Welcome to Gaia! ::

Shady Cat

sanityscraps

1. It does make sense. See all the statistics I've been talking about. Anywhere between one in ten and one in two men my age are actually rapists. The fear is statistically sound.

2. It's not for being men. It's for male behavior that's taught by our culture, and excused by our total joke of a justice system.

I'm confused, because you keep citing the statistics, but you won't acknowledge my point. Not all men are rapists, statistically or otherwise. It's unfair to lump everyone in the rapist boat just because men are statistically more likely to rape women*. It's perpetuating the idea that men are rapists while you're trying to stop them being rapists, without really having any purpose in mind for that hatred. It's pure emotion, which is understandable, but not a good basis for a paradigm.

This probably isn't a very good analogy and I'll probably get a kick in the a** for it, but it's like being consistently told you're never going to be a good pianist and then expected to keep practicing. I get that you want to change the culture and change the statistics, because any decent person wants to stop rape happening and everyone has their own views about how to do that, but the misandry is just... pointless. Hating men isn't going to stop rapists being rapists, and it's going to alienate the men who want to help solve the issue because you're saying "I hate you, feel bad for maybe being a rapist, and help us fix the problem."

*sorry for the heteronormativity, by the way, just trying to keep the discussion a bit simpler
tales of melody
sanityscraps

1. It does make sense. See all the statistics I've been talking about. Anywhere between one in ten and one in two men my age are actually rapists. The fear is statistically sound.

2. It's not for being men. It's for male behavior that's taught by our culture, and excused by our total joke of a justice system.

I'm confused, because you keep citing the statistics, but you won't acknowledge my point. Not all men are rapists, statistically or otherwise. It's unfair to lump everyone in the rapist boat just because men are statistically more likely to rape women*. It's perpetuating the idea that men are rapists while you're trying to stop them being rapists, without really having any purpose in mind for that hatred. It's pure emotion, which is understandable, but not a good basis for a paradigm.

This probably isn't a very good analogy and I'll probably get a kick in the a** for it, but it's like being consistently told you're never going to be a good pianist and then expected to keep practicing. I get that you want to change the culture and change the statistics, because any decent person wants to stop rape happening and everyone has their own views about how to do that, but the misandry is just... pointless. Hating men isn't going to stop rapists being rapists, and it's going to alienate the men who want to help solve the issue because you're saying "I hate you, feel bad for maybe being a rapist, and help us fix the problem."

*sorry for the heteronormativity, by the way, just trying to keep the discussion a bit simpler

Being unfair to men's feelings is not more important than being unfair to women's non-consent. Priorities.

And again, it's not "misandry." It's survival instinct. Statistics are on my side; you're asking me to ignore that for the sake of men's feelings?

Shady Cat

sanityscraps

Being unfair to men's feelings is not more important than being unfair to women's non-consent. Priorities.

And again, it's not "misandry." It's survival instinct. Statistics are on my side; you're asking me to ignore that for the sake of men's feelings?

I'm not asking you to ignore the statistics. I'm trying to understand why it has to be a dichotomy, why you think that respecting and caring for women is contingent on hating men. I'm questioning the purpose of propagating generalized hatred about a gender that denies the same regard for personal wellbeing that rape culture denies women.

The solution to rape statistics isn't to demonize a demographic, or at least, it shouldn't be. It's not conducive to a solution. I'm not trying to ask you to go out there open-armed and blindly optimistic, because you're right: there are statistics, and unfortunately that's not the world we live in. But what are you hoping to achieve by hating all men?

Rebel Reveler

12,250 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
sanityscraps
tales of melody
sanityscraps

After reading along the last few posts, I feel like jumping in.

It's not an either/or situation. You can respect anyone's right to consent or refuse to sex, and anyone's feelings, regardless of their gender. Should rape be taken seriously? Yes. Is it an awful crime? Yes. Does hating all men make any sense as a response to this? Not particularly.

In several cities across the country, there are "Walk A Mile In Her Shoes" parades, where men take a stand against sexual abuse of women. At the end of the Take Back the Night event in my town, the women's march was met at the end with a crowd of male supporters who cheered them on.

Should women be wary of strangers, especially strange men? Yes, that would be wise. Is it especially understandable for someone who has survived a trauma be warier than most? Completely. But trying to argue that this wariness is somehow scientifically justified does not make sense and will not help bring others to support your cause. Think of it this way-- would you treat one in four women as rape victims, whether or not they've survived a rape or not, because, statistically, one in four women will be raped?

Eloquent Elocutionist

6,050 Points
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200
sanityscraps
Yoshpet
sanityscraps
Yup. This guy can keep drinking the MRA coolaid if he wants. "Feminazi stole my ice cream and hurt my feelings! wahmbulance "

You're a self-identified feminazi and I've never once called you that. I also notice that someone else claimed you were drinking feminist cool-aid and you've quickly tried to re appropriate that idea. A little honesty would go a long way for helping your point.

Just the tiniest shred of honesty...

HAHAHAAHAHAHAHA, MRA HAS NO CONCEPT OF IRONY. I self-identify as a "feminazi" IRONICALLY. You do know that it's actually an incredibly sexist term invented by the shitstain known as Rush Limbaugh, right? I don't use it in earnest. But I guess I shouldn't be surprised that someone who dances around every criticism of his sexist argument under the guise of hurt feels, ignores statistics proving him wrong, and constantly misrepresents my argument has no reading comprehension ability.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

I'd say something disparaging but you're pretty good at destroying your own credibility. Keep talking, you're doing me favors.

Eloquent Elocutionist

6,050 Points
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200
sanityscraps

Because it's impossible to do both? You can't be sensitive and fair while simultaneously supporting women's rights?
tales of melody
sanityscraps

I'm not asking you to ignore the statistics. I'm trying to understand why it has to be a dichotomy, why you think that respecting and caring for women is contingent on hating men. I'm questioning the purpose of propagating generalized hatred about a gender that denies the same regard for personal wellbeing that rape culture denies women.

The solution to rape statistics isn't to demonize a demographic, or at least, it shouldn't be. It's not conducive to a solution. I'm not trying to ask you to go out there open-armed and blindly optimistic, because you're right: there are statistics, and unfortunately that's not the world we live in. But what are you hoping to achieve by hating all men?

Again with the ******** straw man.

I. DON'T. HATE. ALL. MEN. In fact, my boyfriend and I, who I love very much, have been making fun of all of you. What I am is wary of men who I don't know because of all the evidence that shows that it's a reasonable thing to be. Literally all I'm saying is that I find it hard to trust men, given the culture we live in that basically encourages people to rape me.
prance prance nicker
sanityscraps
tales of melody
sanityscraps

It's not an either/or situation. You can respect anyone's right to consent or refuse to sex, and anyone's feelings, regardless of their gender. Should rape be taken seriously? Yes. Is it an awful crime? Yes. Does hating all men make any sense as a response to this? Not particularly.

In several cities across the country, there are "Walk A Mile In Her Shoes" parades, where men take a stand against sexual abuse of women. At the end of the Take Back the Night event in my town, the women's march was met at the end with a crowd of male supporters who cheered them on.

Should women be wary of strangers, especially strange men? Yes, that would be wise. Is it especially understandable for someone who has survived a trauma be warier than most? Completely. But trying to argue that this wariness is somehow scientifically justified does not make sense and will not help bring others to support your cause. Think of it this way-- would you treat one in four women as rape victims, whether or not they've survived a rape r not, because, statistically, one in four women will be raped?

I'm not going to repeat myself. See my last reply to the douche with the same avatar as you.

You literally went from saying that my position is "wise" to being not "justified" in the same paragraph. What? And for your last question, I prefer to treat all women as potentially having been victims by just not being an a*****e about sexual assault. I don't ever victim-blame, slut-shame, or try to police women's behavior "for their own good."

Rebel Reveler

12,250 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
sanityscraps
prance prance nicker
sanityscraps
tales of melody
sanityscraps

Should women be wary of strangers, especially strange men? Yes, that would be wise. Is it especially understandable for someone who has survived a trauma be warier than most? Completely. But trying to argue that this wariness is somehow scientifically justified does not make sense and will not help bring others to support your cause. Think of it this way-- would you treat one in four women as rape victims, whether or not they've survived a rape r not, because, statistically, one in four women will be raped?

I'm not going to repeat myself. See my last reply to the douche with the same avatar as you.

You literally went from saying that my position is "wise" to being not "justified" in the same paragraph. What? And for your last question, I prefer to treat all women as potentially having been victims by just not being an a*****e about sexual assault. I don't ever victim-blame, slut-shame, or try to police women's behavior "for their own good."

/trying very hard not to make a comment about us Cheeps being statistically likely to disagree with you

Apparently you misunderstood what I wrote: that wariness is understandable, but sexism is not. I'm glad you don't victim-blame or slut-shame, why don't you try to stop men-blaming, too?

Your oft-quoted statistics are not some unalienable proof that your standpoint is right. If you want to get into the world of statistics, there are numbers on just about everything-- except maybe on female-female rapes, or rapes in which the male was the victim. Do you dislike black men more than white men, but Asian men better than white men? Because, statistically, black men are the most likely rapists and Asian men the least likely-- but, statistically, Thailand has a high incidence of rape (though Egypt is fairly low). This is not the Matrix; people are not numbers, and numbers can not and should not tell you how to make sense of the real world around you.

You seem to be attempting to turn a strong emotional response into a logical viewpoint, and that's a metamorphosis that doesn't really work out. Considering how much emotion affects your logic, I doubt I will convince you of much of anything, so continuing this debate will probably have little consequence.
prance prance nicker
sanityscraps
prance prance nicker
sanityscraps
tales of melody
sanityscraps

/trying very hard not to make a comment about us Cheeps being statistically likely to disagree with you

Apparently you misunderstood what I wrote: that wariness is understandable, but sexism is not. I'm glad you don't victim-blame or slut-shame, why don't you try to stop men-blaming, too?

Your oft-quoted statistics are not some unalienable proof that your standpoint is right. If you want to get into the world of statistics, there are numbers on just about everything-- except maybe on female-female rapes, or rapes in which the male was the victim. Do you dislike black men more than white men, but Asian men better than white men? Because, statistically, black men are the most likely rapists and Asian men the least likely-- but, statistically, Thailand has a high incidence of rape (though Egypt is fairly low). This is not the Matrix; people are not numbers, and numbers can not and should not tell you how to make sense of the real world around you.

You seem to be attempting to turn a strong emotional response into a logical viewpoint, and that's a metamorphosis that doesn't really work out. Considering how much emotion affects your logic, I doubt I will convince you of much of anything, so continuing this debate will probably have little consequence.

Are you ******** serious, you racist piece of s**t? Men of color are not more likely to be violent. They are more likely to be arrested and punished more harshly than white people who committed the same crimes as them, however, but that's a discussion for another day.

Emotion doesn't suddenly make me wrong. Women have an emotional stake in rape culture. Just because I'm angry doesn't mean I'm wrong. Statistics do show us how the world is, however, and you can't just dismiss them because "omfg this woman's emotional."

Eloquent Elocutionist

6,050 Points
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200
Did sanityscraps posts all just disappear? confused Does that just mean I'm blocked or something?

Edit: Ohp, yep, I'm on the ignore list. When in doubt, silence the dissenters!

Rebel Reveler

12,250 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
sanityscraps
prance prance nicker
sanityscraps
prance prance nicker
sanityscraps

Are you ******** serious, you racist piece of s**t? Men of color are not more likely to be violent. They are more likely to be arrested and punished more harshly than white people who committed the same crimes as them, however, but that's a discussion for another day.

Emotion doesn't suddenly make me wrong. Women have an emotional stake in rape culture. Just because I'm angry doesn't mean I'm wrong. Statistics do show us how the world is, however, and you can't just dismiss them because "omfg this woman's emotional."

That "******** serious, you racist piece of s**t" was sort of what I'm trying to get you to see-- how ridiculous your viewpoint, backed up by your "statistics" is coming across to other people. Yes, black people have higher violent crime rates and rape rates than white people. This is more likely due to cultural factors, poverty, urban areas, and a thousand other societal factors that have nothing to do with race, but that doesn't change a statistic that says black people commit rape more than white people.

"Blinded by emotion" is a phrase that carries a good deal of truth in it. So does "blinded by anger." Of course you're emotional, of course you're angry, and to think that only you, or even only women, are the ones affected by rape and rape culture is the offensive epitome of narrow-mindedness. Everyone has a stake in rape culture, regardless of their gender. Just consider that if you put down other people, exclude other people, and try to rationalize it based on numbers-- when numbers cannot encompass people or culture-- you are hurting yourself and your cause, not strengthening it.

Dapper Man-Lover

14,525 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Brandisher 100
sanityscraps

People of color (not just men) are more likely to be violent if you look purely at statistics. But the reason is not racial, it is environmental. Crime rates for ALL races are significantly higher in poor inner-city areas. Blacks disproportionately live in the inner-city areas and therefor as a group have higher rates of crime. Blacks in rural and sub-urban areas have crime rates similar to other races in sub-urban areas. However, if you purely look at the stats 1 in 3 black people have a criminal record and more likely to commit crime. This is why you actually need to think before judging a whole group of people and not just statistics.
prance prance nicker
sanityscraps
prance prance nicker
sanityscraps
prance prance nicker
sanityscraps

That "******** serious, you racist piece of s**t" was sort of what I'm trying to get you to see-- how ridiculous your viewpoint, backed up by your "statistics" is coming across to other people. Yes, black people have higher violent crime rates and rape rates than white people. This is more likely due to cultural factors, poverty, urban areas, and a thousand other societal factors that have nothing to do with race, but that doesn't change a statistic that says black people commit rape more than white people.

"Blinded by emotion" is a phrase that carries a good deal of truth in it. So does "blinded by anger." Of course you're emotional, of course you're angry, and to think that only you, or even only women, are the ones affected by rape and rape culture is the offensive epitome of narrow-mindedness. Everyone has a stake in rape culture, regardless of their gender. Just consider that if you put down other people, exclude other people, and try to rationalize it based on numbers-- when numbers cannot encompass people or culture-- you are hurting yourself and your cause, not strengthening it.

Firstly, educate yourself on our justice system. That's not the topic of this thread, but you're wrong about everything, especially your racist bullshit.

What you're doing is not only proving my point about rape culture, but proving another point about the intersectionality of rape culture and racism, and I wasn't even on that topic.

Emotion still doesn't make me wrong. In fact, it's usually those not affected by oppression that argue to the contrary, because they can afford to not be angry. Rape culture makes women afraid of rape and gives men the social license to operate as rapists if they so choose. I have every right to be scared of men, and it's not wrong to be.

The facts I'm citing are facts. It is statistically and factually sound to be wary of men until I know I can trust them, and that's literally all I'm saying I do. You're putting words in my mouth that I never said and arguing with a straw man.

Dapper Man-Lover

14,525 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Brandisher 100
Yoshpet
Did sanityscraps posts all just disappear? confused Does that just mean I'm blocked or something?

Edit: Ohp, yep, I'm on the ignore list. When in doubt, silence the dissenters!
Feminists have a long history of silencing people who go against their hateful dogma. A great example is Erin Pizzey, who was a feminist herself, but dared to publish a study that showed domestic violence was reciprocal (going against feminist rhetoric that men are always the villain and woman are always the victim.) They threatened her family and ended up killing her dog.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff