to be addressed. There is nothing "crazy" about any of these shooters unless you say that all white men are crazy in that way. I don't know if you're actually a white male but if you are you should look at yourself and at your friends and try to FIX this problem rather than push it under the rug again. Even if you're not white but are still male you should do it as well. While it's not as prevalent in other races these issues still occur. And before you say something like "I don't do stuff like that." or "NOT ALL MEN!" think about if you've ever threatened someone with anything violent even jokingly. Think about if you've ever said even vagely threatening things againt someone who has rejected you. These things contribute greatly to this culture that creates the white male (or just the male of any race seeing as even if we open up to other races you'll find that only one mass shooter has been a woman) mass shooter.
I don't think you know what you're talking about. If it's white males that feel the most entitled to the world and feel that the use of "threats and violence" is acceptable moreso than any other race, why are 34.4 per 100,000 blacks murderers while only 4.5 per 100,000 whites murderers? [1] Explain.

Because the motive behind the murders is different as well as amount of victims and type of victims. The majority of violence in the black community is due to gang violence. That type of violence is similar to say, the violence in Syria between two rival/enemy faction. If you don't see that then I can't help you.
Ah, yes. Of course. Blacks killing each other as a matter of course in their culture isn't evidence that they believe the use of "threats and violence" is acceptable.

No, the real culprit is the white men who become murderers much less often. They're the truly violent demographic. Indeed.

-THE POINT-
-YOU-
Persuasive! You've completely changed my outlook on the matter with this post!
Mei tsuki7
Roih Uvet
Mei tsuki7
Roih Uvet
Mei tsuki7
Roih Uvet

You are because you'd have to miss the victim blaming that occurs throughout the country, including on main stream media.
Disputing that someone is a victim in the first place doesn't qualify as victim blaming.
Roih Uvet
Mei tsuki7
Roih Uvet
Mei tsuki7
Roih Uvet

One, you're a racist b*****d and I hope you get nailed to a burning cross. Two, threats and violence are acceptable, otherwise the cops wouldn't use them.
conconconcrete wall
Roih Uvet
Mei tsuki7
Roih Uvet
Mei tsuki7
Roih Uvet

One, you're a racist b*****d and I hope you get nailed to a burning cross. Two, threats and violence are acceptable, otherwise the cops wouldn't use them.
How am I racist, exactly?
Roih Uvet
conconconcrete wall
Roih Uvet
Mei tsuki7
Roih Uvet

How am I racist, exactly?

Don't get smart with me, Mr. "Black people are a violent population."

Profitable Gatekeeper

7,450 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Millionaire 200
Roih Uvet
Mei tsuki7
Roih Uvet
Mei tsuki7
The Daario Naharis
Mei tsuki7
O and that guy who just shot up a California street.

Elliot Rodger? He seems to be a special sort of crazy. I mean, have you read his ******** Manifesto? I've seen snippites of it and his web history, and given the Racism, the standard "Revenge against humanity" and tendency for "X guy stopped me from harassing a girl. I am going to kill him and then kill myself.", the desire to kill his family members, the fact that he speaks as though he is trying to sound like a cartoonish villain, his referring to himself as a "God" and as having a better life than him as being a "Crime", his plans to turn his apartment into a torture room... etc.

Point being, this guy is a special sort of ******** up and has a history of being so, not just you're average "Nice Guy" webcomic author. (Say what you will about that guy, he isn't Elliot Rodger)

Though I'd be willing to amend my statement from "any" to "most"

I think the point shes getting at is that there is a difference between living in a kill or be killed type of environment and someone saying "she wont go out with me... I WILL KILL THEM ALL". I heard that many people living in poor areas (And I mean those really shitty places that don't even have grocery stores) suffer from PTSD, so there might be something to that.
None are actually exclusive to race, but both are issues that people don't want to recognize.
Annata Cannata
Roih Uvet
Mei tsuki7
Roih Uvet
Mei tsuki7

I think the point shes getting at is that there is a difference between living in a kill or be killed type of environment and someone saying "she wont go out with me... I WILL KILL THEM ALL". I heard that many people living in poor areas (And I mean those really shitty places that don't even have grocery stores) suffer from PTSD, so there might be something to that.
None are actually exclusive to race, but both are issues that people don't want to recognize.
I've lived in fairly rough neighborhoods most of my adult life. It's not pleasant. That said, it's a very male trait to lash out and be rebellious when denied opportunity. Men are both socialized and biologically programmed to be proactive, and that means when they hit a glass ceiling on their goals, out comes the hammer, smash goes the glass. I realize that the glad ceilling usually refers to a wage gap scenario, but I think the concept can be a applied to any marginalized person and that you can sympathize with it.

I think blacks are more likely to lash out because they're more likely to be poor to begin with. Fact of the matter is, the price you pay for oppressing someone, I mean really oppressing them, is often having to deal with a legit sociopath at the end of it. Nobody gave a ******** about them when they were weak, why should they give a ******** about you, and your so-called rights that you can't enforce, now?

Hopefully this little rant elucidates the outlook of someone sick of being on the receiving end of punishment and denial.

EDIT: Just to clarify, I don't think Elliott Rodgers was motivated byoppression, given his affluent background, but just being a garden variety nutcase Columbime lunatic.

Profitable Gatekeeper

7,450 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Millionaire 200
Roih Uvet
Annata Cannata
Roih Uvet
Mei tsuki7
Roih Uvet
Mei tsuki7

I've lived in fairly rough neighborhoods most of my adult life. It's not pleasant. That said, it's a very male trait to lash out and be rebellious when denied opportunity. Men are both socialized and biologically programmed to be proactive, and that means when they hit a glass ceiling on their goals, out comes the hammer, smash goes the glass. I realize that the glad ceilling usually refers to a wage gap scenario, but I think the concept can be a applied to any marginalized person and that you can sympathize with it.

I think blacks are more likely to lash out because they're more likely to be poor to begin with. Fact of the matter is, the price you pay for oppressing someone, I mean really oppressing them, is often having to deal with a legit sociopath at the end of it. Nobody gave a ******** about them when they were weak, why should they give a ******** about you, and your so-called rights that you can't enforce, now?

Hopefully this little rant elucidates the outlook of someone sick of being on the receiving end of punishment and denial.

EDIT: Just to clarify, I don't think Elliott Rodgers was motivated byoppression, given his affluent background, but just being a garden variety nutcase Columbime lunatic.

I'd have to agree with that. We are trained to expect a high standard of living. You gotta have the house, the car, the chick, the interesting career, etc. You see it glamorized on tv shows/movies all the time. People get frustrated/depressed when these are unreachable. Things can go south pretty fast when people have no support.
Annata Cannata
Roih Uvet
Annata Cannata
Roih Uvet
Mei tsuki7

I'd have to agree with that. We are trained to expect a high standard of living. You gotta have the house, the car, the chick, the interesting career, etc. You see it glamorized on tv shows/movies all the time. People get frustrated/depressed when these are unreachable. Things can go south pretty fast when people have no support.
It's not even necessarily that they can't have those things because they're unreasonable demands out of life. But just imagine being in a situation where playing by the rules gets you abused about as much as breaking them.

What's the point, exactly, of playing nice? Flipping the table over makes worlds of sense when the game was designed for you to fail at it. I hear a lot about the "social contract", but I think a lot of people that speak of this don't fully appreciate what that entails. See, the point of a "social contract" is to benefit all parties involved moreso than it hurts them. You accept certain restrictions on your behavior in exchange for certain protections from other people. Some of those protections is the protection of not being raped, or robbed, or mutilated.

But one aspect of it is that those of low status may earn high status, and all the rewards that come with it (luxury, respect, and, yes, sexual opportunity). It's part of the deal. If you start out low status and can't realistically earn high status, the deal is off. Just as your average man isn't "entitled" to your body, you aren't "entitled" to your average man's good behavior, either. Individuals, and, indeed, the general population, has the very real option of reverting to chimp mode and wrecking your s**t, assuming they're tough enough to do so, if they aren't satisfied with the results of good behavior. If it's an individual doing it, they might have to deal with certain consequences for stepping out of line, but from their outlook, it still might be worth the hassle. After all, at least for a little while, they got what they wanted out of life. A social contract is a huge negotiation between different groups of people. It's a balance of interests, and nobody entirely gets their way.

So I can say, as a poor man, when a rich, attractive woman says "you aren't entitled to my body" or a rich, established businessman says "you aren't entitled to a job", I hear "I don't have to negotiate with you--this shindig is on MY terms and only my terms." I hear, "I offer you no carrot, just a stick." And I warn them, "Good luck enforcing it."

Do you see my point?

Now, personally, my criminal inclination (should I decide to break the law seriously) is more along the lines of bank robbery or drug pushing as opposed to rape because what I want out of life (in terms of romance/sex) is to "be wanted," not to "get laid." But you need to understand that a lot of men really do just want to "get laid" and that they're going to act in their own best interests -- even if you disapprove.
Mei tsuki7

I think another issue is identifying what a red flag is. Is someone posting violent messages on the internet a red flag? Should they be gone after by police? Or does it take more than that? What's your opinion?

*Shrug*

I'm not nearly clever enough to know. At least not in terms of some Silver Bullet solution.

I imagine removing animus against mental issues and improving accessibility to services would be a good step.

We can't know for sure if it is sincere, or an effort to safeguard his fathers career, but I heard his parents had known he had problems for some time. It is simply a question of what they had tried to do about it.

Sending the police after them is (Unless it's some sort of last minute action movie sequence to attempt to stop this sort of thing right as it is about to happen) a decidedly bad idea, given the recent string of deaths in that category.

Even beyond that, I think trying to handle it via the "Throw da book at em." policy will just create "Willowbrook 2, Electric Shock Therapy Boogaloo" for anybody who is regarded as slightly odd.

This also steps into the biggest roadblock to improving this sort of thing - Personal Liberty vs. Public Safety with a big dash of violation of privacy as well.

I do think working on social issues would help, so as he might not feel entitled to sex to begin with, but another part of me thinks then he'd just be shooting up office buildings because he didn't have a job.

I mean, a part of me thinks its simply a matter of violent personalities being violent personalities and misogynistic entitlement was just the mask it wore this time (If I may phrase it as such without undermining the severity of his disturbing attitudes).

I dunno.

Unholy Abomination

22,350 Points
  • Sunny Side Up 100
  • Abomination 100
  • Conventioneer 300
TerraParticle
Ok so I'm curious, I swear feminazis tend to be crazy and exaggerate bullshit. But I can't in all good conscious say that, rape isnt a serious issue. My problem is, what is really the dealio... is girls getting raped and murdered for denying the friend zone a valid threat around every corner? Or what?

This might not seem serious, but really I'm drunk so it's probably got a slight humorous tone to it. But it's in all a legit inquiry. What the ******** is the deal, so take it as such, I'm not a troll or anything lol

Come back when you're not drunk. Maybe then you'll be able to type a coherent sentence.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff