Welcome to Gaia! ::

ghosts11nin
Pikachew Tobacco
ghosts11nin
User Image

IM JUST GONNA LEAVE THIS HERE AGAIN.
I WENT TO A SITE FOR TOP 50 GAMING BADASSES.
THIS IS WHAT I GOT.
All I see is a woman who chose to be an attractive model so she could garner attention and make money. Kate Upton is a big name in the modeling industry. The people she signed a contract with decided to use the image for its intended purpose. There is no hatred. There is no discrimination. This woman is making a living just by being beautiful.

The site isn't assuming you're male.

User Image

You simply came across one of the many advertisements on their site. You keep leaning on confirmation bias to justify your points. What would that list have proven anyway? It's the opinion of one man and the people in the comment section weren't afraid to let the author know how stupid they thought his list was.

It has NOTHING TO DO WITH THE MODEL. Are you daft? The site is assuming I'm a bro. I'm not a bro. I don't care to be inundated with half naked ladies while I'm trying to read about games, thanks.
What the s**t? No discrimination? Isn't the idea that visiting a site meant for all genders and showing them an ad totally geared towards a certain gender discrimination? Like heyyy we assume you are a straight boy so here you go. And don't say it's for lesbians too because she is all the standards of white male fantasy misogynistic bologna going on here.

It's not one of many, it's legit the only one I am getting?

Oh one list?
OK
How about all the OTHER LISTS ON THE INTERNET?
There are a dozen million, and maybe 15 girls per top 50 list. And I'm being generous with that number.

If you want to do it factually without bias, go to wikipedia and look at the list of strong female characters in games. Name all the ones that aren't half naked or sexualized all to high holy hell. Go ahead, I'm waiting.

Care to try again?

If it has nothing to do with the model, why proclaim that she is the standard of "white male fantasy misogynistic bologna?" Why use her as an example at all? I have proven to you that there isn't anything misogynistic about the photo, and the fact that there are other types of neutral advertisements on the site (and for your article) shows that they're trying to attract more than one demographic. You weren't a victim of misogyny, but rather coincidence. If you keep getting Kate Upton, too bad. Not everyone does. I keep getting Pharrell. The site assumes nothing.

You're trying to make your opinion valid by pointing to other opinionated lists. You don't prove a point with an invisible majority.

What constitutes as a strong character is subjective; therefore, nothing is factual about a wikipedia list of strong female characters.

Being sexualized shouldn't counter the strength a character possesses. This, of course, is my opinion. I recognize that some people don't agree and see sexualization as a crutch that potentially ruins characters. I don't have a problem with sexy women who are also physically and mentally powerful. They are fictional and have no impact on society as a whole.

The original definition of misogyny has been changed by feminist propaganda. It should not include sexual objectification (as shown on wikipedia). Official dictionaries don't do this. If you were to look at the definition of misandry on wikipedia, you'd see that sexual objectification of men doesn't fall under that category. I wonder why that is?

Making women really sexy in video games is not misogyny. Stop trying to make it a blanket term for normal biological urges. Designers are creating desirable characters that people, in general, find attractive. This is why women at cons dress up as these characters. It's not wrong to admire a strong female that is also sexy. This is also a sexual fantasy for women as well. You anti-GGers talk as if women never want to be desired or never put themselves in the shoes of a sexy heroine. If men want to have sex with Lara Croft or Samus, who cares? They aren't going to go outside and treat every woman like garbage. Everything has been rule34'ed anyway.

TL;DR: Arguing about sexual ethics in video games is pointless unless you can prove that it makes men mistreat women in real life. All you guys do is proclaim that stereotypes exist, but offer no factual evidence as to how this affects real people on a macro level. You can't. You sit there and whine about the inevitable existence of tropes without admitting that humans can differentiate between reality and fantasy, thus making your whining useless.
ghosts11nin
Roih Uvet
ghosts11nin

The s**t we aren't entitled to representation in videogames? Then you aren't. Kill all boys in videogames and make it all crotch shots at this point. OH but more boys play games so they count more. Not like it's not almost half at this point lol.

I propose people who are against misogyny in games to start writing articles, making videos, starting movements, sharing information to spread awareness, making more inclusive games. OH WAIT THEY ARE ALREADY DOING THIS. Kickstarter has like 367474574 games dedicated to LGBTQIA stuff and PoC and girls. Feminists everywhere are writing, tweeting, blogging, vlogging, etc. OH WAIT YOU GUYS ARE COMPLAINING ABOUT THAT TOO. wtf cant win.

TELL ME. Do you know how to make games/run a private server/dissect visual information in a critical fashion to understand the microcosm of media and therefore the macrocosm of our world? No? Stop spouting random bullshit then.
Then good for them. I hope they enjoy their games. Just don't try to shove that s**t down my throat and we're solid.

Also yes, I do know how to do all of those things. I'm a programmer for a living.

Who is shoving that s**t down your throat?
This is a gamergate thread. There are obviously going to be people like me who don't agree that it's about ethics. You must agree it is about ethics since you don't think it's about misogyny...so what is your point again?

COOL.
What about the visual analysis part?
I actually don't believe it's about ethics or misogyny. I think it's about not allowing a political minority who many of us refer to as "SJWs" (for lack of a better term, since there is a recognizable ideology, even though you don't have a title for it) to control the video game industry, or for that matter, any industry. I think the "ethics in journalism" thing is a BS excuse for the actual point, which nobody wants to admit because they'd find it un-PC.

That said, yes, I think I'm capable of doing complex visual analysis and literary theory. That said, I don't have much interest in it because 1) aside from random strangers on the Internet that enjoy arguing with me about politics and so on, nobody cares what I think of these books, and 2) I have better things to do with my time, like work and school projects.
ghosts11nin
User Image

IM JUST GONNA LEAVE THIS HERE AGAIN.
I WENT TO A SITE FOR TOP 50 GAMING BADASSES.
THIS IS WHAT I GOT.
So what's your point?
Pikachew Tobacco

You're awesome.
Quote:
Most indie games are just avant garde arthouse kusoge anyway. Aside from a small handful of games nothing of value will be lost.

And with that, my side is decided. ******** YOU, GG.
GSK Lives
Quote:
Most indie games are just avant garde arthouse kusoge anyway. Aside from a small handful of games nothing of value will be lost.

Can you at least get some major voice behind it before you go rushing to judgment?
Roih Uvet
GSK Lives
Quote:

Can you at least get some major voice behind it before you go rushing to judgment?

They already have.

Also, is this implying that they do have a leadership structure and organization?

Eloquent Elocutionist

6,050 Points
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200
GSK Lives
Roih Uvet
GSK Lives
Quote:

They already have.

Also, is this implying that they do have a leadership structure and organization?

Someone speaking confidently about what others should do next does not a leadership position make. I sincerely doubt the majority of GGers will get behind an attack on all indie game development. They certainly aren't tweeting about it at all.
GSK Lives
Roih Uvet
GSK Lives
Quote:

They already have.

I don't think they have a strict leadership structure as in the military, but I definitely think that some users matter more relevance than others in terms of how much clout they hold, and this applies across the board.

For example, I think Anita Sarkeesian is a noteworthy voice in feminism, especially in the "are video games misogynist?" debate, in no small part because of her massive viewership. The can be said for hotwheels or InternetAristocrat on the other side of the aisle.

While their influence is entirely informal since nobody of import appointed them and they weren't elected or anything, they are more representative of their side of the argument than some random schmo.

This is why I'm asking for bigger names; because in grassroots movements, you always get fringe nutcases. There are feminists that feel men should be castrated or massacred, but I don't think that's representative of feminism. If Anita Sarkeesian or my State Senator Kristen Gillibrand suggested it, though, I'd expect serious backlash to be meted out or view the lack of it as tacit support from less noteworthy feminists.

So will, specifically, said what about indie games? smile

Profitable Gatekeeper

7,450 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Millionaire 200
Pikachew Tobacco

Making women really sexy in video games is not misogyny. Stop trying to make it a blanket term for normal biological urges. Designers are creating desirable characters that people, in general, find attractive. This is why women at cons dress up as these characters. It's not wrong to admire a strong female that is also sexy. This is also a sexual fantasy for women as well. You anti-GGers talk as if women never want to be desired or never put themselves in the shoes of a sexy heroine. If men want to have sex with Lara Croft or Samus, who cares? They aren't going to go outside and treat every woman like garbage. Everything has been rule34'ed anyway.

I don't really like this argument because it ignores the fact that there isn't that much else besides sexy characters to dress up as. I always gotta make up my own characters like Were Witch Wolf or Roman Cat Empress or Alien as Skittles(Cracked gave the idea for that one). Anyway, I'm rambling. My point is that not everyone wants to be sexy in this one specific way (if at all) and there aren't too many options for them.
Yoshpet
GSK Lives
Roih Uvet
GSK Lives
Quote:

They already have.

Someone speaking confidently about what others should do next does not a leadership position make. I sincerely doubt the majority of GGers will get behind an attack on all indie game development. They certainly aren't tweeting about it at all.

But they are YT'ing about it, and I consider that more serious.
Roih Uvet
GSK Lives
Roih Uvet
GSK Lives
Quote:

They already have.

I don't think they have a strict leadership structure as in the military, but I definitely think that some users matter more relevance than others in terms of how much clout they hold, and this applies across the board.

For example, I think Anita Sarkeesian is a noteworthy voice in feminism, especially in the "are video games misogynist?" debate, in no small part because of her massive viewership. The can be said for hotwheels or InternetAristocrat on the other side of the aisle.

While their influence is entirely informal since nobody of import appointed them and they weren't elected or anything, they are more representative of their side of the argument than some random schmo.

This is why I'm asking for bigger names; because in grassroots movements, you always get fringe nutcases. There are feminists that feel men should be castrated or massacred, but I don't think that's representative of feminism. If Anita Sarkeesian or my State Senator Kristen Gillibrand suggested it, though, I'd expect serious backlash to be meted out or view the lack of it as tacit support from less noteworthy feminists.

So will, specifically, said what about indie games? smile

SyrianPartisanGirl stated that they're poorly made, only played by hipsters, and are mediums strictly to transmit a feminist social justice agenda. You know, like Hotline Miami 2 depicting a violent murder and rape scene in it's first level. Totally SJW hipster material there.

I posted it from another GG tagged video from that long haired gent with the metal gear codec screen on his YT.

That message I posted earlier is from a GG'er over in LD.

Eloquent Elocutionist

6,050 Points
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200
GSK Lives

Who is making videos and why is that more serious than the trends on the actual hashtag? Just how many people do you think are endorsing this idea?
Yoshpet
GSK Lives

Who is making videos and why is that more serious than the trends on the actual hashtag? Just how many people do you think are endorsing this idea?

I posted a couple already, and I take more seriously someone willing to get in front of a camera and give their opinion realtime than just texting and running.

How many? Enough for me.

Maybe if you lot got ORGANIZED, this would be better dealt with....

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff