Welcome to Gaia! ::

Malevolent Firestarter

3,400 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • PvP 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
DisenchantedYoungAdult
The Herald of Death

A coordinated insult is no more unethical.

I'm going to agree to disagree here. In my opinion, it is unethical.

By all means tell me what ethical rule it violates.

Quote:

The Herald of Death
No, it is not the same because unlike an interview you can both talk at the same time.

It doesn't matter when one side is bullied out of the conversation by the other.

You are not owed space on any site to talk. That isn't being bullied out. And it was not a conversation.

Quote:

The Herald of Death
That's a lie on your part, they did not. Also don't ******** try and speak for all gamers, I am one.

But they did. And I wasn't trying to. How many articles were posted on the same day about the death of the gamer identity? Too ******** many.

They didn't. I'd say that when you don't make an argument for it except to state it the no's get the win.

Death of the gamer identity isn't an insult rolleyes
The Herald of Death

By all means tell me what ethical rule it violates.

It violates ethical journalism. I believe I said that, then again, I also believe you haven't been paying attention.

The Herald of Death

They didn't.

They did.

The Herald of Death
Death of the gamer identity isn't an insult rolleyes

Your opinion. Of course it expands beyond that. You see, the death of the gamer identity in these articles was based on some idea that all gamers are immature basement dwellers who hate all outsiders. I'm a gamer, hell I make games now, and that doesn't really describe me. It does seek to paint me in a negative light though, hence, it being insulting.

Dapper Codger

7,825 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
ghosts11nin
lol lets all pretend there are plenty of cool female characters (leads? no lol. not many) that aren't sexualized,

Joanna Dark, Chell, Bastila, Lyn, Kerrigan, Mizuti, Raine, Paula...I can continue with more, if you'd like.

Quote:
show me proof that strong female characters (leads? what leads? oh. heather from SH3) in games = 50% and I'll stop complaining about misogyny.

You'll need to be more specific. What defines "strong female character?" Also, what kind of games?
ghosts11nin
lol lets all pretend there are plenty of cool female characters (leads? no lol. not many) that aren't sexualized, trans characters, and gay characters that aren't flamboyant caricatures.

Let's pretend that a subjective viewpoint actually influences unrelated subjective viewpoints in a somehow objective manner.

Quote:
show me proof that strong female characters (leads? what leads? oh. heather from SH3) in games = 50% and I'll stop complaining about misogyny.

Besides the calls to identify what is "strong," please identify what you mean by 50%. Lay out the ground rules for your challenge, because it's incredibly vague as it stands.
Quote:
It is not up to POC or females or the marginalized or oppressed people of the world to educate the standard, normal, token, default or what-have-you people of the world because it is so incredibly easy to do it for yourself.

I'm calling poe's law on this paragraph.
ghosts11nin
Objective? Ok. Go to wikipedia and type in STRONG FEMALE CHARACTERS IN GAMING and count how many there are. Then go and type of STRONG MALE CHARACTERS IN GAMING or just MALE MAIN CHARACTERS IN GAMING and see how many there are. This is objective using quantifiable data as pertaining to the amount of characters.

Strong: not weak.
Strong: well fleshed out characters with back stories that are not simply vessels for the viewer to fill stereotypical ideas about a certain sect of people.
Strong: not being sexualized for the purpose of the viewer,

"Sexualised" is a subjective viewpoint; your line is not my line. "Sexualised" does not have any influence on whether a character is strong; and you appear to be pretending otherwise.

Also, you said characters, and only added (leads? no lol, not many) as a side comment.

Quote:
I googled the percent. It's 48% and not 50% so I'm expecting STRONG female characters that are LEADS for about 50% ROUGHLY because that's the percent of women playing games.

When I say "Lady" in this section of the response, please understand that it is shorthand for "a female lead character whose qualities are acceptable to your particular subjective standards for what counts as strong."
Also, when I say "counterbalanced" (other than the first time,) it's shorthand for "due to this game not having a Lady, another game must be supplied which has a Lady."

Your "50%" is still vague, and I'll explain this with some questions --- which will hopefully shed some light on the problem of even rough quotas:

1. Does 50% refer to:
-All games (eg, Tetris must be counterbalanced)
-All games with characters (eg, each annual EA Sports game must)
-All games with characters and plots?

2. If it's all games:
-Do re-releases (eg, Pokemon Alpha Sapphire) count as separate games?
-Do split games (eg, Pokemon Red / Green / Blue) count as one game or several?
-Do games that attempt to have a Lady and fail then need to be counterbalanced themselves?
-If the game has a Lady but is otherwise the worst dregs of shovelware, does it still count?

3. Gender issues:
-How are games with gender-selectable protagonists (or player characters) counted?
-How are games with transgender protagonists counted? (SJW-level feminism tends to count all of them as male, so the question is valid.)
-How are games with gender-undefined protagonists counted? This can include starship shmups where the pilot is never shown (eg, Raiden) and games with robotic / animal / alien protagonists that don't "express" gender.
-Do "weak males" (male protagonists who, were they female instead, would not count as Ladies) count against the number that must be counterbalanced? (Eg, Bad Dudes vs. Dragon Ninja. The characters obviously aren't physically weak because they're bad enough dudes to punch ninjas; but they have no backstory whatsoever, which fails a criterion of being strong.)

4. Unusual protagonist cases:
-How does a game count if its protagonist is not the player character (eg, Final Fantasy 10)
-How does a game count if it has multiple protagonists (eg, Gensou Suikoden 3, or Wild Arms, each of which has three clear protagonists?)
-How does a game count if it's not clear who the protagonist is, but you have definite candidates (eg, Final Fantasy 6 with Terra or Celes)? What if the candidates are of different gender?

Just from all that, you can see the problems. And that's not getting into the subjective questions of what is strong enough to count as STRONG - especially when "sexualised" is included as a criterion.

And, at the end of it all, your claim is that it is a sign of misogyny - misogyny! - that a quota based on your opinion of these things is not satisfied. Meanwhile, your quota also ignores several rather STRONG (even by what your estimations are likely to be) female characters that happen to not be the protagonist in their respective games.

Quote:
If women do not want strong, well fleshed out, interesting, non-sexualized female characters to play as I don't even know because why would you want to play as malibu barbie when you can have Aya Brea circa 1997 a la Parasite Eve and blow s**t up.

Have you thought that maybe some women prefer to play as male (or gender-indeterminate) characters anyway? I know a few people who adore the Batman and Assassin's Creed series.

Have you thought that maybe some of them WOULD want to play as Malibu Barbie? I mean, someone's buying the vapid shovelware that gets produced.

You could have Aya Brea; then again, you could have Virginia Maxwell (Wild Arms 3, ca. 2002) or Chris Lightfellow (Gensou Suikoden III, also ca. 2002) and avoid the Survival Horror genre. I could name others, but I'll stick to them for brevity's sake.

Quote:
It is not up to POC or females or the marginalized or oppressed people of the world to educate the standard, normal, token, default or what-have-you people of the world because it is so incredibly easy to do it for yourself.

It's up to the person making a claim to be clear about what the claim is and why it should be taken seriously. It doesn't much matter if you're male, female, European, Asian, African, or a genetically engineered female gijinka Espeon mecha pilot from the planet Nándoridh - it's up to you to support your claim.

(Actually, if you are that last one, then you're stealing from me.)

Quote:
I provided personal evidence as per me playing video games since I've been 8 years of age (I'm 27 now) to show, from personal experience, what is going on the gaming world. This is not about journalistic integrity or else Anita, Zoe, and Felicia wouldn't be targeted and attacked for being female.

I've been playing since 5, and I'm 37. So you weren't around when Midway risked (and ultimately lost) their business relationship with Namco... by buying the "Crazy Otto" hack of Pac-Man and turning it into the vastly superior Ms. Pac-Man as a thank-you to the women gamers who were largely responsible for Pac-Man's still-unparalleled success. (Pac-Man is second only to Space Invaders, all-time.)

Of course, according to Anita, that bit of history doesn't matter one lick because Ms. Pac-Man is distinguished from Pac-Man using tertiary sexual characteristics. (Not to mention, a company sabotaging itself by going out of its way to thank women for being customers... doesn't exactly fit her narrative.)
Ancient history uncovered.

Quote:
As per gamergate not being responsible for doxxing Felicia and others or sending death threats, if it barks like a dog it's probably a dog.

Ignoring the fact that other canids bark like dogs, of course.

Lonely Poster

8,850 Points
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Cool Cat 500
It's a pointless drama circus and I want it to die.

Dapper Codger

7,825 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
ghosts11nin

My challenge is not vague. I provide personal experience. Now I have given you uncited statistics.

Fixed. Where are you getting the numbers?

Eloquent Elocutionist

6,050 Points
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200
ghosts11nin
Do I really have to do this for you or are you a grown up and can you google s**t yourself?

Do you tell your college professors that too when they want to know where you're getting your ideas?

I think it's pretty sad that you think the Fatal Frame gals aren't strong protagonists. Nevermind what they ******** endure during the length of the game, but you want to tell me that a character like Rei has no in-depth backstory or motive with the whole plot about her dead fiance Yuu, and her complex relationship with her assistant Miku because you see tits on screen?

Sex negative feminists project so hard. Work on your self-esteem and the rest of the world will no longer seem like it's mocking you.
ghosts11nin
If a character is created to cater to a certain demographic's sexual inclinations it cannot inherently be taken seriously as a strong character because one of it's intended purposes it to titillate. The only time this isn't true is when the character created is SEXUAL and not intended for the purposes of a strict sect of sexual characteristics that aim to please the viewer, a la Bayonetta is a power fantasy and highly sexual and even provactive but was not created with the intent to cater to the typical hetero male standards.

So you agree that sexualised appearance does not intrinsically speak against a character's ability to be strong.
...and then you go on to disagree because your position requires it.
Do you understand the problem here?

Or, in short.
You: "X is the case"
Me: "Not necessarily."
You: "Yes, necessarily, except when..."

Quote:
sandokiri

Your "50%" is still vague, and I'll explain this with some questions --- which will hopefully shed some light on the problem of even rough quotas:

1. Does 50% refer to:
-All games (eg, Tetris must be counterbalanced)
-All games with characters (eg, each annual EA Sports game must)
-All games with characters and plots?

--IT IS NOT MY JOB TO GOOGLE FOR YOU.

--IT IS YOUR JOB TO DEFINE YOUR TERMS. Your 50% is the quota that you are demanding - specifically, this: "I'm expecting STRONG female characters that are LEADS for about 50%"
I'm going to snip everything else, because I don't feel like repeating myself on specific sub-points. Instead, I'm going to try the question from a different angle.

When you demand this particular quota, what subset of games must satisfy it?

Or, in other words:

A 50% quota means this: for each game that has Y property, a game must be supplied that has a STRONG female lead.

What is Y? Is it:

a) That the game has a STRONG male lead?
b) That the game has ANY male lead?
c) That the game has any male characters, while not having a STRONG female lead?
d) That the game has any characters at all, while not having a STRONG female lead?
e) That the game exists, while not having a STRONG female lead?

Without knowing what Y is, we cannot do any objective comparison to determine whether the quota is actually being met, or to what degree it is not. Also, without knowing what Y is, we cannot determine whether the quota demand rises to the level of special pleading.

Do you understand now? And from this, do you understand why this might be "so hard to comprehend" ?

Oh, and on Vampire Saver / Darkstalkers 3: BB Hood, Queen B, and Lillith are also female characters in that cast. Huitzil is the neutral, being an Aztec war robot; Jedah (the antagonist) is male.

As for Wild Arms: if there is anything between Cecilia and Rudy, what of it? If you're seriously suggesting that a STRONG female character isn't allowed to harbour feelings of love... then you may want to reconsider your overall positions concerning "misogyny."

Quote:
In your own examples , such as games that feature three protags, two are male. Why not feature 4 protags and have 2 girls and 2 guys? No it's too hard omg. Therefore, misogyny.

Suppose two of them were female. Would it then be misandry?
ghosts11nin
--IT IS NOT MY JOB TO GOOGLE FOR YOU.
You make a claim you prove it. If you don't there's no reason for us to take your claim serious.

Unrelated: you make the same errors when replying as this geocentrism guy. Boo-something. I could look the name up but i'm too lazy at the moment. Does this mean anything?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff