Welcome to Gaia! ::

Bogotanian
1. 1919 Eclipse experiment - checkplates of stars were measured during an eclipse and before to determine the deflection of starlight as it passes the sun. Newton predicted (in arc seconds) a .9 change, while Einstein said it would be 1.8. There were problems with the experiment. First they used a mirror to deflect the light into a telescope, which can drastically increase the errors. Also, the heat of the sun on the mirror can warp it, thus introducing further errors. Thirdly, Air cooling during an eclipse can cause considerable air turbulence, which effects starlight. This gave a very random cluster of stars when the data came in.
So was the mirror heated too much by sunlight (during an eclipse!) or did the Earth cool down so much during the few minutes the eclipse lasted that cold air above caused unpredictable turbulences?
How can you contradict yourself so much in one paragraph?!

I'm starting to get the impression this is a troll thread.

Bogotanian
2. Flying-clocks experiment 1971

4 clocks were flown eastward than westward. It was claimed that the results supported relativity. But

a. see clock paradox again - In relativity you can't choose 1 clock as a standard, they are all relative to each other
b. Essen points out that not all of the results had been used. If they had, the results would have been
(nanoseconds) westbound gain - 3.3 correct value theory
(nanoseconds) eastbound loss - .49 correct value theory
The correct values are over 3 times than those that were expected. Hafele admits "the difference between theory and measurement is disturbing."
Again: GPS.

Dapper Reveler

Did we ever reach any conclusions in this thread?

Dedicated Firestarter

23,975 Points
  • Blazing Power of Friendship Wave 200
  • Comrades in Arms 150
  • Firestarter 200
Bogotanian
I'm sorry,but I had to bold a segment of your speech. If I have been pissing and moaning, what has been your whole chain of replies? You seem to be the one that is angry, not me.

I site proof, you just give out the same tired links and even links that DISPROVE your own statements. As evidenced with one of the last links you gave out. Yeah, I looked up that stuff, guess what? Basically everything I looked up, DISPROVED you. In fact, let me give you a link as to why I always discredit everything you say about Einstein, or just never mention it.
Sites like aether theory dot com I discredit. Also, Einstein himself never seemed to have actually made this theory. Again, discrediting it. It was made up by some guy LONG after Einstein died. Good to know that.

Quote:
Anyways, if you're talking about Failed experiments, I will enlighten you on failed experiments that don't actually prove Relativity. (refer to last OP video for more info)

They sure as hell don't prove the aether. As a matter of fact, every single test done, the only people who say it worked, as those who are actively biased. Like the dudes you mentioned before, the one that made a interferometer. Dude went in, and people using his own tests, his own stuff, went to prove him right. And FAILED. They used his own calculations, found out he was doing s**t wrong, and then were, 'well dude was biased' and found out he was trying to have things to FIT HIS CONCLUSION. This means every experiment this guy does is now discredited. Since he was trying to prove the aether, and not allowing the aether to prove it's own self. If it existed. Which it doesn't. I'm still waiting for actual measurements. Don't find any that aren't explained by earthly means.

Quote:
First of all, a problem with Special Relativity is the clock or "twins" paradox.

Please... just don't. You are not going to actually.... ******** it.

Quote:
If you launch a rocket from the earth, and it later returns, the clock on board will have run slower than the earth clock.

TIME RUNS SLOWER THE FASTER YOU GO. You can get on a ******** plane, go all around the earth, and notice that your watch is now a few, if not a full minute behind. If you do not understand this, then you have NO IDEA what time is. No idea at all. You see, I actually looked this stuff up, because my favorite hero, THE FLASH actually can go so fast he can turn back time. I wanted to see how that could work. It doesn't is the simple answer.
Prove to me you actually know this premise. Cause time goes slower the faster you go, we've known this for awhile now. We've studied it quite a bit. Seriously. Stop being stupid.

Quote:
Yet, as far as the person on the rocket is concerned, it is the earth that is rushing away from the rocket.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Doesn't this just prove the point we've been pointing out to you since the beginning? That it is subjectivty that makes us think things are how we 'see' them. We need to overcome this bias.
Think about this. You walk into a room bare of all things but a lamp with the bulb showing. This lamp is lit, now as you walk around the lamp you notice no matter which place you go around the lamp the light is POINTING at you. Just because it looks like that, doesn't mean anything. The light is radiating from basically ALL points. Not just AT YOU.
You are stupid if you think that the light is following you.

Quote:
According to relativity, the rocket can claim that it is the earth that is moving, than the earth's clock could be slower than the rocket's clock, yet how can a clock be both slower and faster than another clock?

Again, the faster you go, the more time slows. We know this. We've measured it. We can experience it EVERY ******** day. You are stupid if you think this breaks relativity. Tell me, do you know what the word RELATIVE means?
Cause there is a reason why its called RELATIVE-vity.

Quote:
That is a big problem.

No it doesn't. Einstien did not know everything, but people like you know, smarter then you'll ever be, like... you know HAWKING, know this. Relativity isn't wrong. Its relative, to the universe. Its not a problem at all. You only think its a problem because you don't know anything at all.
Consider this: If you are driving down a highway at night, can you tell EXACTLY where the oncoming headlights are? You know in your head they are to the side of you, but they LOOK like they are right in front of you, until they get fairly close. Just because they LOOK like they are in front of you, does not mean they are in front of you. They go past you.
Why the allegories? Cause I doubt your intelligence that's why.

Quote:
Experiments that "confirm" relativity.

Experiements that 'confirm' geocentrism: ......................nope nothing.

Quote:
1. 1919 Eclipse experiment - checkplates of stars were measured during an eclipse and before to determine the deflection of starlight as it passes the sun. Newton predicted (in arc seconds) a .9 change, while Einstein said it would be 1.8. There were problems with the experiment. First they used a mirror to deflect the light into a telescope, which can drastically increase the errors. Also, the heat of the sun on the mirror can warp it, thus introducing further errors. Thirdly, Air cooling during an eclipse can cause considerable air turbulence, which effects starlight. This gave a very random cluster of stars when the data came in.

Yet haven't we been able to better detect this with the advent of satellites? I mean the best things they had the time was that. Nowadays we have hundreds of things, HUNDREDS of things. I guess you wont mention that.

Quote:
1979 - Will (believed in relativity) admits that the results would not have been accepted as proof today.

Because of the flawed materials. If I decided to make paper mache would I be better to use normal paper? Or should I use tissue paper? It can work, decently, with tissue, but works even better with normal paper, or news paper. If all I had is tissue paper to work with, can any blame me? You seem to be blaming them for only being able to use things they had available at the time. Yet, all these scientists, all working all across the globe... none of them have ever disproved RELATIVE-vity.

Quote:
a. Explicable by other means
b. Results were from half to twice the predicted value
c. they had only a 30% accuracy

Again, materials. Do I need to keep going over how you are expecting someone from ancient Egypt to be able to build a working jet engine at their time, or should I keep using analogies?

Quote:
This would not have been accepted as a proof for relativity today, but in 1919 it was, and it stuck.

Yet, all the people working day in and day out using relativity, and finding it out its right don't matter. Of course they don't.

Quote:
2. Flying-clocks experiment 1971

User Image

Quote:
4 clocks were flown eastward than westward. It was claimed that the results supported relativity. But

Quote:
a. see clock paradox again - In relativity you can't choose 1 clock as a standard, they are all relative to each other

Yeah, tiny minuscule flaws in the machined parts. but even done today with as close as we can get, with computers, and the best damn clocks ever made, the results are.... survey says! still Proving time goes slower, the faster you go!

Quote:
b. Essen points out that not all of the results had been used. If they had, the results would have been
(nanoseconds) westbound gain - 3.3 correct value theory
(nanoseconds) eastbound loss - .49 correct value theory
The correct values are over 3 times than those that were expected. Hafele admits "the difference between theory and measurement is disturbing."

Depending on which way the jet stream went. I would need to know that. Planes go slower, going against a jet stream, particularly at that time. Nowadays we just use up more fuel. Still doesn't disprove relativity.

Quote:
3. The Precession of Mercury's Perihelion Axis

Quote:
a. Einstein said that the unexplained 43 arc seconds was explained by his theory, and that classical mechanics were powerless
b. Charles Poor found that if there were a small amount of material around the sun, this would fully explain the 43 seconds (also applies to the eclipse experiment above). That's an explanation without relativity

No it explains that as you go faster, time goes slower. We know this. Scientists know this, in fact there was a recent experiment using a ******** crystal using LIGHT to actually SLOW TIME down to a crawl. Seriously. You are discounting hard science and its hard to actually take you seriously that you don't know basic principles of mechanics.

Quote:
c. The small bulge of the sun's equator causes the precession almost exactly
d. 1898 - Gerber accounted for the precession by assuming that gravity propogated at the speed of light
e. Moon, using the mass of the stars (Mach's Principle) obtained the same results as Einstein without relativity

Yes, cause 1898 is the perfect place it base all science off of. Lets keep putting arsenic and lead in paint, and use asbestos in everything that has to do with heat. Makes perfect sense. If you can't find a MODERN DAY scientist, then you are really pathetic. Then again its to be expected.

Quote:
- 1859 - Fizeau found that light was deflected by flowing water. Einstein claims that the classical explanation does not diminish the conclusiveness of the experiment as a result in favor of relativity. Poor's comment

Did you know that because of the water in the air and the land, that water is blue and since blue is a color that reflects the water in the air reflects the blue color. Thus making the air look blue. In fact the color of the sky in mars is RED. Wonder why. Must be nothing, after all if the aether existed we couldn't ever make it to mars and thus all those landers, and photos and every single satellite image is a conspiracy.

Quote:
"These two sentences should be read and reread... How can an experiment equally well explained by several different theories, be a 'crucial test' in favor of one of them?" If a classical explanation works for something,why is that taken as proof for relativity?

An experiment putting lead in paint makes the paint last longer, the colors more vibrant, and the paint apply better. Doesn't mean we should still use lead in paint.

Quote:
4. Muons
- Short-life high velocity particles that should have disintegrated before reaching the earth's surface. Relativity predicts that moving clocks are slower, and it was added as a proof for relativity. However, Setterfield and Barnes showed that their life can be longer due to their speed, independent of relativity. We get the same contradiction as in the "clocks paradox."

User Image

Quote:
Those are some of the experiments that were taken to be proof of relativity.

Yeah, until we proved it time and time again with better science. But again, you like using people from 1800's as proof of your claims. Must be the fact that no modern day tech actually SUPPORTS your claims. Sad day.

Quote:
Your response?

Dedicated Firestarter

23,975 Points
  • Comrades in Arms 150
  • Firestarter 200
chainmailleman
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third-party_evidence_for_Apollo_Moon_landings

What's wrong with this whole entry?

The fact that it is wikipedia?

Quote:
A lack of evidence?

No there is plenty of evidence of us landing on the moon.

Quote:
So far only the moon rocks would constitute real evidence as there is an obvious lack of photographic evidence.

So the only evidence is the rocks, taken from the moon, by the people sent to the moon, since we didn't have the tech at the time to build a robot to grab the rocks, and that is proof of what? That we went to the moon? Oh no, can't be.

Quote:
I wonder what Wernher von Braun was doing in Antarctica picking up moon rocks for?

You do know what asteroids are don't you? People have actually found MARS rocks on earth too. Must mean that there is no such thing as a mars rover. Aside from that, the reason why many asteroids hit the poles is because of... well you know.... the POLES.

Also it makes sense the age of the moon, since the moon is what not only put earth into is spin, but made, well, the moon. basically think of a baseball hitting a stationary basketball on the side. This sends the basketball twirling no? The thing is, the asteroid that was the moon, hit us, imparted basically all of its energy onto us, and then stayed because it didn't have enough energy to escape our gravity. The reason why don't have more moon debris because of this is because they are buried down near the core of the earth and thus don't make it up for breathing room. The moon is older then the earth because as an asteroid it was flung towards us a longer time ago then when we formed. Simple as that.
No need to get complicated with conspriacy theories.

Tricky Conversationalist

8,750 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Avgvsto

Nope. there's some good stuff posted by a few participants, but the vast majority of this s**t is trolls feeding trolls... It's kind of what the ED turned into....

Dapper Reveler

chainmailleman
Avgvsto

Nope. there's some good stuff posted by a few participants, but the vast majority of this s**t is trolls feeding trolls... It's kind of what the ED turned into....
isnt that mostly what debate is in general?

Tricky Conversationalist

8,750 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Faustine Liem
chainmailleman
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third-party_evidence_for_Apollo_Moon_landings

What's wrong with this whole entry?

The fact that it is wikipedia?

Quote:
A lack of evidence?

No there is plenty of evidence of us landing on the moon.

Quote:
So far only the moon rocks would constitute real evidence as there is an obvious lack of photographic evidence.

So the only evidence is the rocks, taken from the moon, by the people sent to the moon, since we didn't have the tech at the time to build a robot to grab the rocks, and that is proof of what? That we went to the moon? Oh no, can't be.

Quote:
I wonder what Wernher von Braun was doing in Antarctica picking up moon rocks for?

You do know what asteroids are don't you? People have actually found MARS rocks on earth too. Must mean that there is no such thing as a mars rover. Aside from that, the reason why many asteroids hit the poles is because of... well you know.... the POLES.

Also it makes sense the age of the moon, since the moon is what not only put earth into is spin, but made, well, the moon. basically think of a baseball hitting a stationary basketball on the side. This sends the basketball twirling no? The thing is, the asteroid that was the moon, hit us, imparted basically all of its energy onto us, and then stayed because it didn't have enough energy to escape our gravity. The reason why don't have more moon debris because of this is because they are buried down near the core of the earth and thus don't make it up for breathing room. The moon is older then the earth because as an asteroid it was flung towards us a longer time ago then when we formed. Simple as that.
No need to get complicated with conspriacy theories.

K so you admit that moon rocks (and even mars rocks) are collected from the poles, yet use these very same rocks as proof we went?

And wikipedia is one of the better sources on the internet. As if there was a photo of any landing site, surely someone would have suggested it's addition to the article.

Tricky Conversationalist

8,750 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Avgvsto
chainmailleman
Avgvsto

Yup. I'm going to go smoke a bowl and rethink my life....

*captcha: It's over (LOL)

Dapper Reveler

chainmailleman
Avgvsto
chainmailleman
Avgvsto

Yup. I'm going to go smoke a bowl and rethink my life....

*captcha: It's over (LOL)
id recommend praying or meditating. Maybe theres a forum for debate which is, but this debating is not really helping you in anyway. If you feel the need to deeply think about things it'd probably be better of in some less nuance form.

Dedicated Firestarter

23,975 Points
  • Comrades in Arms 150
  • Firestarter 200
chainmailleman
K so you admit that moon rocks (and even mars rocks) are collected from the poles, yet use these very same rocks as proof we went?

Actually not all metorites are from the poles. Its easier to find them at the poles since well, you can SEE the holes and the digging may actually be easier, and since its the poles which are owned by no one, there is no tedious mucking about with politics. You'll notice that the majority of meteorites aren't from the poles but a various other places. Its only well you know, the meteor showers you get people scouring the poles. Since with the you know, barrier, small meteorites get repelled, or fall into the weakest points of it, which are the poles.
Also we don't use these rocks as proof we went. We use them as proof they got hit by other things and thus we live in a chaotic universe and so far in our human history have been extremely lucky. Except the ones that hit Russia. Man, poor Russia.

Quote:
And wikipedia is one of the better sources on the internet.

If only because it provides, for the most part, links to better sites and stuff.

Quote:
As if there was a photo of any landing site, surely someone would have suggested it's addition to the article.

There you go.

Fun fact, I have a small pamphlet from the time about the lunar landing. Its from 1965 or so. Don't have it on me at the moment and am too lazy to go digging for it in my chaotic black hole of a room. I might, later. Oh fine. I found it easily.
I have the one with the guy floating in space with the shuttle... in the middle.
This one.
I got it because my school was throwing it all away and I am a hoarder. Not kidding about that. I fight hard not to hoard things.

Tricky Conversationalist

8,750 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Faustine Liem
chainmailleman

Actually not all metorites are from the poles. Its easier to find them at the poles since well, you can SEE the holes and the digging may actually be easier, and since its the poles which are owned by no one, there is no tedious mucking about with politics. You'll notice that the majority of meteorites aren't from the poles but a various other places. Its only well you know, the meteor showers you get people scouring the poles. Since with the you know, barrier, small meteorites get repelled, or fall into the weakest points of it, which are the poles.
Also we don't use these rocks as proof we went. We use them as proof they got hit by other things and thus we live in a chaotic universe and so far in our human history have been extremely lucky. Except the ones that hit Russia. Man, poor Russia.

Quote:
And wikipedia is one of the better sources on the internet.

If only because it provides, for the most part, links to better sites and stuff.

Quote:
As if there was a photo of any landing site, surely someone would have suggested it's addition to the article.

There you go.

Fun fact, I have a small pamphlet from the time about the lunar landing. Its from 1965 or so. Don't have it on me at the moment and am too lazy to go digging for it in my chaotic black hole of a room. I might, later. Oh fine. I found it easily.
I have the one with the guy floating in space with the shuttle... in the middle.
This one.
I got it because my school was throwing it all away and I am a hoarder. Not kidding about that. I fight hard not to hoard things.

Jarrah White will explain the rocks

And the photos must be third party source, like from China or something.

If you still have those pamphlets, you should keep them and pass them down to your kids. Those are heirlooms!

Dedicated Firestarter

23,975 Points
  • Comrades in Arms 150
  • Firestarter 200
chainmailleman

If you still have those pamphlets, you should keep them and pass them down to your kids. Those are heirlooms!

I can try to find third party pics.
Its kinda hard you know, cause I'm not Chinese.
I only have the one little thing, the rest are magazine cutouts.

Tricky Conversationalist

8,750 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Faustine Liem
chainmailleman

I can try to find third party pics.
Its kinda hard you know, cause I'm not Chinese.
I only have the one little thing, the rest are magazine cutouts.

And the landing site? A crashed satellite does little to help the Apollo argument.

Mora Starseed's Husband

Intellectual Combatant

11,225 Points
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
  • Mark Twain 100
Bogotanian
* says modern scientists are violating the Scientific Method by maintaining an alleged 'status quo'
* doesn't provide legitimate examples of any scientists doing the above
* insists that mined quote is relevant even though it's out of context
* continues deliberately misinterpreting quotes and repeating self instead of addressing arguments
* invokes numerous appeals to authority but fails to provide solid quotes for them
* plays semantic games to shift the goalposts when faced with difficult material
* thinks his own assumptions are somehow different than everyone else's
* insists that the Earth doesn't revolve around the sun, and the the Speed of Light is mutable
* suggests that M-M experiment's 'null' result is some kind of conspiracy to conceal Luminiferous Aether
* suggests the same about Relativity
* fails to understand that M-M's result was called 'null' because it fell into standard deviation
* fails to acknowledge that recent versions of M-M have been performed with better equipment, yet yielded the same result
* seems not to realize that the Sagnac Effect is completely compatible with Special Relativity
* says opponents "need science behind their words"; dismisses such things out of pocket when provided
* fails to provide requested quotes to support argument; insists they're legit, though
* quote, emphasis mine: "The aether has never been disproven, they just don't want you to know that..."
* blatantly misrepresents opponents' arguments
* doesn't deny that this is more about proving ID/Creationism/God than it is about Geocentrism
* says he chooses not to base a cosmological model off of unfounded assumptions; believes in Geocentrism and Aether
Now, it would be enough to quit this conversation because of your obtuse, pseudoscientific views alone, but there's actually one thing you said that's even more repugnant:
Bogotanian
...if Earth was definitely confirmed to be THE center of the universe, I think that you would change your mind on some things.
I would, given that there were proof, because it would be undeniable, but we're nowhere near that level of confirmation.I like that concession you made. If earth was shown to be the center, it would be undeniable that we are special and here for a reason.Not only is that absolutely not what I said, but coming to the conclusion you did takes a pretty significant effort, which I believe shows how duplicitous you are about such things.

How dare you twist my words to put that Creationist nonsense in my mouth? If we were proven to sit at the center of the universe, it would indicate utterly nothing about us being 'put here' by something or someone. I can't fathom why you'd think those two things are intrinsic of one another, because there is squat to suggest they would be even if we were at the center of the universe.

I'm done with this nonsense. You have disregarded anything resembling intellectual integrity, invoked too many logical fallacies and double-standards, and misrepresented too many peoples' views for me to take you seriously. After addressing the following few things, I have no intention of responding to your further posts in this thread, because you've shown that all you'll do is regurgitate the same things you've already vomited up over and over again, as though repeating them ad nauseum somehow makes them true.

For the sake of clarity:
Bogotanian
Arcoon Effox
Bogotanian
He said he would do everything he could to get out of the intolerable position of admitting a stationary earth. Talk about being influenced by philosophy.
Strawman.
What Edwin Hubble is a Strawman?
No, he isn't. Your remark about being influenced by philosophy was.
Bogotanian
Arcoon Effox
Bogotanian
...(Krauss is) obviously not a geocentrist, so he's probably pretty ticked by these results.
Assumptive strawman.
How is this a strawman?
By suggesting that he's angered by the results to support your insinuation about some imaginary status quo.
Bogotanian
Experiments ... to show that the earth was moving around the sun ... all failed.
Ever hear of Parallax and the Aberration of Light? Parallax shows that the stars move relative to the earth in an annual cycle, and the Aberration shows that light moves relative to the earth in an annual cycle (90 degrees out of phase with the first one). If the Earth is stationary, then these are two curious, contradictory facts - but if it orbits the Sun, then it is explained: the Earth is moving relative to the stars, and as it moves its speed causes the aberration of light. Even the phases are in sync.

Want another example? How about the spacecraft we send around the solar system which successfully reach their destinations based on a heliocentric model of the solar system?

Enjoy hand-waving those away or coming up with red herring responses; doing so won't make such things go away, though...
Bogotanian
As for the speed of light...The OPERA experiment claimed that (Neutrinos moving faster than the Speed of Light) was "probably from a broken cable."
...and it was, as numerous tests since then (such as CERN) have confirmed, and the OPERA team itself says.
Bogotanian
What if Biblical Literalism and ID were true?
That's irrelevant, because it's not.

Bats aren't birds, grasshoppers don't have four legs, and rabbits don't chew cud (and are in fact incapable of regurgitation), pi doesn't equal 3, the Flood doesn't hold water on numerous levels, there's no archaeology for the Exodus, Matthew 16:28, etc, etc... not to mention the s**t-ton of science one has to blatantly ignore in order to think ID is true.

Mora Starseed's Husband

Intellectual Combatant

11,225 Points
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
  • Mark Twain 100
Exoth XIII
Bogotanian
Seeing as how you've completely discounted the aether, your explanations are rather base and pointless.

Wait. What?
Your explanation for what prevents the earth from falling into the sun... is basically "magic?"
Actually, I'm pretty sure it's "Goddidit", to be more specific...

~~~
chainmailleman
And the landing site? A crashed satellite does little to help the Apollo argument.
Try Googling NASA's LROC pics of the Apollo landing sites.

Here's a page to some.Here's an article from its 2013 pass that shows the Apollo 11 landing site.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff