Welcome to Gaia! ::

The20
Yoshpet
GSK Lives
Even after realizing how astroturfed by Anon goons the whole movement was.

So what does this secret shadow court of 4Channers actually want out of all this? confused
Same thing they want out of everything: lulz.
Or maybe they actually believe they can achieve or prevent some kind of social change.

Anyways: not directly related to the thread but somewhat interesting:
http://www.pewinternet.org/2014/10/22/online-harassment/
Someone conducted a study about online harassment (going from name calling to threads of violence). tl;dr: men are harassed a little more overall, women have to deal with more sexual harassment and way more stalkers, men get more threads of violence.
Their definition of harassment isn't correct because it doesn't include disagreeing with a woman as a form of sexual harassment

Magical Girl

black_wing_angel
HMS Thunder Child
Capt Buckner CTO
Nobody Famous
Capt Buckner CTO
You know, I've been doing some thinking as to exactly why the GG pushback has been so strong, and I think I got it. Gamers are just plain sick of their industry shitting on them.

Think about it. How much discontent has there been going around the past couple years in the community? Paid DLC to complete games, DRM rights and stuff like that, and in the past year or two, there's been an extremely vocal but tiny minority that's been demanding everything tailored to their tastes, and getting it.

Its also been pretty clear that a lot of publishers don't give a ******** what devs want to do.

First half is why the gamers are pissed, second half is why a lot of devs started backing GG. Makes sense to me.

I'm confused, who is this vocal minority and in what ways are they getting everything tailored to their tastes?

It's not so much a group as it is an ideology that is spreading everywhere, not just the gaming community: politically correct all the things. All male characters in a war game? Sexist. Black guy dies first? Racist. You know, stupid little things like those that nobody cared about a couple years ago, now it's suddenly a big deal. However, this ideology tends to be part of social justice SOP.
Inclusion must be really hard to stomach when you're already included, so why bother with anyone else, amirite?

After all, ain't nobody matter ain't like yew.

Who's not being included? Between developers and characters alike, pretty much every kind of person you can have, is represented in video games, at least by some margin or another.
98% white dudes, 1% white women, 1% everyone else. Reckon that's equitable to some folks.

Conservative Regular

HMS Thunder Child
98% white dudes, 1% white women, 1% everyone else. Reckon that's equitable to some folks.

It's more like 98% everyone else 1% white dudes, 1% white women

Basing this on my steam library with 400 games

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
Texadar
HMS Thunder Child

List the games, please.

Conservative Regular

CuAnnan
Texadar
HMS Thunder Child

List the games, please.

Games being everyone else

Age of Mythology: Extended Edition
Aliens vs. Predator (2014)
Alpha Protocol
Anno 2070
Antichamber
Aquaria
Arcane Worlds
Arsenal of Democracy
Assassin's Creed® III
Atom Zombie Smasher
Banished
Blood Bowl: Legendary Edition
Cities in Motion 2
Cortex Command
Crusader Kings (2)
Darksiders II
Dead Island
Democracy 3
Divinity: Original Sin
Don't Starve
Edge of Space
Skyrim
Fallout 1 2 3 NV
Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams
Gish
Goat Simulator
Guild Wars 1, 2
Gun Monkeys
Impire
Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning
Mirror's Edge
Portal 1, 2
PROTOTYPE 2
Saints Row 2,3,4
The Ship
Sid Meier's Civilization 1,2,3,4,5
Silverfall
Sonic Adventure 2
Star Trek Online
Starbound
StarDrive
Take On Mars
Tropico 4
Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines
Viscera Cleanup Detail
Warframe

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
Texadar
CuAnnan
Texadar
HMS Thunder Child

List the games, please.

Games being everyone else

Age of Mythology: Extended Edition
Aliens vs. Predator (2014)
Alpha Protocol
Anno 2070
Antichamber
Aquaria
Arcane Worlds
Arsenal of Democracy
Assassin's Creed® III
Atom Zombie Smasher
Banished
Blood Bowl: Legendary Edition
Cities in Motion 2
Cortex Command
Crusader Kings (2)
Darksiders II
Dead Island
Democracy 3
Divinity: Original Sin
Don't Starve
Edge of Space
Skyrim
Fallout 1 2 3 NV
Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams
Gish
Goat Simulator
Guild Wars 1, 2
Gun Monkeys
Impire
Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning
Mirror's Edge
Portal 1, 2
PROTOTYPE 2
Saints Row 2,3,4
The Ship
Sid Meier's Civilization 1,2,3,4,5
Silverfall
Sonic Adventure 2
Star Trek Online
Starbound
StarDrive
Take On Mars
Tropico 4
Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines
Viscera Cleanup Detail
Warframe

1) That is substantially less than 400.
2) Of the ones you've listed, men make up significantly more than 1% where people are present.
3) Link to the supposed 400
ghosts11nin
lol omg we are still talking about this.
please someone prove to me that games are inclusive. please stop complaining that teh womenz and poc are ruining yur gam3z because SOCIAL JUSTICE. please stop saying zoe whored around to get her game a good review, proof of teh g00gle says no she did not. stop bitching about anita because obviously she's just analyzing the role of teh womenz in games and gaming culture and it's rully not so serious that a whole GAMERGATE bullshit needs to be unleashed. you can watch someone play a game and not have to play it to analyze it because its visual, not really that hard yo. its like when you analyze movies cuz you watch them and s**t. the only difference is anita is probs not mashing buttons or grinding for hours, she's pouring over tropes in teh vidya gam3z via analysis. i don't even give a ******** if she uses stills from someone else's game. popular manga artists plagiarize magazines and other animu artists constantly and are never vilified. I have been plagiarized personally (I don't do animu) and don't throw my s**t around. like god calm down.

why the ever loving ******** are people so angry about JOURNALISTIC INTEGRITY in GAMING? it's a damned video game. be more mad that games aren't more inclusive, that black people always die first, that there are hardly any strong womenz that aren't totally with boobs out or clothes falling off or whatever, etc etc. why are people so mad about something so asinine instead of what matters? liek idk EQUALITY? how bout that?

I'm only bitchy because I'd love to play more strong ladies with less boobies everywhere and kill zombies at the same time. I think it'd be really cool to have a homo main character too because idk dragons age was all I got mang.

and I'm typing like an idiot because I fail to see the point in expressing my opinion in an intelligent manner because no one can seem to express to me, in an intelligent manner, how and why GAMERGATE is even a thing. it just seems like another excuse for MRA ******** and 8chan crazies to jerk off tbh.

quote me. give me specific proof as to why this is even an issue that is making news. all im seeing is that people are getting death threats and people are saying that ITS NOT GAMERGATE HOW CAN YOU PROVE IT and yet who the ******** else would death threat a feminist gaming person/whatever? except GAMERGATE or MRA people. who else? really? think about it. who else? no one else. that's who.

now we are arguing about proof. if it barks like a dog, it's probably a ******** dog.

Word.
Yoshpet
sitting cow
Yoshpet
sitting cow
did you tell him you play dress up with your avatar too?

Are you mocking a fellow Gaia Online user for dressing up their avatar? How is that supposed to be embarrassing for them?

do you talk about your poop or any other private matters with just anybody? no b/c some things are just not talked about, unless you're a social retard

So that wasn't sarcasm? You think he actually explained how Gaia users dress up their avatars instead of discussing how "GamerGate" is a hot topic in general?

Well...okay, then. neutral

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
OP has a token basic Joker avatar and an edgy rape mentioning atheist username, I can't believe I wasted something like 30 seconds of my time to give them the benefit of doubt and read that post. Oh dear dear dear...

First things firsts, what that girl did had little to nothing to do with feminism, at all. Of course they maybe claimed they did that "to be a good feminist", but seriously, what kind of weak a** excuse is that? And still, crying when facing that acts may bring consequences is what kids do when such s**t happen. It's nothing revolutionary, that's what kids, and sometimes adults do. And it's kind of ironic that you relate doxxing directly to feminism, when gamergaters are KNOWN to do that stereotypically to women they consider to be "corrupting video game journalism" (or just women who gets involved publicly in video game at this point...).

But then, I guess it was probably stupid of me to expect something that would make the whole gamergate fiasco appear less ridiculous than it already is...

Eloquent Elocutionist

6,050 Points
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200
HMS Thunder Child

Are you talking about playable protagonist only or representation at all? I would agree to the former but not the latter.

Character creation is the way of the future! I prefer the games that let me make my player.
ghosts11nin
stop bitching about anita because obviously she's just analyzing the role of teh womenz in games and gaming culture
If you can call that "analyzing" i can call a 1% representation rate of a 20% demographic "inclusive".
* Numbers purely fictional.

Magical Girl

Yoshpet
HMS Thunder Child

Are you talking about playable protagonist only or representation at all? I would agree to the former but not the latter.

Character creation is the way of the future! I prefer the games that let me make my player.
Pros and cons to that. Character creation prevents deliberate tailoring of a story to fit a particular experience whereas a set protag will fit that role nicely. Character creation, unless it's extremely in depth like some Choice of Games titles, will typically result in a generic, colorblind (and genderblind, etc) portrayal, and even CoG games don't do much better. I want queer stories. I want stories about people of color. About people with disabilities, et cetera. Character creation is good, too, don't get me wrong, but it's not the only way of the future. Getting out of the white man bearded hero rut is necessary, too.

I AM R U's Spouse

Blessed Rogue

10,775 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Mega Tipsy 100
HMS Thunder Child
black_wing_angel
HMS Thunder Child
Capt Buckner CTO
Nobody Famous
Capt Buckner CTO
You know, I've been doing some thinking as to exactly why the GG pushback has been so strong, and I think I got it. Gamers are just plain sick of their industry shitting on them.

Think about it. How much discontent has there been going around the past couple years in the community? Paid DLC to complete games, DRM rights and stuff like that, and in the past year or two, there's been an extremely vocal but tiny minority that's been demanding everything tailored to their tastes, and getting it.

Its also been pretty clear that a lot of publishers don't give a ******** what devs want to do.

First half is why the gamers are pissed, second half is why a lot of devs started backing GG. Makes sense to me.

I'm confused, who is this vocal minority and in what ways are they getting everything tailored to their tastes?

It's not so much a group as it is an ideology that is spreading everywhere, not just the gaming community: politically correct all the things. All male characters in a war game? Sexist. Black guy dies first? Racist. You know, stupid little things like those that nobody cared about a couple years ago, now it's suddenly a big deal. However, this ideology tends to be part of social justice SOP.
Inclusion must be really hard to stomach when you're already included, so why bother with anyone else, amirite?

After all, ain't nobody matter ain't like yew.

Who's not being included? Between developers and characters alike, pretty much every kind of person you can have, is represented in video games, at least by some margin or another.

Sure, but there's no reason they CAN'T be. Just, nobody's found enough reason to do so, on any sizable scale.

Salty Gawker

Just letting you know that if you want to know more about gamergate. Go visit /r/Kotakuinaction or 8chan/gg/

Now back to emailing advertisers on how abusive gawker is.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff